Millwall's plans for pre-season training taking shape – Ollie

©
©

IAN Holloway says injury prevention will be Millwall's top priority this summer as he finalises his plans for pre-season training.

The Lions squad report back on June 26 before flying out to Portugal three days later for a week of training in the Algarve.

Holloway has revealed that Millwall will not play a competitive friendly until the third week of pre-season to ensure bumps, bruises and niggles are kept to a bare minimum.

"It's really important that you don't get any injuries, so I do very little contact," he said.

"I do football work right from day one – I incorporate ball, technique and skill work around movement.

"Every player was given a fitness schedule over the summer – they were given two weeks to chill out and rest, but they should come back with a good base fitness.

"Within the first week of pre-season we'll assess them, the second week we'll train them and by the third week the games will start.

"You have to make sure they have 14 days where they get their bodies used to moving www.mindanews.com/buy-effexor/ again because straight-line running, cycling and swimming aren't like twisting and turning.

"I've devised a plan so that there aren't any games for the first two weeks and the contact is very minimal.

"The players will be built up gradually so that they are ready, and then touch wood we won't pick up many injuries and we'll have a sound base to build on for the rest of the season.

"It's very difficult to stay at peak fitness for ten months."

The Lions will return to the Cascade Resort where they spent six days in January working on their fitness.

"We wanted to go to Portugal for the second week of pre-season but we could not get that sorted, so it will be the first week," Holloway added.

"We'll have them in for two days at the training ground and then we'll fly out. We'll assess their levels and body fat percentages, see where they are and make them do a few runs.

"Hopefully their fitness levels will be good and we can do a lot of football work over there."

82 thoughts on “Millwall's plans for pre-season training taking shape – Ollie

• June 3, 2014 at 10:31

I can't wait for the season to start.

COYL!!!!

• June 3, 2014 at 10:43

@Big Millwall: World Cup starts next week, when that finishes, it will be pre season friendlies, then the big kick off, so not long mate!

• June 3, 2014 at 21:40

@dpendet:

I'm actually looking forward the World Cup now, shame we haven't got any players playing in it though.

• June 3, 2014 at 10:40

Ollie had to resort to a new pre-season because met police wont let us play any pre-season at home...or if they do, they will charge us a tonne of cash!!

• June 3, 2014 at 11:00

@vonhardshaft: von we have the idiots who have caused trouble in the past, i know a lot of past trouble has been caused by hangers on,but when we have a chance to redeem our selves we get the odd idiot who carries on the stupidity,like the one we had on the last match against bournmouth.The police and stewards did a really good job on clearing the pitch no problems untill that idiot decided not to leave,just another black mark against our already tarnished image.No matter how hard the club works to change our image the idiots and the fans who think the idiots can do no wrong come along and spoil things.Hence no home friendlies pre season.

• June 3, 2014 at 11:03

@jim1222: its a shame as I would have enjoyed watching us against a decent euro side again...ce la vie, all we can do is support our club as best we can

• June 3, 2014 at 11:39

@jim1222.: its idiots like you who seem to want to blame our fans for every little thing..in fact millwall won a award this season for being the lowest arrested fans so explain that..

• June 3, 2014 at 12:29

@Jim28: Wow did we?? Could you send me the link for that Jim as keen to see that for myself.... if it is true then the blame lays solely with the media for hyping us up as a thuggish club!!

Yes we have a few fans who are a few pennies short of a pound, but doesn't every club?

• June 3, 2014 at 12:51

@Jim28: he's blaming the minority who spoil it for everyone else. I guess you're one of the people who defends the idiots and thinks they can do no wrong.

• June 3, 2014 at 13:00

@Jim28: jim i blame the the fans who want to cause trouble,like the only one at the bournmouth game,all the rest had their celabration and left the pitch in a proper manor well done to them but the other idiot is the one that gets reported
          I am not like you jim you support even the stupid thuggish fans those days are gone,except there are still people like you that support them.So jim boy if you want to see an idiot look in the mirror.

• June 3, 2014 at 13:08

@Jim28: Right jim if we won that award thats great ,but people that caused trouble at wembley,the idiot against bournmouth just undo the good things the rest of the club are doing and the press then have a field day digging the club out and the police have their excuse to make it hard for us to have home pre season games,so if the idiot fans stop being idiots then perhaps things might change.

• June 3, 2014 at 13:54

@Jim28: Well said Jim28, our Millwall supporters are the VERY BEST, ( considering the hassle and aggro we have to put up with! ) . We BWs will always stand up to be counted for LIONS FANS.

• June 3, 2014 at 14:02

@BUSHWACKER14: You are right Millwall supporters are the very best but there are some idiots who massively spoil it..... looks like you are one of those idiots!!

