Avoiding relegation still a tall order, cautions Millwall boss

©
©

IAN Holloway admits avoiding relegation remains a "tall order" for Millwall but says there is a growing belief in his squad that they can survive.

Back-to-back wins over Nottingham Forest and Wigan have given the Lions a fighting chance of staying up and they go in search of a third straight victory against Watford tomorrow.

Millwall are currently third-from-bottom with 39 points but are now within striking distance of Charlton (41) and Blackpool (42), with five games of the season still to play.

And Holloway hopes the Lions will continue to grow in confidence during the final run in.

He said: "I believe in my team and we're going to need to make things go for us.

"They were bright and breezy in training anyway but the belief in some of them now – in the likes of Nicky Bailey and Lee Martin – has been important. We've missed these players.

"Whatever I do and whatever I say, it's going to be a tough game. With five left, we're feeling better about ourselves but we've got to keep winning and that's going to be a tall order."

Holloway has highlighted Bailey, Martin and Alan Dunne as key performers in recent games.

The Millwall boss added: "Lee looks like he is back at Manchester United and as though the world has been lifted off his shoulders. He's enjoying his football and that's fantastic for us.

"Nicky is a great organiser and we've missed his character – without a shadow of a doubt.

"That's four games he has played for me and we've won three of them. Do I think that with Nicky in my team we've got a better chance of winning? Absolutely.

"Do I  think that we can keep our organisation and structure with him in the team? Yes, I do, and he's been proving that in these last two games.

"We didn't have too many other players like him. He's made a huge difference.

"Alan Dunne stepping in at centre half has made an impact because you can't argue with the fact that players like him care. Our fans have got to know that we care, and they do.

"I'm not saying other players don't, but Bailey and Dunne are strong characters."

Watford, under new boss Bepe Sannino, have failed to hit the heights of last year's march to play-off final – where they were defeated by Holloway's Crystal Palace.

Assessing the threats posed by the Hornets, Holloway said: "With Watford playing a back three, it's a very similar situation that we prepared for against Wigan.

"They have got some good players, but in their books they must have had a disappointing season because they were in the play-offs last year and expected to win them."

10 thoughts on “Avoiding relegation still a tall order, cautions Millwall boss

• April 11, 2014 at 14:09

After much debate, and promising myself I wouldn't go again after the Birmingham game, I've got my ticket for Watford tomorrow. I truly hope they haven't given me a false hope. I guess "come rain or shine all the time our families we'll bring, and as the lions run on the pitch everyone will sing." Is ringing true. Even a win tomorrow is no guarantee of survival and players like Bailey who has hardly featured or performed since his signing, now owe it to us fans to perform and end the season on a high. note. Obviously I really hope we'll survive and there's a chance now. our results have pulled others closer to make it a fight from seven teams now and I hope we stay. It was close last season,to the final day so no doubt it will be tight again. Lets hope for a home performance to remember. A result that will frighten those around us and show them we are Millwall. It's about time some of our lions grew some teeth. Miiiiiiiiiiiii

• April 11, 2014 at 14:19

@southlondon1885: Good on ya' mate! And Ollie the team are confident, so are the Best Fans in the Country ( Millwall Supporters ) . Just tell the players to go at them ( Watford ) right from the start of 90 mins.

• April 11, 2014 at 15:02

@BUSHWACKER14: I think after being priced out of London, it cost me a lot more time and money to follow my Millwall. The last two seasons and the Birmingham game in particular was amongst the worst performances I've seen in 22 years of loyal service. My wife shows more enthusiasm and passion in our weekly Tesco run than the players have. I guess I expect more from them now. It seems that from the last two games that the players have suddenly realised we will go down if they carry on with the attitude they've adopted recently. I really hope tomorrow the players continue in their current form, if they keep it up, they will keep us up. I hope tomorrow I get to see the real Millwall and the players give us a result to remember. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• April 11, 2014 at 14:21

3 points tomorrow is a must after the hard work of winning the two away games, lets get right behind the boys from the off, COYL.......

• April 11, 2014 at 16:49

It is a tall order...that's why I thought he signed the new centre forward!!!

• April 11, 2014 at 16:52

another 'must win' 'cup final. Need to sort the thug Deeney out early on.

• April 11, 2014 at 18:31

@TheDiceman: Yep, he's dangerous...
      I'm thinking a rendition of - 'Deeney - your a c**t' will be in order!

• April 11, 2014 at 17:32

My boy is mascot tomorrow and what a time for it to come!!! Biggest game of the season!!! Come on you Lions!!!

• April 11, 2014 at 20:32

Well done Mr Holloway 2 good results but IMO it's 2 little 2 late still going down I hope you prove me wrong big time