Holloway: Millwall will fight to the end in relegation battle

©
©

MILLWALL will not give up their place in the Championship without a fight.

That was the message of manager Ian Holloway after Tuesday's 3-2 defeat to Birmingham left the Lions bottom of the table.

With eight games of the season still to play, Holloway says his side need 15 more points to survive – and he is confident they can get them.

And Holloway insists he will not give up hope until it is mathematically impossible for Millwall to stay in the second tier.

He said: "While there is every ounce of fight and spirit in the players, I believe we can do it.

"Everybody will write us off now but not me and not us. I'm sick and fed up of talking, it's all about actions now.

"There are enough games left – 24 points to play for and I think we can drop nine of them and still stay up.

"From now on, it would be nice if we got a few wins now otherwise everybody will probably give up. But the more that the pressure goes off of us, the more relaxed we can be.

"Losing to Birmingham was about as bad a result as I have had in my career but I still feel positive.

"The truth is, after what I said in the dressing room, I think the players will feel the same."

Holloway also reiterated that he will remain at the club even if the Lions are relegated to League One.

He said: "I want to be here longer than Kenny Jackett was, but I want to win, I want to help this group and it's really hurting me.

"I want to set this club up right, long term, because I believe in the people here and I believe in myself. I believe in us.

"On Tuesday, you saw 'us' – that group is starting to feel like 'us'. When I first came in it was 'me' or 'I'.

"Now they are hurting together and that's the difference, and I believe that will be enough.

"I'm gutted for everyone and myself, and I'm totally determined to get this right.

"If you look at my history, I went down with QPR and I stayed because I wanted to put that right, and three years later we went back up.

"I don't quit on things. People might think I did at Crystal Palace, but I can tell you I didn't.

"I will look at my part in this situation, look at what I've done, what I've changed and who I'm picking.

"The fans were brilliant on Tuesday and I'm sorry for the plight we're in, but we've still got life in us and we're still going to fight.

"Our crowd kept us going, going and going, and we're going to need that again when we play Blackburn on Saturday because this is going to have to be one hell of a turnaround.

"But I believe we can do it and that's what I've said to the players – they are the ones giving me that belief."

88 thoughts on “Holloway: Millwall will fight to the end in relegation battle

• March 27, 2014 at 08:07

Words. Sick of Bloody words. Try Actions

• March 27, 2014 at 08:44

@rikkiatwall: Yeah your right Rikki, also the sooner he holds his hands up and looks at the reality of our situation, he can start to plan for the next season, cos we anit getting out of this S***. Not with the talent that have been brought in by the last 2 managers, none of them could get into theere parent clubs team.Then even worse 3 of them did not even have a club so what does that say about them.

• March 27, 2014 at 14:20

@rikkiatwall: What do you want him to do? If he said nothing you'd say why's he gone quiet. Why are you reading the article if you don't wany him to say any words? Of course action is required, but before you can have action you need words. You don't just end up on holiday, you need to plan It first. And a championship season with games thick and fast against different opposition, and loads of injuries, means lots of planning, lots of motivation, and lots of words.
      Ive been looking at this website and forum for about two months now. I like reading what Holloway has to say. His words. I like his words. Always positive. That's the only way a miracle can happen if you talk it up first. You don't just end up on holiday.
      It seems to me that whilst there are are plenty of supporters on this site who are positive too (the positive postings seem to get most likes) the loudest and most frequent posters are doom merchants. Put downers. Criticisers. That's fair enough, its everyone's perogative. I've stood next to you ever since I started watching Millwall on the halfway line at the old Den. Its not my way, and its not what I believe gets the best out of individuals and the team.
      So I feel similar reading this website as I do when I'm at the Den. Supporting my team with encouragement and getting at the ref and opposition, whilst listening to you next to me slating Dunney, Robbo, Morrison, the manager, whoever the bad flavour of the month is.........
      Careful what you wish for I say. If I got moaned at constantly i'd be off. We could end up with a dodgy chairman and manager. Or would people rather we got a super rich chairman with his own agenda, and we become a Chelsea or QPR. Plastic club, plastic fans, heart of the club rippd out because none of the real supporters can afford it nor relate to it anymore. We are jellied eels and glass of beer, not canapes and pinot grigo. With that you get yoyo-ing between the championship and league 1. That's Millwall. And I guess me wanting my Millwall spirit to remain means we get the moaners too! I will continue to support and encourage - COME ON YOU LIONS! and that includes you Mr Holloway. And thank you for all your words.

