Malone hails crucial win as Millwall climb out of drop zone

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

SCOTT Malone says Millwall can take a huge step towards Championship safety with a win over Doncaster tomorrow.

Malone hailed the Lions' 2-1 victory at Middlesbrough yesterday before turning his attention to the visit of fellow strugglers Rovers to The Den on Easter Monday.

Stefan Maierhofer's first-half brace at the Riverside Stadium set Ian Holloway's side on their way to a deserved three points and saw Millwall climb out of the relegation zone.

The Lions now return to home soil, where they are winless in eight matches, looking to put further distance between themselves and the bottom three.

Malone said: "We needed a minimum of four points from these two games so it is a massive win for us.

"We've gone above Charlton and Blackpool in the table and now we are level on points now with Doncaster and Birmingham, so it's looking good for us.

"The results that went our way on Friday wouldn't have mattered if we'd lost yesterday – the main focus was keeping our shape and doing what we did against Forest and Wigan.

"We knew we could do the business away from home, so we went into the Boro game with confidence and believing we could win it.

"Playing away is a totally different game. At The Den, teams sit off us and our defensive shape without the ball goes out the window a little bit.

"You'd like it the other way around, where you win at home and draw away, but at this stage of the season it doesn't really matter where the points come.

"Now we have to produce this kind of performance at The Den."

Maierhofer picked the perfect time to open his account for the Lions, heading home two teasing crosses from Lee Martin.

"We are all really pleased for Stefan," Malone said. "I wouldn't say he's missed a couple of chances – they haven't been open goals – but it's nice for him to get two.

"He and Steve Morison bring a big presence to the team and we're benefiting from that

"Another win would tee us up nicely for the last two games. If we do beat Doncaster, I think we'd be safe with one more point, maybe three."

22 thoughts on “Malone hails crucial win as Millwall climb out of drop zone

• April 20, 2014 at 12:06

Malone my player of the season

• April 20, 2014 at 12:08

Got my ticket for Doncaster any injuries?

• April 20, 2014 at 13:08

We'll Done ! Everybody connected with Millwall FC.

• April 20, 2014 at 13:13

I have only managed to get to the QPR game but my eldest is 10 tomorrow and he asked to go so I have just got my 5 tickets to add to the gate. What attendance do we predict? 13/14000?

• April 20, 2014 at 13:28

@JonnyBanks: being a bankholiday suerly we can get 14000 can't we? Or is it same old millwall only come down when were really doing well.

• April 20, 2014 at 13:52

@foxy: by gone days you didn't need to be prompted or invited to the den..or get permission of the missus..millwall just filed down cbl to back the team they adore..so i'am not gonna beg people to show up...up to you lions fans if you want to turnout

• April 20, 2014 at 14:05

@Jim28: It was a lot easier in the good old days at CBL though wasn't it. Pay on the gate, easier ground to get to, and a packet of peanuts from the old girl with the furry boots. Good old days.

• April 20, 2014 at 14:45

@JonnyBanks: you remember the furry boots..enough said

• April 20, 2014 at 14:11

Where's the Wembley 35k? Surely anyone who wad at Wembley would realise this game is more important and no doubt it will have sold out...... No? Of course not. To be honest I find the Den can be more passionate when the hardcore 8-9k are there on a Tuesday night. It might not be as loud as 15k plastic fans but it's more passionate because you can feel the buzz of what itmeans. I think Bournemouth will have nothing to play for and QPR will be resting players for the play offs so tomorrow is not the last chance saloon of the season. It is however so important not to lose to keep our momentum going. COYL onwards and upwards. Miiiiiiiii

• April 20, 2014 at 14:57

@southlondon1885: We all went round in circles last year over the so called plastic fans when the Wigan tickets went on sale. It is hard for some people to go week in week out. Saying that maybe its best some stay away if they are going to smash the granny out of each other?

• April 20, 2014 at 15:05

@southlondon1885: I will there tomorrow travelling down from Liverpool being a pensioner can't get to many home games go to all the northern games,so don't tell me I am not passionate about Millwall been supporting them since 1958

• April 20, 2014 at 20:07

@southlondon1885: Not this plastic fan rubbish. There probably are plastic fans, but given the captement area of our club many do not have spare dosh to go often. In my case and no doubt many others, educated yet priced out of London (and the country), you can only reserve games for penultimate moments for logistic and/or financial reasons. Both sets of "plastic" fans fall into the same category of loving their club as do those who go often, but can only express from distance. That said, there should be 14k there at least.

• April 20, 2014 at 14:36

@Jim28: talking of cbl jim when I was a kid I was walking back across the halfway line with me pie when I heard someone shout foxy I looked up to the old dogtrack two of my brother inlaws said come up here great view, I did, then got slung out by the old bill, must be the irish in me, I'm sure it was a cup game 1970s against chelsea.

• April 20, 2014 at 15:45

@carewlion: the seaton geezers are coming ..give me the old den anytime@foxy: the dogtrack was nick named jews hill

• April 20, 2014 at 14:54

@Jim28: Jim dropping the wife at Newcastle airport @06:00 in the morning then straight down the A1 will be in sth London around 12:00 got my ticket for block 9 cbl but not a patch on the old cbl

• April 20, 2014 at 14:13

@JonnyBanks: Sad really that with such a huge game, we are only thinking about a crowd of 13k, should be a full house no questions asked , specially as at last the team are performing at last!!!

• April 20, 2014 at 14:12

You've played brilliant this season Scotty! Definitely my player of the season!

• April 20, 2014 at 14:57

4 points would of been good if we didn't win yesterday but now we've done the hard business 4 points now would be a a little disappointing

• April 20, 2014 at 16:13

Think we need to go out there & play like we did against Watford 2moz .. Donni r no mugs & will be up for it as much as we are .. Lets hope we can crack on & look forwards to next season in the championship .. Who wood av 4t we wood b think that afew weeks ago .. Well dunny & all the boys for stepping up & showing a real pride in our colours ..Milllllllllllllllllllllll

• April 20, 2014 at 23:04

Biggest supported team at the wembley grounds, yet one of the worst supported in the league. Says it all. Save your excuses and just get down the den

• April 21, 2014 at 00:04

Someone cheer for me...just can't get there. Will be listening at work wishing I was there...gutted. COYL!

• April 21, 2014 at 03:31

@the ref:
      I normally shout at the refs so consider it done mate.