Palace loanee unsure if Millwall deal will become permanent

©
©

OWEN Garvan admits he will have "a lot of thinking to do" in the summer when his loan spell at Millwall comes to an end.

The midfielder, 26, has another year left on his contract with parent club Crystal Palace but he barely featured under Eagles boss Tony Pulis before his switch to The Den.

Garvan has played a key role in helping the Lions climb out of the relegation zone ahead of Saturday's final-day decider against Bournemouth.

He told the Southwark News: "I've got another year left at Palace so I will go back there after the season's finished and have a chat with them.

"You never know what is going to happen in football – that is what I have found out over the years – and you can never say for  sure who is and isn't going to play again for a club.

"There's no point saying I will or won't be at Palace next year because I don't know.

"One thing I will say is that I want to be fighting at the other end of the league.

"I came here when the team was struggling at the bottom but if I do leave Palace I want to go somewhere where I can be successful and further my career.

"What happens in the future will depend on the result on Saturday, what Millwall's thoughts are for next year and how much they really want to go for it.

"All of these questions will be answered in the summer I'm sure. I will have a lot of thinking to do but I just want to win on Saturday and then worry about my future."

41 thoughts on “Palace loanee unsure if Millwall deal will become permanent

• May 1, 2014 at 16:31

He has hardly looked amazing, I dont see any of the big clubs fighting over his signing.

• May 1, 2014 at 16:45

@glenbur: My thoughts exactly!! He's been functional but I think there's others better that will become available in the summer in his position. I wish he was as good as he obviously thinks he is!!!

• May 1, 2014 at 17:39

@Adsy77777: Think the opinion on him is slightly harsh - not a coincidence that he has played in most of this little run we've been on. Doesn't set the world alight but does some of the donkey work.

• May 1, 2014 at 20:27

@DanLion: I think Bailey getting fit and certain players being dropped has more to do with our recent form.

• May 1, 2014 at 22:45

@Eightieswall: I absolutely agree about Bailey. When we first came into the team I thought we've got a proper general here, the sort of bloke you want alongside you to push you along, and someone who has a lot of ability too. Unfortunately he did have a bit of a drop of form, but I think that may well have been because of injuries that he was carrying. I was up at Forest for the beginning of our revival (Derby aside) and for me it was all about him providing that drive for the 60 minutes or so that he was on.
            What I'm really looking forward to is a midfield of Williams (amazing poise and the ability to take a good free kick, Upson (industry and no small measure of ability) and Bailey (ditto, with great drive thrown in). I think that is a powerful trio, and for me Garvan would be no more than cover at best, but from his comments, I think it looks like he wants to go somewhere that would recognise the immense talents that he possesses in his head.

• May 1, 2014 at 16:41

Olly, this is definitely not one fro a contract, he may be good enough for Division 1 but not championship quality

• May 1, 2014 at 16:57

He's done ok, been part of the team that's gone on its best unbeaten run, but I reckon there's better options out there in the summer!

• May 1, 2014 at 17:05

This has really wound me up! I've lost count of the amount of times me and the old man have been watching a game and both commented on how the hell is he getting in the first team ahead of others. He's slow, can't shoot, can't head a ball (can't remember which game it was but he missed a headed open goal from in the 6 yard box), and he bottles tackles. I'm not knocking Holloway's judgement and he clearly rates him, and I'm not pretending I know more about football than him, but I just can't see it personally. So for him to come out and basically say he's too good for us and is holding out for a better offer...well you can just f right off Garvan! Hopefully he'll be warming Palace's bench for a year and then be plying his trade in League 1.

• May 1, 2014 at 17:08

I'd be gutted if we signed him. He's more of a hindrance when playing. When he gets the ball, and we try to counter-attack, he always slows down play and loses the ball. Doesn't look fit to me either, perhaps a bit overweight. Not exactly committed to the cause either is he. Obviously not in Pulis' plans so either commit to Millwall or don't. Hopefully he doesn't.

• May 1, 2014 at 17:19

@harryfabian: Been a reasonable stop gap. That's it. The alternatives were Jack Smith, Wright or Abdou from the senior squad -all of whom will probably be helping Chesterfield or similar next season in League one. They're obviously not in ollie's plans.

• May 1, 2014 at 17:11

Must agree with the above POSTS , Garvan has Not been great, ( just filled a gap ) he did have one shot that hit the far - post, but we have all said this is Mainly the Team that has got us to where we are! ( near the Bottom. ).

• May 1, 2014 at 17:15

footballleagueworld.co.uk/brighton-and-millwall-set-to-move-for-premier-league-midfielder/

• May 1, 2014 at 17:22

@mfc31: Been strongly refuted by Ollie in the SLP. Not his type. Meeting on Monday with the board to determine targets and budget, depending on Saturday's result.

• May 1, 2014 at 17:31

Thought McDonald looked sharp recently in that position, surprised he didn't start at QPR

• May 1, 2014 at 17:34

I would drop him and send him back to the nigels,We need people playing with heart and for the badge. He said he wants to be playing at the other end of the league and wants to go somewhere to further his career,he was at that type of club but couldn't make the subs bench. F*** him off.

• May 1, 2014 at 17:37

sounds like you've answered ya own question to me mate! you don't wanna be in a team that has to fight, then i think millwall is probably not the place for you.

• May 1, 2014 at 17:42

Making his excuses already sounds like he has no intention of being here next year. Suits me useless. Upsons better than u anyway.

• May 1, 2014 at 20:30

@block 28: Agreed mate,Upson and Bailey look decent as a pair.

