Ollie: Millwall have bright future regardless of fate this year

©
©

IAN Holloway insists Millwall have a bright future ahead of them – regardless of whether the club stays in the Championship this season.

Holloway was speaking after watching his side held to a 0-0 draw by Charlton.

The Lions blew the chance to move six points ahead of the Addicks in the table and will drop into the bottom three if their south London rivals win one of four games in hand.

But Holloway was in bullish mood afterwards and said Millwall's fate was far from sealed.

"I am going to try to keep the club up," he said. "I could have sat at home until the summer and said I might like to take the job then, but I like getting my hands dirty.

"If it [relegation] ruins my reputation, I do not care. I want to be here a long time and get us playing the right way. We'll either be good enough or we won't.

"I think the long-term future for us is bright because we have got some wonderful young fellas coming through and I can't wait to work with them.

"As long as I continue to see the bits and pieces that I saw today, I'll be encouraged.

"At the end of the day, I wanted to make a bigger impact and I will do that in the long term. Short-term, things are not turning yet but we have got to keep going.

"I have seen some massive differences in that dressing room – the way people are, the way they are communicating with each other. They're starting to play for the badge.

"I did not see any of the games before I came but I don't think they were playing with the same passion and encouragement as they are now."

Holloway handed 17-year-old Fred Onyedinma his first start for the club and the midfielder nearly scored with his first touch – a near-post headed that flew wide.

"I'm thinking the same as most people after that – all we needed was a goal," Holloway said.

"I thought it was going to be a fairytale when Fred whipped his neck around that cross, I was thinking 'here we go'.

"Unfortunately it went wide of the post and so Charlton are probably happier with the result than I am.

"We wanted to make them have to win two of their games in hand.

"We kept trying but there were a few nerves out there and we didn't create as many chances as we would have liked."

Holloway added: "We didn't give the ball to Fred enough. I don't think the other lads realise what he can do for a kid who is 17.

"Fred was going to be on the bench but Lee Martin jarred his knee in training yesterday and Richard Chaplow's Achilles was terrible, so he couldn't be involved.

"Fred stepped in and I had no qualms about playing him. I thought he handled the game well. The crowd loved him and on another day we'll give him the ball a bit more.

"He has got a lot of ability – he is a box of tricks – and we just needed something to come off for us. He's got everything but we've got to play it down.

"Until he has played another 99 games he is not really a professional yet. Everybody writes a lot about young players but I believe in our young lads."

6ft8in Austrian striker Stefan Maierhofer also made his debut for the Lions as a second-half substitute.

"You've got to be brave to play the way I want so hopefully I've simplified it by bringing on the big man," Holloway said. "We've got to learn how to use him but he'll cause problems.

"We look solid, much more solid than we have done, but we could be freer and more open like we were at Derby after we scored.

"Games are getting tight now and we need to score an ugly goal – I am not saying Stefan's ugly, he is quite a good looking chap – but he's big enough to knock something in.

"I wanted at least six points out of our last nine nine but we couldn't get a goal today.

"At Blackpool we hit the post, hit the bar and missed a penalty and lost 1-0 to a free header from a corner.

"So am I happy? No. Can we do better? Yes. Are there a lot of things looking better? I think so, but the results aren't going better. We've got to dig in and keep fighting."

132 thoughts on “Ollie: Millwall have bright future regardless of fate this year

• March 15, 2014 at 19:05

Sounds like the Gettysburg address.
    Signings from Jackett, Lomas and Ollie-Crap
    Formations-Crap
    Scouting-Crap.
    Board's understanding of above-Crap.
    THIS IS NOT MILLWALL ANYMORE.

• March 15, 2014 at 19:47

@NICKOLA: SORRY OLLIE, BUT THAT WAS POOR FOR MILLWALL FC. FRED LOOKS PROMISING, NEED TO PLAY HIM MORE. NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. THE STORM.

• March 15, 2014 at 20:54

@bermlion: it is the epitomy of what everyone else has already said mr holloway.

We should be playing our youngsters and not wasting money on the has been wage thieves.

We know who they are, you know who they are and they know who they are.

Get rid and rebuild.

• March 15, 2014 at 21:25

@bermlion: bermlion, this was 2 really poor teams playing out a crap game, which Millwall did not seem to look like the wanted or where capible of winning, Fred looked like he might be worth giveing an extend run in the side,

The big Austrian was not as bad as I tought he would have been, but I do not understand Olies team selection and his use & timings of his subs and his formation of the team results do not lie, has any real Idea to advert what is now looking like will happen Division one.

• March 16, 2014 at 07:24

@NICKOLA: ONE MESSAGE : give us back our MILLWALL! ( The lions fans )

• March 15, 2014 at 19:09

How can he have so much to say about so LITTLE ?????????????

• March 15, 2014 at 19:35

@peter2545: still on the p*** in the borough ..chased of the anoraks.,good tine ...o.b sent en ome to mummy

• March 15, 2014 at 20:58

@Jim28: And a bit of window licking on the train.

