Martin relieved to end goal drought as Millwall edge Forest

©
©

LEE Martin lifted a big weight off his shoulders by scoring his first goal in over two years against Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

Martin's superb solo effort capped a fine individual performance in the Lions' 2-1 win at the City Ground, a result which gave their survival hopes a timely boost.

The winger had been waiting since February 2012 to register on the scoresheet – and hopes the goals will start to flow now that he has ended his barren spell.

He said: "It was great to score because it has been a long, long time coming and I've missed a couple of big chances since Ollie took over.

"It's down to confidence really. Last season, I had the most shots on target of any player at Ipswich but I just couldn't score.

"When I was at Charlton, Phil Parkinson said to me that you'll score a goal every five efforts on target – so either that's a load of rubbish or I was having a really bad spell!

"I am relieved to have come through that and got the goal, but the main thing was the three points. We worked so hard for the win."

Martin cut in from the left flank and arced an inch-perfect curler into the far corner before sprinting the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Lions fans – and his parents.

"I ran to see my mum and dad because originally they weren't going to come to the game," he explained.

"The manager said he'd be changing the team so I told them I wasn't sure if I was playing or not, but they drove up on the off chance so it was the least I could do!"

Martin added: "I really enjoyed the game – I felt confident from the start.

"I was feeling ill on Saturday morning so it was a bit of an up and down day for me, but I'm obviously delighted with the goal."

Boss Ian Holloway praised his side's composure after their victory and Martin agreed that cool heads are needed in the heat of Millwall's relegation battle.

"We just need to relax and play our natural game – it's only a game of football," he said.

"I know sometimes you get caught up in the doom and gloom of it all, but if we play like that in our final six games then we've got a chance of staying up.

"But this cannot be a flash in the pan like the win at Derby was, we have got a tough game coming up at Wigan and as delighted as we are now, we have to go again on Tuesday."

25 thoughts on “Martin relieved to end goal drought as Millwall edge Forest

• April 7, 2014 at 08:46

First of i wish to say sorry to martin cos where i was standing it looked like malone...excellent strike from a player who had a great game...well done hope we can see more

• April 7, 2014 at 08:53

This guy has had so many chances that he has missed, if he can start converting them to goals, he can expect minimum 10 goals per season. Really glad for you Lee, now work on getting 4-5 more before the end of the season.

• April 7, 2014 at 08:54

WELL DONE MR MARTIN !.........................YES IT WAS A GREAT GOAL, AND WE REALLY ENJOYED
    WATCHING IT GO IN.
    LIKE JIM ABOVE, WE HAD A REALLY GOOD TIME, SO A REPEAT PERFORMANCE AT WIGAN , A TOMORROW [ TUES ]. ...................
    WE WILL BE THERE TO WATCH EVERY MOVE.
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN

• April 7, 2014 at 09:24

@bermlion: That's the way Storming' .......like Jim28 we saw your ' 'no one likes us' Flag at Nottinham Forest. Wigan here comes the ' Wall-Fans'.

• April 7, 2014 at 09:00

Hopefully the weekends game wii restore some confidence in the team and it sounded like they not only put some good passages of play together but stood their ground when the onslaught came, they starting to become familiar with each other a bit more now and maybe all is not lost. It's only one win but it's a good step in the right direction. Good for you lee, work hard and do the important team things.

• April 7, 2014 at 09:32

@grassgrower: how many Wigan fans does it take to change a lightbulb? A: both of them!

• April 7, 2014 at 09:37

@grassgrower: any team who likes to play open football we will allways have a chance of beating...ipswich derby forest all play the right way...& we know wot the outcome was..wigan have a big game on the weekend against arsenal ..possible they will have a weakened team...ido this at your peril

• April 7, 2014 at 10:23

@Jim28: point taken mate, bit of an aussie thing to take the p*** . No offence intended.

• April 7, 2014 at 12:37

@grassgrower: none taken ..who told you they had 2 fans sport

• April 7, 2014 at 09:28

1 Goal in 2 years is about on par for a Millwall player.

• April 7, 2014 at 10:46

Brilliant goal. There no reason do hav a lack of confidence from now on keep on shooting like that & u could be our top scorer by the end of the season

• April 7, 2014 at 11:23

We need a result against Watford, Boro' and Bournemouth they need to be the games we get 3 points as unless we have an amazing game tomorrow I can't see us winning that one

• April 7, 2014 at 11:46

@CrawleyLion: I don't know stranger things have happened, who'd of thought Yeovil would have beat Blackpool away? I would settle for a point, Wigan will have one eye on their Arsenal game. Fingers and everything else crossed!!

• April 7, 2014 at 11:56

@Peckhamlad: I am trying to have faith but even if we do pick up a point or two tomorrow the worrying thing is no one else around us seems to be falling away... Exciting for the neutral... Nightmare for us

• April 7, 2014 at 12:22

@CrawleyLion: we showed at derby & forest we dont get imtimiated by there elevated positions..saying this i cant see any reason why we cant get a result..& lion i'am with you i dont think you can get 2pts either

• April 7, 2014 at 12:38

@Jim28: ; ) my bad... We'll call it a figure of speech...

• April 7, 2014 at 17:23

@Peckhamlad: Yeah, with their match against arsenal coming up - I think we could have the edge in this game if we go all out on the 50/50 challenges. All of their players will want to have a run out at wembley, so I think we'd do well to sh*t em up a bit and make em back out of those challenges.... this could make all the difference... COYL. GET STUCK IN!!

• April 7, 2014 at 14:42

I think we can go to Wigan & get a result. The crowd up there won't be anywhere as vocal as forest. When I say vocal I mean I've never heard people whinge & cry as much as forest fans. They should be top of the top of the cry baby league.

• April 7, 2014 at 15:17

Great effort from Martin and a superb result from the boys. We now need to use this result as a platform to have a run to give us a chance to stay up. After wins against Ipswich and Derby recently we have failed to do this. Hopefully this will change, after all we have nothing to lose in our position but to just go for it.

• April 7, 2014 at 19:00

Have we ever beat wigan ? If so when?
    law of averages
    COYL

• April 8, 2014 at 08:39

@munchy: errr let me think ...... This season you plum.

• April 7, 2014 at 19:18

There is always a turning point in the season when you start a winning or losing streak and the Nottingham Forest result is I believe the result that will be seen as the start of a magnificent recovery ending in us keeping our Championship status.
    A message for IH to relay to the squad....

All it takes from now to the end of the season is for the players to play with a sense of freedom and with positivity and we will be safe.
    Forget the games that have gone, we cannot do anything about past results, but we can do something about our future results....

so COYL and show the world what a great club we are, and put the fear of god into the teams that are playing against us

• April 8, 2014 at 02:00

@eio:
      F*** the rest of the world, they can start by showing the fans something decent 1st. We are the only ones who lose any sleep over the rubbish we see week in week out.

• April 8, 2014 at 08:42

They really do have nothing to lose, no excuses. Just get stuck in and play. We where crap before and after Wembley last season. They are not playing brilliantly at the moment and are there for the taking, so after this season I can confidently say we will probably lose.

Go on give a go , show a bit of professional pride. I think we deserve it.