Malone relieved to be involved in Millwall's final-day decider

©
©

MILLWALL'S fate was out of Scott Malone's hands on the final day of last season – but this time around he will be able to "do something about it."

The Lions stayed in the Championship by the skin of their teeth 12 months ago when they were beaten 1-0 by Derby County but results elsewhere went their way.

Malone, however, was out-of-favour under former manager Kenny Jackett and was not even in the squad that travelled to face the Rams.

So the left back spent a nervy final day sweating about Millwall's fate at home on the sofa.

Fast forward a year and Malone is playing a key role in the Lions' fight for survival, and on Saturday scored what could prove to be a vital equaliser against QPR.

That result ensured Millwall will control their own destiny when Bournemouth travel to The Den this weekend.

Malone said: "It's deja-vu – it happened last year at Derby.

"I wasn't there – I was watching it on telly and I think I was more nervous than the people that were there. It was literally out of my hands and that was not nice.

"I was down in Bournemouth watching it on the telly along with James Henry and we sat there looking at each other sweating.

"It is going to be nice being able to something about it next Saturday."

Millwall claimed a point at Loftus Road when Malone's sliced half-volley crept under the bar – but the defender thought his shot had gone over.

"If I catch it right I think the goalkeeper saves it," Malone said.

"I think I have bamboozled him a little bit by what I have done with the shot. I think I have come underneath the ball but I didn't see it go in.

"I've put my head up in the air thinking 'I've done it again' and it has crept in – but they all count!"

Malone, who revealed he was a doubt for Saturday's London derby with a virus, feels he is improving under boss Ian Holloway's management.

He said: "Personally I think I've found an extra yard.

"I don't know where it has come from over the last couple of weeks but I think I really suit the way we are starting to play now as an outlet on the left.

"I just feel a little bit sharper. I was under the weather on Friday night and I didn't travel to the hotel. I was a bit ill.

"There was a bit of a bug going around but I think everyone has got over that now. To play like that and get a point and a goal was nice after that.

"I was always going to play but I didn't want to give it to some of the lads at the hotel so I just stayed at home and came in on Saturday morning."

Having gone behind to a contentious penalty, Millwall showed their fighting spirit to come back and Malone claimed they were unlucky not to take all three points.

He said: "All of the lads in the dressing room were looking at each other thinking we should have won that.

"We are making quite a habit of going behind and coming back. It shows a great attitude, and earlier on in the season we weren't doing that, which is why we are where we are.

"Thankfully we got a point against Watford after coming back from 2-1 and another valuable point here after going 1-0 down.

"That will really help in terms of staying up."

30 thoughts on “Malone relieved to be involved in Millwall's final-day decider

• April 28, 2014 at 10:02

yes Malone, you can do it, again, and be the HERO, plus the rest of the Boys in the TEAM.

• April 28, 2014 at 10:09

You've been quality this season Scott, but surely you should of been at Derby on the last game of the season supporting your team mates rather than watching on the telly?

• April 28, 2014 at 10:35

malone was absolute s**** last season, but this term has been in the top 2-3 of our best performers. well done scott more of the same against your old team on saturday please!!!!

• April 28, 2014 at 10:58

Saturday malone lets be honest was toilet ..he was his worse game of the season...but i'll take that goal all day long..so play crap next saturday and perhaps you mite get the winner

• April 28, 2014 at 11:21

Malone's improvement under Holloway shows just what a good player he is and it always amazed me that he was left out by Jackett. He has the ability to develop into a Premier League player, hopefully with us in the Premier League. Let's finish the escape act first, but if we can carry on playing like this next season we will be somewhere near the top of this division.

• April 28, 2014 at 13:11

@junkmale: you can slate jackets reasons if you like..but one thing is for sure jacket dont shell out £600,000 for a player unless he's a good investment...still has a lot to learn & i'am sure he will

• April 28, 2014 at 17:09

@Jim28:

Well he bought Josh McQuoid...

