Holloway to call in favours as Millwall look to foreign market

©
©

IAN Holloway will utilise his contacts book to help Millwall scout overseas.

The Lions boss, who revealed last week that he plans to scour Europe for new signings, says the process of expanding the club's recruitment network will begin immediately.

Asked how he intends to cover games on the continent, Holloway said that he would call on trusted friends within the game to help him explore the foreign market in the future.

Head of recruitment Mick Harford will remain focused on the UK leagues.

Holloway said: "These are people I've known over the years who can help us.

"We won't be able to get every country sorted out but I will be able to do some things in the short-term that will enhance Mick's position.

"He'll be in control of piecing it all together for me but there are ways of doing it – you can't suddenly fly off to cover the German market if you live in England.

"It does not work that way. You find someone over there, you get to trust them and know them and they do the short mileage covering the games.

"Bit by bit they compile a list for you and then you go over and you have a look.

"When I first got a job I did not have a clue about this but now I know exactly what I want. When you get promoted to the Premier League, you need a structure.

"Any club is only as good as its recruitment and the players you sign.

"I have got to look at the foreign market because the club as its set up cannot do that. I can do that and I'm going to try to set something up.

"We have got to get our groundwork in and be looking a year down the line from now – and that's what we're going to do."

Holloway added that his approach to scouting fits in to his long-term vision for Millwall.

"Managers get sacked after six months at a club these days and that's nowhere near enough time to make a mark," he said.

"Somebody like David Moyes, for instance, who in my opinion is a fantastic manager, he left Everton in a much better situation than he found them in.

"He built up a whole scouting network for that club. To run a club properly, you have to build it from the ground up.

"The directors here are intelligent men and they know what they're doing – they have got businesses worldwide, so they understand the importance of structure.

"They don't understand football, but they want to and I'm getting there with them and it's exciting."

55 thoughts on “Holloway to call in favours as Millwall look to foreign market

• May 19, 2014 at 09:15

well done IH you have started to move the club forward

• May 19, 2014 at 09:30

It's baffling, forget the Lomas interlude, was none of this in place during Jackett's tenure?

There's an untold story at the Den, we had a reputation for decades of finding, developing (and yes selling at bargain prices) young talent.

What happened?

• May 19, 2014 at 09:54

@wongo: Jackett was not a fan of the youth at all and I know some youth at the club who couldn't stand him! The guy let go of a few European under 21's for very little or just released them and never wanted to give them a go.

I'm very happy with Jackett and where he got us, but I said all along he lost some of that Millwall character of having homegrown players or younger players in the team who want to fight for every ball and perk the crowd up with a little bit of pace or skill.

• May 19, 2014 at 09:34

Well don Ollie. May I suggest you start in Spain 🙂 IMO

• May 19, 2014 at 09:44

I know exactly what I want. When you get promoted to the Premier League, you need a structure. I love this part Olli we trust ant no doubt you will get us there you got more control of us than other managers have at other clubs just don't walk out on us please

• May 19, 2014 at 09:48

I'm going to the Isle of Wight in July and Lazarote in September so i will have a look for yer while i'm over there..... eyes everywhere, ear to the ground etc, etc. Ollie reminds me of a bristonian mafioso! All jokes aside, I like what i'm hearing. Given time this fells will do things correctly, taking nothing away from KJ but he looked too short term all the time with his signings. Ollie is planning to take us step by step, which is whats needed. "Rome wasn't built in a day" and all that. JB is a patient man, lets hope the lions faithful will follow suit.

We have all learnt, but we still go into every new season with the expectations of a top 8 finish. I fancy a nice worry free, mid table type season this season so I can recover from the last 2.....Dare i say "In Ollie We Trust"

• May 19, 2014 at 10:00

Some of the best Millwall news I have heard in years. IMO this has been our problem for a long time now. We used to produce youngsters and sell them on but since the premier league came along, any young players with potential are snapped up for compensation or small(ish) fees by the big clubs or young players unwanted at premier clubs are priced up at 500k+ which is often a huge amount for us to gamble on. We have needed to use the european market for years. So many other clubs have done it and found some top players, our only signngs from outside the uk since Wise (as far as i remember) have been Maierhofer, Jackson, Bouazza & Stewart, all players known due to their time in the uk. Add to that Holloway's previous success at finding young players and some decent foreign signings for Blackpool, the club could finally no longer be behind the times.

• May 19, 2014 at 12:33

@wonky thicklips: Good points made, but we have made more than a few signings from europe since Wise. I distinctly remember a period under Spackman where we bought Hubertz (some Danish team), Mawene (Caen) & Bakayoko from PSG of all teams! Also Berry Powell from Holland. We also signed Lenny Sowah and Bessone was signed after finishing abroad. Admitidly they were all rubbish, so whoever spotted these and got us to sign em hopefully isn't with us anymore!! Oh And Gifton Noel-Williams was playing in Spain when we signed him! Ha. What a crock of s****! My point is, hopefully our new system will bring some reliable players with quality for pushing us away from these relegation battles! COYL!! Cant wait for the fixtures to be released...Home to Fulham I hope!

