Millwall boss: Dunne and Bailey's leadership is invaluable

©
©

IAN Holloway believes the leadership qualities of Alan Dunne and Nicky Bailey were crucial in Millwall's win over Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

And the Lions boss hopes the experienced pair will be fit to start against Wigan tonight after their returns to the side at the City Ground.

Holloway is keeping a close eye on Bailey's energy levels following his first start in almost two months but seemed confident the midfielder would play.

"The big difference was the communication down the spine of the team," Holloway said.

"Nicky brings that and, if you look at the stats, he has played three games for me and we've won two of them.

"I think he can play two games in a row – I certainly hope he can. He made a huge difference because he's a talker.

"He's a very good player and a really good organiser. He always believes that we can win – it sounds simple but sometimes your team needs that."

Dunne, who was handed the captain's armband after giving a rousing dressing-room speech in the days leading up to the Forest game, impressed at centre back.

"Because he is a right back he is used to having the ball at his feet, and in that game we needed to pass it around a little bit and then switch it," Holloway added.

"His distribution from back there is a massive bonus. I am asking him to play him out of position but he's a fantastic defender and he lives to defend.

"When the chips are down, he is your man. If there was a one on one situation and I needed someone to make a last-ditch tackle, I think Dunney would step up.

"He always punches above his weight. It's really important that you have the right sort of character in your team and he certainly showed it on Saturday.

"We've got to get the mental side of it right and keep going. The determination in our group, led by Dunne and Bailey, really helped."

32 thoughts on “Millwall boss: Dunne and Bailey's leadership is invaluable

• April 8, 2014 at 09:57

Yep, Dunne did play well for a change, so needs to be kept in the Team, Bailey played well, just needs the correct Size Shorts to wear! Keep it up Millwall.

• April 8, 2014 at 10:14

How many managers and replacements has Dunne seen off down the years.

He's a bit like us....No one likes him but he's still here.

• April 8, 2014 at 11:27

@Moody: I agree, he does make mistakes, sure. He also puts in the type of performances more often than not that typify Millwall and the way we want to see our teams play. I would play him ahead of Robbo at the moment and give him a chance to find his feet in that position.

• April 8, 2014 at 13:09

@Moody: Because no-one else wants him. He gets a contract only because he's been here so long. If it were based upon ability, he would have left ages ago.

• April 8, 2014 at 10:15

Well unlike almost everyone on here,iv'e always rated dunne, I have never agreed with the stuff the dunne haters have written. So for me it's great to read what this manager says about him, I for one wish we had a few more Alan dunne's at the club. With the likes of him, andy frampton, tony Craig,I don't believe we would have conceded 70 goals this season. They are not the greatest footballers , but the opposition would know they were coming up against some real mothers that stick to their jobs and don't go missing.

• April 8, 2014 at 10:39

@bordersarebest0170: lets see how many good games he plays before he start to cock up ,IMO he plays one good game then he plays below par for a number of games.

• April 8, 2014 at 11:21

@bordersarebest0170: I certainly agree with you regarding Dunney,and it's nothing to do with being sentimental. Like you say a few more with his attitude in the side I don't think we would be in the position we are. With respect to Dunney, you don't always have to be the most gifted of players.

• April 8, 2014 at 16:09

@alpha_dogg: Craig's virtually been ever-present in the Brentford defence this year - a team that will probably be a division above us next year.

• April 8, 2014 at 10:17

@MOODY: some don't like him, I DO, speak for yourself

• April 8, 2014 at 10:29

@bordersarebest0170:

Did you read it before commenting !

Where does it say "I" don't like him.

It reflects what overs might feel.

• April 8, 2014 at 10:30

@Moody:

"Others"

typing and talking is multi-tasking in my book:-)

• April 8, 2014 at 10:24

both played well gave the others freedom to go forward while they kept it tight in midfield and defence, well done both of them.lets have some more tonight.

