Millwall manager praises travelling fans after Wigan victory

©
©

IAN Holloway has paid tribute to the 327 Lions fans who travelled from London to see their side's 1-0 victory over Wigan at the DW Stadium.

Millwall supporters who put themselves through a 400-mile round trip to attend Tuesday's game were rewarded with a second successive away win, courtesy of Carlos Edwards' strike.

And Holloway was quick to hail the away following after the game.

He said: "At least it will be a nice journey back for them – Wigan on a Tuesday night does not make any sense.

"I know how proud they are of their team and their club, and quite rightly so.

"I am bursting with pride after tonight and especially for those people who travelled all the way up here. I don't know how they do it.

"I want to make them proud and at the minute I'm smarting because I haven't made the impact I wanted to, but hopefully we will have some days in the sun together."

Assessing his side's performance, and their hopes of staying up, Holloway added: "The first half performance was excellent – it was everything I'd been asking them for.

"We wanted to carry on from what we did at Forest but we knew that was going to be tough.

"Wigan have got a good team and a big squad, and if that's his [Uwe Rosler's] reserves then god knows what his first team is!

"We're trying to hang onto this league by the skin of our teeth and that's as good as we've played in the first 45 minutes. I can't thank my lads enough.

"We thought we had scored a second goal to be honest – Steve Morison's shot looked like it was over the line. I'm really pleased but we still have a mountain to climb.

"We scored a fantastic goal and a great move. We put together a couple of those in the first half and to do that to Wigan makes me very, very pleased.

"We have dug in there, fought hard and fought together. We've got to do that another five times and we'll need the same work ethic.

"Hopefully that result will upset a few people because they will see that we're not dead yet. Who knows what we can do now?

"I said before that we needed four wins and a draw, and I don't think that's changed.

"We now need to reproduce our season's best, which is three in a row, and back up these two results. Hopefully this is the start of our run and we can make a late charge.

"That's seven points from our last nine and we'll keep encouraging these boys to keep that going. We'll need a bit of luck along the way but we're working hard enough for it."

44 thoughts on “Millwall manager praises travelling fans after Wigan victory

• April 9, 2014 at 00:27

I did, and still do have faith in you Mr. Holloway. Despite these two magnificent wins, we must still follow it up with a much needed home win on Saturday.

Keep the faith with dedicated support like today and this just might be possible chaps.

L I O N S

• April 9, 2014 at 00:28

So so so happy and Ollie rightly thanks those who travelled who make us all proud. Let's hope we can keep on winning and keep on getting fortunate - perhaps it's 18 months of overdue luck all coming together at once. Well done but hopefully the lads don't get complacent - we're still 10 points away from safety.

• April 9, 2014 at 00:31

We can't deny that our defensive record has improved massively of late. If we go down we go down fighting at least. Chuffed!!!!

• April 9, 2014 at 00:52

STILL ABOUT ANOTHER 100MINS TRAVEL BACK LEFT, BUT GOOD TO SEE PLAYERS AND MANAGER NOTICE THE FANS SUPPORT. SOME PLAYERS CAME OVER AND GAVE THEIR SHIRTS TO FANS. NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. STORMIN' NORMAN AND CO.

• April 9, 2014 at 01:10

Dunney once again put in a real leader's performance at centre half everyone else fought hard and kept the ball well. Second half we sat back a bit too much for my liking and invited a lot of pressure. Nice gesture from Dunne, Malone, Martin and Forde donating their shirts or gloves to the away crowd.

• April 9, 2014 at 01:59

No amount of respect given on a website such as this can even get close to justifying or at least attempting to thank the guys who traipse up and down the land in fully committed support for our team. Yes Millwall are more your team than my team, More so nowadays as I rarely go to home games. But going here there and everywhere on week nights is impressive and deserves respect.

• April 9, 2014 at 06:15

well done to all the travellers and the team, we can beat the drop but still need to win our home games. big game on sat hopefully a big crowd will turn out. we need at least 3 more wins coz blackpool have a very bad run in, keep the faith and never give up. WUBBLE U.

• April 9, 2014 at 06:39

@TONY BLOCK28:Not often we the travellings get any thanks apart from fellow posters & millwall fans..but to get thanks from the manager is very rare..thanks for the back to back wins...

