Millwall boss laughs off "gesture" made to Watford fans

©
©

IAN Holloway has laughed off his two-fingered salute to Watford fans.

The Lions boss was subjected to abusive chants from the away end throughout Saturday's clash at The Den but had the last laugh when Martyn Woolford hit a last-minute equaliser.

Holloway then gestured to the 1,369 Hornets supporters at the final whistle – but insisted he had simply been signalling the final scoreline.

While Holloway pointed out that his hand was turned the 'polite' way round, he admitted: "I knew what I was doing."

He added: "I said it was '2-2' because they were calling me something that you should not be called. Is that tongue in cheek? Of course it is.

"I used the same hand twice. Is there anything wrong with that?"

Holloway suspects Watford fans are still sore from their defeat to his Crystal Palace side in the Championship play-off final last year

"It must be sour grapes. I did my job and they didn't like it," he said.

"I have never done anything else against them, so that must be it. How narrow-minded are they? Any chance of saying 'well done'? It's just rubbish.

"That is what I don't like about football. You should be gracious in defeat, so if that's what they want to do just because I managed to beat them then they can jog on.

"I just don't understand it – Watford fans are meant to be nice people.

"I don't know who they were in the away end and I won't be sending any of them a card at Christmas, but I don't really care because we got a vital point.

"They were lucky to be 2-1 up in the first place.

"I don't think a ground should be allowed to sing something like that, not with young people in the crowd.

"If I'm going to get in trouble, I do apologise, but my excuse is '2-2' and I probably should have turned my hands the other way. I knew what I was doing though.

"If people can't see the funny side of that…the fourth official did, he was laughing his head off! If I've offended anybody I don't care because they've offended me by screaming at me.

"It was not a lewd gesture at all – it was the score. How finicky are we getting if you can't have a little bit of banter?

"Was I fighting with their dugout? Do I bring the game into disrepute? I don't think so, I think I make the game a nicer place to be.

"It is a bit of banter, we needed the points and I'm still jovial. I got a point, they got a point, so what's wrong with that?

"What's last year got to do with anything? Oh well, I enjoyed my day.

"If Mr Mourinho can run the length of the pitch and shout some instructions into someone's ear, and I can't gesture the score to some Watford fans, then it's a bit silly, isn't it?"

59 thoughts on “Millwall boss laughs off "gesture" made to Watford fans

• April 12, 2014 at 21:52

2 2.... What's their beef...do one.

• April 12, 2014 at 22:00

Sorry this is completely off topic-
    But I only think it's fair that for the last few home games of the season they should lower the prices of tickets to get more support down there to cheer on the players on- Ive been supporting the club as much as I can but there's only so much money I can chuck at the club which Ive been doing for most of this season and many others have so maybe I'm wrong but this may help fill the den and this crucial time!

• April 12, 2014 at 22:50

@conor: yes completely - I said we should have done it for Birmingham - yes cheap tickets for Donny and sell the place out on a bank holiday when families might be committed to other things

• April 13, 2014 at 11:52

@timchimes: don't sell em all cause I need to get my hands on 2. It's prob a good idea, get more through the gate but do the club do well on catering etc?

• April 13, 2014 at 21:13

@conor: ..............
      Well saidCon ! FrankN !

• April 12, 2014 at 22:04

Yeh, play on ! They were a bit tired and emotional! Good on ya ian, I would of lobbed a hand grenade at them . Thanks for a lovely afternoon.

• April 12, 2014 at 22:19

Ollie welcome to our world, no one likes us we don't care! F*** them all, keep doing what you're doing.

• April 12, 2014 at 22:24

Ian..... Just give them the millwall chant......F*** um all, f*** um all....!!!!! lol

Obvs I don't know what they were chanting (new Zealand is a little to far to hear them) but what ever it was they were saying giving them the 2 finger salute at the end of the game is no more than they deserved.