• March 15, 2014 at 20:42

Our future is about as bright as that of the electronic scoreboard. "Tonight I have nothing to say" would have been a fairer and actually more in depth press comment.

• March 15, 2014 at 21:33

@drifter: After a few glasses I'm starting to see the positives. Never been to Rochdale, Stevenage or Crawley - at least 3 new grounds next season. Thanks Ollie.

• March 17, 2014 at 08:32

@Longfield Lion: Longfield, Thats what he has always done his mouths off but the brain is not engaged, but there was one good thing about Saturdays game we had the best crowd of the season so he has a bit more money to spend on some usless donkey to go the others he has signed already so they can grace division one next term.

• March 15, 2014 at 19:32

F*** off. We are paying you good money to try and keep us up. I wasn't sure he was the right man for the job when he was appointed but he was the popular choice and I would get behind any Millwall manager and team but to deny what should be obvious to all of us, results don't lie, this man is a clown.

• March 15, 2014 at 19:50

One good win away from giving the place a lift but we need at least a point at Leeds and win against the brumies it's not over till the fat lady sings we are Millwall till the the end and I have been supporting them 48 years now 3rd generation and the match against the boro will be my grandsons first Millwall as I'am in exile in the north east .

• March 15, 2014 at 19:53

@carewlion:

social services might want a word, I assume did not make it to london today....i would not subject my grandson to that ....turn him off for life

• March 15, 2014 at 19:58

He's the only boy who turns up for football training with he's Millwall training kit and is Millwall mad it runs in the blood he will be 5th generation.

• March 15, 2014 at 20:00

@carewlion:

hope the players turn up for you

• March 15, 2014 at 20:20

Tonytowner he will Learn what it takes to support the lions of sth London I was there for the reading game thought first twenty mins we were good but bywater mistake took the wind out of us was at Barnsley thought we done the usual we asleep for their goal and no luck will the forwards thought the crossing was poor all the teams at the basement teams .

• March 15, 2014 at 22:30

@carewlion: hope he enjoys it win or lose and im sure he will learn to love the lions and take highs and lows in his stride

• March 15, 2014 at 19:47

Just got in. After reflection on the train home I think it will go to the wire. Not because we are turning the corner but because there are some p*** poor teams at this end of the league. AWFUL

• March 15, 2014 at 20:00

For the 3rd time in as many weeks.
    This club of OURS and by that I mean OUR Millwall has been, and still currently is, run by people who have absolutely no idea at all as to how to run a professional Football Club.
    I respect Berylson. I've never met the man but he comes across as a decent man. Very influential, good background, wealthy with a proven track record in finance. He's put his money where his mouth is when he could have invested in a Premiership team given his wealth.
    All positives.
    The real problem is that he, like the board do not know what they are doing. JB interviews Lomas, gets swayed with the ' Fordey, Jimmy and Dunney are the salt of the earth, I understand what Millwall is all about Guv honest' spiel. I also thought Lomas was going to be good for us, but then I didn't interview him and if you accept that I, as a supporter who understands Millwall, would have been able to smell B******* when I smell it and consequently I would have said 'No thanks'. The reason why Lomas got the job was because JB actually thought he understood Millwall and could move them forward, because he was sounded out as a Millwall type of guy, despite the other candidates, some of whom have now done very well.
    Then Ollie, who it must be said inherits a poor, very unfit team and tries to wave the magic wand. He's made some very poor signings, tried to get us playing like Real Madrid, signs midgets to fit in with that, plays 5 strikers up front in one game, and then, when it all goes pear shaped, and doesn't rate Morison as a right winger, signs a player who given, has height but hasn't actually played professionally for 9 months. You could not make this up.
    I've followed Millwall over land and sea. I've never seen such an inept board.
    We are what we are. I understand that. But in all honesty, it's a travesty because we could be so much more given the funds we've had. We just need to have a Field Marshall in the boardroom who understands Millwall, and English football in general. If history has taught us anything, it's that you can't thow money at problems to resolve them unless you understand what the root cause is.
    I'm done. I'm p***** off with the board, managers and players.They've ruined my Millwall and there's no turning it around now.

• March 15, 2014 at 20:15

@NICKOLA:

whilst not wishing to rain on your parade, I am a bit confused regards the spending of the money....is Paul Goddard still our record signing...if so we are exactly where we asspire to be

i like your poetic licence re the teravelling over sea....I was in Hungary as well, but are we also including the River Severn

• March 15, 2014 at 20:25

@tonytowneronthewing: NO. Signing Wood, as I've posted already today on a different thread, would have been the same money spent on signing on fees etc for the rabble that now represent our forward line.
        That decision was made by the Millwall manager at that time and the Millwall board, who collectively, left it too late. And that's my point.

