Ollie shrugs off nerves as Millwall's day of reckoning arrives

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway has claimed he "doesn't get nervous" and is feeling relaxed ahead of a nail-biting finale to Millwall's season.

The Lions' relegation battle will come to a head on Saturday when they host Bournemouth at The Den, knowing that a win will secure their second-tier status for another year.

A defeat would leave Holloway's side vulnerable to the drop, but third-bottom Birmingham and fourth-bottom Doncaster would have to better Millwall's results to send them down.

Despite the magnitude of the game, Holloway insists he is cool, calm and collected.

"To be honest, I don't really get nervous so I wouldn't say I am nervous after 800 games as a manager," he said.

"I just think it's another opportunity to try and produce another performance.

"I was very, very pleased with lots of the QPR game – obviously we didn't get three but in my mind I had us winning it, so it was unfortunate that we didn't.

"The performance was really good and could have been even better if we'd taken a couple of the chances we created, but to play that well was very pleasing.

"I just want us to do that again."

Saturday's clash is heading for  sell-out, with only 1,500 tickets remaining in the home end.

The Lions have not won at The Den in their last eight games but Holloway hopes his players will be able to reproduce recent away performances in their own back yard.

"It has been harder for us to play at home," Holloway said. "The surface at Loftus Road was awesome and hopefully we'll have a little bit of rain so the pitch at The Den isn't dry.

"I want the lads to relax. There will be a massive crowd and hopefully they will appreciate what the boys have been doing over the last seven games to give us this opportunity.

"It hasn't been a good season for any of us but we're doing our absolute best to give ourselves another chance in this division.

"We have got one more game to play and I hope it goes our way, but I cannot tell anybody how it's going to go.

"There's still more work to do but we've managed to take it to the last day and I hope we're all smiling at the end of Saturday, but we've got to earn that right."

16 thoughts on “Ollie shrugs off nerves as Millwall's day of reckoning arrives

• May 2, 2014 at 10:36

Great, Great,Great the Fans are coming Home - ' We Got Out Millwall Back ' let's all have a brill day! jim28, Nicola, Stormin' and everybody else sing out loud ! we are Millwall.

• May 2, 2014 at 11:06

All we did to do is play the way we play away. Iam not saying play on the counter just pass the ball about & the openings will come. & Ollie who u kidding I've been to more than 800 games. & still get nervous , nice try

• May 2, 2014 at 11:15

In the last few home games the fans did not get on the backs of the players to much,whilst it will be great to see a full house at the den,my worry is the exrtra fans who dont normally come will get on the players backs if things dont go right early on in the game.so her is hoping we can go a goal up early on.

• May 2, 2014 at 13:21

@jim1222: There's a lot of truth in that Jim. It's the unfamiliar faces that generally make the most noise and lack the cojones to stand by the team. Of course not all people that only attend a few games behave the same way, but the last big game I saw I heard the biggest load of b******* coming from a bloke I haven't seen at any other game this season, and he was making it well known that apparently he is proper 'Wall. Try holding your nerve if you're proper Wal, that's what I say.

• May 2, 2014 at 18:59

@glyngo: then the real fans should tell the not so real fans to shut up lol

• May 2, 2014 at 11:46

!!!COYL!!!

• May 2, 2014 at 12:18

I'm nervous too, my daughters goin out on her first date tonight, I hope she,s back before kick off

• May 2, 2014 at 12:31

@grassgrower: for your sake grassgrower so do i,make sure she has her taxi fare home in case he turns out to be a palarse supporter and she walks out on him.

• May 2, 2014 at 13:39

@jim1222: he,s wearin a t shirt that says "I fukn8 west ham"

• May 2, 2014 at 12:52

Back page of SLP I Don't want fans there who are going to be nervous

Me a*** is going big time best not go then lol

• May 2, 2014 at 13:22

Dunne will deal with Grabban, and Beavers will eat Kermit the Frog for breakfast....Wall to win 3:1.

• May 2, 2014 at 14:30

It's vital that the lads get the full support of the fans throughout the game regardless of how scores are going. Even if we go a goal down got to stick with them.

• May 2, 2014 at 17:41

This is the only time I want the ex Millwall player Trotter to bang one in for Bolton, and do muggy Birmingham, and Leicester to smash the 100 point record and demolish Donny. COYL

• May 2, 2014 at 18:10

@beedoscores: where you one of those that didn't want him scoring for us, great goal he scored last week.

• May 2, 2014 at 18:39

'hopefully we'll have a little bit of rain so the pitch at The Den isn't dry' - is there still a hosepipe ban over in Blighty? Turn the fkn sprinklers on!