Holloway: Millwall need to build scouting network in Europe

©
©

IAN Holloway wants Millwall to start scouting in Europe for potential signings.

The Lions boss raised the idea of sending representatives to watch games in Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy and France during a three-day meeting with the board this week.

And Holloway says that expanding the club's recruitment network – both at first-team and academy level – is key to the future development of the club under his management.

Holloway also wants to hire more staff to aid Mick Harford, Millwall's head of recruitment.

"Mick is vital to us and he's a fantastic fella," said Holloay. "He's got vast experience and this is a perfect role for him now.

"He's been really pro-active for me and now I want to get him some extra runners and some extra eyes around the place.

"I want to expand our scouting not just in this country but in other countries. I also want to be out looking at other youth teams to make sure we're picking up kids that we can develop.

"I want people in our team who are young, hungry and want to work hard. I'm delighted to have done something in the short-term by keeping us up but this is a long-term project."

Holloway will finalise Millwall's retained list before pursuing transfer targets.

"There are a few issues that need to be resolved and I am just finding out what level we are going to be at financially and what that enables me to do," he said.

"I'll have a week off to chill out and then pick up the reins again in terms of adding to the squad and finalising it for next season."

Asked about his recruitment plan, Holloway said: "It'll be geared towards building a stronger unit in the Championship, getting further up the division and then into the play-offs.

"I know what it takes to reach the play-offs in this division and I know what that excitement feels like, so I'm very keen to reach that sort of level again.

"We don't need drastic change because we've just got a good thing going and that is really important.

"We've got some belief going too so the surgery to the squad might not be as major as it looked like being a few weeks ago, which is good news for everybody."

39 thoughts on “Holloway: Millwall need to build scouting network in Europe

• May 9, 2014 at 10:47

Not too many nobodies though please....

• May 9, 2014 at 10:48

Send someone down to Dulwich Hamlets regularly. The last 2 seasons have seen two good players poached by Championship clubs, the club is literally on our doorstep so why don't we even consider them as an option? It makes sense to tie up a deal with them as last year 300 South London youths turned up for a trial day. Lots of northern teams poach South East London players from under our noses, something we should be onto first. And its also very cheap to do too.

• May 9, 2014 at 10:53

@mashedash: I agree with you. There are so many local players that have slipped through the net. While while I'm not against casting our net far and wide, feel we should tighten up our scouting network locally.

• May 9, 2014 at 11:21

Is Folkestone in Europe? Cos I recall an 18 year old joining Hull a few months ago, and if he's good enough for them, he's good enough for us!!! They must of gone through south east london to get down there!!!!

• May 9, 2014 at 11:39

A couple of blokes from the old kent rd going on a european scouting mission..can i go please lol

• May 9, 2014 at 12:03

That last couple of paragraphs worries us, saying the team we have is good enough! Sorry, True - Followers of Millwall know better! ( those who just sat on the web - sites will say oh we have a good team ). Please dont fall for that Trap. We need good new players or this time next season we will be in DIV - 1 .

• May 9, 2014 at 12:57

@BUSHWACKER14: I think we'll see him ship a fair few out he's no mug. There is only so much he can do at a time . I think he knows he has something to build on now. Those that won't do it his way will be out.

• May 9, 2014 at 14:42

@BUSHWACKER14: There are three factors here that will hopefully be known in the near future before we know what IH has in mind:-
      1) Who is being released.
      2) Who is being offered new contracts.
      3) Who is being transfer listed.

He says surgery might not be as major as he thought it would be. As players like Edwards, Garvan and the Hoff were brought in recently contributing to our unbeaten run does this mean they are likely to be offered contracts? If this is the case then his comment makes more sense.A fit Bailey has also been a major factor in our recent form so he no longer needs to find a replacement for him. The one area which obviously needs a major overhaul is our strikers and I agree we will definitely be in League 1 in 2015/2016 unless we sign at least 2 players who can score goals.

• May 9, 2014 at 12:18

Setting up a European network = big cost. If it doesn't impact on developing our own youth then it's a great move. Olly looking to implement the next level of infrastructure within the club its a natural progression and future ambition toward becoming a prem club or at the very least establishing ourselves as a top championship club.

• May 9, 2014 at 12:30

We should be looking at non league & youth players in this country. Especially now that Greg dyke Wants to limit the amount of foreigners.

• May 9, 2014 at 12:44

There are many supporters who have excellent football knowledge who would be able to do the initial scouting on an expenses only basis, thus saving the club significant money, at the same time as uncovering new talent.