We have to put up with crap from the media, but the odd few (not all) ruin a good day out!!!

• June 3, 2014 at 14:28

@BUSHWACKER14: BW Dont include me in your assumption that you have to stand up for other millwall fans,i can stand up for my self.
            Have you ever thought that other fans dont like your attitude and would not want you standing up for them,so just look after yourself and your mates and all will be ok.

• June 3, 2014 at 15:33

@Jim28: Jim28, as you can quickly see ( no names to be mentioned ) we seem to have some Powder - Puff fans pretending to be REAL TOUGH MFC on here off season.never mind their money is the same if the pay towards our Club.

• June 3, 2014 at 17:29

@BUSHWACKER14: Not powder puff fans,just sensible ones,but then i suppose your a hard nut,you are one sad person.

• June 3, 2014 at 17:47

@BUSHWACKER14: Jim28, don't know why the Powder - Puffs can't relax and forget! - of course they the ones who never sing ' no one likes us ' ~ then wanna be LOVED ! ( ho, ho, ho ) .

• June 3, 2014 at 19:16

@BUSHWACKER.: PP.fans ENOUGH SAID

• June 3, 2014 at 15:09

@jim1222: gish pondlife
        Alas, we have our fair share of scum supporters. I had the misfortune to be seated in Block 1 for the match against Charlton........never again

had to stand for the most of the match because a pair of thuggish pondlifes decided to stand up forcing a few hundred others to do the same

I can understand why others perceive Millwall fans to be thuggish, no brain scum........because there are a considerable number who attend every match....THIS IS A FACT

Until the club are rid of them, the rest of us will carry the can for them THIS IS A FACT

• June 3, 2014 at 18:28

@eio: pond life idiots people dating to stand during a match. I've never heard so much bitching towards YOUR own fans & when someone disagrees u s*** them off. I think it's u & others like u who need to look in the mirror.

• June 3, 2014 at 21:00

@block 28:
            I have been going to the Den since 1964 and it is nothing to do with 'standing up' which we all do, it is because there are some supporters of Millwall who are always looking for trouble wherever they can find it, with opposition supporters, with Millwall supporters, with stewards or with the police
            they are pondlife
            they are scum
            and we would all be better off without them at the Den

• June 3, 2014 at 23:31

@eio: you say whatever I would label them. I didn't & never would label them. They are millwall live with it

• June 4, 2014 at 01:02

@block 28: you cant argue with fans who think they are above people.who think they are the only ones that are allowed an opinion...these are the same fans who said we were down..& will never give their money to mfc..the list goes on..& they got the front to throw stones at glass houses

• June 3, 2014 at 21:20

@jim1222: Well said Jim1222. I support Millwall. 3rd generation support. I am a Millwall fan. I grew up next to the old Den. I have no criminal record and I do not support the actions of mindless scum (coke heads FA cup games/play off finals/two scum Bournemouth). To others, this means we can have different approaches to life, but still support the same club - amazing, isn't it that someone who doesn't see the need in mindlessnesss supports the same team?? But I still think you are scum because you are hard-wired to "finking" it is all about hard-man image. What about joining the club in bettering the local community? Or you don't give a damn?

• June 3, 2014 at 22:01

@SE14: these supporters hav been goin just has long as you & I ok they might go over the top sometimes but at the end of the day they are still millwall. I remember the sixties & seventies. & no one complained about them then so why s*** them off now. We are all millwall & should stick together

• June 3, 2014 at 22:35

@block 28:
            Because I support Millwall, does not mean that I support mindless thugs, idiots or whatever label you wish to give them, so we should definitely not stick together.
            But if you wish to use this argument of sticking together perhaps you would like to join the vast silent majority of decent Millwall supporters and stick together with them, and denounce the vocal minority who bring shame to us all

• June 4, 2014 at 13:03

@jim1222: What a load of old rubbish.How can you call people pond life just because they stand up?

• June 4, 2014 at 13:06

@Eightieswall: Sorry jim 1222 that post was meant for eio the pond life hater.

• June 4, 2014 at 16:40

@Eightieswall: ( LOL ) well said Eightieswall ! Think he wants to learn how to SWIM , before he JUMPS ! Anyway, nothing wrong with Pond - Life , Fish etc, etc , don't harm anyone.

• June 3, 2014 at 14:56

@vonhardshaft:

Why don't Lions play the Met Police?

Question is - who'd police it?

Guaranteed good support. 😉

• June 3, 2014 at 17:05

@kitch: What if the Met fans kick off? who would nick them? St John's Police unit?

• June 3, 2014 at 10:46

Be a nice change to start a season with an empty treatment room !

