Holloway holds first meetings with Millwall transfer targets

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

IAN Holloway is meeting with two of his summer transfer targets this morning as Millwall step up their search for new recruits.

Holloway will have face-to-face discussions with four free agents over the next fortnight and will sit down with two of them today.

"I have got two meetings this morning with two players, and I'm waiting for two others to come back from holiday who I'm going to chat with," Holloway told the Southwark News.

"These players are available on free transfers because I'm allowed to meet with them.

"We are weighing up how those deals could affect some other options that we might be able to purchase, but it's all got to fit into my plan and where we're going.

"Age is very important in terms of how we're going to build the squad. It's quite exciting.

"It's vital that I meet with these players. I don't sign anybody willy-nilly – the only time I did that was with Stefan Maierhofer, but that was a calculated guess.

"It's well-documented that we had too many senior players last year so I've got to redress the balance to get some enthusiasm in the team."

One of the players Holloway is due to sit down with is former Yeovil Town defender Byron Webster, who we revealed last week is on Millwall's radar.

The Lions have back-up targets for each position they want to strengthen but Holloway is fully focused on landing the names at the top of his shortlist.

"Everybody I speak to has got to know that they are the one I want," he said.

"I won't let people down because I'm fully committed in every deal that I do. If I can't do the deal, they'll know that it is their choice, not mine and I'll give up and go somewhere else.

"I want players who could get better deals and bigger money elsewhere but want to come to Millwall and play my type of football. Those are the ones I'm looking for.

"Is it about skill or willpower? What's more important? You've got to want it.

"At any company, if you hire a new person he better be the right type of person otherwise he'll disrupt the whole office."

76 thoughts on “Holloway holds first meetings with Millwall transfer targets

• May 29, 2014 at 09:49

That's the way Ollie ( Millwall FC ) this is the news us fans want to hear. Keep it up Ollie and we will get going this year.....not next or the year after!

• May 29, 2014 at 09:50

Busy few weeks ahead by the sounds of it.

• May 29, 2014 at 09:52

Hope we bid on some exciting young players like Odubajo from Orient.

• May 29, 2014 at 10:04

Chuks aneke who got released from arsenal for me please

• May 29, 2014 at 10:06

Four free agents here we go again..

• May 29, 2014 at 15:59

@Jim28: might be Rio and Lampard 😉

• May 29, 2014 at 10:17

its a bit of a worry when you here free agents which means their present club cant afford to keep them or they are no bloody good, lets hope for the best.

• May 29, 2014 at 10:39

@butty: I understand what you mean but then again they could be very good youngsters from the likes of Arsenal or other Perm clubs who weren't given a chance.... remember there are a load of quality players in the prem and championship who were released at a young age!!

I'm just glad we are going for youngsters with something to prove rather than has beens who just want a large salary for a couple of years before retirement!!

• May 29, 2014 at 10:59

@Bradders: Rejected youth players are a good source of talent, but I do wonder how they will adapt to playing for Millwall when they have been brought up in an environment where they have been molly-coddled their whole life. I just think these Prem rejects suffer from delusions of success and grandeur and really need a swift and hard wake-up call.

• May 29, 2014 at 11:16

@glyngo: I completely agree, with Holloway he will be telling them how it is, knuckle down and work hard.... the good thing with their youth is they have been brought up playing football in the right way and already have the philosophy which Holloway wants!!

• May 29, 2014 at 10:23

this man is fast becoming a favorite. you have to admire his commitment and work ethic. im sure we will end up with a cracking team next year! COYL!!!

• May 29, 2014 at 10:33

All sounds good to me, in some ways, I am more interested in who we are moving out though.

• May 29, 2014 at 10:59

@glyngo: Was thinking taht myself. What's happened to Morison? W eonly had him on a season long loan so guess he's gone back to Leeds. Can't remember what the situation is with Chaplow contract wise. Abdou and Wright are presumably up for loan. ???

• May 29, 2014 at 11:18

@NICKOLA: Chaplow signed on a 2 year contract and so did MacDonald... unfortunately!! I'm hoping Wright and Abdou both go along with either Robbo or Shittu, I just want to see a bit of youth in the team for once after 7 years of b******s

• May 29, 2014 at 11:01

We are only looking at free agents? Player are out of contract for a reason.

• May 29, 2014 at 12:24

@Glasshalffull: No, we are looking at players under contract too, it says on the article above "The Lions are also set to submit bids for players on their shortlist who are under contract at other clubs.".

