Millwall boss eyes defensive improvements against Rovers

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

IAN Holloway says Millwall have to improve their defensive organisation ahead of Blackburn Rovers' visit to The Den on Saturday.

The Lions conceded three goals in their midweek defeat to the Birmingham, with the visitors scoring each time they registered a shot on target.

Holloway was particularly unhappy with Jordan Ibe's opener, which came after two failed opportunities to clear the ball away from danger.

He said: "I can see four things wrong with that goal – and in training we aren't getting those wrong, even a couple of weeks ago that wasn't happening. It's just where we are right now.

"I was pleased with the way we kept going but we have got to organise ourselves a damn sight better when we're out there.

"I expect people to be able to do their jobs, which means us organising ourselves from a set play – they've scored from a throw in.

"Ibe won't have an easier shot in his life because we didn't have a body in the right place.

"As a team, we've got to stop letting them in. To win that game, we had to score four goals and that can't be right, can it? We've got to stop all that.

"Let's see what we can do on Saturday – if ever there was a time to win, it's now."

Asked whether there is sufficient character in Millwall's squad to beat the drop, Holloway added: "We'll see, won't we?

"That's when you find out about yourselves. I've seen times like this when I haven't managed to do it, but I think we will – that's the gospel truth.

"I know people, I know them well and I think they are trying as hard as they can, so I can't ask for any more than that.

"The players really are disappointed but I have to say that the overall collective spirit of the group is much better than it was when I first walked through the door.

"When I came in, we were conceding more goals than anybody else and we'd scored less than anybody else so it was going to be a tough ask.

"Steve Morison had four chances against Bimringham and scored one, which is as good as it gets – ask Robin van Persie."

42 thoughts on “Millwall boss eyes defensive improvements against Rovers

• March 28, 2014 at 13:01

I hate Saturdays now.

• March 28, 2014 at 13:12

About 10,000 regulars have been eyeing defensive improvements all season. Amazes me how Forde gets away scot free. Any keep who lets in 72 at this point of the season should have a serious word to himself. The first goal on Tuesday may have come from errors but the geezer shot tamely from outside the area across Forde , Forde as per usuall went down in stages and let the ball roll past him likes he has done dozens of times over the last three years. Good shot stopper. Yes maybe the best in the league, but slow to get down, poor distribution, poor kicking, for me he can go if he likes I can't see a queu forming.

• March 28, 2014 at 16:18

@Lincolnshire Lion: very good point,it wasn't that long ago we had to draught in a 40 year old maik taylor to save us from his ineptitude.

• March 28, 2014 at 18:55

@Lincolnshire Lion: at last someone else who can see that Forde is a liability and can go up to the Micky mouse league as soon as he likes !

• March 28, 2014 at 19:20

@Lincolnshire Lion: He's made some brilliant saves and let some soft ones in but playing behind the defence(s) we've had isn't easy for any 'keeper. Personally I think we are lucky to have him but I can certainly see his faults. Interestingly he has been a star player for the Republic of Ireland during this time with some MoM performances against big teams. He only lost out to Robbie Keane for Irish International Player of the Year, albeit Ireland are sh*te.

• March 28, 2014 at 20:17

@lion.ie: he's only gonna get worse and I reckon it's time to let him go rather than pay him some stupid money to play in div 1 .

• March 28, 2014 at 21:38

@southstandview: surely we must have a back up keeper that deserves a chance (other than bywater). maybe a it's time for someone new

• March 28, 2014 at 22:00

@lion.ie: Got to agree with you on this one lion.ie- Yes, we have a terrible record for letting in goals this season, but Forde has vastly improved since Pressman came in as coach. A couple of seasons ago, I would've agreed with Lincolnshire/Norris- he was frightening to watch!
        But this season especially- he has improved on his shot stopping and more importantly his decision making (barring Leeds 2nd goal - terrible, but rare).
        Admittedly the last 2 games have not been his best- but there's been loads of games this season where I've walked out of the den saying - 'well, bad result - but it could've been a hell of a lot worse if Forde wasn't in goal..... 1 or 2-0, could've been 5 or 6-0...'
        The other issue is - what other keepers are out there - who are as good as Forde and want to play for us?? Better the devil you know IMO (for a couple more seasons at least) - and certainly prefer Forde to Bywater.....

• March 28, 2014 at 13:13

Should be interesting to see how he achieves this. Maybe 6-2-2 formation. Come on, It really is time that we had a game to cheer about. Its not too much to ask, is it??

• March 28, 2014 at 13:14

We could remove the net from the goal I suppose...

• March 28, 2014 at 13:15

S*d the defending - HOW ABOUT THE ATTACKING/SCORING GOALS ?

• March 28, 2014 at 13:19

I'm eyeing a managerial improvement myself!

• March 28, 2014 at 13:34

@Adsy77777: Happy with Holloway!!