Great result, sounds like we played with the pride of south London......as I said last week that's all the board, the manager and all the fans ask for.

If we go down fighting so be it.....but if we keep putting in performances like that we aren't going anywhere....other teams around us are in poor form and we look like we have turned the corner with sum gutsy performances......

Come on Wall ............... Keep the faith...........

We have some tough games to come........ 6 points will do I think...... lets start with 3 next week

(side not) agree with the pricing comment made. Millwall always played better when there was 15000 at the den....... The place used to erupt... come on board, give back to the fans who have supported you through a tough season.
    Don't forget the club is nothing without the fans.....(no matter where we are in the world)

• April 12, 2014 at 22:35

Man up watford,don't wander around waiting to be offended,take a leaf out of our book 'NO ONE LIKES US WE DON'T CARE'

• April 12, 2014 at 22:46

Do they think that they can come down the den and offend anyone, the dirty middle class mugs can just do one... get bent ya melts. IH well said and f***'m is what I say.....

COYL!!!!!

• April 12, 2014 at 22:51

Good job it was not us, we would have given them a Five Finger Knuckle , the B - W's.

• April 12, 2014 at 23:10

f*** what Watford think about anything - their supporters are a non-entity and their players are diving/play acting cheats - they are going nowhere for years with second rate European players - they can crawl back to dreary town thinking they are hard

• April 13, 2014 at 00:46

Anyone else thinks it's a bit unfair that Doncaster get an extra day's rest for the bank holiday game? It could prove fatal. Then again 3 points against Boro and I couldn't give a monkeys.

• April 13, 2014 at 01:36

Well done Ollie, you screwed up their party and they are crying about it. Two finger salute or score confirmation, they should grow up and take it on the chin.

• April 13, 2014 at 01:38

3uck the fa. For giving us s*** refs ..suck eltons cock you f***** watford scum..w a nkers the lot OF EM

• April 13, 2014 at 02:00

Don't think they ever forgave us for setting fire to their toilets.

• April 13, 2014 at 04:25

IH is right , no one should be singing songs with rude words in em - and I can honestly say that I have never heard our fans use foul or abusive language like we heard from Watford today....... I must say, I was rather offended......... no good C U N T S!!!
    Nice to send them back to sh**ty old Watford with their playoff hopes smashed! Hahahahahahahahaha!!

• April 13, 2014 at 08:39

YES, COME ON MILLWALL TREAT THE HOME FANS AND BRING THE ENTRANCE FEE COMPLETELY DOWN FOR THE LAST TWO HOME MATCHES. ( OBVIOUSLY US SEASON TICKET HOLDER WONT GAIN, BUT WE STILL WANT MORE FANS TO ATTEND! NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. STORMIN' NORMAN..........GIVES A MESSAGE TO ALDO TOPASS ON TO THE BOARD.

• April 13, 2014 at 09:55

How about one adult free with every kid?

• April 13, 2014 at 10:36

How about people stop looking for handouts & get to the den. Yesterday's attendance was Embarrassing.

• April 13, 2014 at 11:27

@block28: numbers might have been embarrassing yesterday - but their commitment was not.

Rather few who fight for it - than many who don't care!

It was loud. It was raucous. The entertainment was great!

We shut stupid Watford up. Brilliant!

COYL - keep it going!

• April 13, 2014 at 11:58

@kitch< you've got a point there. Maybe we are better off with the usuals.

