Contract talks "ongoing" with Millwall duo, says Holloway

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL remain in talks with out-of-contract duo Lee Martin and David Forde.

Lions boss Ian Holloway says retaining Martin and Forde for next year is his top priority and that he is "trying to negotiate as far as I can" with the pair.

But Holloway has also cautioned that Millwall will not pay over the odds for any player this summer and that deals will only be signed off if they make financial sense.

"Negotiations are ongoing," Holloway said.

"I really want Lee to stay and I like him. I want to finish up at the other end of the table next season and I believe Lee can take us there.

"He was a big part of our run at the end of last season and we get on really well, so I would like to work with him again.

"But as with anybody, I only want to work with them if the deal is right for the club.

"I know I will lose a lot of people because I won't be able to get the deals right, but I don't expect us to be at the top-end of the league in terms of our budget.

"We did not get value-for-money last year so we need to control our spending and not let it edge upwards and upwards.

"We should be giving a player an incentive to come to play for me because I can teach him to be better at his job.

"We need to convince all of our targets to play for the right amount of money and play out of their skin so that we get better value.

"Last year, we spent too much for the performances we were getting and too much for the attitude we were getting.

"Millwall without the right attitude is useless. I would suggest the attitude the players have got to show is the attitude of the supporters.

"In other words, we're all so passionate about our football club that it hurts and we need to harness that.

"With that on our side, we can be a force to be reckoned with – so it isn't about how much a player is earning at all. Other clubs may do that, but we won't."

Asked for an update on Forde, Holloway added: "I want Fordey to stay for the right reasons but he might have played himself out of my budget and I can't help that.

"If he has, no problem. I would much rather start the season with him in goal than anybody else, but I'm not in control of that situation.

"When I took over, he was letting his contract run out. I have got to get value-for-money for my goalkeepers and saleable assets are really important, particularly for us in the future.

"We are not talking to anybody else in Lee or David's positions, we are just trying to secure those two. I'm trying to negotiate as far as I can before we go anywhere else."

51 thoughts on “Contract talks "ongoing" with Millwall duo, says Holloway

• May 28, 2014 at 11:19

Take em to soho tonite, get on the p*** with em and when they blind ask em to sign sum autographs, they won't realise it's a contract!

• May 28, 2014 at 11:21

'Millwall without the right attitude is useless.'

For once I fully trust a manager with the running of our club. He just gets it!

• May 28, 2014 at 11:33

Sounds like Forde is on his way to me.
    Better start budgeting for his replacement.

• May 28, 2014 at 11:41

@NICKOLA: Not bothered about Forde. Getting Player of the Season must have cheered him up no end as it will have added to his new contract cost. But he's really not consistent enough to break the Bank to sign.

• May 28, 2014 at 12:13

@junkmale: like you could never make my mind up about Forde seems get beaten a lot by shots across the area,if he don't want to play for us just go plenty of good keepers about

• May 28, 2014 at 11:46

@NICKOLA: I too could not care if he went.Too many errors and strange decisions,I am sure we could find better.

• May 28, 2014 at 11:37

As much as I would love to see a team full of talented players that are performing for the pride of wearing the shirt rather than the size of their pay packet, that's not the way modern football works. If this is our recruitment strategy for the forthcoming season, I predict another relegation dogfight.

• May 28, 2014 at 12:24

@Hedgehog: I don't totally disagree, but Martin was OK for the last few games but not up to much before that so I doubt there are going to be many clubs knocking his door down with massive money, and Forde is looking North so I say thanks and goodbye. I think a season of mid table mediocrity is something to look forward to, some bigger gates and maybe some ambition the season after, but following the last seasons debacle, I'm not expecting too much

• May 28, 2014 at 12:56

@beedoscores: offering these 2 players a one year contract makes no sense & i think its insultrng..i for one hope they stick 2 fingers up at the board

• May 28, 2014 at 12:50

@Hedgehog: What you are saying seems fair and I also agree with most of it, but Ollie has got a full pre-season and also hopefully he can add some backbone to the squad and like Beedoscores has said mid table will do fine for me as well.
      Lets wait and see once they all come back from there hols, he still needs to move a couple or three on and then lets hope he can get someon who will be as impressive as Carlos Edwards on a free.

• May 28, 2014 at 12:56

I'd love Forde to stay but whatever happens that useless c*** Bywater must go. He is absolute dog s***.

• May 28, 2014 at 13:14

We need to maybe look to the US for another Keller those yanks are good with their hands and would probably come here for few seasons in shop window... Keller was a fine example of a goal keeper with passion!!!

• May 28, 2014 at 22:21

@JONO: I've got a season ticket to the Galaxy and their keeper at the moment is from Panama, Jaime Penedo. Also got a young guy Gyasi Zardes, scores goals and fast. Would have scored more if "Keane" would pass to him.

• May 28, 2014 at 13:17

A good keeper is a good keeper full stop... I would love to see a bit more of the young black fella we have in pre season too...

• May 28, 2014 at 13:38

@JONO: nollaway said hes in favour of youth & seems to like martin..then he offers him 1 year deal knowing he wont take it..as for fordey who loves mfc...some fans have trust in olly., cant see wots its based on

• May 28, 2014 at 14:27

@Jim28: true Jim offering Martin a one year deal is a bit harsh... But I would not say Forde loves Millwall though he's would leave in a flash for a bigger club... So would most to be fair though... If he's after more money in my eyes let him go look elsewhere for it... He makes superb saves but also lets bobblers from outside the box drift pass him so I'm in two minds

• May 28, 2014 at 17:37

@JONO: From all accounts Denzil gerrar is looking good for a young lad, maybe not quite ready for the first team but defintiely good enough to replace Bywater.