• March 27, 2014 at 15:38

@mfcdan: BUT YOU CAN'THAVE IT ALL WAYS DAN - IF YOU ACCEPT PLAYERS LIKE DUNNE THEN YOU CONDEMN US TO WATCHING RUBBISH FOREVER - IF THE MANGER CAN'T GET IT RIGHT AND REMOVE PLAYERS WHO ARE A LIABILITY THEN PERHAPS THE CROWD SHOULD - WE HAVE WON 7 HOMES MATCHEDS SINCE THE STAER OF 2013 - YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIND COMFORT IN THAT - I CAN'T

• March 27, 2014 at 16:51

@mfcdan: Mate I agree with your comments, I prefer reading positive comment but am not necessarily convinced that IH actually believes what he is saying... Nethertheless the negativity has plagued us all season, on the opening day against Yeovil our fans were jeering and throwing f**** into the players before half time and am convinced that negativity creates a bad atmosphere that puts nervous pressure on our players and works in the favour of the opposition... And regardless of the "identity" our club and fans affiliate towards berating your own players before the season has even started is something we should get rid of?!!

For me the board are to blame for mess we are in, not IH. We signed an unproven weak manager and made s*** risk signing on over the hill players in the summer rather than investing in players with potential and hunger. For me Waghorn was the most positive signing Lomas made and rather than keep him we sent him back and kept Feeney instead..... As a whole I like the players IH has signed Williams&Upson have potential and think its unrealistic to criticising him for trying his luck on players like Jackson/Campbell/The Hof as his hand was forced due to the p*** poor , lazy squad he inherited...

I'm convinced we are league one next tsar but just think IH can not held accountable and will judge him on how we are doing come the end of the year!!!

• March 27, 2014 at 08:13

Just get the best group on the ground, in the positions where they're most likely to be effective and get the job done, ya right that there's no talk left, there's been some good stuff recently but on occasions bad decisions and a dose of bad luck have left us stranded. It'l be a lot better to rebuild from the championship rather than league 1 . Every ounce of guts and determination needs to be exhausted by this group now. Someone stand up and make a name for yourself. Don't talk, just do it!

• March 27, 2014 at 08:16

If Barnsley can win at Reading, Charlton at Forest and Yeovil can get a point at Leicester then with all due respect, we're going to need more than 15 points.
    I'm resigned to going down now. I've heard these 'cup final' 'fire and brimstone' rants and now we're down to keeping the players behind locked doors for an hour to give them a 'pep talk'.
    Whether Ollie can get us back up next year remains to be seen. He did inherit a shower of s*** but then his signings haven't exactly set the division on fire.

• March 27, 2014 at 08:24

@NICKOLA: totally agree mate , I was totally behind his appointment and can't believe how bad he has turned out to be , god knows what formation we'll play this week , I'm not sure even he has a clue !

• March 27, 2014 at 10:08

@NICKOLA: Nik I can see why he thinks he can get 15 points from 8 games when we only have 32 points from the last 38 games, I agree but it pains me to say we will go down, and I am not that confident about coming staight back up either, but hopefully we can at least whatch more winning games next term than we did this season.

I also think that if he and we accept this that he could try to play a side which would be availible to him for next season I.E. give a few of the young ones some league expeirience for the next campaign.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:26

@barnlion

I agree, I have resigned myself to be watching league 1 next year, but watch it I will, send all the loan signings back early and start thinking about next years team, give some youngsters a taste of championship football, and let them play without pressure, and build a solid platform for next year, also try playing them in there correct positions

• March 27, 2014 at 11:59

@max wellhouse: @sjk1768: Fully agree we have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain but he won't do it because in his befuddled mind he thinks we can get the points to stay up.
          If we couldn't get those points over the rest of his reign what makes him think he will get them now, or have we got Messi, Ronaldo, YaYa Toure and Vidic coming in on loan and Aldo's not let on yet?

• March 27, 2014 at 08:17

We're down so ditch the dead wood and put the younger players in and everyone get behind them

• March 27, 2014 at 08:25

@southstandview: I think you may have hit the nail in the head. Bring in the Youth that are good enough, lose the deadwood and sign 1-2 true leaders to show the young lads what is required. Bailey could be that type of leader but is a long way off being fit.

