Garston keeps spot on Millwall board after winning fan vote

©
©

PETE Garston will continue in his role as Millwall's Fan on the Board after being re-elected for a fourth term.

Garston was challenged in an election for the first time since he was initially voted in eight years ago, but claimed 64 percent of the vote to defeat Paul Turner.

Turner received 362 votes to Garston's 648, with a further 202 votes deemed invalid.

Votes were discounted if they were duplicates or cast by supporters with lapsed/incorrect membership numbers.

In a thank-you message to fans, Garston said: "I am so honoured to be voted back in.

"During the whole election process I have seen areas I need to address and I will address them during my tenure.

"Thanks to Paul Turner for standing and making my re-election democratic."

Turner added: "I have sent congratulations privately to Pete and would just mirror that on here (Twitter) publicly."

30 thoughts on “Garston keeps spot on Millwall board after winning fan vote

• April 28, 2014 at 08:15

WELL DONE PETER GARSTON,
    KEEP THE GOOD WORK UP..................
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN............................

• April 28, 2014 at 09:02

@bermlion: if he actually done good work i'd be the first to shake his hand..the plain fact he's useless

• April 28, 2014 at 16:45

@Jim28: That's a bit strong. I'm sure he's done some good work for Millwall fans during his time in post, but I must admit I'd have liked to see Paul Turner win, as the position could definitely do with a fresh face representing fans.

The trouble with being the FOTB for so long is that the person becomes more of a Director than a normal fan. He does seem a bit too cosy now with the rest of the board and I think he got well and truly used by Berylson during the regeneration row, doing the club's donkey work when really he should be focusing on representing fans everyday issues. Maybe some of the recent criticism will give him a reminder of who he's representing - the club hierarchy or the fans.

• April 28, 2014 at 18:07

@Jim28: he has always been nothing but first class on everything I have asked. He is the man for the job.

• April 28, 2014 at 19:01

@Lincolnshire Lion: wish I could say the same Linc.

He has never answered my points that I raised with him.

Personally I votes for Paul turner.

I would personally like to nominate someone like nikola or the rather upbeat Bermlion.

At least they are honest in their opinions and are "one of us"

A poor result for your average Lion fan.

Shame.

• April 28, 2014 at 09:15

Can't remember the last time we heard anything meaningful on behalf of the real supporters from this bloke.
    There should be a limit on how many terms you can serve as FOTB.

• April 28, 2014 at 09:49

You guys probably do this already but would it be good to come up with a detailed list of concerns, compliments or general queries and provide to peter before each board meeting so he goes fully prepared and is able to work out the best way to present each matter??? I'm not really up to speed with how it all goes but at least this way everyone,s on the same page and he can present his case on behalf of concerned supporters. Could be all sorts of issues which I've noticed overtime popping up on these pages . As always , with respect. You guys have more experience with this sort of stuff. Let's win sat, that,l be massive for the club. Lions love a good feed.

• April 28, 2014 at 10:00

List of concerns. Tickets for london derbys. Ban lifted at Leeds better away travel. Over the stewarding. Pull your finger out of your a*** & do something this time coz u ain't done fvck all so far.

• April 28, 2014 at 18:09

@block 28: and you have written to him or emailed him with you constructive articulate criticism ?

• April 28, 2014 at 10:26

Cannot believe that only just over 1000 people voted in this.
    We must have well over 6,000 members and ST holder it's a poor show
    from the fans or does that just show how apathetic we are to this position?
    I know our supporters hate anything official but it wasn’t exactly hard to vote
    I managed to do it so couldn’t be that complicated.

Anyway congratulations to Pete and I hope the challenge and debate this time has
    helped you to do the job better in future.

• April 28, 2014 at 10:27

garston sort out the policy of not letting casual supporters in to block 28, being viewed as a problem block leaves this area of the ground somewhat bare of fans week in week out. pull your finger out.

• April 28, 2014 at 11:13

Well done Pete. Well done to Paul for genuinely making me deliberate before casting my vote, some of your ideas were good and I hope PG is able to address them with the board in his next term.

• April 28, 2014 at 12:09

Well done pete. Congratulations.

• April 28, 2014 at 12:10

For those moaning about Pete, I would like to point out he only has a place on the board. He does not have the power to make wholesale changes. I am sure there are lots of things he would love to change but simply doesnt have the power to do. Leeds tickets is a great example. This is down to the Yorkshire police force. Nothing the club at any level can do about this let alone a FOTB.
    Yes there is more he can do and I have no doubt he is aware of that. For those who sit behind a keyboard and criticize him, put your money where your keyboard fingaers are and challenge him at the next election.