• April 9, 2014 at 07:50

@Jim28: ya deserve the praise mate but more to be rewarded with good honest performances from the team and club. It's a hard ask travelling and giving ya all when things are s*** but ya see what it means when the players come to where you guys are and embrace you after a game. Last weeks description of the fist pumping by the players towards the away end was sensational reading and it's what makes following this club so f***** special. Three cheers for the travellers, and raise a toast to millwall for a gutsy effort on the road!

• April 9, 2014 at 07:53

@grassgrower: and to you alex for keeping us involved when we can't be there. Fantastic description , really appreciate it.

• April 9, 2014 at 08:07

We got to the Forest game on Saturday but not last nights unfortunately. The difference in the team is easy to pinpoint - its our fans. Saturday was noisy, no pressure, just a great atmosphere. Even when we didn't think we were going to get anything out of it, the banter was lighthearted not abusive - "We're going down like a Malaysian Plane", rather than yelling at the players and getting on their backs.

Compare that to what the lads get at home games and you can see its no coincidence. So this Saturday, we have to get behind the boys. Remember how we did against Blackpool at home? Everyone in the crowd was positive that night and we got the rewards for it. Let's aim for the same atmosphere against Watford and see what happens.

I think we're still going down, too little too late, but lets go down fighting, with us supporting the players in the hope that they will stay with us and fight back from League 1.

COYL

• April 9, 2014 at 09:15

I agree totally ...the players know there free to express themselves..at home some seem scared to put a foot wrong....the den crowd can be the 12th man or of late our own worse enemy..e.g. Last home game the match was barely 5mins old & i could hear some mug slating every mfc player without any real reason...felt like goin up at ht & putting over the side

• April 9, 2014 at 20:24

@crossenoughtogrowl: "the banter was lighthearted not abusive - "We're going down like a Malaysian Plane"". This is lighthearted??

• April 9, 2014 at 20:55

@SE14: Wrong wording to use SE4, it was inoffensive to the players, in the sense that they weren't being called "useless c*nts" etc etc

• April 9, 2014 at 21:24

@crossenoughtogrowl: Thanks for clarifying. I agree that disheartening comments cannot be encouraging for players. I remember watching Ifill get disheartened from it when he started out. You saw his head drop from it. He became a very confident and good player.

• April 10, 2014 at 02:10

@SE14: not for those on the plane.

• April 9, 2014 at 08:10

Great quote

• April 9, 2014 at 08:52

Can't ask any more, I just hope they don't let the pressure get to them on Saturday. Come on lads we are behind you what ever happens just keep this fantastic effort up and together we will do it.

Now Donny and Pool are looking over their shoulders bricking themselves........ "Millwalls gonna get ya"

• April 9, 2014 at 09:42

Well if we are to Climb that Mountain successfully,I think it will be clambering over Blackpool,Brum or Donny and not Charlton.The two games in hand will probably save them IMHO.After the 2 away wins we MUST,I will repeat MUST WIN Saturday at HOME - And not mess up another Home game if we are too survive.

• April 9, 2014 at 10:14

Just got in from walking the puppy dog ,,birds are singing ,, sun is shining ,,,I just can't get the tune rocking all over the world out of my head ,,,,Have I died & gone to Millwall heaven ?????
    Oh happy days ,,,,, C O Y L

• April 9, 2014 at 10:52

Isn't it nice when he picks a team and formation that makes sense. I even understood the logic behind the substitutions last night. Keep it up Ollie.

Oh and a special mention to Dunne, who once again steps back into the team and provides some character. Proper wall.

• April 9, 2014 at 11:50

@roders good game by dunne had a bit of a moment with Edwards. But brought the best out of beevers. Settling into cb well. If we could bring the atmosphere from the away games bk to the den. Iam sure the players would respond & play without fear

• April 9, 2014 at 10:53

At last it looks like the team are performing, so let's get a BIG crowd behind the boys on Saturday and take the sting out of the hornets!!!

• April 9, 2014 at 11:06

I think we could get out of this relegation fight and even tickle them old play o ffs !last bitsajoke by theway) COYL!!!

• April 9, 2014 at 11:50

I hope have i end up with egg on my face if he manages to keep us up.

• April 9, 2014 at 15:47

@shoot ffs: Excuse poor word messup on my post above.............anyway JB has ordered defibrillators to be put around the ground.