• May 1, 2014 at 18:01

He realy sounds up for the fight for our survival this sat ??????????? F*** back off to crippled alace & let the boys who want to put on our shirt in this div carry on the good form of late & finish the job ,,,, C O Y L ,,,, onwards & upwards

• May 1, 2014 at 18:02

His main attributes are strolling around and not doing much

• May 1, 2014 at 18:19

@Bones: Bit like Ambler then.

• May 1, 2014 at 20:36

@NICKOLA: We replaced a trotter with a stroller Nick. How do you feel about Saturday?

• May 1, 2014 at 20:58

@Eightieswall: Nervous. Very nervous. If we were away I'd bit a lot more optimistic. Having said that, if we don't get a result and Brum and Doncaster do, then as we played at home for the last game and those two didn't then we got what was coming to us. We need to stay up because it will be a hell of a job to get back up. Overall, I think we'll survive just because the others will drop points rather than us winning. Just like last year.
          I hope.

• May 1, 2014 at 21:40

@NICKOLA: Im feeling the nerves creep up on me now, I am also worried about our home form and the fact Martin is out and the Hoff who brings us another dimension albeit on limited ability is a selection doubt. Hopefully Woolford will play left side to keep the balance and Bailey and Upson pulling the strings.I personally thought we were doomed a while back so fair play to Holloway for sticking to his footballing beliefs,not panicking and having the b***** to drop the shirkers and wage thieves.I dont go with the theory that Bournemouth have nothing to play for, players pride comes into it and Finishing as high up the table as possible in front of 1500 traveling fans and then there's Grabban. On the plus side we will have the place rocking with noise and we must put the fear of god into our opponents from the first whistle.Boo,hiss,whistle and hammer every Bournemouth player that gets near the ball.Dunne will have the players fired up and with a bit of luck we will be okay. Let em come.

• May 1, 2014 at 21:07

@NICKOLA: why did u mention ambler u no he will be on this site before Saturday talking s***. & it's all your fault lol.

• May 1, 2014 at 22:23

@block 28: Ambler if the personification of s***. I've got my lottery ticket, draw on Saturday. He's the first one out.

• May 1, 2014 at 18:11

He has been carrying an injury , but even so I am not sure he really makes us that good. He is a more composed footballer than Jimmy and more effective than Wright. If he doesn't cost too much I'd take him but I wouldn't she'll out big bucks for him.

• May 1, 2014 at 18:34

Bye Bye, unless you score the winner on Saturday that keeps us up!!!!!

• May 1, 2014 at 19:22

Cracking article !!!!!!!
    Just what we want to hear two days before ourmost important game for yrs.
    Who in the right frame of mind thinks this will help us and the players before 12:15 sat afternoon ? You cant seriously tell me that not one single player or member of management will not read this. The ones that do will have the exact same opinion as the posts above.
    Potentially damaging to team morale is this post imho.
    Mr aldridge this post could have waited til sunday. I cant understand the reasons behind this article at all. Disapointed to say the least.
    What a shame, hey ho.
    COYLs get the job done but without the man who fronts this article.

• May 1, 2014 at 20:10

You are a legend in your own mind garvan.The top teams in this league weren't banging down the door for you before and i don't think your performances have changed anything! Still i wish you the very best of luck saturday and then you and your ego can sign for real madrid.

• May 1, 2014 at 20:33

Garvan I now know why your so slow..it might because of the size of your head..which is full of it...and the only people knocking down your door for your signature will be the fraud squad for intimitating a professional footballer ...p.s. F*** of back to palarse

• May 1, 2014 at 21:32

I cannot say anything about the man or his performances because I don't see them from where I am, but he is 26 and middle aged in footballing terms. Maybe he looks upwards in a self-centred way now because the next 5 or so years will shape the next chapter in his life after football(?) All he said was pretty honest at his stage of career in my opinion. Ego mistaken for honesty perhaps?

• May 1, 2014 at 22:50

@SE14: I can except honesty SE but as a responsible adult with an example to set sometimes honesty needs to be replaced with diplomacy and tact. He clearly showed neither and the timing is absolutely shocking.

• May 1, 2014 at 21:33

Should think himself lucky we've given him first team football. The Championship is his level at best, so he would miss us more than we would miss him. I would be surprised if Ollie signed him in the summer.

• May 1, 2014 at 21:34

Nahh no ratings from me, please don't sign him

• May 1, 2014 at 21:57

Aldo get some more positive articles leading up to Saturday

• May 1, 2014 at 22:17

Aldo can you tell us how many tickets have been sold?

• May 1, 2014 at 22:25

@Eightieswall: 13-8k home 1.1k away. Expect 15.4k at kick-off.

• May 1, 2014 at 23:26

Bye then!
    What has he brought to the table anyway because I've seen nothing in him that would want me to see him back here next season.

• May 2, 2014 at 00:54

@WoolwichLion: Where getting too many negative articles Aldo..1st martins out 2nd olly having pop at hof..3rd hof injury or not??. now we got garbage giving it...friday cheer us up ffs..

• May 2, 2014 at 02:02

Ya get the feeling we better to go forward with blokes who's hearts in it for all the right reasons, moneys always a priority but playing for ya mates, having a feel for the club, wanting to be successful in an environment that good and proper. All the stuff that sets a good culture for the future. I H would know already what he,s looking at and for, if it can all marry up combined with the passion and drive of the supporters then it's a rosy future we lookin at. Maybe there doesn't have to be wholesale changes to the squad, just subtle tinkering to get the right blokes in the right spots. Must get this week right to start then the rest will follow.