Holloway is the best we can hope for at the moment whether we stay up or go down.... unless you want Dean Holdsworth or someone of that ilk at the club?

At least Holloway is a positive guy, who likes working with youngsters and we have actually been playing decent football, but the results just aren't coming! Even though we look destined for League 1, I'd take how we are playing and the players we have now over last season.... or would you prefer tampon Tyson and now retired as he couldn't find a club Hulse?

• March 28, 2014 at 13:43

@Bradders: He has won 2 games out of how many (and how many did he win at palarse before?). If Lomas shared his record fans would have wanted him hung, drawn and quartered. His tactics are bizarre, his selections inconsistent, his signings, on the whole uninspiring and the results since he came here are awful. But I'm genuinely glad you're happy with him.

• March 28, 2014 at 14:11

@Adsy77777: Haha you are one of those that clearly don't go and watch games, haven't got a clue about coaching or common sense yet post crap on here week in week out....

Let me make it clear I wasn't for or against Lomas or Holloway, but as a team we are in such a better place... if you can't see that, well my friend you are completely blinded!!

Here we have a manager who tries different things, a Plan B or even a Plan C.... shocker if it doesn't work but hey at least he is giving it a go... better than what Lomas and Jackett (in his final season) could muster up!! When we went a goal down, we just kept trying to plug away and end up losing by more or just the 1-0.... now Holloway is trying to get us back into games!!

We have a guy who likes to bring youngsters through and play them when he has a chance and that is exactly what we need to bring Millwall back to where we was when we had the likes of Cahill, Ifil, Reid, Lucas Neil et el.... Remember Holloway wasn't here in the summer so hasn't had a real chance to get rid of the old has-beens and put his stamp on the team!!

You cannot tell me that this team has not needed a major overhaul since Jackett left.... after all that was exactly why he left!!!

• March 28, 2014 at 14:49

@Bradders: I go to every home game Bradders and I also have my coaching badges, as for common sense well some would agree with you. I have my opinions even if you think they are crap, just as you are entitled to yours, even if I think they are crap. I happen to disagree that we are in a better place under Holloway. As for trying out the youngsters; he tries out anything!!!! That's the problem, there is no consistency in his selections or tactics. In my opinion we are a shambles at the moment and as someone who goes every week I'm entitled to say it. Grow up.

• March 28, 2014 at 15:16

@Bradders: yeh bottom of the league, much better place.

• March 28, 2014 at 16:07

@Bradders: Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I'm finding it harder to understand how anyone thinks we're in a better place under Holloway. I'll give you one thing - in over 40 years of watching Millwall he's certainly the most unpredictable manager we've ever had. But for me he's been left wanting in everything I'd measure success by - results, team spirit and application. Pretty football would be the icing on the cake, but I've seen precious little of that either.

• March 28, 2014 at 17:46

@Bradders:

sorry to burst your bubble bradders ....but what on earth are you talking about....read your post slowly again and move your lips while you are reading it. I have been going home and away for thirty five years...if holloways team is not the most hapless I have seen it comes very close. I am baffled by where you have seen this better football over recent times. I have seen a disjointed bunch of individuals who seem to have no cohesion, no sense of purpose and no plan A, let alone B and C, I ask like I did the other day where is the cultured carrying of the ball out od defence, the mazy dribbles, a winger getting round the back, a clever one two. It pains me to say it but I have seen a collection of 11 hapless individuals, chickens with their heads off....you may think you sound clever and know what you are talking about....you actually sound like an idiot

• March 29, 2014 at 03:05

@Bradders: all for having A.plan B.plan. & a C. Plan but does he have to play al 3 in one game..the players come over for drinks so he can explain wot he wants

• March 29, 2014 at 12:12

@Bradders: Wjat are you talking about? We're bottom of the league. By your standards if Holloway continues to spout his nonsense and we sort of look a little more professional we will be in a much better place if we dropped out of the football league. Results, results, results. That's all the counts. Holloway has a pedigree of leaving a lot of his teams in a dire position. We got a little dazzled by a so-called big name arriving (possibly it induced blindness in you) but the evidence is there as it was at his end of days at Palace: near panic, bizarre selections, wrong signings. All this will not chnage when we are in a lower division. The financial hit we are going to take will be dire. Highway for Holloway.

• March 29, 2014 at 12:26

@Bradders:

stop pressing the like button for your own posts

• March 28, 2014 at 14:01

@Bradders: Well Sam Allardyce might be looking for a job soon as an old Millwall centre half he might just be the man for the job, he certainly cannot be any worse.

• March 28, 2014 at 14:12

@Peckhamlad: Hoof football.... no thanks!! I can go watch the local Sunday league veterans team do that!

• March 28, 2014 at 19:45

@Bradders: Ah! Bradders..what a strange person you are.One thing for sure you have a massive chip on your shoulder.Seems you jump on this site to vent your problem / s. I have seen some of your comments to various people on here and getting into a slanging match with Aldo. You are a prat pal.

