Ollie eyes replacements as talks continue with Millwall trio

©
©

IAN Holloway won't wait forever for his out-of-contract stars to sign new deals.

Millwall are currently in talks with David Forde, Lee Martin and Carlos Edwards but Holloway has warned the trio that he is actively looking to replace them.

Holloway will treat existing members of his squad like any other transfer target and could switch his attentions elsewhere if negotiations stall.

He said: "Until they sign for me, I have to try to replace them.

"That is all you ever do as a football manager – you have to always look for replacements and the more replacements you find, the easier it is to get a squad together.

"As a club, you have to set yourself up to replace the workforce that you've currently got.

"I'm not talking about people who haven't actually signed for me yet.

"What I'm looking forward to is getting back from holiday and finding people who want to play for me.

"If it's those ones, great, but in the meantime I'll look at who else is out there."

The Lions last week released Shane Lowry, Liam Feeney and Jack Smith, while Liam Trotter's loan move to Bolton has been made permanent.

But Holloway has confirmed that another member of his squad, Simeon Jackson, will not be returning to The Den next season either.

"He will get a fresh start somewhere else," the Millwall boss said.

"I don't think we were ever going to get Simeon long-term anyway. I tried to utilise him and I'm glad he came."

Meanwhile, Holloway says the futures of loanees Steve Morison and Owen Garvan are out of his control.

"Owen has got a year to go on his contract at Crystal Palace – and on a lot more money than we can pay him," Holloway said.

"He's got a contract with them so it won't be my decision – that will be down to Tony Pulis.

"Morison is another one who is out of our league unless Leeds decide to do a deal with him. I can't control these scenarios.

"Wherever these loan players stood with their clubs, we managed to manipulate a situation where we could pay a very small percentage of what they were earning.

"Owen put the cross in for the winning goal that got us the last three points and Steve scored eight goals for us, so I think him for what they did.

"But their circumstances now belong to them – their own families and their own agents – and I don't know where that's going to go."

43 thoughts on “Ollie eyes replacements as talks continue with Millwall trio

• May 15, 2014 at 09:50

How long does it f****** take to sign your names ffs

• May 15, 2014 at 09:57

@Jim28: true mate, but I prey he doesn't sign Morrison. No pace, gets out jumped by midgets, and no passion. The hoff had more impact. And he wasn't fit

• May 15, 2014 at 10:17

@Geoff the lion: Without Morrisons goals we would have been relegated. The hoff was s*** and got out jumped and couldnt score from 2 yards.

• May 16, 2014 at 15:16

@Eightieswall: we must have watched different teams, hoff was ok in the air, granted he didnt really score. as for morrison 8 goals, yes you were right we wouldve been relegated, but if we had a decent striker, he wouldve scored more!

• May 15, 2014 at 10:01

@Jim28: It usually means they are waiting for a better offer elsewhere.

• May 15, 2014 at 10:15

@Longfield Lion: yeh, and I'm waiting for a cute young blonde with big tits and a nice a***, just sign boys ! F***, let's get this show on the road!!

• May 15, 2014 at 10:13

I don't think we'll get either Garvan or Morison. Not sure I'd want Morison anyway - eight goals is poor for a striker of his ability.
    Forde can go as far as I'm concerned. The only reason I can imagine he got player of the season was his performances in the last two months. Before taht he was average and early on in the season he was dreadful. He is at best a slightly better than average keeper but he has periods where he can'dt catch crosses and lets every long range shot in. Whether you keeper is average or spectacular the one thing you want is consistency - Forde doesn't provide it. Also, if he loved being at millwal so much he would have signed already for what I am sure will have been a generous offer by the club.
    Lee Martin I think will sign and although he gets a lot of injuries he gives us some quality going forward.
    Edwardes I really hope will sign as he solves for a season or two a long-standing problem we have had at right back.

• May 15, 2014 at 10:16

Got to be honest, we need some New Blood in the team for the new season, don't want to travel all over the place to watch them play Rubbisg again.