• March 15, 2014 at 20:45

@NICKOLA:

Difficult to assess with Woods ...he was scoring for us when we had our little'purple patch' last season....which was great I loved his winner v leeds.....i dont think hes in such form now liecester bought in kevin phillips and he has leapfrogged him in the pecking order. In fairness if we had had messi in the team would it be any different. i agree with the essence of what you say but i think ultimatly the buck must stop with JB....he certainly has not spent like a man who could have taken on a premier league team.....paying the bigger wages to the loanees is not only a false economy but also cheaper than investing in the long term interest

• March 16, 2014 at 10:38

woods got offered around 20,000 ,was going to sign then his old man said lets see what Leicester have to offer. he got a better offer.cannot blame the board or manager for that.

• March 16, 2014 at 11:14

@NICKOLA: @tonytowneronthewing: Agree with a lot of what you said there NIK, but I feel Woods isn't the best example in backing up your comment, because although the guy was banging in goals for us, he was ultimately a glory hunting c**t, who didn't believe that Millwall was going places, even when we were on the same points as Leicester and pushing promotion. I don't know if any amount of money would have kept him here- maybe I'm wrong.....? Suppose the other issue would've been, if we did buy him for a massive figure- how would he have fit into the wage structure? Were his wage demands so much that it wouldn't be fair on the other players? Again, I'm just thinking aloud here - trying to fathom how we got in this s**t.... please feel free to shoot me down!
          In line with your comment, I think that Waghorn would've been a superb signing, and on the time line of events, we should've learnt our lesson and been a bit more bullish in securing him.
          As for our current situation, I do feel that IH is in a pretty impossible situation and is in some respects a passenger, just like you, me and everyone else. Because he hasn't been able to pick the same team twice- through no fault of his own- (injuries/suspensions etc.) which brings the new problem/questions of who's on the market - at this time of the season - who is ideal for us at this level and who we can afford? Not exactly straight forward IMO.
          Coming round full circle- absolutely agree that you can't throw money at a problem without knowing the root cause... JB and probably more so, the board could've made some smarter decisions for our long term future. As IH has said, he ideally needs more time to rip out the dead wood and rebuild the foundations of our team- hopefully it'll be pre season going into the championship and not league 1...

• March 16, 2014 at 12:43

@Luke ColdBlow10: Morison is reporteedly on 17k a week. I know we're not paying all of it but none the less that's what he's on. I don't have the feeling that he's been ostracized by the other players because of that.
            Historically, and certainly for the last 3 years, we have signed poor players simply because they will come for the money we offer, or get convinced by the Millwall manager in situ that he can resurrect their career. You get what you pay for. With Wood, it was too late and then became public knowledge that there was a bidding war going on. You can't blame him for going where the money is but had we signed him early doors that wouldn't have been an issue.
            A wood/Waghorn stike force would not see us where we are now. Ineptness and a total lack of nous at management and boardroom level has let those two slip through the net. By comparison, look what we've spent in signing on fees, salaries etc. for the recent intake.. I've seen some crap forward lines at the Den in my time but this lot are a disgrace. It's not the defence that is going to get us relegated anymore, it's the attack.

• March 16, 2014 at 15:18

@NICKOLA: @Luke ColdBlow10: Can't disagree with that, all I knew about the Wood situation was that we basically lost the bidding war. I guess you can't blame him for going where the money is- but it still grinds my gears that he chose to go to Leicester when we were in such a good position and was going into a team where he wasn't guaranteed a start.
      It does seem to be a string of bad decisions that has brought us to where we are. Why hold back over keeping players like Wood and Waghorn? Everyone could see that the both of them were pretty safe bets... the level that our strikers are at in comparison is laughable really... As you said 'you get what you pay for'- a couple of young, strong, talented and 'in form' FWDs..... or...... a handful of old, out of form, unfit midgets....??? No brainer.....We'll take the latter please! (excluding Morro and 'the HOFF'! ...maybe??) ... Oh well, I'm still gona back the team to the end... just hoping that regardless of what league we're in next season- some lessons will have been learned and some solid foundations are put in place for the future...

• March 15, 2014 at 20:03

Charlton came for what they got , a point. We weren't good enough to break them down.
    Maierhofer looked ok to be fair , although after 25 mins he was blowing out his @rse , clearly no where near half fit.
    50/50 if we stay up I think.

• March 15, 2014 at 20:27

Big bloke really did sirprised me fort he was full of running not bad for a unfit bloke...bruv ouer from eire 2day & he got it bang on...millwall are playing like strangers....staying out 2 get plastered

• March 15, 2014 at 21:01

@Jim28: no surprise Jim. 41 players this year, no wonder they play like strangers, they are!

• March 15, 2014 at 20:30

Carewlion
    Mar 15 - 20:20
    Tonytowner he will Learn what it takes to support the lions of sth London I was there for the reading game thought first twenty mins we were good but bywater mistake took the wind out of us was at Barnsley thought we done the usual we asleep for their goal and no luck will the forwards thought the crossing was poor all the teams at the basement teams are poor and what would we give for a tony towner and a kitchener now

• March 15, 2014 at 20:31

So our China ornaments Chaplow and Martin are injured again, is it safe to let these guys out of their homes on their own. What the f*** have we got here, they can't seem to cross the road without getting injured.Have they ever considered that they might be in the wrong profession ? Perhaps they should try and get a job on Lewisham Council they do f*** all, less chance of them hurting themselves and at least they would be in good company. The stick Moro gets and these p***** can't manage 90mins let alone 2 games on the trot. How long are they going to be out now for?