• May 19, 2014 at 10:17

what great news, exciting times at THE WALL But I really hope we find a few gems, and get to see them produce some exciting football, and the press be full of praise,for a change, instead of keep slagging us off. But i fear, the POUND NOTES, start talking, a few directors start to see pound signs, and of course the player, which we are all guilty of. If this happens, and I bet it will, just tell us the truth as supporters, that's all we ask.Ollie is certainly very convincing, and says what we want to hear, but just tell us the truth, IMO I feel as if I've been let down in the past. But it will not stop me supporting the lions, after 55 years I'm not going change COYL

• May 19, 2014 at 10:24

Please don't start slagging jacket off, his situation was totally different. When he took over we were in the s*** big time, we had a long succession of terribly failed managers lasting in some cases only months. Jacket did not have time to structure this that and the other, he had to go for a more instant fix or he would have joined the failure list , and millwall would have joined the conference .He found players, got us winning, brought us up, job done, now it's someone else's job to carry that on. Every manager has their own way of working, that was jacket 's and it worked, Ollie 's got his ideas which I like, let's hope that works too.

• May 19, 2014 at 10:42

@bordersarebest0170: well said mate, KJ was our best manager since John Dochety who took us the now prem league!

• May 19, 2014 at 11:04

@bordersarebest0170: @bordersarebest0170: Its all about opinion with Jackett. Did he or didn't he do a good job? Like myself, most people would say that he done a brilliant job. But it doesn't mean he didn't have failings as a manager of a football team. He had to look short term initially to get results, but he used the same recruitment policy for 4 further years when he could of planned for the future which he failed massively. That's was his ultimate downfall, and that's why when he left he said he felt he couldn't take us any further. But i'm sure many others share a different opinion.

• May 19, 2014 at 12:00

@Windy: good post windy you have got it spot on.

• May 19, 2014 at 13:30

@Windy:

Well said windy I don't think anyone's slagged jackett off but as someone said he didn't change his policy from a short term to a long term one he did a very good job for us and left when did at right time end of, jackett is our past and if he does as well as he talks holloway could well be out future

I don't think anythings better than seeing a home grown kid with a hunger for the shirt that's what we need wih some experience and some foreign influence to provide some flair

• May 19, 2014 at 11:06

@bordersarebest0170: I agree to a point, Jackett was an unbelievable manager for what he did at the club and turned us around whilst making us a good Championship club.... but the heart of Millwall will and always has been youth!

He had 6 years with us, in that time you are telling me he couldn't have put a little more focus on the academy whilst still doing what he was doing with the 1st team??? They should go hand in hand, but he refused to go with youth which is where the money is made.... we made record losses during Jacketts reign but I will always thank him for what he did!

• May 19, 2014 at 10:58

We had a very good 6 six years with Kenny now starts a new era under Ollie both are different managers and do things totally different,Next season we will see what Ollie can do and cant do.
    I would be glad for a mid table finish and then push for glory the following season,I hope with this new system they are bringing in will produce some young hungry talent,Players who want to be part of Millwall and fight for their place.

• May 19, 2014 at 10:58

We have heard all these Promises Before! We want to see some Quality New Players arrive Now. Then we will Write Well Done Ollie ! So come on REAL FANS , that's the time to Cheer ! Let's wait till after the World Cup and see if we have a new set of good players who can win our Matches.

• May 19, 2014 at 12:14

@BUSHWACKER14: bushwacker i dont think these are empty promises as far as IH is concerned,he came to millwall and changed things immediatly,the portugal trip which many fans said was a waste of money,he also said he wanted to play a certain type of football,which he did even when fans were saying we needed to play long ball to get us out of trouble,he stuck with his way of playing,he took advantage of issue's in the dressing room ie dunne's rant,i think we can trust in IH,the problem might be how much cash we have to spend on his idea's,the bright side is JB seems to think a lot of IH so perhaps the money might be there.
      I do hope we give youngster's a chance with senior pro's guiding them on and off the pitch.

• May 19, 2014 at 11:01

Yes, sensible to have scouts on the ground abroad, but why not start by having them on the ground in the UK...starting in south London? You create your team, pay them expenses, and can always reward them with a share of any sell on profits in later times.

• May 19, 2014 at 11:18

A little caution is required when getting players from abroad,
    Does anybody remember the two Russians !,
    On the plus side we had a very good Dutch player whose name I can't remember( a blue Peter badge for the first to remember).