• March 27, 2014 at 09:39

@glyngo: Not sure Bailey is a good example to the kids, hardly a model professional. Comes here grossly over weight and totally unfit for the new season and then spends the rest of the season struggling to approach an acceptable level for a pro footballer when he should have been there from the start.
        You could use him as an example of what will happen to you if you don't look after yourself.

• March 27, 2014 at 08:34

@southstandview: We have to do something positive so that's the way forward I think.
      I posted on here a couple of weeks ago what happens when you don't get it right and try to throw money at problems when you don't have the savvy to run a club properly. Most of us will remember what a good top flight team Coventry were. FA Cup winners etc. Now, due to woeful management at boardroom and management level they are playing in League One and have to play their home games 34 miles away at Northampton. Last night their attendence was 1,697.
      This is what could happen if JB pulls the plug.
      8 games left and 24 points needed. Not 15 points.

• March 27, 2014 at 08:35

At least we all agree to much talk ha been done. The problem is he thinks he can get the players to believe it but it's been said before and it hasn't happened so what makes him think it wii happen now

• March 27, 2014 at 09:13

Its simply the case that our players are not good enough for the championship and that's why we are bottom of the league. There are no excuses left and even if they played their hearts out they are not good enough. If we did had good players even with Donald Duck as manager we would stay up but these players are has-beens or not quick enough. KJ knew it, saw how much budget he would be given and said bye-bye, lets get real.
    Bring on the youth.

• March 27, 2014 at 09:25

If these wage thieves could have done the business, they would have done it by now.

We ship goals and can't score them, that a lethal combo and we are at the bottom of the table.

Let's not talk any more horseshit about going down then regrouping to come up to assault the play offs is simply delusional.
    We are declining big time and badly run, look at Portsmouth looks like they are heading for the conference.
    My fear is we slip through league 1. and that what we should now be focussing on preventing so let's have those kids in and say a less than fond Adios to the bloodsuckers.

It's sad that I have to write this as we ain't that far behind the Brighton and Watford's of this league but obviously far enough, as Jackett says it's a game of fine margins.

Wiil holloway have the lowest points return of any manager in our history?

• March 27, 2014 at 09:26

It was actually 3-2 not 3-1 Aldo.

• March 27, 2014 at 09:29

Why has it come to this, needing 15 from 24 points to stay up? Why haven’t the players performed in previous games? Let me tell you, Holloway, nothing is going to change. The players haven’t shown any ‘action’ all season, and they aren’t going to start now. Tuesday night against Birmingham was a ‘must win’ game. You said so yourself. We didn’t win. The players didn’t show enough fight. What makes you think that will change over the last eight games? You don’t help yourself by playing a different formation, with different players (injuries aside) every week. How can the players build confidence when everything changes so frequently? The fans are hurting. We’ve supported you and the players, but now it’s your turn to repay the favour and the loyalty. I hope you can turn things around, I really do. But in my heart of hearts, I think it’s too late. You will have had half a season to turn things around, and you will have failed. The players are either not good enough, disinterested, or both – happy just to collect their wages at the end of the week. If (when!) we are relegated to League One, you say that you will remain at the club. Of course you will! Like the players, you too are being well paid, and who would want to walk away from a contract like that? The Board need to be strong and have a clear out over the summer, both management team and players alike. I will be there as usual on Saturday. I’ll be watching, waiting for this turnaround to happen. I don’t think it will. Prove me wrong. Show me what you can do. No more excuses.

• March 27, 2014 at 09:53

@max wellhouse: If you're going to wait for a turnaround on Saturday you're going to have a long wait. Better take your tent.

• March 27, 2014 at 10:36

@NICKOLA:
        Whilst I'm waiting, I'll consult the train timetable for journey times to Rochdale, Bradford, Stevenage, Tranmere ...

• March 27, 2014 at 11:35

@max wellhouse: Max there will be plenty of seats on them mate so no need to reserve one.

