Ollie: Keeping Millwall up would be my best achievement

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway says keeping Millwall in the Championship would rank as the best achievement of his managerial career.

The Lions edged closer to survival after a 1-1 draw with QPR at Loftus Road, a result which left them two points above the drop zone ahead of the final game of the season.

The visitors claimed a deserved point when Scott Malone's late shot looped over Rob Green to cancel out Charlie Austin's contentious penalty.

Holloway said: "These lads are really pleasing me because it's going to be a fight to the death and we've given ourselves a chance to breathe.

"We have to go again next weekend. Even if we had won today, survival wouldn't have been certain because Blackpool won.

"We live to fight another day. When I sit at home tonight I will feel quite chuffed. We'll take our last run of results and hope that's enough by the end of the season.

"It feels like the longest season of my life. It will probably be my best achievement if I keep us up.

"I really enjoyed watching my lads today. I felt that was my team – the way we played and tried to do things.

"We showed tremendous character to come here and play the way we did in the first half because we're under so much pressure.

"I'm delighted for them – that's seven games without defeat now."

Holloway was furious about QPR's penalty, which was awarded against Simeon Jackson for handball.

Asked whether he was upset with the decision, the Millwall boss added:  "Just slightly, yeah, because I think handball should be deliberate.

"Sometimes your arm, as you go to jump, gets lifted up by someone's shoulder.

"It might have hit his hand but was it in the box and was it deliberate? If the referee hadn't blown, I don't think anybody in the ground would have jumped up.

"The only person who appealed was Kranjcar, who was outside the box, so I can't believe what I saw.

"Handball has to be deliberate, you have to make yourself bigger, and it has to be a movement that is not natural.

"I've got the benefit of watching it five or six times, but even in real speed I thought 'what's he doing?' Because how harsh was that given the state of the game?

"My player hasn't dived to move the ball, to stop someone from scoring – so I just don't understand.

"If you watch Match of the Day or the Football League Show, you'll see 15 incidents that are more deserving of a penalty than that one.

"The referee is adamant he saw it strike an arm but I've asked whether it was an intentional handball.

"Thank God we came back because I would have felt so aggrieved that I probably wouldn't have come up [to talk to the press] had we lost. I'd have been that angry.

"It's Millwall and we're not that popular – so it doesn't matter, does it? How many of them have we had go against us this year? Those who've watched us will know.

"It was just too easy to give that penalty."

77 thoughts on “Ollie: Keeping Millwall up would be my best achievement

• April 26, 2014 at 18:54

Hallowed be thy name.

• April 27, 2014 at 06:54

@NICKOLA: his second best achievement will getting millwall in the premier league! You having that guys!COYL!!!

• April 27, 2014 at 08:44

h o l l o w a y wahts his number?

• April 27, 2014 at 08:50

who should i get on the back of my shirt holloway , sid nelson, or aiden o'brian please vote or not

• April 27, 2014 at 08:51

one vote for a o'brien

• April 27, 2014 at 09:01

@NICKOLA: WHAT IS GONNA BE DONE ABOUT THE QPR SUPPORTERS WHO RAN ONTO THE PITCH ( KICKED ONE OF OUR PLAYERS .) THEN CAME OVER TO THE MILLWALL END TO 'ANTAGONISE' THE MILLWALL FANS WHO WERE JUST CHEERING THE RESULT.

• April 26, 2014 at 19:06

Well said Ollie.
    Whatever happens next week , this last 3 months have seen a massive turn around in our form.
    We have fought like Lions , hopefully we get some deserved luck and stay up.
    Keep the faith

• April 26, 2014 at 19:09

BELIEVE..