• March 28, 2014 at 13:22

well its good to see he has spotted part of the problem..now lets see if he can see the other problems before the end of the season

• March 28, 2014 at 16:25

@peter2545: 2nd to last game Holloway press conference 'it's clear to me that a lack of goals is our problem but don't worry I've been on the blower to Delia and got myself a cracking new recipe so I still think we will stay up despite it being mathematically impossible after my 1-2-7 formation at home to Doncaster failed to work. Oh by the way Robbo says he was pleased we only let in the 2 goals after Borough scored 4 so all in all things are looking rosey.

• March 28, 2014 at 13:37

Ollie you really dont do yourself any favours by going into print and stating the bloody obvious as I would think that every paying fan who goes to the Den can se and are regually telling you on NAD, Just put a team out who at least look like they still want to know after 20 mins.

• March 28, 2014 at 14:03

I could show Ollie 3 goals conceded from our first two games this season and it was replicated in 80% of goals throughout the remainder, what are they going to learn between Tuesday night and Saturday that failed to register in the previous !
    Either Ollie and his predecessor are thick or the players are extremely thick or maybe there's been a combined stupidity all round, what can he teach them that failed to register previously.
    I think Ollie is from the cast of Monty Python "Now for Something completely Different"

• March 28, 2014 at 14:55

Their first goal was conceded through poor defending and also poor goalkeeping,ford should have palmed that shot away,it was in his reach, the second goal conceded cos Robbo missed the cross that went over his head and LOWREY was doing a shittu and falling on the floor instead of heading it,leaving their bloke a free header unaposed. Are we going to get some decent young centre backs,cos there's a major problem right there, or will we continue to throw another midfielder at the problems.

• March 28, 2014 at 15:01

The players we have today are what we can afford but have long passed their best and that’s why they were available.You cannot demand or expect any more from them because they simply don’t have it anymore. That’s why we are bottom of the league, it’s not so much confidence or necessarily poor tactics or bad managers.
    Ollie was brought in as a cheap fix on these old boys to squeeze more out of them. Looks to the directors, KJ did and he said Bye-Bye.

• March 28, 2014 at 15:25

@AireLys: Hardly a cheap fix. Quite an expensive one with the money he's on. Mind you, he's saved us a fortune in win bonuses.

• March 28, 2014 at 16:27

@Adsy77777: or JB could have saved all his cash left the manager to play the youth team and couldn't have ended up with us any lower in the table!

Hindsight hey 🙂

• March 28, 2014 at 15:06

Does it mean that the attack is now sorted out? I mean 14 games since IH took charge and 8 goals scored is almost 0.5 goals/game. Or he is already resigned that we won't score and hoping for a 'must-not-lose' 0-0.

• March 28, 2014 at 16:54

I'm tired of all this talk now, actions need to be seen on the pitch, yes under IH we are not letting in 4 or 5 goals but we also aint scoring enough, stop with all excuses there is enough time on the pitch to sort this mess out. Do i personally think we will stay up? no but i wont be making excuses if we go down its because we have had too many players there who are there for the moneyand nothing else. Next year will be the first year i have not had a season ticket in 6 years because i have a little boy on the way so need to save a bit of money, but then hopefully we will be in a better situation when i next get my season ticket and maybe some players who are proud to wear the badge

• March 28, 2014 at 17:05

Wonder if DJ has got the rest of the squad into match fixing? Just a thought when you see the goals we concede.

• March 28, 2014 at 17:21

You have to wonder at the complicated euro techno tactics teams use to score against us,

1) player runs down wing crosses ball easy header goal..... How many times

2) player is allowed an easy shot from outside the area...how many times

3) player puts corner into our area they get an easy header....how many times

Finally 4 ) player is allowed to run from his own half into our area unchallenged and scores.....this is the one that really p's me off

Nothing special nothing clever just our players are unable to defend against these super human tactics

• March 28, 2014 at 20:03

@Lincolnshire Lion: you forgot player gets a throw in, takes it quickly, ball in back of our net...

• March 29, 2014 at 00:34

@Lincolnshire Lion: you forgot, winger runs down the wing cuts inside are player touches his hair and there you go a free kick to them. We always get s*** refs

• March 29, 2014 at 10:52

Defensive mistakes yes... But since Lomas we have been a hell of a lot better defensively. It's our strikers that need to get on with something... I temember watching us against rovers last season in the FA Cup and in both games we made them look very poor let's hope for the same again!

• March 29, 2014 at 12:16

@CrawleyLion: That's a bit like general saying, we're losing the war but they are not killing so many of us as they were. We're bottom of the league and are certainly going down. We thought we were going to get a Pulis come in and turn the season around. Instead we got Lomas Mark 2

• March 29, 2014 at 10:53

Defensive Problems, is that all we've got then!!!!!!! So your playing for a 0-0 then Ian