Ollie: Leeds United clash is another "cup final" for Millwall

©
©

IAN Holloway says Saturday's trip to Leeds United is the first of ten "cup finals" for Millwall as they bid to avoid the drop.

Elland Road was the scene of one of Holloway's finest results as a manager – a 5-0 win with Blackpool in November 2011 – but he does not expect such an easy ride this weekend.

And the Lions boss admits his side urgently needs to find a "winning mentality" as they head into the final ten games of the season in the bottom three.

"I have won 5-0 at Elland Road before but I am going to have to earn it this time," he said. "Let's hope they're moaning like hell at their manager.

"Every game is a chance for us to get a win. If we can go to Derby and win 1-0, we can beat anybody.  It's another cup final and we need to get a winning mentality.

"The terrible thing for me is that we did not have any time to celebrate and feel good about ourselves after we beat Derby.

"We went straight into the Blackpool game, after a terrible journey, and then we missed a penalty, hit the bar and hit the post. That's what's been happening to us recently.

"Against Huddersfield, in my first game, we lost to the last kick and we didn't deserve that. I hope we're not ruing the points we could and should have had by the end of the season.

"All I can do is look at what we have just done, look at what we have got to do next and then encourage the lads to do it better, and I'm seeing it come."

Holloway maintains that Millwall's performances have been improving in recent weeks and that his side deserved to beat Charlton last time out.

"The stats told me and everyone else that we were better than them but unfortunately we didn't get three points," he said.

"We are producing much better stats than we were before, and you need to do that because otherwise you haven't got a hope.

"We're creating more chances and letting less goals in.

"We have only conceded one goal in three games so if you consider what the lads were doing beforehand, they've got better.

"Wherever we are in the table, we are determined to get better and in a way and a style that is gradually getting better.

"Millwall may not be used to it but I don't really care. I have got to commit to what I believe and we are gradually getting there.

"I believe we will score some more goals and I believe that will happen at the right time."

But Holloway wants Saturday's talking points to be on the field, not off it.

He said: "Everybody has got rivalry with Leeds because they had a massive crew who would go around fighting people and so did we.

"I'm not proud of that and nobody should be, but we were good at it and so were they.

"That was when it was fashionable and it wasn't just us. That is all Millwall are remembered for and I think it is a shame.

"We are going to Leeds to try to score and hopefully we can all talk about the performance that we put in."

35 thoughts on “Ollie: Leeds United clash is another "cup final" for Millwall

• March 21, 2014 at 12:16

And there was me thinking we had 14 cup finals, or was that a couple of weeks ago?. We've done extremely well in the previous 4, getting one win. We're not very good at cup finals.

• March 21, 2014 at 12:23

We are going to Leeds to try to score - surely that is the point of every game of football?maybe if leeds didnt have a goalkeeper we might get close?

• March 21, 2014 at 14:48

@paulsanders22: Leeds have let in nine goals in their last two home games, so maybe we might perform miracles and get a few goals.

• March 21, 2014 at 12:25

Cant believe he talked about the firms and how good Millwall's were.
    Hilarious.
    Dont think I have ever heard that from a manager.
    He is definately a one off.

• March 21, 2014 at 13:02

@wall2wall:

I know that is funny.maybe he's focussing on some positives regarding what Millwall were good at 😉

If nothing else he gives us a laugh for the football isn't ATM. Hoping less pressure from fewer of pur fans and the weeds ones get on their players' backs. Hope IH doesn't go crazy with bizarre formation though.

• March 21, 2014 at 15:00

@dude:
        My main wish is that he sticks with Fred and plays him from the start. Also really hoping that Malone is back.
        We can definately beat Leeds tomorrow.
        2-1 Wall.

• March 21, 2014 at 12:29

With 30 points left, this is perhaps too soon, but when (not "if" in my opinion) relegation becomes pure fate let's put the best of the young on who crave 3rd and even lower level experience instead - why not? He should look upon the remaining games as next season's pre-pre-season friendlies and already cut short the season for the players with egos too big for 3rd tier football. Make the most of a bad situation.

• March 21, 2014 at 12:36

Yep, we still got the 'Bottle' , everybody who comes to our away games will know that! So don't let's kid anyone. We are MILLWALL !

• March 21, 2014 at 12:57

11 points is the Max well take from our remaining games
    So let's hope Charlton,Yeovil ,and Barnsley get less that's the grim reality

• March 21, 2014 at 13:11

classic ollie! you gotta love the nutter regardless he's a rare find LOL

• March 21, 2014 at 13:52

If the team was as good as us at fighting we wouldn't be in the bottom three.

• March 21, 2014 at 20:41

@block 28: We would be top of the premier league with a champions league winners medal.

• March 21, 2014 at 13:52

These next matches will show Ollie who wants to play for Millwall and who's shirking. I think he should name and shame those that don't pull their weight from now on in.

• March 21, 2014 at 13:54

Just win the fkin game and you can say what you fkin like after, none of us will care. 3 points, nothing less.

• March 21, 2014 at 14:18

'Fixtures between the Lions and Leeds have taken on the intensity of a local derby in recent years, and draconian ticket restrictions continued to be imposed on Millwall fans.'
    Don't even get me started with these travel restrictions, fu#king joke.
    I was one of the 'thousand' that went to the League 1 play-off semi final at Leeds and remember a few Millwall fans being attacked when walking from there car park to the stadium that night.
    What's the point in having these restrictions if that's going to happen.
    Really wish Millwall fans would boycott this game, seeing as Leeds are missing out on the income from ticket sales.
    Hate Leeds almost as much as I hate West Hamas.

