Bailey rushes back from injury to aid Lions' relegation fight

©
©

NICKY Bailey has rushed back from injury to help Millwall beat the drop.

The midfielder had been sidelined by a slipped disc but returned to the starting XI as the Lions claimed vital away wins at Nottingham Forest and Wigan.

And the 29-year-old has admitted the fear of relegation spurred him on during his recovery.

Bailey dropped down to League One with Charlton in 2009 and says he has no intention of reliving that miserable experience.

Speaking after Tuesday's win at the DW Stadium, he told the Southwark News: "Relegation is not a nice feeling and I don't want that feeling again.

"Nobody would have thought we'd win these games so we've proved a lot of people wrong.

"I have been itching to get back and these results have turned our season around at the right time.

"But it is not worth winning these two games if we don't stay up – we have given ourselves a fighting chance and hopefully we can do it."

Bailey injured his back making an innocuous tackle in training – describing the pain as "a very weird feeling."

"I went to close someone down and suddenly I just stopped – I couldn't move," he added.

"I tried to start running again but I had to go in to see the physio

"They thought it was a back spasm at first and it seemed to be getting better, so I stopped taking pain killers. But I could tell it still didn't feel right.

"I had a scan a week later and found out it was a slipped disc. It was very painful but I just couldn't wait to get back. I hate doing rehab in the gym so it was a long eight weeks for me."

And the former Middlesbrough man admits there is a chance he could break down again – but he is happy to put his body on the line for the cause.

"Back problems are a bit of worry for the medical staff but as a player you just want to get back," Bailey said.

"It's been hard for me. When I first told them I was ready to train, they wouldn't let me. It's just good to be playing again.

"I've just got to get through it. There's no time to let it heal – I just wanted to come back and help the team. If something happens again, then that's just the way it is."

Boss Ian Holloway has cited Bailey's experience and leadership as a big factor in his side's last two results.

"When I was younger, it was nice to have the senior players talking to you and now I like to talk on the pitch myself," Bailey added.

"We probably were a bit too quiet before but a lot of new players have come in and we have to find the right blend and formation."

Chairman John Berylson hopes Lions fans will turn out in force for Saturday's home clash with Watford as Holloway's men target a third straight win.

"I have been delighted by the past two performances and I hope we're on a roll now," the American said.

"Our form is going to be crucial so the fans need to get behind the team at The Den.

"We have given ourselves a chance of staying up so let's make sure we take it by beating Watford. We'll need the help of the crowd."

Millwall have three games at The Den remaining – against Watford, Doncaster Rovers and Bournemouth – and Bailey believes they will be crucial.

"We've got more home games than away games left, and if we win our games at The Den that will hopefully be enough to keep us up," he said.

"We've got to do what we haven't done all season which is win four or five in a row, but we'll be giving it our all and hopefully we can keep our run going on Saturday.

"It's been a hard season for the fans and they are entitled to be frustrated when we don't play well and we haven't played well in enough games.

"But we can prove to the fans over the next few weeks that we want to do it for them, and hopefully they'll keep supporting us at home."

44 thoughts on “Bailey rushes back from injury to aid Lions' relegation fight

• April 10, 2014 at 11:39

Well, if he feels okay and he's happy to play then that's fantastic news. Even if we limp over the line and manage to stay up by a single point (obviously not goal difference) then that's even better!

• April 11, 2014 at 10:32

@REAL Supporter:
      WELL COME ON' MILLWALL FANS, LETS GET REALLY BEHIND OUR TEAM, AGAIN,
      LOUD & PROUD LIKE WE CAN DO.....................LIKE WE DID AT " FOREST "..........
      [ WIGAN WAS GOOD AND LOUD, BUT, I THINK, NOT AS NOISY AS FOREST ],
      REMEMBER A " BEAUTIFUL HOME WIN " SATURDAY AFTERNOON WILL SEND THE
      " SHIVERS " AROUND THE COUNTRYS CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS.....................
      JUST AS MOST THOUGHT THEY'D "GOT - RID" OF THE LIONS, WE STORM - BACK.
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN...........................WANTS THAT " SPECIAL MILLWALL SOUND "
      ALL AROUND THE NEW DEN GROUND !!!!!