• April 28, 2014 at 13:43

@>Steve. Got every right to criticise him. It's is job to keep us informed to whats going on with our club that's why we hav a fan on the board. When was the last time u heard anything from him apart from getting a petition. Wots the point of him being there. The reason Yorkshire OB stopped fans was coz Leeds didn't pay the police bill. That has since been sorted so there's no reason for the ban to continue

• April 28, 2014 at 18:08

@block 28: The Leeds situation is a Red Herring, our club has no control over it and neither do we. what we can expect from the FOB is information from the boardroom, tempered by the fact that some info he hears is confidential and therefore not right for public distribution. If I worked for the club, I wouldn't want staffing mattes shared indescriminantly, that would be an abuse of my right to privacy. I agree that Peter can continue to bring ideas to the boardroom, and that is something that can become more transparent.

• April 28, 2014 at 18:11

@block 28: try buying a program then you can find out what he's got to say and support the club. Or does he have to phone you personally ?

• April 28, 2014 at 19:11

@Lincolnshire Lion: lincs, I buy a programme and I do read the articles PG writes.

However, when your brother invites business associates into the directors box, which does NOT benefit Millwall FC or their supporters, then I have an issue. I have proof of this as well if ever required. And the people who I know to have been invited are NOT supporters and will never be. neither do they know anything about our club, except to brand me personally as a hooligan anytime there is an incident.

Why not ask his fellow Millwall supporters instead ( and to be fair, I don't know whether he does or not), so that perhaps they can experience the inner sanctum of the club.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a personal attack on PG, just my own humble opinion.

• April 28, 2014 at 19:30

@<Lincolnshire Lion ok then u tell me wot he had done for us. & why should I buy a program. He knows my email address. So why not send a weekly newsletter.

• April 28, 2014 at 22:27

@Lincolnshire Lion. Looked at the website. Nothing on there regarding my previous message so that was a waste of time. A bit like having a FOTB. & I don't need a program to support the club. My money goes to the ticket office for the last 45 years.

• April 28, 2014 at 20:08

@block 28: sorry mate but that's rubbish. Part of being on a board certain things have to be kept confidential. That is part and parcel of whatever board you sit on. As for Leeds it's nothing to do with a unpaid police bill. Most other clubs don't have the same problem. It's purely down to our reputation and the Yourkshire OB inability to deal with things. If you honestly believe our FOTB can override a police decision then you are not in the real world. Let's get behind him and concentrate on a massive game Saturday

• April 28, 2014 at 23:26

It were'nt just the millwall game west yorkshire police threathened to boycott it was all leeds utd's home matches..the money leeds owed was paid to the OB..but to avoid this happening in the future..the OB made all cat C. Matches would go to the services..cos the bill for C games is huge..ffs leeds didn't even pay there players for months .fotb out of his hands.

• April 28, 2014 at 16:45

To be honest I didn't vote but I did read both men's manifestos. Pete, from what I've seen, hasn't really done much and be that because he can't then what's the point of the FOTB? I hope some changes are made but I was on another forum sight and this Turner bloke had over 80% of the votes. Either they didn't vote or there's something fishy.

• April 28, 2014 at 17:21

@Alan.F: the supporters club,Garston and the Club should be ashamed of themselves. Letting Garston have his manifesto printed in the program,where was Turners right of reply. At the meeting the first thing Garston said was there are things I cannot discuss,if that's the case don't sit in on that part of the board discussions. What's the point of knowing things you can not tell the supporters. Just do the job description FOB and put forward fans issues and then tell them the outcome

• April 28, 2014 at 18:12

There is a regular FOTB report. Go to the MSC web site and read it.

• April 28, 2014 at 19:48

@Lincolnshire Lion: yes there is a report but he cannot report everything he hears even Mr Garston will tell everyone that

• April 28, 2014 at 22:44

The pathetic voter number means that the role has been devalued.

• April 28, 2014 at 23:49

@drifter: who came up with this FLOB ON THE BOARD.. We the supporters will do our job..follow mfc h6e & away..dont care for the board cos they do f*** all for us..never has never will...only person that gets my vote is JB

• April 30, 2014 at 18:49

Garston out

need a banner for Bournemouth game

• May 1, 2014 at 05:19

@Lonsdale London: jeez mate, the poor c**** only just been voted back in.