Holloway: Millwall deserved to beat Boro by bigger margin

©
©

IAN Holloway felt Millwall deserved to beat Middlesbrough by a greater margin on Saturday.

The Lions recorded a 2-1 win at the Riverside Stadium to lift themselves out of the bottom three but would have been worthy victors by a more emphatic scoreline.

Boro goalkeeper Dimi Konstantopoulos made several fine saves in the second half and Lee Martin was denied a third goal by the offside flag.

In the end, Stefan Maierhofer's first-half brace proved to be enough, rendering Emmanuel Ledesma's free kick a mere consolation for the hosts.

"We stuck to our task, we knew what we were doing and I'm just disappointed that we lost the second half," Holloway said afterwards.

"We deserved to win by more than one goal.

"I don't know how the linesman can give a free kick when their fella has thrown himself over on the edge of the box, and if you look at Martin's follow up he was onside.

"Just get it right – because there are huge things at stake now. If they'd equalised at the end, that wouldn't have been fair because their goalkeeper was man of the match.

"I wanted to win the second half so I'm disappointed that we didn't.

"But would I have accepted that performance? Totally. Did I expect it from them? Yes I did, because we're getting better.

"Did I expect more from Middlesbrough? Truthfully, yes, I did, but we caused them a lot of problems which is good for me and my lads.

"We've got to keep going and keep going – that's five unbeaten now."

Holloway heaped praise on goal-hero Maierhofer, who buried two close-range headers from Martin crosses to put the Lions in control.

"It's a good job he's big enough to head those into the net, because he missed a sitter early on," Holloway said.

"I was surprised at their team sheet and I didn't think they would play that back three. That's what cost them.

"They changed it really quickly at 2-0 because they couldn't handle Maierhofer.

"I'm delighted for him. He's helped our results since I put him in the team, he's an honest boy who works his socks off and he's proved he can score.

"He's unlocked the door for other people around him. Martin is playing exceptionally well – he looks as good as he has ever looked.

"It was a good, solid performance all round. It was a bit nervy at the end but that's us – we do it the hard way."

Millwall face a quick turnaround before Monday's battle with Doncaster at The Den.

"It's going to be a tough game at home," Holloway added.

"Our lads are learning how to play away – they look so relaxed and understand things and now they have to do that at home.

"It's nice to get this run going – so well done to the boys. We have got to get home and get ready for Monday, because this win is no good if we don't follow it up.

"I'm delighted for this lot because they've deserved things that they haven't got since I have been here and they've kept going. Let's see if we can keep going.

"I don't want to look at the league table – it is irrelevant. It will only matter after the next three games."

70 thoughts on “Holloway: Millwall deserved to beat Boro by bigger margin

• April 19, 2014 at 19:23

win on monday we will be safe. well done ollie and the boys. i can enjoy my easter eggs now!!!

• April 19, 2014 at 19:28

I watched Doncaster last night and think they were unlucky not to get something from that match V Derby.
    They would have had a longer recovery period and it's no forgone conclusion and it will take a big effort from our lads but we are on a roll away from home but we need to avoid defeat in this penultimate home fixture as our prime objective.
    On paper our struggling rivals seem to have it all to do, but there will be some unexpected results and the final match Blackpool v Charlton should see one of them go down but we must keep our foot on the pedal.

• April 19, 2014 at 20:30

@Moody:
      true enough - if Sunderland can win at Chelsea all results are possible but we have the best chance - Donny have serious injuries up front - no need to fear them; they don't travel well
      I hope they stay up - they are fighting the odds like us - much rather Birmingham go down - it is still possible

• April 19, 2014 at 19:31

Fantastic win..bring on doncaster. COYL

• April 19, 2014 at 20:00

Millwall play better at home when the fans are behind them, so no more swearing at them all we should do is cheer COYL

• April 19, 2014 at 20:04

@munchy: I won't be swearing for a change on Monday, COYL

• April 19, 2014 at 20:01

Top result not lost in 5 didn't see that coming well done all of you, keep it up beat Dony at home the fans need it. COYL

• April 19, 2014 at 20:03

Well done chaps excellent effort and my scoe line prediction was spot on

• April 19, 2014 at 20:06

A few weeks back we couldn't buy a win, now fantastically hollas is getting anxious bout how much we win by! Shows that things are turning and s***, that feels great. Keep on demanding more ian , it's good for the soul!