• May 29, 2014 at 11:20

I understand the concern that some people have about free agents. However do note that some of these players have also chosen not to extend their contracts as they are seeking new challenges. It's not only because they are not good enough at their current club. I just hope that whoever we bring in they will fit the bill. I remember all the excitement about the players we signed last year, which only ended up in bitter frustration. I think Ollie knows what he's doing and hopefully next season will be onwards and upwards!

• May 29, 2014 at 11:22

Rumours are Blackpool are looking at putting a bid in for Andre Gray!!

If there is 1 player I want Millwall to sign it would be him because he is an exciting talent and only 20-odd

• May 29, 2014 at 11:26

@Bradders: Maybe he's one of those with Ollie today?

• May 29, 2014 at 11:31

@NICKOLA: I'd like to think so, but Ollie has said the guys he is speaking to are out of contract.... Andre Gray will be a purchase at around £3-500k I reckon!

• May 29, 2014 at 14:15

@Bradders :i doubt if millwall have scouted luton.seeing they cant be bothered to go to dulwich to scout..a young attacking midfielder felt it was time to step up into league football..luton look certain to land him..as you know theres' been others

• May 29, 2014 at 14:58

@Jim28: Are you sure you aren't a West Spam fan or Charlton scum?? All your comments are ridiculously negative!

Here we have a manager who is looking at our scouting network, not only right across the UK but Europe as well.... of course as a club we will miss some but looks as though more emphasis will be on our local network, so that should please you Jimbo!!

• May 29, 2014 at 17:31

@Bradders: i have supported millwall home & away for 46years .neveer thoupht of being a fan of any other club.(now or ever)..and has for being negative your sadly misjudged my post...and to call someone vermin just to win a row is rather childish brad me old mate

• May 29, 2014 at 18:47

@Bradders: Jim28 is one of our STRONGEST MILLWALL supporters we have, along with others like STORMIN' & BLOCK28. So please allow him to have his Opinion on here. ( we BWs support REAL MIllwall Fans, sorry Bradders ).

• May 30, 2014 at 15:29

@BUSHWACKER14: Pathetic old men I see, what makes you & they so STRONG? As long as you have blue blood and Millwall is in your heart then we are all in the same boat and REAL MILLWALL!!

Don't see the need for rubbish negative b******s, when actually what Jim wrote wasn't opinionated!! "i doubt if millwall have scouted luton. seeing they cant be bothered to go to dulwich to scout" is just an assumption, not an opinion...... I have no issues with opinions

• May 29, 2014 at 11:28

Wolves have bid £1 million for Sheffield Wed centre back Harry Maguire, Millwall could not find that money so KJ must have plenty to spend. They might be a force to contend with in the championship next season, we must strengthen our side to avoid another horror season and am confident IH knows what to do.

• May 29, 2014 at 16:45

@Peckhamlad: wolves will get the last parachute payment from premier league around 15m + thats why they can spend a mil or two.

• May 29, 2014 at 11:38

How comes most of us fans on here can see andre gray would be great player for us yet get the feeling millwall have not even checked him out, hope they have.

• May 29, 2014 at 12:55

@foxy: I'm not 100% sure about him he plays well in the conference some work out well (Morrison) at first not last seasons Morrison. Or we could depend another £500k on a McQuiod. £500k would be too much for Gray

• May 29, 2014 at 13:38

@Lincolnshire Lion: No chance, the boys pace alone is worth £500k, he skips past defenders with ease and he can hold a ball up as well!! over 60 goals in 2 seasons in the conference isn't bad for someone who is in their early 20's....

• May 29, 2014 at 21:14

@SE14: he's still at bournemouth, but was loaned out to Peterborough until the end of the season.

• May 30, 2014 at 09:25

@lukesmithmfc: Thanks. Had a look over Dosh McQuid's career. 21 goals in 169 games. Over 500k?

• May 29, 2014 at 11:53

Ollie has got a huge task on his hands trying to bring in players who don't care about wages but I wish him luck. Anyone he does get is buying into Millwall's philosophy and that will bode well for next season.
    IOWT

• May 29, 2014 at 11:54

Many years ago Spurs wanted to get rid of some of the youth players...Keith Weller of 18 grand and Derek Possee for 25 grand..dont be too sure that younger players at Premier clubs dont have the right attitude...maybe bit need somebody to believe in them

• May 29, 2014 at 12:16

@peter2545: Keith Weller, my favourite Millwall player of all time, closely followed by Teddy. Fantastic talent

• May 29, 2014 at 12:25

@beedoscores: agree with you,one of the best signings from non league Bryen King to me Millwalls best ever keeper

• May 29, 2014 at 13:05

@eddiebrewer: Agree about Bryan King, and he still comes back every now and then

• May 29, 2014 at 18:12

@eddiebrewer:
          And to my mind the keeper who was even better then King (who had the occasional issue with crosses) - Alex Stepney from the mighty Tooting!