• March 21, 2014 at 15:21

@>Syd the Lion. I will be there tomorrow got a ticket for Leeds part of the ground. But I do agree that we should boycott it. How the f*** can they say it's a derby & a great atmosphere when there ain't any away fans. & what does are club do about it. F*** all.

• March 21, 2014 at 16:03

@block 28: In with the Leeds fans, good man.
        Not sure what our club can do about it tbh. I think a lot of it is down to West Yorkshire police force applying these restrictions, w@nkers!

• March 21, 2014 at 14:22

As has been mentioned on numerous occasions already, talk is cheap, it's what we do on the pitch that counts. Why not tell us what you've been working on this week on the training ground which is going to get us the 3 points against Leeds? The supporters already know that each game is a cup final. It sounds like you are trying to motivate the players into thinking that. However, as we already know, they will pick up their £10k (or however much they earn) whatever the outcome. If that's all they care about, then we (JB actually) need to perhaps offer them an incentive (a cash bonus/new car/holiday) to avoid relegation.

My preferred option would be to bring in a new signing on a short term deal until the end of the season. That person being a psychologist, as Uncle Woy has done with the England team. They would certainly have their work cut out, but if they could get to the bottom of why we can't score, it would be worth it. 'Shots on target' don't win games!

• March 21, 2014 at 14:27

Yet more cobblers. Basically saying it's not his fault; "I can't control the choices people make, the chances they get and what they do with them. I notice he said 'HE' won 5-0 at Leeds before'; surely that was down to the players making the right choices Ian, and nothing to do with you? Results are worse since he took over; great, we're only losing 1-0 now, that's a great plan for survival, carry on old son! I can't say I've noticed the football being considerably better either. I'm sorry but this bloke really gets on my thru'pennies. Just praying for three points.

• March 21, 2014 at 16:11

@Adsy77777: well mate you haven't seen is article in the south london that would probably kill...goes sumething like this olly & jb has made a proper red indian blood pact..they are now blood brothers..do i have go on?? Check it out

• March 21, 2014 at 18:48

@Adsy77777: I'll get mullered for this Adsy, rhetorical questions, but would we be any worse off if Lomas had stayed? I thought Lomas was the right type of appointment for us, young and with something to prove, but never felt he was the right man. But could he have stabilised what he had and picked up a few wins since Xmas? I've never been a fan of Holloway and was disappointed that the club joined the merry-go round as we'd never gone for this high profile media type before. His reputation is largely based on his time at Blackpool and Palace but on closer inspection his actual record at these clubs isn't stand out, but the play-off victories give him his kudos. My one hope is that he's been a streak manager throughout his career, several games without winning and several games without losing so lets hope he has the latter up his sleeve between now and the end of the season?

• March 21, 2014 at 14:27

The best thing Ollie could have done this week was to show the players a video of the Wigan vs Yeovil match. This would have shown them what fighting for survival is all about.

• March 21, 2014 at 14:28

I actually think we can go there and turn them over and do the double over them, there in free fall at the moment so why not? Williams will be a miss but I'm sure Simone's due a goal

• March 21, 2014 at 14:40

@Charliefearnofoe: I envy your optimism! Just because Leeds are in freefall doesn't mean that we can beat them. Look at Blackpool. They hadn't won in 18 until we played em!

• March 21, 2014 at 14:29

Well if anyone can get us out of this sh*t Ollie can! COYL!!!

• March 21, 2014 at 15:55

@333lions: i think we can do weeds to me there 2 bob outfit & there fans...traveling round russia is easier then getting to that s*** hole..

• March 21, 2014 at 18:54

@333lions: Like he did for Leicester and QPR you mean?

• March 21, 2014 at 16:02

Another set of quality quotes from Ollie, at least he's not list his humour, 3 points for the weekend please

• March 21, 2014 at 16:30

Enough of the TALK ----- We need Points ---- It's easy to say we have ten cup finals they are not they are league games and it's about time YOU got it right for a change and we win ---- You dont have a record of helping teams from avoiding relegation but your action are nowhere as good as the words you use

As supporters we need ACTION NOW

• March 21, 2014 at 16:41

@aeojt: he should have said playoffs wot happened to weeds that nite.,weeds guess who's playing ABDOU

• March 21, 2014 at 22:35

@Jim28: Dont get your thread here <:(

• March 21, 2014 at 19:27

I am sick & f,,,ing tired of hearing what I H has done at weeds with blacktool or at pester with oo p r you are now at the best club of all with people who care about MILLWALL FC consentrate on the job in hand ,,,, you have our future in your hands we don't give a f,,k about the past ,,,, let's put the PRIDE BACK INTO THE LIONS ,,,& from now on Mr I H it's in your hands ,,,C O Y L 3 points tomorrow & come on boys play for that shirt & OUR CLUB

• March 21, 2014 at 22:54

It's all "ifs "and "buts", all we needed is a decent marksman Morison has never been up to it. With one we may have won the last three games, if the Austrian can start banging them in all well and good, but I sensne the team has been mucked about with too much, especially the forward line, oh for a Cascarino and Sheringham.

• March 21, 2014 at 23:12

I think Holloway should stop giving interviews until the end of the season,He isn't doing himself any favours by giving away his match plans and is on a hiding to nothing if it all go's wrong.

• March 21, 2014 at 23:44

I think ollie is right when he say's he can't control what player's do,under lomas the defender's let us down big time,under ollie the forward's have let us down big time.when the whistle blow's to start the game it is then up to the player's,im sorry to say they are just not good enough.