• April 19, 2014 at 20:18

F*** everything this will always be what its about! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O8S0yNtbtWk

• April 19, 2014 at 21:25

@kempo_123:
      Cheers for that Kempo.
      Quality.
      We dont need no horns or drums to create am atmosphere.
      Spot on Pip.

• April 19, 2014 at 23:10

@wall2wall: Your welcome! Eat sleep breath this clip! Win lose or draw! Makes me feel proud! Maybe we should put that on in the away changing rooms before they come out! They'ed s*** themselves! Focus Monday and we'll be alright!

• April 20, 2014 at 03:52

@kempo_123:
          Just keep doing what we are doing. One game at a time.
          The club should get Scroobius to do this live before the teams come out for a massive game like Monday's.
          I've spoken to him a couple of times. Top fella.

• April 19, 2014 at 20:22

Scroobius pip! Ledgend! X

• April 19, 2014 at 20:31

I know we're not safe yet but when IH said ee need 15 points to be safe, I, along with many others laughed and thought what a mug. I am so pleased I've been proved wrong and really almost believe we can stay up. I can't make it on Monday due to work commitments but I'm sure the Den will be bouncing. I hope so as I'm going to the Bournemouth match so would like to go there knowing we're safe. Miiiiiiiiiii

• April 19, 2014 at 20:44

Well the really good news is that we have saved some goals for Monday...1 upwards NIL will do just fine...am not greedy!!

• April 19, 2014 at 21:21

Feed the hoff and he will score, feed the hoff and he will score.
    cracking effort lads ollie players and to the travelling army.
    fingers crossed no injury worries for whats a huge six pointer on Monday.
    Can't wait.
    COYLs

• April 19, 2014 at 21:44

Extremely happy with the results everything's going our way, so far.

I reckon Monday we're give to Doncaster Monday!!!

COYL!!!

• April 19, 2014 at 21:51

Don't worry Ollie the 3 points are more important than how many goals we actually won by. You're doing a great job mate, keep it up. COYL

• April 19, 2014 at 22:00

If we beat Doncaster and Barnsley lose at Derby then Barnsley can't catch us. Based on a Wall win, Yeovil would have to get 9 points from their last 3 games to catch us and that's assuming we lose our last two. That means, I think, that it's either Blackpool, Charlton, Doncaster, Biringham or us to go down.
    Having seen the next three games involving that lot, I'm going for Blackpool.
    I'm now hopeful.
    Very hopeful.

• April 20, 2014 at 11:39

@NICKOLA: Even if the worst happens and we don't beat Doncaster on Monday I still the final bottom 6 at the end of the season as
      Charlton 19th
      Doncaster 20th
      Millwall 21st
      Blackpool 22nd
      Barnsley 23rd
      Yeovil 24th
      The worse situation is that going into the final Saturday Charlton are already safe and if Blackpool beat them they finish above us. It would be just like Charlton to let them do that!!!

• April 19, 2014 at 22:01

Don't worry Mr Holloway, we have 3 big ones in the bag!! Well done boys

• April 19, 2014 at 22:10

SO....... I've got up on Easter Sunday with a strange feeling in my gut.

All my local teams I follow have lost over the last 2 days, Auckland Blues (rugby) lost / North Shore (Local football team ) Lost / NZ Warriors (Rugby League) Lost......
    (remember I'm in NZ) so rugby and league are still the main sports here.

So I put on the laptop, find the sports page to look at all football results........
    And BOOM...............

We did it..... I said to my friend on Friday, if only one of my teams wins over the weekend it has to be MILLWALL. We need it / we deserve it and we need to be in the Championship next season.

My friend said that the mad man (IH) is a great coach.... he has his way of doing things and once the team understand him, work for him, play the football he wants to play Millwall will rise again.

I think it has taken a few months to get to the stage where the team have got to where he wants them to be. Lets face it we all thought we were going down. AND now LOOK..... yes it has taken some time, Yes we have had some wobbles, Yes IH is a crazy man with some of his pic's / formations but hey

We are Millwall, We are crazy, we are passionate, we love our team and all we ask is the players and the manager do the same..... And you know what........ I THINK WE ARE THERE.........

Well done Wall....... we have one foot over the line. Can we SMASH Dony on Monday with an atmosphere at the den like we know we can. Then I believe our 2nd foot may well be over the line too.

I do miss my sat afternoons at the Den..... but let everyone know I'm their in Spirit always....

Come on WE CAN DO IT....

PS: Yes my friend has first hand knowledge of IH, He is a palace fan ( unfortunately )

• April 19, 2014 at 22:37

@Kiwimillwall: get a lot of Palace fans in Bristol !!!!! Never heard that one I suppose he's got a tattoo a drum flag and everything that goes with it.