• March 27, 2014 at 10:14

@max wellhouse: YOU SPEAKE WITH TRUE PASSION OF MOST OF US MILLWALL FANS AND NOT WITH THE BORING NEGATIFFS LIKE MOST WHICH IS VERY EASY TO DO . IN THIS SITUATION WE NEED TO KEEP OUR HEADS WHILE OTHERS AROUND US ARE LOSING THEIRS . ALL OF US WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE DEN AS A BASTION THAT ONCE WAS AND A CRIME TO NICK A POINT , I AGREE THE SQUAD EXCEPT FOR 3-4 DO NOT SHOW THE PASSION OF THE MILLWALL OF OLD POSSIBLY BECAUSE THEY FEEL THEY HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE , WE MUST LOOK AT THE SIGNINGS OF THE PAST WHO WANTED TO PLAY AND COULD NOT GET IN TO THE TEAMS THEY WERE WITH , POSSIBLY HARD TO MANAGE AS PEOPLE AND BEING ASSOCIATED WITH MILLWALL GAVE THEM THE PASSION ( NO ONE LIKES US WE DONT CARE ) THAT UNITED A TEAM WHO WANED TO PROVE THEY WERE GOOD PLAYERS . A SURGESTION LET BOMMER WALK ROUND THE PITCH AS A CHEER LEADER THAT WOULD GET THE ATOMOSPHER TO BOILING PIONT AND INSPIER CONFIDENCE AND MAY BE INSTALL SELF BELIEVE .

• March 27, 2014 at 09:42

If being rock bottom of the table, and the laughing stock of the division doesn't fire up these players I don't no what will, It doesn't really help that Steve Morrison, DJ Campbell, Maierhofer, Simeon Jackson are all f****** off at the end of the season so do they REALLY CARE???

• March 27, 2014 at 09:52

@Charliefearnofoe: Charlieferanofoe, its not the players fault as they are simply not good enough for the championship. Ask yourself where have they come from and why were they available, simply because they could not get into regular first teams.

• March 27, 2014 at 10:30

I agree with that but I think all were asking for is a bit of blood and grit, take Waghorn for instance he couldn't get in the Leicester team but he done well here and is thriving at Wigan Im just asking for a bit more fight

• March 27, 2014 at 10:35

"The players will fight to the end"???
    We have not seen a LOT of fight from the players ALL season !!!
    So all we need is 15 points (5 wins) from the last 8 games.
    Don`t make me laugh,we have won about 2 games in the last 20 odd games - SO NO CHANCE.
    I have looked at last 8 games,and I think we will be lucky to get 6 points from those games.
    We will finish bottom Holloway old chap.

• March 27, 2014 at 10:39

My heart says we can still do this but my heads says we are down.
    Eitherway i will be there saturday.
    And back next season for more of the same. Championship or league 1.
    Also anyone know who found my wallet early on Saturday morning and has been treating themselves at downham macdonalds and a day out up town?

• March 27, 2014 at 10:52

@CBLAndy: Sorry to hear about your lost wallet. Could it have been Holloway looking for the right ingredients for a cake?

• March 27, 2014 at 10:43

In fairness, Holloway was always going to have a David & Goliath job turning this team around after the start of the season, and especially with all the injuries we've had throughout. I'm not going to spend my days crying over this situation, it's not the Millwall way in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I would love for us to stay in the Championship, but be it there or League One, I'm looking SO forward to the cull of deadwood at the end of the season, and bring in players who can last a season and want nothing more to wear that badge and do it proud. A team of loanees, approaching or in their 30's is not a winning formula! COYL! Always roaring, no matter what!

• March 27, 2014 at 11:42

@LongfordLion: Longford I agree with that assesment and I would think that most of us if they were honest would have looked at the team and then the new additions and have thought we proberly are not good enough to stay up, but up untill the last two weeks the others just below, were also doing bad.

But now they are all picking there game up except us, with just the one bright spark at Derby,but we just can not put any of our rivals in the basement to the sword when we play them and that is the real problem, we only need to finish in the same position as last season which was we others help and it looks like we cant even do that. But as we all know that your league position does not lie.

• March 27, 2014 at 16:18

@LongfordLion: Lomas also inherited a poor team that just escaped relegation - plus he also brought in overpaid players that weren't good enough or were always injured. But we rightly coated him for the team not progressing under is management.

Things were bad under Lomas, but I see them as even worse under Holloway. But for some reason, lots of people still seem to think it's largely not his fault? Personally I've lost whatever faith I had in his ability to be a competent Millwall manager.

• March 27, 2014 at 10:51

I wish the man would admit the truth.