• May 28, 2014 at 15:27

We do like the fact that Ollie mentioned the Millwall Supporters, and players should look to their passion with MFC. It's the way LIONS Fans have been like for years and years and years. ( that's why we are the FAMOUS MILLWALL ) .

• May 28, 2014 at 15:33

Martin is holding out for a 2 year contract. He wants to stay at the club as he has family local and is planning to get married. Its not about the money.

• May 28, 2014 at 15:56

@SE26 l tottaly agree..olly not so long ago said man utd messed him about when he was younger..now the mental one is doing the same..can we honestly take this man's word for anything he says....

• May 28, 2014 at 16:29

@SE26: Martin was injured a lot last season and didn't play in that many games. Why not offer him a compromise deal like we have Edwards? A 1 year contract with a 1 year extension if he plays a certain number of games?

• May 28, 2014 at 18:01

@denslions: As I understod it, we have him under contract for another year if we want him anyway as there was a clause in his contract that allows the club to take him for another year if they activate it. What is probably happening is that we have offered him longer on teh same money but he wants more cash or an even longer contract (3 rather than 2 years, perhaps). Or both.

• May 28, 2014 at 19:17

@junkmale: I thought he was only on a 1 year contract which expires at the end of June . This article opens with the sentence " Talks are ongoing with out of contract duo David Forde and Lee Martin" which is why I thought this was the case. Others have said he has only been offered a 1 year contract renewal and wants a longer one. Excuse me if I am wrong.

• May 28, 2014 at 21:20

@denslions: The Newsatden article about his signing says "NewsAtDen understands there is a further 12-month option in the deal." but not sure if that was confirmed or not?

• May 29, 2014 at 09:03

@denslions: @MFC Lion: I suppose like any one he wants security. I do know he wants a longer contract. He's been a good player for us. Under Lomas he struggled but under Ollie he can bring the best out of him as we started to see towards the end of the season. Since we lost Henry to Wolves we have had nothing to replace him. Lee fits the mold and I still think we haven't seen the best of him. The injury he got at QPR was a bad one he got studded in his knee and had to have stitches inside and out. Malone and Martin on the Left will cause any team problems.

Forde.... he makes me nervous. Some of his desicions at set pieces... He's Millwall through and through but think there are better Keepers out there.

• May 28, 2014 at 17:38

@SE26: He's worth two years, if he is as pivotal as Ollie says, they should offer that deal. I can't believe that is the only sticking point in the negotiations.

• May 29, 2014 at 08:46

@glyngo: we don't seem to have a problem giving out contracts to crap players so why the problem in a 2 year deal for a good player?

We don't exactly have loads of wingers so unless it's a money issue offer him 2 years.

• May 28, 2014 at 17:10

The only problem as far as offering Martin the same deal as Edwards is that if Martin does have a good season he can walk away & we don't get nothing stupid offer.

• May 28, 2014 at 17:51

Yeah they are all queuing up for you David, either sign or f*** off now.

• May 28, 2014 at 18:15

Can any of Forde's critics name an experienced alternative that we could afford?

• May 28, 2014 at 18:39

@lion.ie: Matt gilks of Blackpool

• May 28, 2014 at 20:54

@lion.ie: just about any of the other 23 Championship keepers

• May 31, 2014 at 15:57

@junkmale: I would much rather have forde than any of the other keepers in our league...

• May 28, 2014 at 19:03

Joe murphy of coventry is out of contract aswell quality keeper

• May 28, 2014 at 19:24

Wow I'm missing some Millwall action, can't believe I just watched a video on grass (not the good kind) on lions player. C'mon ollie give us some decent transfer news

• May 28, 2014 at 19:39

Le Fondre gone to Cardiff. £3-4 million perhaps?

Depressing that a team gets given a load of money to poach players as a reward for being the shittest team in the Premiership.

Weakens Reading I guess which is a plus, they're in major debt (rumoured that chairman considering selling for £1!) so won't reinvest it.

• May 28, 2014 at 21:30

@MFC Lion: When he was at Rotherham a few seasons ago Jackett could have signed him for £400k but wouldn't take a chance on a lower league striker. That's a nice profit we could have made!!!

• May 28, 2014 at 22:04

@denslions: typical KJ, short term manager, never mind nice little number at The rabid dogs

• May 29, 2014 at 02:49

@denslion. : at the time he was after the other striker who at came to the den but didn't reach us the b****** finished up in bristol(got relagated) we never put a bid in for la fondre(cheat) who had a better goal record

• May 28, 2014 at 19:39

Silly Palace have released a dozen players, not sure if any of them are worth a look?

• May 29, 2014 at 02:19

@Peckhamlad :. 7 of da palace scum are youth the other 5 includes that crap striker ..defender dean moxy 2 other over the hill losers..& a gk neil alexander...& sum blackpool mugs being released...i dont want w****** from his old clubs to grace our fields

• May 28, 2014 at 21:48

Ipswich have transfer listed Scott loach.I think he would do well for us still only 26.

• May 28, 2014 at 22:16

@bradox: I saw that as well. Earlier in his career he was linked to Spurs as backup to Gomez but nothing came of it. Perhaps he hasn't improved during the last few years which is why Ipswich are releasing him.

• May 29, 2014 at 08:49

@denslions: well Ipswich didn't rate Edwards either and he turned out alright for us.

Perhaps the same could be true with this keeper.

• May 29, 2014 at 06:50

Our chances of keeping hold of forde is looking bleak. Wouldn't be that bothered but worried about the quality of replacement should the matter arise

• May 29, 2014 at 07:08

Matt Gilks is looking our best option ,,,I m o ,,, Come on Ollie pull out the stops ,,,C O Y L