• April 28, 2014 at 20:00

Mcqoid was worth 6j50,000..it was a swamp deal ..so it works out he did buy him..

• April 28, 2014 at 11:43

Player of the year for me, one more massive effort and we stay big win is what the fans deserve do it for us, stay up in style. COYL

• April 28, 2014 at 12:29

Well done malone for the goal mate, with a bit of luck you will get two sat, I'll be there can't wait, can't see birmingham getting much out of there two games, and as for donny leicester got do them surely so I believe we are safe, but a nice win sat would be lovely.

• April 28, 2014 at 13:17

@foxy: to true Foxy,don't care how he hits them think we will do it on Saturday,Wigan have to go for it since losing,like you can't see the Brummie retards getting a point be down to cheer Ollie and the boys

• April 28, 2014 at 13:55

Off topic anyone on here a plumber ?

• April 28, 2014 at 14:21

@Millwall1979: I'm not a plumber but I know a good one he works for greenwich council might help you out mate.

• April 28, 2014 at 14:48

@foxy. Did u say WORKS for Greenwich council.

• April 28, 2014 at 14:57

@block 28: haha, part time, he does a bit private when he's finished at 10am.

• April 28, 2014 at 15:00

@block 28: ah typical council employee then haha be honest not looking for a job to be done need some advice

• April 28, 2014 at 15:13

@Millwall1979: post what you need to know someone will help I'm sure.

• April 28, 2014 at 20:54

@Millwall1979:
            Tell that to my missus, she works well over her hours sorting out facilities for elderly and disabled peephole needing stairlifts etc.

She often come home in tears about the pathetic situation the elderly are sometimes in.

Cheap shot, still all forgiven if we stay up.

• April 28, 2014 at 15:17

Need some plumbing experience mate am doing the qualification but it's on the job I need a part time experience placement if anyone has any contacts much appreciated

• April 28, 2014 at 15:32

@anyone : does anyone know what's happened to LOWREY. I've never rated him but I know Ollie loved him, but he seems to have disappeared, is he injured or what?

• April 28, 2014 at 16:08

@bordersarebest0170: lowrys dissapearance coincided with the dressing room bust up..he was due to play at forest but there was six changes he was one...& we aint seen him since...even when dunne was a doubt to play one game..

• April 28, 2014 at 19:27

We've had a bit of luck lately, which is well overdue, so one last effort on Saturday and we have something to look forward to next season. Following England in the World Cup Final...........oh sorry, the drugs have kicked in

• April 28, 2014 at 20:49

@ JIM28 : yeah,well done Jim, thanks that sounds about right, seems like he's fell out of favour. Funny ole game a, cos Ollie really liked him a while back.

• April 28, 2014 at 22:40

Wongo was a joke mate no offence intended

• April 29, 2014 at 08:11

CHARLTON PLAY WATFORD LATER TODAY, SO THAT SHOULD BE OF INTEREST TO
    ALL THE TEAMS NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE TABLE [ NOT TO MENTION THE PLAY - OFF
    AREA TEAMS ]..............
    BUT, OFCOURSE, ALL MILLWALL FC ARE WAITING FOR IS SATURDAY [ REMEMBER EVERYBODY
    THERES AN EARLIER KICK - OFF THIS SATURDAY !!!!!
    AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE ARE NO NEW MAJOR INJURIES WORRIES FOR US................
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN........................IS ON HIS MARK !!!!!

• April 29, 2014 at 08:20

@bermlion: don't forget Brum play as well. Both results impact the bottom of the table.

• April 29, 2014 at 09:51

@glyngo: YEP, YOU'RE RIGHT.................
        IN FACT BIRMINGHAM ARE IN A WORSE POSITION THEN MOST !!!!
        [ WELL SPOTTED !! ]
        " NO ONE LIKES US , WE DON'T CARE "
        STORMIN' NORMAN......

• April 29, 2014 at 17:19

@SE14 know of anyone that might be able to give me some experience mate ?