• April 13, 2014 at 12:24

@kitch: Valid points made by all there (Bermlion/Block 28/Kitch) The gate wasn't quite as good as some of us would like it be - considering the importance of the match. But the ones that did turn up were fantastic! Watford have good gates - but anyone who has been to Watford knows that vicarage road is a library on match days and us lions put those mugs to shame!!!
      On the subject of lowering the prices - Both sides has strong arguments ............
      Maybe a small reduction would be a good idea - to say £15 - £20?? To guarantee knocking on for a capacity crowd - without hurting the overall takings too much....?
      But on the other hand - the club still has to make money and if they don't lower it, I wouldn't blame them. If price is an issue to some 'fans' (that probably don't go to most of the games anyway...?) - in a game as significant as Doncaster particularly - in keeping our great club in this league... should they lower it?? Take wembley for example - how many millwall went to those games ... 40k+ _ All willing to pay £35 - £80 a ticket? In many ways the Doncaster match is more important for our club than those matches (barring the play-off final - equally important) and IMO our remaining home games should be sell outs regardless of price... Would be great to re-create the atmosphere of the play-off semi final vs huddersfield... - 12th man? - that was more like our 15th man that night! COYL.

• April 13, 2014 at 13:23

@Luke ColdBlow10: Great post! Agree not all can make every game for valid reasons but wouldn't it be great to have sell outs for the remaining home games. Recreating the play off atmosphere will be a twelfth (and thirteenth) man which would push us over the line. COYL

• April 13, 2014 at 14:06

@Luke ColdBlow10:

2 extra thoughts - do we play any better with bigger crowds and if we do, lowering prices for the last two games will cost us nothing compared to what we lose by going down - just take the 3 relegated teams - say Norwich Sunderland and Cardiff or Fulham - between them that is at least 5000 fans that won't be in the away end next year - 5000 x £25 -£125,000 gone already if we go down -

• April 14, 2014 at 17:16

@timchimes: Fair comment Tim, my initial thoughts on bermlions post were of agreement - it's worth doing if it draws in more supporters. If it were my decision- I would make a small reduction i.e. £15-£20 for the whole ground. This provides an extra hook for fans to come down - while still making money for the club.
          But I also agreed with Block 28s comment. I understand that there's a lot of fans that have valid reasons for not going to games... I'm not the most well off of people myself - so I have to save up during the year to buy my season ticket, which frees up a few quid to go to some away games....
          If Doncaster is some of our fans first time at the den this season - Great - come on down! .... But should the only reason they're coming down be that we're giving em away?? This match should sell itself. A game crucial to our survival on a bank holiday Monday... what more do we want?!
          Also, we all know how bad it will be financially if we go down - as your figures show - and that's only one set of figures.... away attendances OVERALL will be lower (port vale, notts co, tranmere etc.) The figure that worries/annoys me the most is the 1000-2000 'HOME' supporters that won't come to watch league 1 football... do you see my point? A lot of people say they're Millwall.... yeah, when we go to wembley they're millwall..... doncaster at home don't sound as glamorous....! Then again, port vale at home don't sound too appealing either....!
          p.s. I know.... rant f**king rant! Sorry, but this subject grinds my gears a bit!

• April 13, 2014 at 12:16

Replying to not following the team,I was born in Rotherhithe now live in Lancashire can't get to many home matches being a pensioner have supported Millwall since 1958,am committed to the Lions go to all the northern matches,any way good to have some fighting spirit back also good to hear Millwall's best goalkeeper on lions live first time on hope that was OK coyl

• April 13, 2014 at 13:50

F*** em all .. .

• April 13, 2014 at 13:51

I think Watford's away support is better than their home support to be fair.

• April 13, 2014 at 14:55

@harryfabian: any one whol lives in say Australia..the watford shower was taunting olly over remarks he made last year.when watford had 8 loan players ..the rule was that a club can only have 4 english based loanee's ..they found a llophole where they could get 4 foriegn based loanee's...this rule has now changed ..mainly cos olly spoke out

• April 13, 2014 at 21:19

@Jim28: ...........I pointed that out to them on their' Watford Observer' chat but they didn't seem to understand !

• April 13, 2014 at 14:32

Name 5 kings that have bought happiness to people's lives ? A: drinking , licking, f****** , sucking and wanking. And glad ya stood up for ya self IH, f*** those disrespectful t******.