• March 27, 2014 at 10:55

Lets get real with the facts:
    Millwall are a small club with small gates therefore on a small budget compared to most other Championship teams.
    We will never be able to afford top quality players and even if we could, would they necessary want to come to Millwall?
    The players we have today are what we can afford but have long passed their best and that’s why they were available.
    You cannot demand or expect any more from them because they simply don’t have it anymore. That’s why we are bottom of the league, it’s not so much confidence or necessarily poor tactics or bad managers.
    Kenny Jacket saw this a long time ago, found out what budgets he would be given and that’s why he walked, he wanted more success and a larger budget.
    Lomas was a cheap gamble. If he was a young promising manager and motivated our players to keep us plodding along in the Championship then it would be a success, but he wasn’t.
    Ollie now has the same remit. Little money, keep us in the Championship, motivate our old players and try to squeeze a little more out of them, this has not worked.
    Millwall have been a club that never really wanted to be in the highest division. Our history has proved that, even our old Chairman’s have disclosed this. Why pay out huge wages when a league lower will make the club profitable?
    Why should the players we have now want to push Millwall up only knowing that they will be replaced next season? That’s their wages and livelihoods on the line, so why should they do it? Drop a league lower and that gives them another season or two.
    Millwall’s chairman and board are no fools. Yes they want to keep us in the second tier because it’s profitable but do it by the cheapest means possible. They simply don’t have huge budgets.
    Our American chairman has been good and loyal to Millwall, but he is not the darling we all think he is, he is not CEO of a large corporation for nothing. He is a shrewd businessman and has his eye on the developing areas around the Den. London is booming and big investors are coming in, Millwall and the land around are so close to the City meaning huge profits. Lewisham council may have spotted this and without publically saying it have really kept Millwall FC in our community. I wonder how long JB will be around for when the land agreements have been settled?
    Yes there is plenty you will say and disagree with and in my Millwall heart I hope I am wrong.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:13

@AireLys: Although I agree with your comments, I can't help but think that there must be players out there who would want to play for a team to prove themselves, show what they can do, and use their time at Millwall as a shop window to further their career, or get a pay increase/longer contract, whilst helping us to win games and climb the table. Look no further than Harry Kane, Andros Townsend, Chris Wood, Martyn Waghorn. Those are the sort of players we need at Millwall. We also need players who 'get' the Millwall way, such as Neil Harris, Danny Schofield, Gary Alexander and Tony Craig, who might not cost the earth.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:28

@max wellhouse: Sorry Max wellhouse, posted a reply to you but it went into the 'general scetion'.

• March 27, 2014 at 10:59

Need 15pts do we Ollie?

Be surprised if this bunch manage 5pts.

Please play the youth players as soon as we're mathematically down if not straight away. I do not want or see the point in playing any of the loan players once relegation is confirmed.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:22

@MFC Lion: some years back millwall was heading down fast..we were crap all season..then at the end of the season we won our last 6 games and some how stayed up...lets hope history can repeat it self

• March 27, 2014 at 12:45

@Jim28: I always hope when Millwall are concerned. 6 wins would do nicely.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:20

Groan, so he intends to stay, can it get any worse? It's not div 1 we should fear but div 2 and conference league as well if Holloway remains as manager. There is no money, we have a very close knit board of directors who do not wish to give up their seats, and much of the club's problems going way back have laid in the boardroom.
    What is the difference between Lomas and Holloway? Lomas was slaughtered for doing the same things as Holloway is doing now yet there are no demonstrations or loud calls for Holloway to go. Perhaps he has fooled so many with his propaganda. Millwall needs a better manager.

• March 27, 2014 at 15:36

@Peckhamlad: Agree with you mate regarding Holloway - can't believe many fans are still behind him. I understand we are stuck with him but the blind faith shown by some amazes me.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:23

ALDO! just take this site down mate.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:26

Certainly there were players that that loved Millwall and those that wanted to prove themselves and did you named a few. But if Millwall really wanted success they know it comes at a price and that's what our directors don't want. They like the second tier, keep the club in a small profit and we all benefit. Yes bring through young talent, benefit while they play for us and sell them on, good business.

• March 27, 2014 at 12:02

@AireLys: It reminds me of the situation at Burnley. Predominantly local businessmen with not much money to invest and who like to run a tight ship. Normally a mid-to-lower table side, but this season, with the right manager, right ethos and a consistent formation and line up, they have achieved great things. Even if one of their players is injured, his replacement slots in to the team and knows the style of play and what is expected of him. Holloway should take note!