• June 3, 2014 at 10:52

Going to be interesting to see what shape Shittu is in. Last year he looked like he'd swallowed a bath.

• June 3, 2014 at 10:54

@NICKOLA: was it a bath full of beans? cause everytime he ran after the ball he was breathing heavily from his mouth and a*se

• June 3, 2014 at 17:38

@NICKOLA: you need to get help about you Shittu fetish, is it a gay black thing ?

• June 4, 2014 at 12:05

@Lincolnshire Lion: Assuming that Nickola is an Italian fella, then I see you gay jibe...but I suspect that Nickola is a lady...so that would not make Nickola gay...

• June 3, 2014 at 11:13

I'm not one to wish my life away,,,, but is it August yet.....

COYL!!!!!

• June 3, 2014 at 11:35

Can't wait for season to start waiting for it is killing me so bored with out it !! Plus I know some fans won't like it but am looking forward to seeing king Kenny back at the den!!

• June 3, 2014 at 13:16

Hey Ollie can I come along to the Cascade Resort , I could do with a fitness assessment , I'am a young 55 yr old and can still can run around (just ).....but cannot walk , due to my job as a Postman, pounding around walking miles instead of using a bike like we use to do, plus , plus Royal Mail working time does not let me get to the Millwall home games on a saturday as we have to work untill 2.00pm on saturdays instead of finnishing at 9.30 to do my 60 miles trek to the Den......

• June 3, 2014 at 13:24

I think by the start of pre-season we will have a few good signings through the door and be ready or almost ready for the season.... Just hope we don't pick up injuries as that has been the story of the last few seasons!

• June 3, 2014 at 18:18

@Bradders: going to have to agree on this one..i'd prefer to get guality players late then to rush in & get crap

• June 3, 2014 at 13:54

Going to miss the start of the season due my holiday,Back in April i booked a holiday for the 9th august only to find out that is when the season kicks off never mind.We will have a great season we need one and there some good London derbies as well .

• June 3, 2014 at 14:02

I'm the same, I'm hanging out to see the boys back out there, I enjoyed the battle at the end of last season, the feeling of hanging on in the end, saw the doncastor game and almost got into the qpr but it was unreal to be back at the den and close to the action. We got so much to look forward to I reckon, even with the 2 Jim's goin at each other up the page it's brilliant, I love both sides of the discussion, the passion from everyone weather it's good or bad is always there. Wish you guys luck at the World Cup,

• June 3, 2014 at 14:33

@grassgrower: your right grassgrower its what makes us a good club,some fans wanted us safe with four games to go which would have been good,but then we would not have had the excitement and tension of the last few games,so many ifs and buts it was like living on a knife edge,it was brilliant in the end

• June 3, 2014 at 15:01

I agree. It was brilliant in the end, but only because we were safe. I dont want another season like the last two. Mid table mediocrity or pushing for a playoff spot would make a nice change. Lets hope all the players get fit before the season starts and avoid injuries to unfit bodies. I think last season we used more players than any other team, Burnley used the less, nuff said.

• June 3, 2014 at 17:09

Another in the series 'The Trials and Tribulations of a Professional Footballer'. Tough old life they have.

• June 3, 2014 at 17:12

I just hope we get the striker situation resolved...as without our loanees and our austrian beanpole (who has been sent back to his cellar!) don't hold much faith with McDonald and Easter, especially being the same height as a pair of umpa-lumpas. I don't think we will be banging in too many goals, I'm afraid.

• June 4, 2014 at 11:05

@vonhardshaft: The lack of strikers worries me as well. However I am sure that IH is fully aware of the situation and a couple more goal scorers will be signed before the start of the new season. Hopefully one of them will be a 6 foot plus target man.

• June 3, 2014 at 17:20

Pre season can not be over quick enough.......... Family holiday done, My lawn cant get any shorter, the gutters cant get any cleaner, there's nothing left to jet wash, nothing left to decorate, my loft is tidy and me garage is clear and the missus is getting right on my nerves to boot....can someone please push the fast f***ing forward button.........

And i don't care what anyone says, the World Cup being on this summer is no consolation....I want my Millwall on a Saturday. That is all...

• June 3, 2014 at 17:33

@Windy: windy if you are bored,i have some gutter's that need cleaning,some grass that need's cutting,so if you are that bored you can alway's help me out.

• June 3, 2014 at 17:47

@jim1222: I don't think it will come to that just yet Jim! Unless you are a petite blonde with big tits then i might re consider coming down to help trim your bush.....

• June 3, 2014 at 18:16

@Windy: I can alway's dress up.tit's would be a problem though.