• April 26, 2014 at 19:23

I think thats one of the story's of our season ollie
    but hey ho.
    enjoyed watching a really good game of football today.
    every player played the game how it should be and I cant believe we came away with a point but unlike Monday's result feeling like a defeat today's result felt like a win.
    well done ollie and the boys and thanks for turning me into a saloon bar statistician - cant keep my eyes off next weeks fixtures and league table.
    COYLs

• April 26, 2014 at 19:29

We'll done ollie and the team, done us proud and never gave up, hope Leicester do a number next week but can't rely on others, so one more win please, my dicky ticker is struggling lol.

• April 26, 2014 at 19:30

Just got back. F****** chuffed to bits. Thought the subs today were poor, maybe mcdonald aside. Malone had a shocking 2nd half but got the equaliser so that's fine. Smiles all round. Shame Blackpool won but we win saturday we're fine. PS Thank you Reading, Leeds, Blackburn and Boro. F*** off Wigan, but do beat brum on tuesday night 🙂

• April 26, 2014 at 19:38

If he keeps us up, those first bloody awful 15 games in charge will be truly forgiven. The performances and results since that Blackburn game have been exactly what we expected - especially away from home. I never thought we had a hope, but this could be just as good as the great escape in 1983.

• April 26, 2014 at 19:50

@Micky Lions: Or last season. I can't deal with this last game of the season scenario for another season. I'd like to see five players coming in and five going out. Some serious money being spent. You get what you pay for and I'd be surprised if Ollie hasn't already mentally deleted names from the squad and earmarked who he wants. So, next Saturday and it all comes down to 90 minutes across the country. Some cheers and tears depending. but who else could you support?

• April 26, 2014 at 21:49

@NICKOLA: ashy the ups and downs of being wall

• April 26, 2014 at 21:50

That should be aaahh

• April 26, 2014 at 22:04

@bonnie1272: 'aaahh' that's how I feel watching us half the time.

• April 27, 2014 at 09:21

@NICKOLA: problem is nick to spend serious money we need bigger gates 10.000 aint good enough,still on a more optimistic note they have my season ticket money in the bank all £224 of it what can they buy for that,some ones big toe no doubt.

• April 27, 2014 at 02:14

@Micky Lions: If it's the season I think you mean, then we won our last 6 matches, the last of which was at the Den. I remember Kitch getting mobbed! COYL's!

• April 27, 2014 at 09:15

@robsep2b: That was 77/78 with an incredible end to the season. I can still remember every match (five at home at one away at Fulham) - makes me feel quite old. Typical Millwall, we still went down the next season!

• April 26, 2014 at 20:12

Birmingham must be in turmoil - if they lose to Wigan and there has to be a strong chance of that -(hopefully that was Wigan's cockup game) then they will have to win away to Bolton last game to pass us presuming we don't win - now that is a challenge - BIRMINGHAM RELEGATED _ THAT SOUNDS GREAT - Shut up their mouthy supporters

• April 27, 2014 at 09:56

@timchimes: . . . and their cheating poxy supporters and that knob of a manager!

• April 27, 2014 at 09:59

@REAL Supporter: SORRY - meant to say 'cheating poxy team and especially that lanky streak urine they've got up front!

• April 26, 2014 at 20:16

we were 4-1 to be relegated before today now you can get 11-1 - (compare that with 1-10 a few weeks ago) worth a few quid just in case??

• April 26, 2014 at 20:38

@beedoscores: how much would it take to sway you to bet against us - say, £10,000 at 11-1 and you win £110,000 is that worth seeing us go down - everyone has his price!

• April 26, 2014 at 20:45

@timchimes: Anyone who's got ten grand hasn't been bettting on Millwall this season that's for sure.

• April 26, 2014 at 22:05

@NICKOLA: I haven't heard from DJ so I will keep my £10k and celebrate another year in the championship next Saturday.

• April 27, 2014 at 10:03

@NICKOLA: I've managed to get our score wrong every week this season on the News at Den Prediction League. If I put us down for a win we lose or drawn, when I put us down for a loss we win.
            Congratulations Nick on getting in the top ten by the way.