• March 15, 2014 at 20:33

Shoot me down but I think we will win at Weeds next week. Playing better at the back now under Ollie and looking more threatening away from home. Play the big man up top with a 4-5-1 and a nice little 1-0 is on the cards. If we go down and its now looking likely then we must bounce back at the first attempt. COYL

• March 15, 2014 at 20:53

Today he was looking to 'make Charlton win two of their games in hand', a week ago he was talking about 'doubling our points tally'. Dumbfounding or plain dumb? We need 10 points minimum from our last ten games. Our home games, Birmingham, Blackburn, Watford, Doncaster and Bournemouth, are key because the away fixtures, Leeds, Forest, Wigan, Middlesbrough and QPR look very difficult in a normal season, let alone one as bad as this. The big German might be our get out of jail card as at least we now have the out and out target man that we have been crying out for, somebody to properly mess up the oppo back four.

• March 15, 2014 at 20:58

@lion.ie: Don't call him German, he's Austrian its the equivalent to calling a Millwall fan a Spammer.

• March 15, 2014 at 21:19

@Sealion: bitte entschuldigen Sie, 'the big Austrian'!

• March 15, 2014 at 21:03

Well s*** performance from Wall no passion no direction and we need 2 F****** wingers it's no rocket science Dunne was and is s***
    Best player Fred by a mile Maierhofer was a refreshing surprise actually looks good and comfortable on the ball and could bring a lot to the game ,Sheringham,Cascarino,Moody, all great past players he could fit this mould, But we need wingers to feed him
    Feeney , Henry, Taylor, all sold great Millwall but that's what we need,this guy for his 1st game in ages and being thrown in at the deep end made the rest of the wall players look sad, tired and pathetic
    If it's league 1 that beckons I will not be putting money into Wall through the turn styles and i suspect there's many more Wall fans who feel the same
    10 games left get your F****** head out of your Arses and keep your mouths shut and get your boots on for one Hell of a scrape.

• March 15, 2014 at 22:39

@southstand:
      In all fairness I thought the Austrian giraffe played quite well - probably more of a Conlon than a Cascarino though.

• March 15, 2014 at 21:05

Taking a break from all the upset of this nightmare season, i thought it was a terrific gesture by the club to have a picture of jimmy mizzen on the front of the programme, well done to all involved.

• March 15, 2014 at 21:33

Why was there fuckall bout bob crow

• March 15, 2014 at 21:55

@Jim28: there was a bit in the programme jim but i was hoping for a moment of applause at least , maybe the board have more in common with thatcher as she got a minutes silence, and maybe theres an indication of the people running our club, jb excluded as i know he's a democrat

• March 16, 2014 at 10:46

@thecolumbusblock: actually he's a Republican, but the board are from business backgrounds most have not got a clue, love to pose in their "suits"and laugh off bad results, I know because I have seen them. Bob Crow would have made mincemeat of the lot as he was one of us.

• March 16, 2014 at 19:09

@Peckhamlad: JB is a Democrat FACT!

• March 16, 2014 at 06:50

Because he stopped us all getting home from work at one point or another.. And £150k a year? Real one of the people!

• March 16, 2014 at 10:39

@brockleysfinest: ah poor you! so you couldn't get home from your important work one day - sounds like you are jealous - why aren't you jealous of David Cameron and his Etonian friends - what have they ever done to earn their money?
          you don't understand when someone is trying to help you and your class ; except of course if you are an Old Etonian, are you?

• March 16, 2014 at 10:51

No mate lift engineer, and it's lovely trying to get home after a shift on a building site all day, when the trains ain't running because the workers are holding the city to ransom, being led by a bloke on more bunce than any of them

• March 16, 2014 at 10:56

@brockleysfinest: He earnt every penny 7 days a week and got his members a decent wage. He was one of us and fought tirelessly for the under priviliged. He wasn't a parasite city louse who lived off big fat bonuses that most of us could not earn in 20 years.

• March 16, 2014 at 11:22

Well I don't believe the hype, been bent over by unions more than once to know better

• March 16, 2014 at 13:08

@brockleysfinest: In a job where people are being underpaid and overworked and staff benefits are being slashed as, in the majority of cases, there is no union and no Bob Crow.

• March 15, 2014 at 21:18

Finished reading your book a couple of weeks ago Ollie. In it you said you and Bulpin sorted the defense and midfield out and you later brought in Gary Penrice to sort out the forwards. You said he done a great job. For f*** sakes go and get him.

• March 15, 2014 at 21:23

Just a thought but doesn't the unlucky f***** who finishes top of the predictor league win a season ticket for next year.