• April 19, 2014 at 22:23

Brilliant result but its loony that we have to play again Monday, the Doncaster game ought to have been on Tuesday to allow the team at least a rest.

• April 19, 2014 at 22:38

@Peckhamlad: we used to play Good Friday morning KO Saturday pm and Easter Monday in the old days. Should be no problem for the modern duper athlete.

• April 19, 2014 at 22:31

A streak manager, said it from day one. Would not be surprised if we go to the end unbeaten now. Equally I wouldn't be surprised if we can't buy a win at the start of next season. Well done to all involved but the honeymoon period is definitely over now, no going back to the bottom three and bottom three performances. COYL

• April 19, 2014 at 22:38

we are due a home win - not since IH first game Ipswich - surely

• April 20, 2014 at 00:42

@timchimes: that was the best we have played away all season..1 cos boro had won their last 4 at home..2 we played for ninety minutes not 20 or just 45 & then cling on....& 3 who said the hof cant jump..shame on you...onwards & upwards COM ON U WAL

• April 20, 2014 at 00:03

It's back in our hands now.
    Let's just hope we don't f*** it up now.
    Great little run of wins etc.
    Well done Ollie.

• April 20, 2014 at 01:02

I said on here last week that I liked the hoff but said that for a big man he should be winning more balls in the air. Well how wrong was I. Two great headed goals , it's a shame he didn't get his hatrick he deserved it. Also what a great fighting spirit from the whole team. One more beer & iam done.

• April 20, 2014 at 02:19

Guys got a bit of a confession as I was a doubter over the last month and over this massive Easter religious long weekend I now believe!...... but let them who wants to chastise , who had no doubt, and no doubt amongst them over the last month cast the first stone ? I Will be in Block 4 on Monday to watch the Messiah cast his magic and hopefully see us put Doncaster to the sword COYL!!

• April 20, 2014 at 02:33

Been WALL over 50 years now and you hear so many new signings and new managers go to a club and spout how much they love that club only for another to come in offer more money and away they trot.
    Ollies only been here 5mins but he loves this club and is proud to be with us he is wearing his heart on his sleeve,he talks about us being tough and wants his players to be tough and do things the Millwall way and he is right and he is doing it.and for a long time now so are the players. LONG MAY IT CONTINUE WHAT EVER LEAGUE WE FIND OURSELVES IN....and if we do go down it certainly wont be through lack of effort.......COYL

• April 20, 2014 at 03:06

If Ollie does keep us up i think this time next season we could be having an "Ollie Boys Outing" and i dont mean to Margate lol

• April 20, 2014 at 19:22

@MIGHTY: Don`t you mean Margit or Sarfend 🙂

• April 20, 2014 at 03:56

F*** me that's a long way home, - most enjoyable though with a win. Can't believe the transformation, we look like we've got a game plan and the lads look so determined. Thought we were well and truly gone - what a turnaround. Credit to Ollie, first he stopped us shipping 4's and 5's, and now finally we are scoring some goals and looking like we can score a hatful. It was pretty much all us - 3 top away wins and 10 out of 12 - what odds could we have got on that - just unbelievable. Proper club, proper fans, Millwall means the f****** world to me, - just so happy. Just hope we don't f*** it up and lose to Doncaster. Donny won't bring many, let's give em a hostile atmosphere and get behind the lads - they've done f****** brilliant for our badge the last 4 games. COYL!!!!

• April 20, 2014 at 06:57

Now, let's plan for the party on Monday afternoon, and all Summer long. Well done Ollie, and all the Millwall players, not forgetting the 'Players of the Year' ( 12th Man - Millwall fans Home & Away ) .

• April 20, 2014 at 07:52

@BUSHWACKER14: let em come let em come let em come let them all come down the den...this is the one all millwall should turnout for..we have fans making the trip from the N.East ..if you aint got a ticket..you can get one on the day....lets rock the den

• April 20, 2014 at 08:53

Great win at Middlesbrough kept my record of never seeing them lose there,great spirit got the team back,got me train tickets for tomorrow coming down from Liverpool can't get to many home matches not going to miss this one,lets make it like the Huddersfield game scare the hell out of them COYL

• April 20, 2014 at 09:20

@eddiebrewer: top man Eddie true Millwall will travel to back the team we silenced their drums yesterday great support from those traveling lions