• March 27, 2014 at 12:29

@max wellhouse: It can also happen by mistake. Back in Benny Fenton's day we nearly got promoted due to some good players coming through and the momentum of winning. Our chairman then did not want it and it was not planned.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:34

We can be the big fish in a little pond in league 1.
    Snap up all the promising players from the lower league such as Gray of Luton.
    Rebuild and start over.

• March 27, 2014 at 14:22

@jdt1885: luton are a bigger club than us - why would he leave

• March 27, 2014 at 14:52

League 2 to league 1?
        How are they bigger than us, probably the same at best.

• March 27, 2014 at 12:04

Hey Wollie, you said that if players didn't play, you would show them the Door / kick them out. You wanted to play YOUR CULTURE, what Happened ? We have witnessed RUBBISH PLAYERS.

• March 27, 2014 at 12:23

@BUSHWACKER14:i agree when your in a relagation battle it is not time to play pretty football you have to fight for every point..it mite not look pleasing ,sod that i'll settle for points any day of the week...

• March 27, 2014 at 12:34

@Jim28: Wimbledon played to their strengths, it wasn't pretty but it got them a very long stay in the top flight and an FA cup. I doubt their supporters were crying out for tippy tappy football. They would not have lasted a season if they had tried that.

• March 27, 2014 at 12:52

@Sealion: tippy tappy worked for Swansea.

I get your point though, Ollie shouldn't have tried to change our style of play so drastically. A bog standard 442 play to our strengths and we probably would have got a few more wins.

• March 27, 2014 at 12:07

I do not believe for one moment that there has been a lack of commitment on the players behalf, but I feel there is a distinct lack of basic skills when put under pressure by the opposition.
    Any team doing their pre-prep scouting will quickly identify how quickly we lose possession when pressed and the other team does not have to win the ball, put under the slightest we tend to give the ball away.
    Having minimal ability and a loss of confidence at our level is virtually an impossibility to overcome and if it was just a lack of more effort then we might be able to turn the tide but unfortunately what we have is terminal, poor basic skills and a loss of confidence is a mountain to climb when we only have basic ability to start with.

• March 27, 2014 at 14:29

@Moody:
      totally right Moody - over the past 3 years we have been kept afloat specifically by Morison when he had pace, Puncheon Townsend, Woods Kane - if we had had one classy player like those this year we could have turned 4 draws into wins easily (at least) that's 8 points which might have saved us - that has been the difference this year, no exceptional quality - a whole bunch of similar triers and some non-triers - no pace no match winners

• March 27, 2014 at 12:17

I think we'd have a decent league one side next year, barring up top.

Keeper: Have to sign a new one as Forde won't sign a new contract
    Defence: Hoyte, Robinson, Shittu, Malone - I think Beevers will be sold, Lowry won't sign a new contract. Dunne will hopefully retire
    Midfield: Abdou, Williams = strong holding league 1 players
    Fred, Upson, Woolford - I think Woolly might be sold but good chance of him staying + Fred should excel.
    Forwards: Maierhofer/Marquis - Maierhofer unlikely to get another deal so could stay. Marquis got another year.

All in all a very good league one side that's capable of promotion.

• March 27, 2014 at 12:55

@harryfabian: I thought we had a decent championship team after our summer signings. How wrong was I!

• March 27, 2014 at 12:40

If we go down we go down part of me is saying it might be better us going down and rebuild. People saying sack holloway it's not holloway it's the squad. Ian will talk a lot of bull but he's the manager that's he's job and he's trying to give players confident well trying anyway. I still say give holloway I pre season and a season. Holloway believes in he's team! our millwall! So let's not give up into it's impossible to stay up! No one likes us we don't care! We are millwall super millwall we are millwall from the den!

• March 27, 2014 at 13:17

i think he should build a side a round william and upson and the rest can f**king go not good enough for div 1

• March 27, 2014 at 13:18

I don't get all of this debate around what Holloway should or shouldn't have done when he came in? He knew the position we were in when he took the job and he told us all he was here for the long term. To my mind, he had one remit this season, win games and keep us up and do it with what you already have plus a few loans. Unless he pulls the five wins out of the bag and by some miracle we stay up he has failed, not Lomas, not Jackett, HE has failed.
    He is obviously serious about sticking around, so next season is a new start for him and his critics, like me. But he shouldn't get any more chances and we should all know where he stands/we stand by September/October 2014, no matter what division we are in...