• March 15, 2014 at 21:24

we ultimately lack quality and pace - fred looked great for 17 as he has pace over 10 yds and can pull the defence out of shape our other players can't -
    we just don't get enough players I the box - how often did you see morison scraping for loose balls - he and the others do not get in goal scoring positions ; hence no goals - free kicks and corners are next to useless - I think there is total commitment from the team but we lack the quality on the ball to find that killer pass or break from midfield - we are snatching at half chances - we need to relax in front of goal ; it has been that way for quite a while
    excuse the cliché but it is fine margins - Derby showed what can happen if we get a break -
    we need 14 pts - so its not impossible 4 wins 2 draws 4 losses

• March 15, 2014 at 21:55

B*******. He's already getting in his excuses for getting us relegated. 'If it ruins my reputation'?????? It's not all about you, you p****. Nothing's ever his fault. He was brought in to improve results and to keep us from being relegated and at the moment he is failing in spectacular style. Ian, the results are s***! So we are still losing games but the players are communicating better - well done you!!!! I feel so much better about things now I know that.

• March 16, 2014 at 13:10

@Adsy77777: It's always been about him Adsy.

• March 15, 2014 at 22:02

I've personally had enough of all the s**** performances, struggling to stay up for the 3rd season on the spin is mentally taking it out of me, can't wait for this season to be other and done with...it's fast becoming an obligation to attend out matches, personally I'm not renewing my season ticket,

• March 15, 2014 at 22:27

@terry_hurlock: totally agree, its so tiring , reading this bloody site every day doesnt help, i need a break . See you all next season just before the opening game at either fulham or crewe , adios muchachos

• March 15, 2014 at 22:21

Mr holloway, I care nothing for your so called reputation, what I care for a long time time before you come and go is what our football club achieves and not about your ego. I worry for what my team and what we will achieve if the inevitable happens. Having been down the den for 35 years now I guess this is the typical cycle our club undertakes, but to see it happen in such a spineless way sickens me. Enough said.

• March 15, 2014 at 22:27

am i missing something , ollie , its taken u 10 or so games to work out we need a big fella that holds the ball and brings others in to play , the big bloke done more in 20 min than most of our forwards all season , and why is williams playing leftback, and why is garvin taking set pieces when williams is ment to have a foot like awand , 1 minute the argie is at left back next he aint on bench , same as mac , how the hell can we have a team if they dont know who they are next to , its taken a youth player to light up a poor game why aint we used more from the ranks, moro never one a header today for 50 min , we need a set team with a front two and stay with it ollie for the final games , for me stick with big fella , and mac , forget the rest

• March 15, 2014 at 22:45

F*** all this wingeing, I also paid. Well earned bills for this game and thought we should of took the points just can't find the net. The way some people go on on here cracks me up. Fact 12000 each week if we lucky and fact ginger wan##r put us here with his amature formation and lack of giving a s****. Wind it in and get behind Ollie and what's left of a millwall unit. Ps. The new lump up front looks a signing to me! Coyl till I croak

• March 15, 2014 at 23:17

Generally I sit up till 3am in the mornings watching the score on my iPad and last night I was desperately searching for millwalls 0 to turn yellow indicating a goal. Needless to say, I was out of luck and out of patience. I will tell you this though, I've grown to love this club and although I feel like breaking things and strangling people I wouldn't have it any other way. We are in a battle together, all of us and I know I'm with the right crew. Millwall forever pride of south London.

• March 15, 2014 at 23:42

@grassgrower: keep the optimism up barry, its hard to stay positive in this hemisphere !

• March 16, 2014 at 00:23

@thecolumbusblock: yeh rich, I've always found the best part about sport at any level is the mate ship and camaraderie . Winning will be so much sweeter after the battle. Cheers mate, hope to see you in a few weeks.

• March 15, 2014 at 23:20

Need to start facing league 1 and the financial constraints that will bring. Get rid of McDonald, DJ, Dunne, Robbo, chaplow, the argie, hoyte... And Moro, don't even think about signing him if he's on offer. Blood the youngsters now, just look at Fred today. The giant played well when he came on I thought, get him for free, he won't be on mega bucks and will do well in league 1...... Season ticket already bought for next year. Onwards and upwards aye.... And what makes me laugh was hearing some say to his mates on the way out, that was a waist of money, won't be coming again this season, his mate said, you've only been once...... Plastic supporters can do one. Coyl.

• March 15, 2014 at 23:46

@les the lion:

there were a fair few annoying once a year merchants there today - it has always been that way - plus whenever we get those types in we tend to play s*** and lose them for another season - you have to say only the masochists will show up for Brum- let alone travel to Leeds (good luck to those fearless folk)
      5 home games left - we need all we can get for those - the club might need to announce a deal for Birmngham or Donny

• March 16, 2014 at 12:04

@les the lion: Haha! plastic supporters... a.k.a '1 game a season c**ts! was nice to see the den full up though... shame these 'so-called' millwall fans don't come to a few more games- maybe it would amount to football worth watching!?!?

• March 15, 2014 at 23:28

On a different issue, does anyone have a problem like mine.

I normally but 5 season tickets, 1 adult, 1 senior and two teenagers and one junior. Cost this season around £650 to £700 for seats in the BK lower. In fact my old dear has Alzheimer's and I only take her to get her out if the care home she is in.