• April 26, 2014 at 20:30

It's gonna be nail biting next Saturday that's for sure

• April 26, 2014 at 20:37

@treatment: You need to get your toes out of your cake hole son!

• April 26, 2014 at 21:13

@tonytowneronthewing: Saturday really? - I presumed Sunday as it has been in the past - loosing focus with the delirium of 11-1 safety

• April 26, 2014 at 20:40

I think Holloway is great!! He came into this job picking up the pieces after Lomas has messed up, yeah Lomas did bring in some good players, but didn't know how to manage them well. Holloway's tactics has seemed a bit erratic at times, but the guy hasn't sat back, he likes to take gambles,and get the best out of our players, he's shipped out the t****** who don't care about Millwall, and kept the ones who seem proud to be in a Millwall shirt. We ain't in the worst of positions or the best, but staying in this league is a big possibility thanks to Holloway. Even if we go down (Which i hope we don't) Holloway is a good enough manager to bring us straight back up, and he will get the best out of our players. I love Millwall and whatever league we are in next season, I know Holloway is good for us and our players! #COYL #WeCanStayUp #MillwallTilIDie

• April 26, 2014 at 20:53

Did anyone else back trixie Malone.....won the last race at Doncaster of all places OI OI

• April 26, 2014 at 20:53

Great performance from our lads today - constant concentration from start to finish and 100% effort - we can't ask anymore than that - WELL DONE WALL - YOU DONE US ALL PROUD!
    Also, our support was absolutely outstanding today - constant singing and encouragement- very proud..... and when the equalizer went in, well, we just went f**king ape sh*t!! Very much deserved and would've been a serious injustice for us to come away from there with nothing.
    COME ON YOU LIONS!!!!
    The QPR fans were f**king embarrassing... bunch of glory hunting slags.
    Not sure what happened with Beevers after the game, looked like one of those mugs gave him a dig.. anyone heard anything??
    P.s. feel for Martin, the guy gets his form back and ends up in challenge like that - don't think either was to blame - just a coming together... hope it's not too bad - but its worrying when other players are instantly calling on the stretcher..

• April 26, 2014 at 21:39

@Luke ColdBlow10: Beevers 'accidentally' kneed in the back by QPR fan during pitch invasion. Imagine the screaming headlines if that happened to an oppo at The Den !!!!

• April 26, 2014 at 21:08

everyone should remember that if we do stay up it will be largely due to the points that Lomas earned for us ....if we go down Ollies fault.......''one steve lomas'' ''theres only one stevie lomas''

• April 26, 2014 at 22:12

@MFC Lion:

hopefully just enough to keep us up

• April 26, 2014 at 23:39

@tonytowneronthewing: Lomas 23 points off 25 games, Holloway 22 off 20. Similar records but Lomas had pre season, Holloway didn't and that's about the only difference/

• April 27, 2014 at 01:15

Why the f**** are we talking bout that vermin c***..if that d*** head t.towner finks we owe him some kind of thanks....must be whu

• April 27, 2014 at 08:44

@Barnylion:

it was a subtle attempt at humour....obviously way too subtle for some .....i think there is geeky anorak infultration of the site

• April 26, 2014 at 21:09

I can't see Martin being fit for next Saturday. If not, hope IH brings Fredericks back in defence and moves Edwards to the wing rather than moving Dunne to right back. Also hope Martin is offered a new contract after his form in the last few games.

• April 26, 2014 at 21:41

@denslions: He's not going to tamper with the defence. So, Edwards, Dunne, Beevers and Malone.
      Same line-up as today but from the start, Morison for Martin.
      With our recent run, he's not going to put Fredericks or Chaplow in the first eleven. Might see the former as the sub in place of Morison. By Sunday, whatever happens, Fredericks will be back in North London and Tampax will be on a one way ticket outta here.