• March 27, 2014 at 13:23

So disappointed now! I thought IH would turn things around, i really did*!COY(*league 1) L!!!

• March 27, 2014 at 14:07

the reality is even 15 points might not keep us up now - so forget about staying up (not that we could beat 5 teams) - personally I don't want to hear words like 'fight'-- i want words like intelligent , planned , logical , professional etc ...

The key here has been professsionalism-- getting something which is out of the ordinary - if i am having an operation i want skills i can't get down the road - this year we have had decisions about players, teams and tactics made which any of us could have made - we have not seen players develop but rather stagnate or get worse - totally shambolic from the beginning against Yeovil to the end - We will not beat Blackburn, they are too good for us and that will be it - the rest of the season will be embarrassing with low attendances - it is one hell of a job to turn that round for next year - i do not know how the same people in charge will get different outcomes - if we don't get rid of the likes of Dunne, Marquis, Smith etc and plan for the future with younger/better players then heaven help us - Despte us having worse teams in the past , i think i am like many who haven't been so disillusioned with events ever before. Attendance at games is non-negotiable - that will always happen but the frustraion at seeing so many things which could have been put right easily not being done is quite beyond me - it could have been so different this year- such an opportunity lost

• March 27, 2014 at 15:54

@timchimes: An intelligent manager who planned properly for the game ahead using logical tactics so players, sadly lacking a professional approach, might know what they were doing may have led to us winning more games.

• March 27, 2014 at 13:28

We are well and truly dead and buried so there's nothing left to say. It's getting boring now.

• March 27, 2014 at 14:07

@harry2310: yes it really has got that bad

• March 27, 2014 at 13:32

Lets all take a deep breath and just look at the bottom of the table. Millwall, Yeovil and Barnsley are all on 32 points. Charlton have 3 points more on 35. So I suggest we forget about the past, and say our season starts on Saturday especially as we are all on roughly the same points. Whats in the past is the past we can't change that, but from Saturday we can change the future. It is in our hands, so come on you Lions no more nerves, you have the confidence to go out there and win, you won't have a better chance, time to pull away from the bottom. As Ray Wintsone would say, Lets get on it, now.

• March 27, 2014 at 13:39

@CavanLion: Kind of agree - except you forgot to mention that Charlton have THREE games in hand.

• March 27, 2014 at 14:13

@CavanLion:
      Cavan, are you a graduate of the ian holloway school of myopia

since IH arrival we have played. , sheff wed , blackpool, yeovil, brum, charlton, barnsley and leeds (who are awful) and got 3 points - unless we suddenly sign 3 premier League players we won't be winning games - sorry to spoil the illusion Cavan - we are down - absolutely certain

• March 27, 2014 at 19:13

@CavanLion: look at the table a little closer. It is not in our hands.
      Barnsley have a game in hand and Charlton have 3!

We would actually need to win some games for a start to even have a chance of staying up along with hoping those 4 games were all lost so by all means hope for the best but don't hold your breath mate.

• March 27, 2014 at 13:39

Like i said Tuesday night there is nothing i want more for us to stay up but i just cant see it with the way the players have been playing all season apart from a couple of games. We need to get rid of the loanees and give the likes of Fred, Pavey and the rest of the youngsters some playing time ready for next season. We also need to start tapping in to some of the quality that is playing at the local clubs like Dulwich Hamlet and Dartford etc, surely this should be a first for the scouts!! That added to some decent summer signings like Pope of Port Vale, Hogan from Rochdale, Freeman from Stevenage whilst retaining some of the quality we already have (Forde, Malone, Williams, Abdou, Upson, Maierhofer, Jackson) and we might have a decent chance next season.

• March 27, 2014 at 19:17

@LionsDan: absolutely spot on but am I the only one with a horrible nagging feeling that it will be more 30 year old has beens that we end up getting instead?

• March 27, 2014 at 14:12

Our players couldn't fight there way out of a paper bag Ollie, they don't know the meaning of the word.
    BTW, does anyone know where Bailey, Chaplow, Hoyte and Martin are coz I'd like to go and kick the s*** out of them, plus if you could also let me know who's decision it was to sign Hoyte, I'll kick the s*** out of them as well.
    Here's hoping Ollie does some defensive work with the team before Sat. Might also be an idea to stop the opposition crossing the ball seeing as we are inept at defending crosses.
    Gutted to be back in league 1 next season and what really irks me is both Charlton & Palace will once again be in leagues above us.