I have just worked out that it will rise to just shy of a grand next year.

Think that's a little steep, was expecting £750ish.

Guess that is five tickets the club will not sell next year!

• March 15, 2014 at 23:40

@bonnie1272: that's a pretty steep increase for potentially a lower division - the club should address this - contact them , might be interesting to hear their response

• March 16, 2014 at 00:23

@timchimes: it's on my list of things to do mate. I will let you know the reply.

• March 15, 2014 at 23:52

@bonnie1272: might be cos part of the bi lower was junior lions. Now it's changed, it's more expensive. I had the Same choice to make. Stayed in the bk

• March 16, 2014 at 00:29

I accept that Les, but what's different from this year to next, the bk lower was £48 for teenagers. That's now £145 for next season. Bit more than the 4% they claimed.

If memory recalls, the whole ground was £23 or £48 for juniors. The increase is for all areas from what I have seen with the exception of the family area.

My problem is the old lady can't do the stairs anymore:

How do we encourage the next generation?

• March 16, 2014 at 08:05

@bonnie1272: it's because they don't want juniors anywhere other than in the junior lions bit.... So they can charge more money for an adult seat in lower bk..... Dont get me wrong, I think it's completely wrong, but I don't wanna sit up in block 13 14..... I will be writing to the club too.

• March 18, 2014 at 19:35

@les the lion: les, have you consulted the MSC?

• March 15, 2014 at 23:36

Miserable lot on this site. What are you honestly expecting Ollie to do?!!!! It is a s*** squad and would be even worse without him in charge. I think this site is a good representation of the new 'kneejerk' fan. When we lose we get 50 comments on how the board and Ollie know nothing but when we win, we get 50 comments saying how much of a God Holloway is. Get a grip and get real. Our squad is s*** and that's the problem - not the manager. I can't understand why you all have such high expectations when our squad is full of has-beens and injury prone muppets with a Millwall core (Jimmy, Robbo, Dunne etc.) who aren't good enough for this level. Unbelievable Jeff.

• March 15, 2014 at 23:58

@harryfabian:

certainly true that the bulk of the squad IH inherited were substandard - has unloaded some and brought in better players on the whole with very little transfer outlay (Upson and Williams hardly big signings) The other loanees IH has brought in except DJ most problem are not on a fortune compared to Lomas' players - so yes IH has improved things in line with the money we have spent - it doesn't matter how good you are as a manger you can't win matches without the talent - he is stuck with the chaplow, bailey martin etc wages - players he can't get rid of to free up salaries - so lets get on with it and stop being too negative - we can beat teams in the last 10 games

• March 16, 2014 at 09:27

@timchimes:

with regards to the IH merits debate...I think the mosttelling comment since the match is the fellas brother over from Ireland who said he was watching 11 strangers..bang on...there was no cohesion, no unity, no purpose going forward....there can be meit in defeat if the basics are performed and a solid foundation. It was like watching park football. Nothing to do with who IH inherited they carry his mantra on to the field...he has to motivate them, and guide them, there is no system and for that he has to take the can.....that is the managers responsibility

• March 16, 2014 at 11:01

@tonytowneronthewing: I agree with you , it is far from good football, but as I said above we just don't have the personnel with the quality and composure - you saw the countless times that balls fell to players in space and you thought go on knock a quick ball or surge forward into a gap or hold it and wait for support or shoot first time and so often the wrong decision was made or the players didn't have the physical attributes and technique to exploit the opportunities. You don't have to coach that too much to good players ; they just do it. The bottom line is we have tried to buy experience through too many loans (many of them crocks) and not spent any money outright on proven players. As others have said 41 players for a season is a joke. - good players pick themselves.

I feel a lot of sympathy for IH - step back and look at what he has had to deal with - out of our loanees who cost money only morison has been available for an extended period - he can't unload them and so is limited in who he can bring in - he had disruptive elements in trotter and feeney which he has dealt with . He had very little or no quality in squad players marquis abdou smith wright etc all on contracts (no lower clubs have come in for those players on loan bcoz they know they are limited) . Upson Williams and Fredericks might not be great but they are improvements on what we had - not all signings can work- look at any club; they have their duds, but with the bigger clubs it doesn't matter , they just get more - look how Leicester can afford not to play Chris Wood; he was our star

of course I am frustrated by our lack of goals - we all keep thinking it must chage and maybe we will get a few breaks in front of goal - I has been painful watching at home matches over nearly two years but we have got to stick at it and stop whining

• March 16, 2014 at 11:27

@timchimes:

I can not remember ever leaving the ground as demoralised as I did yesterday ...physical pain....and ive seen some bad times ....my over riding concern is that our problems were highlighted 10 years ago by Dennis Wise we reached mid table tier 2 and would not kick on...Kenny did what he could and had to move on.... we have been a shambles since.....people keep saying Berylson has been good but really in relative terms the money has not flooded into the club...people say he is extremely wealthy....maybe proposed developments were his carrott ....interesting to see what happens now that has gone. How much pasion can he have from so far away we need some Millwall fans with money to buy the club and plot a long term course.....for something to be as rotten as it is at the moment the problems must start at the top and work their way down . I think that time will tell that KJ SL and IH for all their relative shortcomings were swimming against the tide anyway....the apathy within the club is tangible and alas even getting to the fans now....fan on the board should be pulling his hair out