• April 20, 2014 at 09:32

@carewlion: Could not agree more,can't see Blackpool winning another game,can't wait to get there atmosphere should terrific shame the pie and mash shop won't be open

• April 20, 2014 at 10:03

@eddiebrewer: leaving for the den around 07:00 4.30 drive round trip of 540 mile but would drive 1000miles to back the lions so any light weights is get to the den not just Wembley

• April 20, 2014 at 10:47

@carewlion: getting the 9-30 train,hope to see a proper Millwall performance again,hope all Lions fans who can get there turn up,only a 400 mile round trip quite local

• April 20, 2014 at 09:39

So happy I might be proved wrong about the outcome of this season! Just to add that if we beat Doncaster then there is at least one other team with a worse goal difference than us (finally!). For this reasons it is a bit like a 7-pointer match.

• April 20, 2014 at 09:48

I must admit after Birmingham game I thought the fat lady was signing but I should of known really after 30 years down the Den that the lions are no good for the blood pressure COYL!!

• April 20, 2014 at 09:55

That 's life with the Lions!

Would we want it any other way?

COYL!!!!

• April 20, 2014 at 09:57

We need a big turn out tomorrow and not get on there backs if one of em misses a sitter just sing your hearts out, because if I was playing in front of you lot when your singing no one like us I would be so proud to have that shirt on.

• April 20, 2014 at 10:08

In the past eighteen months the opinions on here have ranged from Jackett being a genius to being next to useless, Lomas being the great white hope to being the worst manager we've ever had and Holloway being the Messiah to being clueless and after a short unbeaten run he's the Messiah again.
    People need to take a step back and remember that it was Holloway who took us to the bottom and that we are now back where he started. If he keeps us up, so what, good darts, first part of the job done.
    I hope he is our Messiah but let's see where we are this time next year before we all get carried away again.

• April 20, 2014 at 10:37

@lion.ie:

bad show lion - it took him months to sort out our trouble makers and see our weaknesses - we are a million miles ahead of where lomas left us in terms of spirit , tactics and teamwork - think back to just before he came - The shame against Southend , the nil nil against Donny away where we clung on against a weak side and of course the shocking performance against Boro at home (same oppo different outcome)

• April 20, 2014 at 15:22

@lion.ie: he had to fix the many problems we had before the performances improved and as seen in recent weeks the results have started to go our way.

An instant fix and change in fortunes was unrealistic and you sound ungrateful for what he's managed to do so far.

• April 20, 2014 at 15:33

@lion.ie: If we go down with Holloway he still gets my support. He had inherited rubbish and had no pre-season at all. When he took the job he was quoted as saying relegation was a very real possibility and he cannot work miracles. I agree with the range of fickle comments people make with all managers and it is really disappointing at times, especially those who throw the "C" word round. But Holloway surely deserves the benefit of the doubt whatever happens this season. If we stay up I personally feel he has exceeded expectations.

• April 20, 2014 at 10:39

Great result, well done the Hoff. Monday forget going to b and q and get down the den, we need the Den to be rocking this is our cup final, the missing Wembley thousands get down here as a win on Monday and we are almost there. I fancy something at qpr next week but due to the small allocation I will be watching the beamback next Sat. Come on the hoff

• April 20, 2014 at 15:43

@golden lion: Do you mean there is still a televised match left this season?

• April 20, 2014 at 10:41

lion ie
    Ollie took us to the bottom with what Lomas left him a team with no clue,no fight,and no passion,make no bones about it m8 we would be down now if that continued. and we are now granted back where we started when Ollie took over. but we now look like we are moving up the league and not down,

• April 20, 2014 at 10:50

I bet ollies team talks are simple show them what that Charlton mug said, ID rather been in Charlton's position than millwall, please Blackpool relegate them on the last day so they can have there pikie derby next season and ram those comments back down his throat.

• April 20, 2014 at 11:04

Well done Ollie and the boys great result. Just keep your feet on the floor, be confident, keep the momentum going and hopefully get the three points against Doncaster which will go a long way to securing Championship football next season.