• May 19, 2014 at 11:36

@NICKOLA: Loved that guy, He ran like Michael Johnson....

• May 19, 2014 at 11:51

@NICKOLA: I loved ET i remember the overhead kick he scored against palace lol

• May 19, 2014 at 20:18

@JONO: that over heag kick, please remind me, was it the hat trick goal on boxing day

• May 19, 2014 at 12:38

@wandererwall: Yes Etienne was good, but someone I thought was better was Christophe Kinet.

• May 19, 2014 at 12:58

@wandererwall: The 2 Russians were Vasili Kulkov (midfielder, 6 appearances, no goals) and Sergei Yuran (striker, 13 appearances, 1 goal). Both were loan signings from Spartak Moscow (Russia) on 11th Jan 1996.

• May 19, 2014 at 20:37

@wandererwall: agree . .sorry to buck the trend lads but I'm very sceptical regarding some of these foreign players, they are not good by default just because they come from Spain or Germany etc . . There are a lot of chancers who will just be happy to come here thinking they are going to be on big money . . Caution is urged Ollie

• May 19, 2014 at 11:27

People have short memories not long ago we was staring league 2 in face. Then jackett arrived & not only saved from relegation but got us to the championship don't see how some fans can turn on him & blame him for everything it's pathetic. Pick on someone else it's getting boring now.

• May 19, 2014 at 11:44

@block 28: And some people look at things through rose colour glasses......There is no doubt that KJ will go down in recent history as a top Millwall manager. But he joined us when we had a L1 squad and he left us with a L1 squad. Everything in the middle was brilliant.

• May 19, 2014 at 12:03

@Windy:

except KJ had a league 2 squad - we were bottom 6 - I remember losing 1 nil home to Orient and I think we went bottom 4 , quite near the end of the season I think - KJ got us up in 2 years and we were within two wins of the playoffs when we lost to an excellent Swansea team last home game - yes it went down from there but the funds were not there that Lomas had (sold morison) - same old story spend when you are down - the wise people spend when they are on the up

• May 19, 2014 at 12:28

@block 28: block i along with others don't blame him for everything,but he has had his failings and good points,look at swansea he did a good job with them in the years he was there but he was unable to get them where they are now,it was two other managers that took them to where they are now,yes he did good things for us,but his last two years,but for woods we would have been in div 1.
      I will admit i was not a fan of KJ but i never ever knocked,or slagged him off while he was at millwall,but when i like other's point out his failing's people such as yourself seem to think he did nothing wrong.
      football managers deserve praise when they do things right,and should accept critical views when they have failing's.
      and at the end of the day he walked out on us leaving us very weak as a club.

• May 19, 2014 at 13:44

@jim1222: I think he did get little things wrong such as buying qouid & playing Simpson on the wing but he got the big things right. All iam saying is you can't keep blaming him for lack of funds for transfers & ruining the youth system

• May 19, 2014 at 11:28

There's no truth in the rumour that Jackett thought Hertz Van Rental was a German international footballer.

• May 19, 2014 at 11:57

I used to scout Ollie and willing to travel Europe for you..all expenses paid of course!

• May 19, 2014 at 12:55

Ask JB to set up a millwall European youth academy including a resort, in house coaches , fitness dietitians the whole works n jerks. If we gunna be in the premier league in 2015 we may as well get a start. Kids go into the academy and start their millwall careers under expert supervision , family accomodation within the resort so the parents aren't so nervous etc. hope ya all goin well.

• May 19, 2014 at 13:34

@grassgrower:

You can just imagine the sun headlines now " jimmy saville detectives raid the den " !!!!

• May 19, 2014 at 14:07

@Millwall1979: Its a wonder millwall have not been blamed for the QPR v Wigan bust up when a number of stewards were attacked and injured ,if it had happened at the den it would have been world wide headlines.

• May 19, 2014 at 14:24

@jim1222: Yes hardly given space in the media, one law for them and another for Millwall.

• May 20, 2014 at 19:37

@Peckhamlad:

Seen a couple of lines gives blokes there after and it said the stewards having been thrown down stairs had minor injuries

However at the den they would have been in a coma and looking for 5 people for attempted murder

W****** !!