• March 27, 2014 at 14:20

This is daft. 5 out of 8 wins? Come off it.

The outcome of this vain battle is giving first team action to many players who want to bugger off next season. I think Holloway is the man for us next season, but I hoped he'd have the balls to conceed we are down and replace all the players not here next year with youth right now. These 8 games are amazing development opportunities for young players.

• March 27, 2014 at 14:23

If the board was on the same level as the fans they would never of brought in lomas who ripped the heart out of our club. Then expect someone else to rebuild what they f***** up

• March 27, 2014 at 14:44

@block 28: the FOB who is surpose to represent us interviewed Lomas and told us all he was great and the right man for the job. Maybe we need a new FOB

• March 27, 2014 at 15:53

@>markbrowns I agree he's done nothing for us. He's suppose to keep us informed on what's going on with our club. Anyone on here fancy the job you can't be any worse than than the patsy we got now

• March 27, 2014 at 14:45

I think we all on here know we're going down. BUT , we cannot let our heads drop and mug ourselves off. I expect to see fight and desire no matter what.
    Let's push our chests out and go with dignity. Bring on League One and a new challenge..
    COYL !

• March 27, 2014 at 15:01

"Millwall will not give up their place in the championship without a fight". Forgive me if I'm wrong but they already have haven't they..........

• March 27, 2014 at 15:35

The players have fought all season, so I doubt there gonna start now!!
    Need a proper leader on the pitch a Les Briley type or the great sir Terry Hurlock!

• March 27, 2014 at 17:33

@dpendet: Bailey was supposed to do the Hurlock job and get in peoples faces, be our midfield general, what a powder puff he turned out to be.

• March 27, 2014 at 15:55

Marquis back at Northampton, well there goes our last great hope of salvation.

• March 27, 2014 at 16:11

@MFC Lion: shows what an utterly shambolic mess we are - he shouldn't be anywhere near our squad at any time - free transfer - get rid of him - get players who can play football - if he plays for us next year , we are in serious trouble

• March 27, 2014 at 16:18

@MFC Lion:

following on from that story - we have the kid macmanus going to hayes or some two bob outfit - if we have players on our books who are being paid that can't play for sides any higher than that , then we should get rid of them - - what level are they in 7 - what is the point - why do we need such mediocrity - we need a root and branch upheavel - I though IH was going to do that - he threatened to - but it seems to get worse

• March 27, 2014 at 16:18

I have been going for now close on 60 years and I have witnessed some dross over that time, but no matter what at the end of any really poor season I have always been keen to maybe keep one or two of that crop but I have to admit this lot can be shown the door and I would not miss one of them.
    It's not their fault that they are so mediocre but whoever decided they were sufficient to fill a role for our club should be held responsible.
    The departure of KJ should have signaled a clear-out and brought in a manager with his own style of play and then allowed him to recruit the type of player needed for his set-up, I think that JB has had the wrong people guiding him into what he should be employing as a manager and the way the club is set-up should be looked at regardless of who the manager is and the academy should be run in a fashion that is independent of whoever the current manager is with a new scouting system installed that is not costly but should reward those that bring in tomorrows would be stars.
    If we have the right caliber of players on the fringe of breaking through as of the kids Maghee inherited then any worthwhile manager/coach would love to come and work with them.

• March 27, 2014 at 16:50

@Moody: In total agreement, when Gordon Jago took over the first move he made was to appoint Derek Healey as Chief Scout who was at the time one of the country's leading scouts who in turn bought in Bob Pearson as his assistant. They acted independently and built one of the best youth teams in the country winning the FA youth cup. The side included Sheringham, O'Callaghan, Kinsella, Robinson,Rhino and many more. The core of that side took Millwall up to the Premiership. Jago left but he did the spade work in the beginning.
      Millwall has to regain its pride, invest in a good scouting set up and start from the beginning again.
      Start with a manager who knows what he is doing.

• March 27, 2014 at 16:51

Carlos Edwards,35 joins us from Ipswich! More money wasted!

• March 27, 2014 at 18:05

Boring Ian! You've been saying that for the last 6 weeks now. Its results we need not speeches!