• May 29, 2014 at 12:56

@beedoscores: my favourite as well closely followed by Gordon Hill.

• May 29, 2014 at 13:48

@Lincolnshire Lion: Phil Walker and Trevor Lee both came from non-league Sutton, not sure where Millwall got John Fashanu from but he was dynamite in front of goal. There are players out there, they need finding but the scouting set-up needs improving.

• May 29, 2014 at 15:02

@Peckhamlad: think he came from Lincoln city not sure though course not forgetting Neil Harris

• May 29, 2014 at 15:29

@Peckhamlad: Phil Walker and Trevor Lee came from Epsom & Ewell.Walker was a classy goalscoring midfielder.

• May 29, 2014 at 16:47

@Peckhamlad: fash came from lincoln city.

• May 29, 2014 at 12:43

Nice Ollie.

• May 29, 2014 at 13:09

About some of the comments on here, Ollie is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Many people are asking for Millwall to look at lower league youngsters, and I am sure many of them will be out of contract. Also, there are players from all clubs that are either released or at the end of a contract who maybe didn't get a look in for whatever reason, maybe the manager didn't fancy them etc, but we can't write players off just because they haven't got a deal. Also, what type of money do you think we have to spend on transfer fees? Not a lot I think. If you look at players we have that are out of contract, Forde, Martin etc, does that make them s***?

• May 29, 2014 at 14:21

@beedoscores: Very true , Ollie did say he knew what he wants in a player & that they have to fit into his plans, all said & done seems Ollie has a bit of shopping to do , we all know that , however if he can get a few free be's that are capable of doing a good & professional job for Millwall then thats good, as said previously we have had some very good players from the non league in the past , also i think it would be good to know that if Ollie needed a player, that the club / board would extend that little bit extra to get him.

• May 29, 2014 at 19:04

@beedoscores: As most regulars on here know I'm not part of the 'Ollie' bandwagon just yet, but you're spot on. He has a budget and has to operate within that budget, same as Lomas and Jackett before him. What I find encouraging is his consistent message re reducing the age of the squad, this augurs well for the future. As others have said, there is plenty of young talent being released from over stocked Premiership academies, some of these are former under age internationals and many must have something to offer. You can't tar all young players with the same brush re having a prima donna attitude either. We have had some good young loanees with the right attitude over the past few years.

• May 29, 2014 at 14:16

As I have said before I would like to see Benik Afobe back on loan from Arsenal and I read somewhere Nigel Reo-Coker is looking for a move back to England, preference Championship football. Now I know he would be another senior experienced player but I would love to see him lined up next to Bailey in the Defensive Midfield position. I always remember him being an intelligent, tough tacking goal scoring midfielder. We would be rock solid with him and Bailey at the heart of the team.

• May 29, 2014 at 14:31

@Bexley_Lion: Reo Coker ex whu , dont you think ex whu players have done enough damage to our club ie lomas, apart from that we need some youngsters in the squad , so we can move forward

• May 29, 2014 at 14:57

@Jingles: Dennis Burnett...Harry Cripps...Brian Dear....Jim Standen...all ex WHU players who did a lot of good with us

• May 29, 2014 at 15:06

@peter2545: well said getting fed up because they were with West Ham also Lawrie Leslie,Harry Obeney the were good have to disagree about Brien Dear fat and useless

• May 29, 2014 at 18:21

@eddiebrewer:
            Brian Dear was indeed a total embarrassment - meanwhile though how about Anton Otulakowski and one of our best managers, Benny Fenton.

• May 29, 2014 at 15:21

@peter2545: My apologies !! though we are going back a few years with those players, in recent years we havent had any success with ex whu players or managers , lomas being the last, along with the ex west ham goalkeeper he bought with him whose name escapes me thank god, personally i would prefer us not to have any of whu rejects.

• May 29, 2014 at 16:50

@Jingles: ex spam keeper is pisswater

• May 29, 2014 at 17:51

@Jingles: have to agree about bywater gives me the jitters every time ball goes near him so god knows what the defense thinks

• May 29, 2014 at 15:46

As posted a while ago , I think it is important for any new signings to need to buy into Millwall. Not just because Ollie has offered more than any other club. Footballers generally are an arrogant bunch and as soon as things go belly up, they start throwing their comfort blankets out of the pram. Ollie seems to have an ideal and should stick to that and encourage good proffessionals to come to our club and give their all for the Lions.

• May 29, 2014 at 16:37

Andre Gray needs to be signed....