• April 8, 2014 at 10:39

@block 28: i wouldn't say they inspired the team..but your right the rest was allowed to express themselves..i have a feeling he will drop em tonight..1 reason he has just praised em..normally the kiss of death

• April 8, 2014 at 10:36

I like bailey meself but I would make him sign a new contract and if he comes back a fat unfit c*** next season he'll have to pay millwall to let him go.

• April 8, 2014 at 10:56

@">alpha_doggjim1222: dunne has time and again seen off players trying to get his number 2 shirt, so he must be doing something right, he does do silly things sometimes but to say he is dragging the club down is a bit over the top, nows not the time for slagging players off we all hav to get behind the team if we stand any chance of not going down.

• April 8, 2014 at 11:13

@<alpha_dogg<: they can see his faults maybe switching him to c b might be the answer its worked in the past with the likes of Lawrence, and stevens

• April 8, 2014 at 12:01

@alpha_dogg: and time after time they don't find someone who is better than him so either they keep finding terrible players or Dunne isn't as bad as some try to make out.

• April 8, 2014 at 12:02

@alpha_dogg: dunny's origenal position was centre midfield ..any player who plays there has a brain...if asked by boss's to play at RB or CB he has allways obliged without any tantrums...

• April 8, 2014 at 11:13

Give Dunne time to get used to the position, he has the ability to be a very good ball-playing centre-half. I would stick with him and let claim the position this season and maybe into next.

• April 8, 2014 at 18:09

@glyngo:
      I agree , playing at centreback could prolong his Millwall career by at least 2 years I reckon

• April 8, 2014 at 11:58

You all know Alan dunne better than I do but I really admire someone who stays loyal to his club, seems like he,s probably been around the club since he could 1st walk and would've experienced s*** loads of stuff over the years, good bad or indifferent . Whatever happens I wish the bloke a really good finish to the season and hope he can play a vital roll in keeping us up if possible.

• April 8, 2014 at 15:33

@grassgrower: Its that no one has wanted to sign him, where is the ball playing coming from, he panics when someone passes to him, then he hoffs it down the wing or into touch.

• April 8, 2014 at 13:01

I too wish Dunne all the best, because I am a Millwall fan, but I have also been to so many games this year where he has been diabolical. I reckon he played on Saturday becasue he was one of the 'not going to play' team that won 6-0, and Robbo was dire in training. Are we all forgetting the games he got sent off which maybe cost us the points? If IH reckons lumping the ball up to Hoff is great distribution then I give up. Dunne is no more than average, and probably below average, he is two bob on the ball, especially at RB, is not the quickest and has been my pet hate for many years, but heyho, good luck and heres to 3pts.

• April 8, 2014 at 13:18

@beedoscores:

agree. He's the proverbial ships cat. Like someone else above said - how many managers has he seen off? He must know where all the bodies are buried...

• April 8, 2014 at 13:36

@tomahawk: and he drives the bus apparently!

• April 8, 2014 at 18:54

@Adsy77777: If he was the driver the team wouldn't make it to any games!

• April 8, 2014 at 18:52

@beedoscores: Thank you. The fact that he ain't in centre mid any more just further proves he has no footballing brain.

• April 8, 2014 at 17:13

Dunney is a proper Millwall player in my opinion. Clearly not naturally gifted , but 110% week in week out.
    You don't realise what he brings to the table until he doesn't play for a while.

• April 8, 2014 at 19:48

@Block 8: Fair comment. I've always seen Dunne as our bulldog. OK, he's not ultra talented, but strikers know they can't bully him and they know they will probably be feeling sore after 90mins against him! Also, I think we've looked more solid defensively with Dunne in the back four rather than Frederiks. No disrespect to the lad, he's quick and skillful going forward but his inexperience in defense has cost us a few times. Don't blame Frederiks either, just think it's a case of horses for courses at the moment- and with players like Robbo and shittu not in the squad (different reasons...) IH has to make us harder to beat at the back - and Dunne has stepped up to the plate.