Forde set for talks after Lions secure Championship status

©
©

DAVID Forde is set to discuss an extension to his Millwall contract now that the club's Championship status has been secured.

Forde turned down the offer of a new deal in December last year but says he hopes to agree a financial package with chairman John Berylson in the coming weeks.

Manager Ian Holloway has admitted that if Forde's future at the club hinges on money, the Republic of Ireland international "will probably go elsewhere."

Forde said: "My contract finishes so I'll have a chat with the chairman and the manager and see where we're at.

"We've spoken briefly but the main thing since Ian came in was that we'd get safe and speak then. I didn't foresee it taking this long but the main aim was staying up."

With Berylson watching on, Forde made a string of fine stops in Saturday's 1-0 victory over Bournemouth as the Lions secured their Championship status for another season.

Forde then celebrated survival by lighting up a cigar with Millwall's American owner.

"It always helps when you keep a clean sheet, make a few saves and the chairman is there watching," Forde said. "It's an added bonus.

"When we got promoted at Wembley, John and I nearly burnt it down so we thought, why not do it at The Den?

"I've been here for six years and played nearly 300 games, so the club means a lot to me and it was very emotional for me coming off the pitch.

"Hopefully we can get something sorted but we'll wait and see. Of course I want to stay – under Ian Holloway, the future is bright and he can be very successful here.

"It has showed over the last eight games – and since he first came to the club – that he's an exceptional manager.

"Staying up is a fantastic feeling.

"When Ian first came in we weren't getting the results we deserved, but I was more worried last year when we were struggling to get over the line.

"We've shown we're a good side and this is certainly the best squad that's been assembled since I've been at the club. Under the right leadership, we can be successful."

Asked whether, since turning down the Lions' original contract offer, he had reconsidered his future at the club, the goalkeeper added:

"I certainly think so. I've got to look after me and my family and it wasn't to be at the time I suppose.

"I think Holloway can get the best out of the chairman so hopeful we can sit down and have a chat."

But Holloway is unsure whether Millwall will be able to keep hold of Forde.

The Lions boss said: "I don't know is the honest answer because I imagine lots of people will want him.

"The great thing is he cares a lot about the place, which might give me a chance. If it's down to money he'll probably go somewhere else – I'm only being honest.

"But I might have a chance because he loves it here – and he's cracking on a bit now! I wish I was 34 – I look about 106 at the moment!

20 thoughts on “Forde set for talks after Lions secure Championship status

• May 5, 2014 at 09:09

Well forde I hope you sign again people forget how hard it is to play behind a ever changing back four and some players who were not championship class. But if you do go else where you will all ways be applauded on the pitch and where else would get a cigar from the chairman .

• May 5, 2014 at 09:37

@carewlion: that has to be one of hollaways most stupid comment saying if the contract hinges on money the answer is no..All contracts hinge on money....how much did those s*** loanees cost ..plus a trip to portugal olly...just givd him a contract

• May 5, 2014 at 10:07

@Jim28: It would be great to keep him and I think a big part of him wants to stay. But I think what Ollie is talking about Jim, is he's probably got a lot of interest from elsewhere and if he gets an offer from a much bigger club (maybe even low-mid level prem club) we probably won't be able to match it.... But I seriously hope this won't be the case.
        In our favor is the fact another season with us will bring Forde up to 300 appearances for us - might be a milestone he wants to achieve...? Plus as Ollie said 'he's getting on a bit' so Forde may look at staying for his financial security if we give him a long term deal.
        Hope JB sees that he's worth the extra dosh and keeps him on.
        FORDEY! FORDEY! FORDEY!

• May 5, 2014 at 13:28

He trying to make forde look like a money grabber & a wage thief..the mental one cant really comment on this subject given his track record...the facts are that forde asked for a contract prior to the qpr game..and was told to wait..did this effect him .the saves in that match & the last clearly not...as for other clubs waiting in line to sign..doen't seem to be the case

• May 5, 2014 at 17:33

@Jim28:
            Your talking out your a***.

• May 5, 2014 at 17:39

@Jim28: totally agree , I can only assume that all this talk of Celtic and premier league teams after him was his agent trying to get us to jump in with a top deal , I'd give him only a year deal at his age and with his tendency to be hopeless at crosses and letting long range shots bobble past him .

• May 5, 2014 at 10:00

Give him the contract we don't want to waste time in the close season looking for a better keeper.

• May 5, 2014 at 10:10

West Brom?

• May 5, 2014 at 10:11

Stay fordey, don't worry bout the money, you,l get paid in cigars. Great shot that 1.

• May 5, 2014 at 11:41

I can understand Forde's position. It probably isn't just about money, but had we gone down there's no doubt that any players out of contract would have been offered reduced terms due to the lower income the club would have operated under in League 1. You can blame Platini and his cronies with their ridiculous financial fair play farce for that one.
    This seems to have been the source of our problems this season if talk of player unrest is to be believed. Players whose deals ran out this Summer wanted a new deal but due to us not knowing which division we'd be in next season made us reluctant to offer. If JB said: "Keep us up, then we can talk" as is widely rumoured then well done to him and it's been a gamble that has paid off.
    I'm glad IH is being honest about this but it's not rocket science. If Cardiff, Norwich or Fulham want a new keeper for their Championship season next year they'll easily be able to beat whatever we offer thanks to their parachute payment - and who would blame Forde for taking it in what would probably be his last pay day?
    But he'll also want a bit of security and, given his obvious affection for the club, I bet he'd seriously consider staying if we offered him a long term deal - and who knows, maybe a coaching/backroom role?
    We're never going to compete financially in this division - and it's only going to get tougher each season. What we can do is build a strong tight-knit unit and have some continuity because the Millwall spirit in full swing will be a match for a lot of the sides no matter how much they spend.

• May 5, 2014 at 14:13

I'm more concerned about Bywater staying at the club rather than Fordwy leaving it at the moment!

• May 5, 2014 at 20:11

millwall as had some great keepers in the past and im sure if he goes we will get anther one how about the doncaster keeper its a new start now for wall

• May 5, 2014 at 20:59

Who do you think is the worst keeper bywater.pidgley.cuff.or willy

• May 5, 2014 at 21:13

@Jim28: can't be willy Jim, I recall him coming in for denzil and keeping the spot from him with a fine run if matches where he kept plenty if clean sheets!

• May 5, 2014 at 22:41

@Jim28: Pat Cuff was terrible - I think he was actually registered blind. But I did see him save a penalty in a nil-nil at Preston in 1978.

• May 5, 2014 at 23:07

@WailingWall: got to agree but you got to admit he kept us entertained..he used to dive for everything..come for crosses and miss the lot..it was like watching mr mcgoo

• May 6, 2014 at 14:34

Fordey has been great for this club but I feel now is the time for him to move on. In Ollie We Trust.

• May 7, 2014 at 06:03

@WestKentLion: if fordey went we'll be stuck with that useless whore bywater

• May 7, 2014 at 13:23

Hes a good keeper but he needs to improve and he needs good compitition.