• May 29, 2014 at 17:29

Good to see that Holloway is not rushing in and buying players who do not have pride in wearing the blue shirt

• May 29, 2014 at 19:00

Clear out all the older, nothing to prove strikers, get in players Andre Gray, Chuks Aneke etc! Then replace players like Wright and Adbou with someone like Odubajo or another youngster from the lower league and along with Woolford, Martin, Williams and Upson, that's a bloody useful midfield! One or two young defenders and a new keeper and we'll be shooting up the table next season

• May 29, 2014 at 19:42

@James_SE16: Remember we have Fred and a few other good youth players who are knocking at the door.

• May 29, 2014 at 19:17

FORD ex west ham, so what

• May 29, 2014 at 20:16

I don't think this is even off-topic: when was the last world cup without any Millwall player? Must be some decades, no?

• May 29, 2014 at 22:21

@SE14: ex millwall tim cahill aussies!

• May 30, 2014 at 09:50

@SE14: If it wasn't for Ireland and Australia, we wouldn't have much to crow about, but you are right, this is the first one for quite some time.

• May 30, 2014 at 21:46

@SE14: actually Millwall does have a connection with this World Cup, Glen Johnson.

• May 29, 2014 at 22:40

Looking forward to seeing what Fred can do next season! Expecting big things

• May 30, 2014 at 11:25

Just read the South London Press today with a great article by Harford about future signings from Europe. It looks like we are thinking outside of the box, which is so refreshing in building a successful long term plan for the club. I said about 9 months ago, we could have found lots of right backs in Italy or Spain, when I was not convinced with Dunne. (To be honest, I was impressed with the commitment and character he did show afterwards, and I will always hold my hands up when I am wrong. I was happy for him, and Millwall fans won't forget that ever.)

I used to write articles in a few Italian papers on Serie A, and spent years watching games for Napoli and AC Milan. My family is Millwall through and through, watched every game from aged 5-21. I just wanted to say that the difference between Italians leagues and England's are huge. If we can get the players to watch Italian football every week, they will progress so much quicker. It is slower, players do tend to defend in a third of the pitch, but movement, technique and game strategy is on another dimension. Some Millwall supporters have been stuck in a bubble for too long, they slaughter managers far too quickly, and then after a few wins they are back to complimenting again. They do not understand how clubs have become successful, even with the money spent, you need the correct procedures in place.

I have been very impressed with Harford, I have liked nearly everyone of his signings. All the people criticising him, do not know what they are talking about. Lomas was not a good 'player' coach, he did not know how to build a strong mentality in the squad, he thought changing the team every week, to make players prove themselves would work. No player was confident at all, Holloway has totally transformed that. He's shown the players the full picture, given them a lesson in life, that basically anything is possible if you want it enough and you can visualise it. Holloway will feel great having Harford by his side. We will get a few wide men in, and a couple of strikers hopefully, and address the concerning issues.

I will tell you exactly why we failed in the first half of last season. It was Trotter, Feeney and a couple of there 'mates'. I used to see them walking about Bromley together, eating at Nando's, thinking they were the dog's b*******. They were like little kids, dressed up like a MTV music video. They ruined the club's dressing room, because they did not care of the squad- just themselves, and when we would go 1 down, these players would start giving looks and bring the energy and confidence levels down. Thank god we got rid of the 'disease' in the squad.

If we are looking to bring in young players, I would urge Harford to get in contact with Napoli. Rafael Benitez is a brilliant guy, and believe it or not a lot of Napoli supporters actually support Millwall. (They have huge respect for our fans- and are basically the equivalent of Millwall in Italy) Also Harford needs to contact Parma and Atalanta for upcoming youth, they have some great kids in the pipeline. (from what my Italians have told me) Maybe get the Napoli and Parma under 21's over here to play ours, thats a good way of noticing players.

Anyway, good luck to everyone for next season. I told everyone to believe in Holloway, he understands life not just football, and that is key to 'attracting' the right energy. Once everyone visualises the club succeeding, the reality will manifest. It' all about putting the right elements together to build a solid compound, every element has to be in perfect harmony together. Thats the right players, training, diet, mind set, endurance, match sharpness, having no fear,energy levels, visualisation techniques- the list goes on and on. C'MON MILLWALL! JB deserves it. Nice one Aldo, great site here mate.

• May 30, 2014 at 13:01

@Alexdangelo: Nice piece. Though didn't Watford play with most of Udinese's youth players and that was not exactly a resounding success. I take your point regarding slower pace and technique etc but that will not always translate in the English Championship which is all a bit hurly burly. IOWT

• May 30, 2014 at 19:34