• April 10, 2014 at 11:43

Bailey looks like he could load the ships at the dock by hand, get back into the rotations mate and give IH sum options to look at. All hands on deck from here on in, this ships about to sail and we all want to be on board.

• April 10, 2014 at 12:06

Well I'll be their on Saturday cheering on the Lions , however if we lose against Watford the last 2 wins would have counted for nothing, but I'm sure it'll will be a great atmosphere what with Watford bringing a few down, and both teams having hit form of late, goals galore springs to mind

• April 10, 2014 at 13:55

@Charliefearnofoe:

that is not the case necessarlily - if we lose to watford there is every chance doncaster and blackpol will lose and we live to fight on

the key is beating doncaster at home - that puts us 1 point behind them (if the game was played hypothetically now ) so we have to get 1 or two points more than them in the other 4 games - they have tough games - will they win any of them? away ipswich home to derby and reading (all 3 going for playoffs) and away to leicester - we won't know until the time comes but we must not think that a loss at wWatford is the end - i think a draw will be fine as long as we beat Donny

• April 10, 2014 at 14:15

@timchimes: agree with what you've said.

To make live easier for ourselves wins against Watford and Doncaster are needed, more so against Doncaster.

Would be nice to finally get a win against one of the teams around us! Failed against Birmingham, Blackpool, Charlton, Barnsley and Yeovil but you know what? I got a feeling it will be 6th time lucky for the Lions.

• April 10, 2014 at 12:14

We do get frustrated when players are out injured especially when the season has gone the way it has. Doesn't sound like Bailey was feigning his.

Glad he's now back and hope he can keep his fitness for the rest of the games and inspire the rest of the team to keep winning.

Going to be close but we can catch Blackpool and/or Doncaster.

• April 10, 2014 at 12:22

WELL DONE , NICKY BAILEY........................THATS THE MILLWALL SPIRIT WE THE FANS WANT TO SEE
    MORE OFF............[ REAL FIGHTERS ].
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN............................HAS HIS TICKETS FOR THE BIG Q.P.R GAME !!!!

• April 10, 2014 at 12:24

@bermlion: QPR just for season ticket holders?

• April 10, 2014 at 13:59

@MFC Lion: all 1296 snapped up in 4 hours by St holders mate, I'm gutted as a member that I can't get one but fair doos to those St holders, they pay for their tickets for the season so can't complain too much (but I am gutted though)

COYL!!!!!!

• April 10, 2014 at 14:16

@<mfc1rob<. Got my ticket but not gloating coz some of my mates didn't get one like you they are members. Millwall should set a side some tickets for members. Your a supporter just like us. Another ambler cock up

• April 10, 2014 at 14:26

@block 28: way it normally works is season ticket holders get first option then after a certain date if any are left members can apply.

That's the way it should be as well. Imagine the scenes if say we got to Wembley again and they went straight on general sale or we had west ham in the cup and it was just whoever turned up first!

I'm biased of course (season ticket holder) but I see it as a reward for
            the extra money I put towards the club.

• April 10, 2014 at 15:11

@>block 28. Agree just gutted for the lads that travelled up to forest & Wigan

• April 10, 2014 at 14:41

@mfc1rob: Put yourself on the waiting list just in case anyone drops out. That's what I did for the Charlton game last season. After a conversation with the ticket office saying that I really had no chance three days later they rang me and asked if I was still interested. I managed to get two for that game. You never know if you don't try.

• April 10, 2014 at 18:04

@REAL Supporter: Yeah worth doing, same thing happened to me a couple of times. Tickets ran out while I was in the queue for Charlton and last years luton game- they rang me back both times. They're pretty helpful down there....
            Queuing for 7 hours round the den for wembley tickets was another matter - I still have nightmares about that!

• April 10, 2014 at 18:41

@REAL Supporter: might go to south Africa road & get 1. 🙂

• April 10, 2014 at 18:22

@MFC Lion: got my QPR ticket but it was a bloody nightmare trying to order online and by ringing the ticket office, its always difficult when there are so few tickets but this is the worst its been this season

• April 10, 2014 at 12:47

@bermlion: what a farce getting the QPR tIckets, on the phone for ages then to be told to call back when I'm 3 places away f*****g liberty
      Anyway got em now happy days looking forward to it but I'm still putting in a complaint been trying all morning on me mobile

• April 10, 2014 at 13:54

Went down early this morning to get my qpr ticket the old fashioned way...alot of millwall there cos of the stupid allocation of 1298 tickets for a london derby

• April 10, 2014 at 14:10

@Jim28: how come such a small amount of tickets Jim? Is there a limit on all away games. Away allocations seem such a pissy amount? If say ya turned up in the qpr end wearin ya racing+ shirt how long would ya be upright do ya reckon? " just asking"

• April 10, 2014 at 13:01

Nicky Bailey soon to be millwall legend I think! COYL!!!