• May 19, 2014 at 13:07

@ ALL WHO SPOKE ABOUT E T: yeah a real class player,moved like a gazelle . I met him once and had a chat with him, he spoke perfect BBC English, had lovely manners, well educated, and loved millwall, but a long term injury took its toll on his playing career, shame , class man

• May 19, 2014 at 15:00

@Millwall1979: One Kasey Keller oneeeee Kasey Kelllerrrrrrr

I was at The New Den Opening against Sporting Lisbon....
        Lois Figo scored penalty and we all sang "One Kasey Keller" I cried my eyes out was only about 12

• May 19, 2014 at 14:00

My interpretation of this is that we never seem to point the finger at previous chairman/owner or boards. We can look back at the time we had Theo Paphitis. His main view was to make Millwall a viable business, like what he has achieved with Robert Dyas and Rymans. He treated Millwall like it was a retail outlet. I rememberthat Wise tried to use the same European Scouting model to develop the youth Ranks and funding was never given, hence with Wisey walked. Theo did save us, but he was younger and had no hindsight of what running a football club is like. JB on the other side comes from a US with a background of sports franchises, they appreciate the idea of developing youth and utilising these players either as career players or financial oppurtunities. Under KJ reign, shouldn't it have been JB's responsibilty to emplot a director of youth development, to set up and seek out youth players local, nationally and internationally. these players would be trained and developed in a youth academy with reports passed onto KJ for him to choose players for the reserves/1st team. It was restarted with Lomas (whom recommended Harford to do a similar role before we was booted out) which is now starting to pay dividends. I just hope that communication between departments will re-emerge ie...community team tipping the scouting team on prospective youngsters.

• May 19, 2014 at 15:36

This is a completely true on my mothers life disturbing story, about 4 years ago i was talking to a portugese manager of a restaurant in chislehurst, i knew his son was a young pro at pompey, he said that he is trying to get him up nearer london as he hadnt settled, i said i could get millwall to look at him, i actually forgot and he rang me a fortnight later i apologised and said id get on it, i contacted a guy i know who is a scout at the den, that was the last i heard , i went back to the restaurant a few months later and the guy said his son never had any contact from millwall and he'd gone back to portugal to play for rio ave, athletico madrid bought him for 8 million euro, hes currently on loan at benfica but sadly has an injury thats kept him out of the portugal world cup squad, im writing this in the hope that millwalls scouting system is in better shape than it was then, by the way the kids name is silvio

• May 19, 2014 at 16:09

This is gonna annoy a lot of supporters, but I personally dont want a team full of european mercenaries, especially come saturday and I cant pronounce half of tbe team. Suffice to say, to play for a team like Wall, you have to buy into its ethos. We are a southlondon team not Real Madrid. Footballers must at least understand the club, its supporters and what we stand for. I hope the influx of foreigners is minimal, though should Messi or Neymar fancy a transfer to the den, I'd be up for that.

• May 19, 2014 at 16:52

@wallchef: we've had enough British mercenaries play for us also.

I will settle for some good hard working players regardless of where they're from.

• May 19, 2014 at 17:03

@wallchef: your post doesn't annoy me. This is exactly what I have been saying about English football in general and really don't want it to happen at the den. Send the scouts to Scotland, Wales and Ireland to find some top quality players who have a chance of understanding the wall. There is likely to be a new Alex Rae or Richard Sadlier out there somewhere.

• May 19, 2014 at 16:45

after reading how were going to scout the UK & Europe for new players , which are needed , also reading some veiws of previous managers / Chairman etc, i would like to ask the Millwall board to show character in the forthcoming years & start refusing to sell our talented players , its not happened over the last couple of years because we have been at a place where the players havent flourished ( trying to put it mildly ) however for the likes say of Chris Woods someone we should have held onto & sure there are a fair few more we can all name - point making if Ollie & Co finds us some Gems , then lets hold onto them & not flog them off for a profit , the goal is for us to get to the premier

• May 19, 2014 at 18:40

I'd prefer we looked on our own shores for talent. I don't want the Millwall first team becoming littered with diving foreigners.

• May 19, 2014 at 22:56

I went to Soain last year on a golfing weekend and had the absolute pleasure in meeting Brian King and playing a round of golf with him.

During a very boozy afternoon and then evening I asked him what he was doing now and he said scouting for EVerton the Scandinavian sector ( he now lives in Norway)

He then mentioned half a dozen good players he had scouted which included Fellaini who he watched, when he played against one of the Scandinavian teams and eventually got Everton to sign.

So what IH is doing is absolutely superb as although went can't afford full time scouts hopefully his network of old pros might turn up something / someone who we can then flog to Man united and ruin there season.

He also said Rhino was the hardest player he had seen which Wally Downes (also out drinking with us) endorsed.

• May 21, 2014 at 15:10

@JasperSexton: I think I was on that trip jasper, was it the bumfukkers weekly golf society ?

• May 20, 2014 at 14:12

Like I said before Ian, I can cover Bayern, 1860, Nuernburg, Furth, Stuttgart, Augsburg, Ingolstadt and Unterhaching for you - for a couple of beers and a bratwurst.

• May 20, 2014 at 19:22

I think I love you Ollie 😉

• May 20, 2014 at 19:23

I think I love you Ollie!