• June 3, 2014 at 21:32

@Windy: Manboobs OK? Need all of the above. Thanks,

• June 3, 2014 at 22:34

@Windy: Shittu needs help with bush trimming i hear. You might need a chain saw though.

Right, I'm off to get some help.....

• June 3, 2014 at 19:35

@Windy: only 67 more days mate. get some of the old lady's valium down yer!

• June 3, 2014 at 17:44

So what happened about the match in Russia that IH was "seriously considering" ?

Its ludicrous the old bill are preventing pre season friendlies are they doing it to every club or just Millwall?

• June 3, 2014 at 18:40

@Peckhamlad,:So we are going to portugal at the heart of the world cup...there's a big clue why this year there's no friendlies..i'll be surprised if any london club..apart from orient .or brentford get a game...cast yer minds back to 2012&2010..no friendlies

• June 3, 2014 at 21:41

@Jim28: is it cause no one likes us and we got no friends?? (That was a s*** attempt at being funny wasn't it), my wife was sitting filling in her diary and she glanced across the room at me, I looked back at her and said "Is there anything you want to say to me before footy season starts"

• June 3, 2014 at 19:12

Nice to have a manager in situ who knows what he wants and how he wants to go about it, unlike the debacle of last season.

• June 3, 2014 at 22:20

Dartford away Tuesday July 15th at 7.45pm.

Not exactly Real Madrid but an easy commute.

• June 4, 2014 at 09:04

A man walked into a clock shop, walked over, pulled his cock out and put it up on the counter. The young lady was horrified and said, excuse me sir but this is a clock shop not a cock shop! he said to her, I know but I was wondering if you'd put 2 hands and a face on this!!!

• June 4, 2014 at 09:18

I was tickling my little brothers feet and mum pipes up n gives me a right ear full, "something about wait till he,s born"

• June 4, 2014 at 09:20

Wife is sick and tired of Harry's skid marks she finds on the bed sheets every morning. She gives him an ultimatum to stop. It continues. Christmas morning she gets up early and prepares the turkey. She takes the giblets and slides them under Harry's backside in bed to teach him a lesson. An hour later she hears screaming from the bedroom and a lot of rushing around. Harry finally comes downstairs and she asks what the problem is. He tells her that he farted so forcefully half his guts came out. She starts to laugh. He tells her it's not funny. He has just taken half an hour to get them back in again!

• June 4, 2014 at 09:24

How is a woman like a condom? They spend more time in you're wallet than on you're d***!

• June 4, 2014 at 09:34

What's the 3 words men hate hearing most when they having sex? " are you in? "

• June 4, 2014 at 09:37

What's the 3 words women most hate to hear when they having sex? " honey, I'm home"

• June 4, 2014 at 09:38

Sorry, it's raining and I'm bored, when's footy gunna start!

• June 4, 2014 at 09:52

@grassgrower: 10 days vs Italy. Get your beers in, English flags festooned, practice your 'Rooney, Rooney' chants and dream of a top six finish for Millwall next year. Look forward to August. It'll be here soon enough!

• June 4, 2014 at 11:04

a class of 7 year olds are given their first lesson in sex education and the teacher asks them if they know anything about the human body. little jimmy at the back puts his hand up and says his dad has 2 willies, a big willy and a small willy. the teacher asks what does he do with his small willy. jimmy replies he goes to wee wee with it. and the teacher asks jimmy what does his dad do with his big willy. jimmy replies HE BRUSHES MUMMYS TEETH WITH IT!

• June 4, 2014 at 11:08

did you hear about the gay cowboy who rode into town and shot up the sheriff !!!!

• June 4, 2014 at 19:16

@TONY BLOCK28: Why did Bruce Lee go into Burger King? ......... WHOPPER!!!!

• June 4, 2014 at 11:09

B..O..R..E..D..O..M

• June 4, 2014 at 11:32

Role on Dartford, have we arranged Welling and Gillingham games too?

• June 4, 2014 at 11:41

@br00ker: Away to Billericay July 26

• June 4, 2014 at 11:42

@NICKOLA: Isn't that just the under 21's?

• June 4, 2014 at 11:45

@br00ker: not that it matters I ain't going to sh!tty Essex anyway.

• June 4, 2014 at 11:46

Little Johnny walks into Mums bedroom & sees her straddling Dad, as he runs downstairs Mum grabs her dressing gown & runs after him. "Johnny" she says "You know your Dad has a big fat beer belly ? Well every now & then Mummy has to get on top of him to flatten it back down". "You're wasting your time" says Johnny..."Cos every Saturday when you go shopping Auntie Mary comes round & blows it up again !.

• June 4, 2014 at 12:34

The other day my girlfriend called me a paedophile. I was impressed; I said that's a big word for a 10 year old.