• April 10, 2014 at 14:10

Yep, got our Queens Park Rangers Gold Tickets ( School Upper ) . Shame they only gave Millwall FC 1,297 tickets . Such an important match, Let's hope QPR miss out on Promotion for treating Lions Fans that way.

• April 10, 2014 at 15:28

@Dazi: They should be but Bournemouth as the dark horse. Have come into form at the right time.

• April 10, 2014 at 15:41

@Sealion: Yes, and Lewis Grabban getting the goals, why could't he get on with us?

• April 10, 2014 at 15:43

@hernebaylion: He was probably too soft for Millwall

• April 10, 2014 at 16:13

@hernebaylion: because we played him in a differant way to what bournmouth are playing him,he was always a good player we just did not play in a way that suited him.

• April 10, 2014 at 16:22

Thanks for that Jim, KJ obviously missed that, what a shame.

• April 10, 2014 at 17:31

@hernebaylion: Seems like somethings never change Jim, not playing players in their best position.

• April 10, 2014 at 18:18

@Sealion: the reason why that s*** grabban left was not that we played him out of position....even though i felt at the time he was supposed to be a striker..he didn't like being on bench cos he was playing s***..he never buckled down to change this around...drop him & he crys IMO well rid

• April 10, 2014 at 22:08

@Jim28: jim bournmouth play him in a triangle of players they hit grabbben with the ball he lays it off to 1 of 2 players then goes for the return, we used him as an old fashioned type centre forward,that was KJs style of play long ball stuff,the reason why i was not a fan of KJ,but then no one heard me s*** off KJ whilst he was here,but a lot of the times KJ could not see the wood for the trees,hence players like grabben were not played to their full potential,just think about it we let grabben go but kept marquis,who would you rather have

• April 10, 2014 at 23:34

We played grabban has a winger because of his pace ...on the right his mate martin played on the left..we had gary alexander as the centre forward....when he was good he was good!! But when he was bad he stunk the place out ( not his fault he was still learning )...for the record..he left us cos he couldn't or wouldn't hack it here...

• April 10, 2014 at 17:56

@hernebaylion: different players develop at different ages ,, he just developed too late unfortunately for 'wall

• April 10, 2014 at 17:06

I NEED TWO TICKETS FOR QPR ANYONE WHO HAS ANY SPARE DROP ME A LINE PLEASE.

• April 10, 2014 at 17:11

I like bailey and think he brings a lot to the team when he plays, however I do think he will be one of the first to jump ship if we go down.

• April 10, 2014 at 18:42

Aldo the main story today is the lack of tickets for a london derby. Surely a interview with someone at the club would be a better post than baileys bad back.

• April 10, 2014 at 23:51

The away end will be half enpty cos Ambler wont intervene..but its all right for big games at the den for him to open the lower tier for extra away fans..or perhaps the qpr game is unimportent...AMBLER GET OF YOUR A***

• April 11, 2014 at 00:10

@Jim28: jim mate ambler will always be a c@@t you know that, we always get f@@k all

• April 11, 2014 at 00:22

>foxy where's our man on the board when you want him. We signed your petition. Now step up & demand the board grows a pair & get us more tickets

• April 11, 2014 at 00:32

@block 28: sorry mate just had a fag a out the back what do we do, I've been a member for years give it up last year but still go im p***** of mate with it all.

• April 10, 2014 at 23:57

Exclusive!

Fearless Chaplow rushes back in time to go on holiday at end of season

• April 11, 2014 at 07:30

Not TAMPAX - CHAPLOW.......( don't believe it , 1 x week in 3 x weeks out again ).

• April 11, 2014 at 08:08

Zampa the lion has done more running about this season then chaplow +bailey.we dont even pay him