• April 20, 2014 at 11:19

For whatever reason when KJ left the club, we had a squad that were not performing, SL attempted to arrest the decline that had set in but could not manage to do so in the three or four months that he was given. Whether he was good enough or not is neither here nor there, he left a team performing in pretty much the same manner and form as KJ had.
    IH took over and took some time to change our fortunes around...surely nobody expected a few years decline to be halted immediately..............and we are now in a position where our fortune is in our own hands....and we have momentum....and a lot of slackers and non triers have been shown the door

onwards and upwards COYL

• April 20, 2014 at 11:55

@eio: good post eio a lot of people on nad wont face reality and admit we were on the decline under kj and ,this continued under lomas ,as i understand it there was one thing that both Kj and lomas had problems with and that was certain players were trouble and if you can recall IH saying certain players gave lomas little help.The first thing IH did was to stamp his authority on the players by telling the they would do it his way or not at all,but was IH having problems,leading to dunny having a right go in the dressing room,that has led to this great run we are on.

• April 20, 2014 at 13:28

When you look at the form tables it clearly shows that we are 6th over the last 6 games and 12th over the last 10 games overall.

Our away form has made the difference and I firmly believe that is because at home too many fans get on the players backs.
    This makes some of them nervous on the ball and not play to their full potential.
    Some people might say they're professionals and should be able to cope with it.
    I would say that you are giving the away teams an advantage and we should be giving their players stick and not our own players.

Let's hope we keep the form going to the end of the season starting tomorrow with a win against Doncaster.

If we stay up it will be a fantastic achievement by Ollie in my opinion.
    He can build on that form going into next season.
    He will have to have a clear out but if he brings in more players like Upson and Williams we might see some quality football down the Den next season but we desperately need a natural goal scorer.

• April 20, 2014 at 14:30

@MillwallGra:
      Agree with a lot of your post.
      It must be so disheartning for the players. I guarantee that the first misplaced pass will be met with by howls of anger by many but not all.
      If I was a player I would think thanks a f****** lot for that. We have just gone on an amazing run and one misplaced pass and I'm getting it and as you rightly say this then gives the opposition the advantage.
      I think our twelth man is the best in the football world but I dont think we always use him the best way.
      Would love to see a bit more patience but I wont hold my breath.

• April 20, 2014 at 15:36

@wall2wall:
        I totally agree about the twelfth man once Steve Morrison got the goal back against Watford the atmosphere was brilliant down the Den the other Saturday even when we went 2-1 down.
        Unfortunately some idiot behind us moaned for 90 minutes about how F**king rubbish we were and how much he had paid for his ticket.
        Someone was shouting back at him well don't F**king pay it!.
        He left early and we scored.
        Clearly we are not so F**king rubbish after all considering some of teams we have beaten or drawn against recently?

• April 20, 2014 at 15:33

@MillwallGra: some fans at the Den are a disgrace with the way they s*** off the players and swear at them for the slightest mistake.

It does no good what so ever to the team and only contributes to them being scared on the ball and afraid to try anything ambitious in case it doesn't come off.

Frustrated with the performances or not I seriously wonder if some are just as thick as s*** to seriously think their input to the game has any benefit in motivating the players.

Correction I know some are as thick as s*** I hear the same muppets game after game

• April 20, 2014 at 14:55

after the last 2 weeks and the amount of effort both boss man and his team have put in anybody giving a player mindless grief should get a slap,,,,,

• April 20, 2014 at 15:52

@MIGHTY:
      I understand how you feel but we don't want another Wembley.
      I think the best way to get round it is when the plonkers start to have a pop at the players start a MILLLLLLL when they start again do it again, I am sure the monks chant will drown out the fans who continuously slagg off the players.

• April 20, 2014 at 14:59

The team are playing for their shirts and they look like a proper Millwall team with passion and belief kitch and Harry would be proud .

• April 20, 2014 at 15:53

@carewlion: kitch and cripps bring back happy memories the grit shown they would be proud always a dunphy fan myself

• April 20, 2014 at 16:05

@eddiebrewer: those were the days tho old den my second home what place was a crap hole but we use to frighten teams I was at a function about seven years back and I was taking to Brian robsons brother Gary and he said that the old den was the he hated the most he said it was the most hostile place to go .

• April 20, 2014 at 16:44

@carewlion: thoroughly agree,walking along the old canal to cbl going under the railway bridge with the bullet holes still in the wall remember the game against Carlisle 1-0 down then the crowd stated brilliant and we got the record great days met Terry Gennoe in a pub outside Accrington he said the same

• April 22, 2014 at 09:19

YES , THEY WERE GREAT DAYS AT THE OLD DEN, BUT HEY ! WE HAVE SOME BRILLIANT
    SUPPORTERS AT THE NEW DEN, ESPECIALLY [ AS YOU BOTH HAVE SEEN ] AWAY MATCHES
    AROUND THE COUNTRY !!!!
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN..........................................STILL ROLLS ON !!!!