• April 9, 2014 at 14:04

As said in a earlier post, Forget about Charlton they have games in hand, Looking at the table Blackpool Doncaster & Birmingham are catchable. But we must back those away wins up with a win against Watford on Saturday, Lets get behind the team as if we were going for promotion, No slagging the players off for every miss-placed pass or shot & we might get a long overdue & much needed home win & most importantly 3pts.

• April 9, 2014 at 14:20

Just got back from Wigan great win boys makes the trip home a lot easier.

• April 9, 2014 at 14:33

@block 28: long trip block, welcome home. Bet the beers tasted sweet.

• April 9, 2014 at 14:55

>grassgrower< on it all night. Stayed up there then on the beer all the way home

• April 9, 2014 at 14:32

It's true, this group led by IH are tryin to develop something, it's a frustrating process and taking a lot longer than anyone wants it to take but every time they take the field they bustin it to get the job done. Some blokes are maybe not up to it but most have something that fits the structure IH wants for the future. It's now a matter of putting the jigsaw together. We get annoyed waiting cause it's painful watching s*** play and falling short in games where it's inches between winning and losing, but the positive support. And encouragement is good. See how they've reacted on the road against the odds with the millwall army by their side! I've had such a great day on the back of that win, now we,ve gotta back up and go again sat. Love the passion in you guys n gals.

• April 9, 2014 at 14:39

On the strength of last night just bought my ticket for the Watford game on Sat, out of respect for those great supporters who made the journey to Wigan. A win against Watford will be the icing on the cake and make the two away wins that more special. Am not going to criticise, moan or take issue whilst the team and manager are giving their best. We have to get behind them now.

• April 9, 2014 at 14:58

@Peckhamlad: we dont think any millwall fan less a supporter cos you didn't make the trip or trips all millwall fans are egual thats why we are so strong..WE ARE MILLWALL JOG ON THE REST

• April 9, 2014 at 15:55

Only hard thing about getting to away games is it cost a fortune Bring back the persil tickets the older lot will no wot I mean.

• April 9, 2014 at 16:43

DECEMBER=DREADFUL...JANUARY=olly JOINS..FEBUARY= F****** AWFUL,MARCH= MARE...APRIL= APPY DAYS..MAY= MIRACLE.

• April 9, 2014 at 16:54

@block 28: I hope you are not telling me B R don't allow us to use them anymore I've saved one for Sunderland next year ,,,, C O Y L onwards ,,,

• April 9, 2014 at 20:29

Why dont millwall take a leaf out of notts forest's book when it comes to home & away fans..above us in the stand behind one of the goals...because there are home fans in the top tier they have secured a wire mess so missiles cant be thrown down onto fans below..surely we can do the same to the north stand...so millwall fans can use all the den....fan on board take note

• April 9, 2014 at 16:45

Changing the subject, I remember the days of Gordon Jago, where we survived relegation on the last day at the old Den. It felt like we won the league, fantastic atmosphere, and I hope we can get the same for the rest of the home games. I am the worlds worse for moaning, but I am gonna keep that in check and support the boys as loud as I can. I feel happier days ahead. COYL

• April 9, 2014 at 17:17

I rember that with jago and the promotion and the game against Swindon and the last against brentford when George Graham was in charge to stay in the old division 3 and when we took 1000 to Hartlepool and made it a hone game and then beat Carlisle last game of the season I booked my Middlesbrough tickets today

• April 9, 2014 at 22:39

@beedoscores - 1978 - it was 6 wins and we were in.

Jago had already gone by then. He was just overwhelmed by the whole thing. We even had 2 senior players guiding the team - Kitch was one. It was Petchey who was the manager when the fightback came.

Terrible season - THAT Panorama documentary, the 6th round FA Cup v Ipswich where there was a total riot, ground closure.

Horrible.

But they did it.

So call on that spirit again!

• April 9, 2014 at 22:46

Oi!

I was in THAT documentary, I went to every game that year. Buck & Ethel, Micky Harris et al.

All hype of course, I'm the one dealing cards on the train. 9 card brag , lost a tenner because of the poxy BBC.

Never had a TV licence since!

• April 10, 2014 at 08:19

Is there a chance to go in unchanged again sat? Did Carlos Edwards pull up ok from his injury scare or was he taken off as a precaution? Lookin foreword to Saturday and gettin more n more excited by the way we starting to play.

• April 10, 2014 at 08:25

@grassgrower: what a fuckwit I am, lookin forward not lookin foreword! Anyway, let's do a number on Watford!