• April 13, 2014 at 15:54

Get those ticket prices down, now! B. W.s

• April 13, 2014 at 16:41

You aint millwall your palace holloways millwall and your all slags your see

• April 13, 2014 at 18:12

Off topic and apologies if it has already been mentioned but I just wanted to say how proud I was at the impecable minutes silence yesterday. Very proud.

• April 13, 2014 at 21:22

@wall2wall: .......Best minutes silence I've ever heard !

• April 13, 2014 at 21:35

@frank:
        Brilliant comment Frank.
        Best ever for me too. Absoloute silence.

• April 13, 2014 at 22:19

@>wall2wall. Hope it's that good when they do it for the victims of the Bradford fire or don't they count. Or the Italians.

• April 13, 2014 at 22:42

@block 28:
        So do I and they do count for me.

• April 13, 2014 at 23:56

@wall2wall: they obviously dont count if your a scouser..have they ever apoliged to juventus fans or said sorry fos getting english clubs banned from europe for 4 years ..dont think so

• April 14, 2014 at 11:49

@block 28: Well said block28! if it's done for Liverpool , what about the Poor Souls who were Trapped in the ' BRADFORD FIRE ' ? .............( Speak up, or forever hold you peace ! ) .

• April 13, 2014 at 21:19

Ollie you should have given them twatford fans the old middle finger!! You know what I mean! COYL!!!

• April 13, 2014 at 21:50

T*ss*rs !!

• April 14, 2014 at 00:27

@frank: friday before the forest match alot of fans were posting we're doomed or we are down..with 3 games coming up 2 away i can see why some would be gloomy..what a week makes 7pts out of 9..and we are playing some decent stuff..what a couple of wins does for the morale of the team ..club & fans..is huge we never gave up nor did the fans.. I'am sure the players will be itching to get at boro...the teams above can feel the breath of a wounded lion dont there necks

• April 14, 2014 at 02:49

Middlesborough seems like a fair road trip Jim, do ya reckon a few will be able to get there? Great feel the last few weeks and good on everyone for havin a crack when the team most needs the encouragement.

• April 14, 2014 at 07:08

@grassgrower: when people mention boro they do think its a very long trip..but it really aint..not by train .by road it can be a bit of a b****...but i'am sure there be 600+

• April 14, 2014 at 07:27

@Jim28: great stuff mate, gd luck if ya goin up there and hope the boys can get a good result.

• April 14, 2014 at 07:47

good morning guys I hope we fill our allocation for the Middlesbrough and give the team great support I will be there but were only 10 miles away for the Middlesbrough been in exile up for 15 years still get to a couple of home matches a season and some away matches once a Millwall supporter always a Millwall supporter.

• April 14, 2014 at 08:23

@millwall1959: like you an exile living in Lancashire,will be there Saturday try to get to all the northern matches,being a Millwall supporter for 56 years once a lion always a lion,be hard as they have won last 4 games if we keep showing the spirit we can do it

• April 14, 2014 at 08:33

@eddiebrewer: dont worry about boro's stats ours is probably better not lost in 4..last 2 away both sorted..i think boro will treat us with respect..if they dont they will lose.

• April 14, 2014 at 08:57

@Jim28: have to agree with you,four good results,confidence up,

• April 14, 2014 at 08:43

nice one Eddie we will be there with my grandson and son my grandsons first Millwall match and he`s over the moon coyl

• April 14, 2014 at 09:00

@carewlion: Hope he enjoys the game and sees a win for his first match,think he will been to Boro four times never seen us lose there got to keep record going coyl

• April 14, 2014 at 11:59

@eddiebrewer: Thats 3 x named supporters that will be at m'boro, can anyone name who else will be up there?

• April 14, 2014 at 19:05

@BUSHWACKER14: we have sold 200 so far come on you wall fans its one chance to back the boys and sing them yo safety coyl

• April 14, 2014 at 10:24

Eddie:I think he will enjoy the atmosphere of the fans and planning to take him to the Den next season in the championship.