Edwards hopes to play his part in Millwall's Great Escape

©
©

CARLOS Edwards hopes to become a Millwall hero by the end of the season.

The 35-year-old's arrival at The Den has coincided with a six-game unbeaten run which has put the Lions within touching distance of Championship survival.

Edwards, whose contract with parent club Ipswich expires in the summer, is unsure what his future holds beyond the end of the campaign.

So he wants to leave The Den on a high next month – and then he will assess whether a permanent move to SE16 could be on the cards.

He said: "I came here to help the team get out of the situation that they were in and I'm close to doing that.

"I hope, come the end of the season, that I can say I played my part in survival – or The Great Escape as the fans call it.

"In the summer, maybe I can sit down with Mr Holloway and see if he wants me to stay on.

"I think most likely I'll be moving on from Ipswich but where to is the next question."

A breath of fresh air at right-back, Edwards has been a key figure in the Lions' revival.

"Looking at the fixtures we had three weeks ago, a lot of people had written us off," he said.

"For the lads to turn things around is second to none. The manager has done a wonderful job.

"You could say me coming in has freshened things up a little, but it all boils down to the group and we've dug in and pulled our fingers out.

"We've taken 12 points from 18 – not long ago, it didn't look like we'd win another game."

Holloway added: "Carlos is so laid back and that's really helped. He hasn't stopped smiling since he's been here.

"But I can't think about next season yet – I've got to deal with these last two games first."

25 thoughts on “Edwards hopes to play his part in Millwall's Great Escape

• April 24, 2014 at 10:03

after the shaun derry signing i had my doubts about carlos, but humble pie has been eaten in big chunks. carlos has been fantastic for us and fingers crossed we will be ok this season.

• April 24, 2014 at 10:20

@TONY BLOCK28: i aree fans saw we had a winger then we saw is age..i fort not another over the hill player..after a shaky debut..he really as shown wot a excellent player he is..cobblers to derry not the same class..

• April 24, 2014 at 16:17

@TONY BLOCK28: I agree, he has really added to the team and still one of the quickest in the squad - I'd offer him another year if he'd accept

• April 24, 2014 at 10:14

He has been a superb addition to the side, he brings wealth of experience and I think we should consider giving him another year's deal for next season regardless of what division we end up in. This summer is huge for the club and we need the right balance of both youth and experience and I personally think players like Edwards, Easter, Robbo, Bailey are a bonus to have round the squad as they set the standard for the likes of Fred, Pavey, Nelson etc. Can't wait for the game on Saturday! COYL!

• April 24, 2014 at 10:15

@Omer Ronayne: And when I mean standard I mean commitment and not necessarily skill! 😉

• April 24, 2014 at 10:29

Yes, he can run like a good winger and puts a hard enough shot on goal , keep the work -rate up Carlos. ( good man ).

• April 24, 2014 at 10:52

When I watched him play against Watford I thought he had a lot of class, his passing is accurate and his timing superb. Carlos crosses the ball well and never stops running, another year at Millwall would be ample reward for his efforts.

• April 24, 2014 at 11:02

Give him a six month contract leading onto an extension based on performances. I reckon he'll put a shift in whatever league we end up. Not to mention he was captain for Ipswich and you cant go wrong with another leader in the squad.

• April 24, 2014 at 11:05

I think he's worth another year , he looked good to me against donny, and going by what he saying I think he would like to stay aswell,we need players who want to play for this great club no more hangers on.

• April 24, 2014 at 12:13

@foxy: Agree mate, done more for the cause than, Jackson, Easter, Hoyte etc etc.............
      So give him an extended contract at the den as he has earned it, unlike the above plus a few more!!!

• April 24, 2014 at 11:48

Has put in some good performances but what stood out for me was his passion at forest.

• April 24, 2014 at 12:35

@block 28: his goal at wigan none to shabby.either..CARLOS THE JACKAL is out to get you nappy

• April 24, 2014 at 12:43

@Jim28: Lol, We like that Jim28 . ' CARLOS THE JACKAL' ( should catch on! ).

• April 24, 2014 at 12:50

Even at 35, experience and poise in tight situations is invaluable, get the job done Carlos, don't leave anything to chance and stand up when it counts mate. Staying ups not only possible it's times like these that great club thrive on !!!!!

• April 24, 2014 at 13:39

So much better than Dunne in that position, but to be fair, I thought Dunne did well in the 1st half on Saturday, although f*** all to do in the second half, apart from giving Fordey a dodgy back pass.
    Carlos looks comfortable and knows a pass when he sees one. so onwards and upwards....COYL

• April 24, 2014 at 18:56

@beedoscores: I can see you watched the game closely bee discourses, cause you got it accurate.

• April 24, 2014 at 14:26

You're right in what you say Ollie, let's concentrate on finishing the job and get safe before we talk about next season.

• April 24, 2014 at 15:14

I hope he is here next season.
    He has been key to our recent form.

• April 24, 2014 at 18:41

"He hasn't stopped smiling since he's been here."
    This sounds great!
    Despite is 35,he showed a very good physical condition,as well as unquestionable technical and human qualities...another year of contract is the least he deserves imo,even more so if he will mark another gol good for our survival!!!

• April 25, 2014 at 08:19

I like what I have seen of this guy, good fitness levels and knows when to break forward and when to defend. Definitely worth a years contract in either Championship or League 1.

• April 25, 2014 at 08:33

" CARLOS " ANOTHE ONE OF THOSE POSITIVES RUNS FROM THE WING, HEADING
    TOWARDS GOAL WILL DO NICELY, MATE !!!!!!
    [ THEN HEAR THE " SUPER ROAR " OF US MILLWALL FANS ]
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN..................LOOKS TO " THE JACKAL " FOR JOY !!!!

• April 25, 2014 at 12:21

Edwards and Bailey were the standout players for me on Monday against Doncaster. I agree with the comments on here we should try and get him in for a year.