• March 16, 2014 at 15:39

@timchimes: Totally agree Tim, on the part of your comment about us using 41 players for the season- there's an interesting graph in 'the sun' showing how many players premiership teams have used this season....
            'Fulham = 36
            Cardiff = 30
            Sunderland = 30
            Palarse = 30
            Chelsea = 25
            Liverpool = 25
            Man city = 23

• March 16, 2014 at 01:51

We desperately need a manager take-over this summer. I`m fed up with the negative thinking of Jackett, Lomas and now this clown Holloway. Millwall should be a midtable or above Championship Club. I love our Club, and I hate to witness this downfall. I remember the good times under Mcghee, before he lost the plot.

• March 16, 2014 at 02:06

Just got in still baffled by holloways tactics. Can't work out why Williams was playing left bk. When we had other options. Like Lowry or the Argie & beevers. Then he puts the hof on & him & morro looked good. Then puts the midget on & moves morro to the wing. U got it wrong put your hands up instead of talking s***

• March 16, 2014 at 09:28

@block 28:

Can anyone explain to me why Garvan was on the pitch....we would have been better off with ten men

• March 16, 2014 at 07:16

It has been an unbelievably frustrating season to say the least. However I do think Holloway is the right man to carry us forward, regardless of which league we are playing in next season. I am aware he seems to make some strange choices at times, but I think that applies to most managers. Although he has brought in a number of players already, I think they were brought here just to try and keep us up, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Next season should be when Ollie is judged.

• March 16, 2014 at 09:20

@harry2310: Totally agree. To some extent he has steadied the ship. For example, 13 games, 3 clean sheets. Goals conceded in same period = 10 (1.1/game). Goals conceded prior to this period = 49 (2.04/game). A better defense can be built on, but we just cannot score and I do not think there is enough time in the season left to correct this. Holloway can hardly be blamed for a rot which clearly started some 14 months before. He is the man for next season and more than likely in 3rd tier.

• March 16, 2014 at 09:14

Just heard that Prostrate Cancer not going to be associated with Millwall anymore as they have found out that the players have no balls. Marie Curie are going to our next sponsors.

• March 16, 2014 at 09:21

Let's reload and go to leeds with all guns blazing. There's still life in the lions. Good joke 2 aire!

• March 16, 2014 at 10:09

Disappointing performance and a disappointing atmosphere yesterday. Lots of doom and gloom but in hindsight we could have quite easily have had all 3 points. The Austrian lad made a difference when he came on (albeit bit too early) and looked like a tidy player, he came close with a header but then missed an absolute sitter from two yards out.... The team look much more organised and solid but overall still playing with too much fear and should have been pinning that charlton s*** in for the last 45 minutes. Ultimately think it's too little too late, if we can't start scoring we wont pick up enough points and to hope the window lickers lose all four of their games in hand is a massive long shot.... Today my heads telling me we are going down!

• March 16, 2014 at 10:27

@davesavagesleftfoot: Just had a look at the window lickers fixture list and on a plus point they have a tougher end to the season than us with 5games against current promotion chasers burnley, forest, derby, reading and brighton so there is a small amount of hope but hate to leave our fate in their hands?!!

• March 16, 2014 at 10:13

Just read Ollie statement utter b******

• March 16, 2014 at 10:47

Make no mistake about holloway he is definitely a donut short of a picnic but the man has always been like that!! We all new this b4 he came here but he was my choice for the job and I think long term he will come good..the squad is as strong as we've ever had player for player but for 1 reason or another its not worked out I for 1 just cant get my head round it! Keep expecting to smash a team by 4 or 5 and ten see our season take off but each game is just soul destroying! Who knows wat will happen come may but 1 things for sure I'll b millwall til I die COYL Miiiiiiiilll

• March 16, 2014 at 10:57

Holloway is a joke he talks utter crap left The Den feeling so p***** off not going back this season, that game was the worst local derby i have ever seen both teams were very very poor. Have a good summer people be back when Holloway goes.

• March 16, 2014 at 11:17

@aylesfordlion:

we are all p***** off - it is easy to walk away when things are going badly - I don't know why people get so fixated by what managers say - Mourhino talks all kinds of b******* - just ignore it and follow your team

• March 16, 2014 at 13:41

@timchimes: You're right to a degree Tim but if like me you've never been a fan of Holloway, his comments and diatribes aren't helping. Mourhino backs up his nonsense with success, but in reality that's a different world to where we are. I'd prefer a Manager to let the team do the talking on the pitch.