• April 26, 2014 at 22:24

@denslions: love it denslion - planning the next mission

• April 26, 2014 at 21:15

Great performance today. Had to sit with those QPR c****, only way I could get a ticket but the spirit was awesome and came home happy, wasn't expecting anything from the game so extra pleased. Haven't seen the goal again yet but the fact that Malone can't shoot seemed to work? Did he shin it?

• April 26, 2014 at 21:53

@ColdBlowLane: sick not to be there for the late goal - I know it doesn't seem to matter to them but it DOES. Next year when they lose the playoffs and Harry is gone and who knows where they will be - we will be back over there giving them more than they can take - Such a shame that the old days of POTD are gone - we'd have sold 7,000 for that today - main thing is to make sure it happens for Bournemouth - I think JB is right up for this Holloway escapade - I can see a golden period for us of proper Millwall football - no fear - if we make it we done 4 years here and that ain't a mean feat - look at the teams relegated in that time - Pompey, Bristol City Coventry, Wolves, BIRMINGHAM - not that they are bigger than us coz no one is , but with recent success so let's not forget that - GREAT COMEENTS CBL

• April 26, 2014 at 21:42

Message to IH,
    you have sorted the players out, no argument.....well done
    next on the agenda is the crowd......sort them out
    sort out the t****** who constantly bad mouth the players
    get yourself on the pitch before the bournemouth match .....
    and get the crowd going...lets scare the life out of the cherries
    COYL

• April 26, 2014 at 22:40

@eio: mate, I would f****** love an Ollie prematch rallying cry!

• April 27, 2014 at 00:01

@eio: on a personal note i sit in front of two arseholes in row s block 4 , if they behave next saturday the way they did against doncaster i will be slinging right handers

• April 26, 2014 at 21:47

Super Lions Support from Millwall fans. And well done the team player, played one of their best matches.

• April 26, 2014 at 21:54

Let em all come down to the den!!!
    Next Saturday, let's have it, win it and party !!!!!

• April 26, 2014 at 22:06

Amazing really...we are the only one of the bottom eight who have not lost at least three of their last five games.....if we do stay up the maths involved has been miraculous....little short of lottery winning proportions

• April 27, 2014 at 02:19

@tonytowneronthewing: we are the only one who have not beaten any of the bottom eight in recent games also

• April 26, 2014 at 22:11

Team I'd have:

Forde,
    Edwards, Dunne, Beevers, Malone
    Bailey, Edwards
    Easter, McDonald, Woolford
    Maierhofer

Morison not good enough to merit a start, Garvan useless, Martin injured, can't play Chaplow for first time in 322 games in such a crucial game. Agree that Ollie should get on the pitch beforehand to get the crowd going who'll no doubt be very nervous.

• April 26, 2014 at 22:15

@Alan.F:
      asking a lot of Edwards if you ask me ...he is too old for your proposed 'dual role' I would slip Jimmy in there myself ...never lets us down in the 'big ones'

• April 26, 2014 at 22:42

@tonytowneronthewing: Garvan essentially is slow - he has good control and gives you stability in a Trotter type way without the goal threat - so yes he is limited, but we must listen to Holloway : Edwards, Hof, Fredericks, Upson , Williams, not the greatest players but they have utterly changed our fortunes (and none of them cost a bean - enormous credit due) - - don't p*** Garvan off because we are so much better since he came - we are now competing with everyone and anyone in this league - Garvan or not we don't have to fear Bournemouth FFS - Bring them on and let's despatch Grabban. (my ideal scenario is Birmingham 6 nil down to Bolton and we ask Grabban where his loyalties are.

• April 27, 2014 at 12:07

@timchimes: Trotter scored yesterday for Bolton, I will always maintain Millwall should have done their utmost to keep him. He had vision and precise timing which made up for his ambling style. Never mind the focus is well and truly on our last game. I need something to calm my nerves.

• April 26, 2014 at 22:42

Edwards looks by far the fittest player on the pitch he can do the role no problem. Edwards the best signing this season.