• May 9, 2014 at 12:46

Looking at winger Mark Marshall from Coventry according to Coventry Telegraph

• May 9, 2014 at 14:37

@WestKentLion: didn't he test positive for drugs & was banned for 2 years

• May 9, 2014 at 13:43

Sorry but this disappoints me. Most of you have hit the nail on the head in pointing out the local network of talent that is available which costs next to nothing. Local and lower league scouting is the bedrock of clubs like Millwall and benefits the whole of the league pyramid. Interest for me wanes when we sign unpronounceable mercenaries.

• May 9, 2014 at 13:52

Why not in east European countries?

• May 9, 2014 at 15:02

I wouldn't send English scouts to watch continential games, better to use continental scouts that have experience in the UK, they will see the technical talent as well as understand the mentality required to succeed in our leagues. UK football is too lmited in the type of player that is considered a good pro, we need to broaden our horizons to accept that players under 6' can actually play at the highest level if they are technically good enough.

• May 9, 2014 at 15:11

Maybe that means were going for level 1 now of that EPPP academy thing?

• May 9, 2014 at 15:19

I am available to assist. I enjoy football and travel through Europe--a little help with my expenses would be great...you can count on me!

• May 9, 2014 at 16:01

Millwall can today confirm that Liam Feeney, Andy Keogh, Jack Smith and Shane Lowry, whose contract are set to expire, will leave the club this summer.
    Read more at http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/four-to-leave-this-summer-

• May 9, 2014 at 16:11

@harrythelion: as we already knew 3 of those were on their way out lets hope there's more to follow.

• May 9, 2014 at 16:03

What about Monte Carlo and the South of France?

I am happy to go out to seek the talent on exes.

• May 9, 2014 at 16:19

Give me a tinkle Ian, I'll scout the German lower leagues for ya mate. Call it a crate of Augustiner and I'm happy.

• May 13, 2014 at 06:39

@Bayern_Lion: you live in Muenchen Bayern_Lion? I once had the pleasure of being hosted by the 1860 Munich fan club, really liked that club!

• May 9, 2014 at 17:15

Scout this country, cheaper and there are plenty of talented players out there if they bothered to look.

• May 9, 2014 at 18:06

Most of the comments are saying scout this country and rightly so. How can Dulwich players be snapped up by northerners when they are 10 mins down the road. It comes down to lazy scouts who probably don't know a striker from a keeper. One story I heard a few years back was a supporter kept telling Millwall to go and look at a young striker in the non-league, no one did and we missed out on Charlie Austin.

• May 9, 2014 at 18:42

@uncle albert: didn't we let ian wright go? millwall said he'll never make a striker whoops.

• May 9, 2014 at 20:59

@foxy: to my knowledge he says he's a Millwall supporter but never had a trial for us.

• May 10, 2014 at 08:57

@foxy: brought up on honor oak estate with david rocastle, went to samual pepes school in brockley - hatchemwood for the 30 somethings.
            ian wright was let go as a kid for not being good enough/attitude
            and he's millwall.

• May 11, 2014 at 10:29

@foxy.you were almost right .he did come to the den hoping for a tsial but mfc said to jog on..then they started singing ian w*** w*** w***

• May 9, 2014 at 18:23

I'm sure we are in there for the local talent but so is everybody else. Hull in the Premiership or Millwall heading (as we were) for League One? If you were an 18 year old prodigy being offered better terms for a Premiership club what would you do? Imo we should also be looking at the young players released by the Premiership academies. Maybe we are?

• May 9, 2014 at 19:50

Let's not start bringing over loads of foreigners , I want homegrown talent putting my beloved Millwall shirt on

• May 9, 2014 at 21:03

Uzbekistan??

• May 10, 2014 at 10:10

Lukesmithmfc thought I was right thanks for ya info mate.

• May 10, 2014 at 10:57

I wouldn't mind getting a few foreigners in to be honest, only 2 or 3 max though. Look at the impact vydra had for Watford last season, knockaert for Leicester this season, ulloa at Brighton just to name a few off the top of my head, It's all about having the right mix in the group.

• May 13, 2014 at 07:46

@82wall: once you open the door to europe you get flooded with some useless crap.the premiership isa prime examble..nowadays they do choose em a bit more carefull even so can you put your hand on heart & tell me that all english players are inferior

• May 14, 2014 at 05:52

@Jim28:
        Not all English players are inferior, no. I don't think it's any secret though, that other country's have a lot more technically gifted players than we do and players with a lot more flair. There is a flip side of course that a lot of them are over rated and they are prone to play acting, diving etc.