• May 15, 2014 at 10:17

I know you always hear people say that i have heard this that and that other. But I genuinely heard from a close source to Martin that he wants to stay but the club have offered 1 year extension and the same money. Martin wants 2 years and probably more money(As they all do). This was about a week ago, so not sure whats happened in the meantime.

• May 15, 2014 at 10:36

@junkmale: I done a bit of digging ..JB said on the 7th march there be no contract talks until the season is over..then you had olly stating he would have talks sometime this week with forde.martin.& carlos...then he blames the players....Garvan & morro(still got 2years on his leeds deal).gone back to there parent clubs

• May 15, 2014 at 10:40

Would you accept a wage and sign when you knew you could get more....?
    Footballers are bloody human, yes, they earn good money - but their careers are shortlived (not that i can justify being paid what some get paid - but I wouldn't turn it down!)

• May 15, 2014 at 11:30

@sketchybean: ya right sketch but sometimes ya just wanna get the lads together, have a period of time when everyone gets to feel good and a generation of players set their names in stone forever at ya club, I know it's wishful thinking and it's a game of chess at the moment but what other place on earth can ya get called a c*** by ya supporters and loved all at the same time.

• May 15, 2014 at 13:53

@grassgrower: Yea that would be nice. Hopefully we will get that when we bring these youth hopefulls through who have recently signed. Get another midfield like Steven Reid, Paul Ifill, Tim Cahill and Lucas Neill!

• May 15, 2014 at 10:51

I hope IH signs Edwards he has been a great asset and a real professional. I not bothered about Morison he only started to play at the back end of the season, would have liked Louis Grabban back I see Cardiff are making a big bid for him.

• May 15, 2014 at 11:10

@Peckhamlad: no way would i want that cnt grabban back anywhere near our club! he aint got the a******* for millwall

• May 15, 2014 at 15:13

@Millwall_Rich: If he banged in the goals as he did for Bournemouth he would be a hero, you cant allow personalities get in the way, the fact is he is proven goalscorer and streets ahead of Jackson and Morison.

• May 15, 2014 at 19:18

@Peckhamlad: He hates us! We can't afford him anyway. I think he is the sort of player who will never have the bottle to be the main man at a bigger club, he likes it at Bournemouth as there is little pressure and no expectations imo. He wasn't injured for the last game against us, he was giving it the Barry Bigballs on twitter about how he wanted to relegate us etc etc, when it dawned on him that it was a full house etc and the atmosphere was going to be red hot his fuzzy little bum bum went big time.

• May 15, 2014 at 20:13

@Peckhamlad: 33 goals in 83 games is hardly impressive when you consider a good chunk of those were scored in League One. 3m at the age of 26??? Are you having me on? It just goes to show AGAIN that we are dreadful at commanding transfer fees when selling our players. Tut

• May 16, 2014 at 06:58

@JonnyBanks: there's a better striker at bristol city ..Sam Baldock 25years old..the past 6 seasons he has netted 77 goals ..last season he scored 19 and bristol had a poor year..

• May 15, 2014 at 11:04

It's all down to money again don't ya think you lot? Greedy c@@ts all footballers are, I was a bricklayer years ago thats what I called going to f****** work, and we got payed what we got payed, footballers p*** me off.

• May 15, 2014 at 11:23

Morison is probably hoping Leeds will buy him out of his contract as with Chaplow. Otherwise he'll have to make a decision. He's still good enough IMO and was played out of position and didn't start or finish some games. He's still got 20 goals in him if played regularily. Garvan in the same position contract wise.
    With the interest in young aggressive midfielders, I'd say Ollie isn't too bothered about Garvan, Wright or Abdou. Forde can be replaced. If Bywater isn't good enough to step up, what is he doing there?

• May 15, 2014 at 12:30

@NICKOLA: I wouldn't mind Morison as a squad player if he came as a freebie – certainly not worth paying much for him. Ollie played him out of position last season and he'll probably do it again so, I can't really see why Morison would want to join us anyway unless it’s for another season long loan perhaps?