• April 26, 2014 at 23:46

the reas@Lincolnshire Lion: yes he looks fit because we have become accustomed to pedestrian players - no era - better players - pride in what goes on on the pitch - over AND ABOVE ALL ELSE COYL

• April 26, 2014 at 23:24

Ollie your a God send we will be a side to be proud of next season good luck for Sat I'll be keeping my Jacobs crossed! We'll done lads. Walllllllllll!!!!!!

• April 26, 2014 at 23:50

@cosh1977: YES Cosh - yes this is a new era for Wall - if we can survive - go anywhere and take them on - result immaterial - WE ALWAYS WIN

• April 27, 2014 at 01:09

@timchimes: lm with you on that lomas was a stop gap Ollie the one if we stay up look out next year we can do the impossible! Coyl

• April 27, 2014 at 01:45

Omg malone who had a mare should pop up beat R .(.u let your country down) Green...it send us ruoning round loftus with our willy's hanging out ....boys & girls sets it up 4 a big at the een..u got 2 get there.....i am passing out good nite one & all

• April 27, 2014 at 02:06

Just got in. Good idea for holloway to get the fans buzzing. Don't no why some moan so much but that's life. Great day well done wall. Let's move on & destroy Bournemouth

• April 27, 2014 at 03:10

So proud of our boys since the Blackburn sickener in injury time. Gutted I couldn't get ticket today but well done to all that did, you were f****** amazing by all accounts. Can't take Bmth for granted, they playing really good football and with no pressure. Can't rely on Leicester or anybody else, we gotta win next week coz Sod's law could see other results go against us. We gotta fill the Den next week and simply sing our hearts out and push our boys over the line - we got to be the twelfth man and make up for the referee who will probably also be against us. We are not staying up yet, good as we've done lately - gotta win against a very good Bournemouth side and next Saturday we will show just how f****** good us fans are and make that difference. Hostile (to the enemy), supportive of our team, loud, passionate and above all patient - if we have to back em to the 90th minute to get that goal so be it - at least we know we can f****** score in the 90th+ minute - we are needed, gotta win, it's all or nothing. COYL!!

PS: safe journey home Grassgrower

• April 27, 2014 at 09:39

IH or Gary Bowyer could even get manager of the month for April. W 3 D 4 L0 , W 5 D 2 L0

• April 27, 2014 at 10:13

Almost over the line now just need to stay focused and get the win against Bournemouth. Ok we may not need any more points, but as we saw yesterday with Blackpool winning at Wigan nothing is certain in this league. Well done Ollie and the boys on a great performance yesterday.

• April 27, 2014 at 13:18

We have to look at this and thank Ollie... If we still had Lomas and his suicidal defensive tactics and conceded 3/4 a game. We'd be rooted to the bottom. Ollie has almost stabilised us and got us to a level where we are hard to beat which is important.
    I believe we can get a result next weekend with the fans roaring the lads on... But surely Leicester will want to win their last home game against Donny and secure us anyway!

We all believe millwall it's time to stand up and play for that badge

• April 27, 2014 at 13:22

@CrawleyLion: well said Crawley lion just need a result next Saturday a And the we can look forward to next season and Ollie having a preseason

• April 27, 2014 at 17:03

@CrawleyLion: Think Leicester will want to beat Donny, if they do they will pass the 100 point mark.
      Wigan need to beat Birmingham because they are not guaranteed a play off place yet, Brighton are only a point behind them.
      Just hope the results go our way, take the pressure off us a little.

• April 27, 2014 at 21:20

@antzz64: That's also the way I see things. If Birmingham lose to Wigan then they must win their last game, or else we are safe. If Doncaster draw and we do not lose by more than 1 goal, we are safe; 45 points being enough. But if anything has been proven this season it is this: nothing is predictable. We must win to be sure. Whatever comes, I think Holloway deserves thanks and credit for turning this team into mid-table quality from what it was and for giving a sense of hope. After all, he has led us to a play off final at home.