• May 15, 2014 at 11:31

Bywater is there because Lomas wanted some of his West Ham pals around him. That said, I don't think he's any better or worse than Forde

• May 15, 2014 at 14:36

@junkmale: Completely wrong bywater apart from being that other slags mate ..he is f****** useless even we put 4 past him when he was in is prime...one of the worse keepers we ever had.

• May 15, 2014 at 11:51

Gutted not to see jackson with us next season, olly sort it out his a goalscorer

• May 15, 2014 at 12:05

@harry cook: He is on £17k a week, so we aren't going to pay that, and I think we can probably get a striker who scores 2 goals in 14 appearances on a quarter of that wage.

• May 15, 2014 at 12:30

@junkmale:
        not to mention they was both penalties! pavey probably woudve scored more in that time

• May 15, 2014 at 14:21

Not surprised Jackson is moving on, but who is queuing up to buy him? He largely failed to hold down a starting place in our team and didn't score many either. I think better might be available in our squad already.

• May 15, 2014 at 15:02

Sorry but if they don't want to stay, park them up.

• May 15, 2014 at 15:42

@Big Millwall: Carlos Edwards should be signed at all cost. I cant stand football mercenaries he doesn't seem to be one of them.2 goals, both from the spot, should not be rewarded with a lucrative contract. Easier said than done, of course I want success for our club, but we need to sign players who 1. have heard of us and 2. actually want to play for us and 3. wont cost us an arm and a leg

• May 15, 2014 at 19:57

@wallchef: Totally agree, quality championship player, works his nads off, has pace, he has forgotten more than most of our players know.

• May 15, 2014 at 16:26

None of this lot are irreplacable,line up some alternatives sooner rather than later and don't be held to ransom by average players!

• May 15, 2014 at 17:18

Graveyards are full of indispensable people !

OK by all means have a negotiations on salary and length of contract, then either sign or go.

But don't drag it out or play silly games, fans especially ours don't like it.

• May 15, 2014 at 19:08

Let's go for Wood again, he will not get near the first team for Leicester in the PL and their owners have said they are going to spend big. He obviously liked it at ours and although he seems to score in batches and then has lean spells I still rate him.

• May 15, 2014 at 19:15

When u ask for a rise at work it takes about 5 mins. Either argee or f*** off. Same applys to millwall players. Sorted

• May 15, 2014 at 19:41

Let's sign Marlon King!!! You ALL know it makes sense.

• May 15, 2014 at 21:03

Signing a contract isn't as easy as 'signing your name' players and clubs alike want what's best for themselves. Most players are thinking about where they are going on holiday (if they haven't already gone) as is Holloway, plenty of time to sort out these contracts and new players coming into the club.

The only thing that concerns me with these articles and other 'rumours' is the fact other clubs can see what we are trying to do, all it takes is for someone else who wants David Forde to see the reaction of us fans and the club and they'll just throw big money at him to lure him away. Keep quiet about these deals for now, get them done and signed behind closed doors then release any statements.

• May 15, 2014 at 21:34

@spj91: Sorry, don't agree with that. Agents dictate. Forde wants more money. Millwall then publicise they are interested in Gilkes. It's all a game. End of the day, either Millwall decide he's worth what he's asking for or get in a replacement. What the fans think, doesn't have a lot to do with it in this case.

• May 16, 2014 at 07:25

@NICOKLA: gone are the days when you could bully players into signing crap contracts...How many people who work would entertain the idea of a drop in pay..Answer- no one would..so why do we expect players to

• May 16, 2014 at 07:52

@Jim28: how ya goin Jim, Ollie's warming to the task and looks like he,l get the signings that suit his plans ya reckon? JB would back him in I think, lots of movin n shakin goin on at the moment and of course the players wil want to get every advantage they can but I Guess at least the squad that plays next season will be doin it for all the right reasons. Ollie talks like he,s had a plan mapped for many years and I wonder if they give him the space to run with it it could be a master stroke???? Do u think I'm a d******* ??