• March 16, 2014 at 17:47

@lion.ie: true that he says things he shouldn't - much of that is driven these days by constant press conferences - all set up for the media - yes he can to some extent not play the game , but I think his intentions are honourable as opposed to Mourhino who deliberately sets out to offend - lets see what Mourhino wins this year - no title for 2 years with Real with all that money and unlikely to win anything this year I'd say - yes the jury is still out on IH based on the football on the field

• March 16, 2014 at 11:55

@aylesfordlion: This is the most ridiculous comment going, people are quick to forget how s*** we were before IH came to town, we have been in relegation form since Jan 2013 and to expect a man to change that in two months is bonkers?? Jackett left us with a struggling limited squad that managed to stay up only due to other teams failures then Lomas signed half a dozen big earning has beens, so how is our current predicament IHs fault??? I for one think we are improving and if anyone's to blame it's the board for their s*** decisions pre IH and the majority of the squad who have the cheek to call themselves professional footballers.... IH will turn us around eventually but there are no quick fixes people!!

• March 16, 2014 at 11:16

At the game yesterday gutted.the team is more solid in defence and midfield but is paceless. Holloway needs to find a young fast wide player from a

premiership club needing game time to inject pace into attack.an Andy Townsend type of player. We are too predictable at the moment.

• March 16, 2014 at 11:29

completely true - just don't have that Cahiil figure to skip past a player and break into the box - they are hard to come by - unless we want to stump up some serious money - just think if we get bailey chaplow , martin, Jackson an DJ off the wage bill who we could afford - let alone loan out hoyte smith wright etc (but who would have them) -
    On the one hand it would be awful to go down and potentially miss out on a trip to Fulham CP Brentford orient next year but it might be the best in the longer term for a total clear out like Powell did at Charlton - that worked but his board didn't back him with money when they came up - you get away with it for one year sometimes like with us, but over time money talks and the way we have wasted ours this year has been awful - loaning players who are duplicates of players we already have and contracts for Hoyte and so on - We need a new regime - up or down look at next year's team and you will hardly recognise a face from Lomas's team - it takes longer than half a season to sort out the long term mess we have been in

• March 16, 2014 at 16:49

@timchimes: I agree. actually Powell had a rough deal at Charlton, would be a good replacement for IH

• March 16, 2014 at 12:56

@aylesfordlion: with the comment you have posted you are not a proper millwall supporter. Go support a team that wins and does well, leave millwall to us real supporters who take millwall with all their s*** performances, who don't quit when we are doing badly,you won't be missed.

• March 16, 2014 at 13:20

Good to see the fans turning on each other again, everyone has an opinion but there is one certainty, none of us are to blame for this mess but we all have to live with it. Everybody else involved can walk away, including Holloway.

• March 16, 2014 at 13:24

Win,Lose or draw Ollie is the man WHO can turn Millwall around,Ok we did not win yesterday there again we did not lose,If or when we go down come the end of the season there will be a good clean out and in the summer new players that will want to be part of millwall.
    Do you lot who moan,winge or whine week in week out really feel your helping the cause your not and if half of you knew ANY thing about football then why aint you coaching or managing a team.
    For peters sake give Ollie a chance its Ian Holloway not jesus Christ .

• March 16, 2014 at 14:27

@colin66: Just like JC, Ollie has a cross to bare.

• March 16, 2014 at 15:14

@AireLys: At least Jesus was able to get his head on the end of a cross!

• March 16, 2014 at 16:56

@Canterbury pilgrim: LOL Canterbury Pilgrim. Also heard that someone asked him for a miracle so he turned water into wine, healed the blind and rose from the dead, he gave up with Ollie asking for a goal!

• March 16, 2014 at 15:06

First half they wanted it more than us, second half we showed a little bit more fight but if you can't get players up for the biggest derby of the season and in our predicament as well questions have to be asked. The first half showing wasn't anywhere near what I expect from a Millwall side no matter how poor our results have been.

• March 16, 2014 at 18:05

@Bluesman:

we played conservatively in the first half with a view to trying to dominate later - it is what Chelsea do - the days are gone where you can charge around the field kicking people for 90 mins- it is not about effort or desire - it is about quality / class - we just don't have match winners - we have a limited squad who can get results sometimes if things go our way - not ideal but true - if we get behind them instead of whinging and wondering why we aren't Arsenal, then perhaps we might get the 4 wins we need

• March 16, 2014 at 15:28

I'd appreciate his comments more if he said something on the lines of 'most of the players who were here before I came are s*** . .Most of the ones who have brought in are s*** and collectively none of them could give a f*** whether we went down anyway, that's why they play the way they do'

• March 16, 2014 at 15:31

One good thing to come out of yesterday was Fred he was the only thing worth the entrance fee. Well done

• March 16, 2014 at 18:31

I agree that the performances haven't set the world on fire but he has had to work with what hes got. That spam c**t already did the damage now IH has been brought in to TRY and keep us up. We are playing the best football ive seen in a long time and the defence has defo looked a lot more solid since he took over, just lack a clinical striker. Lay off the bloke! He has as much passion for this club and us fans than anyone else we could of hoped for. We were s*** from the first game of the season and the situation we are in now is not cos of IH, stick with him and the team. They need us now more than ever. Let's get back to being real wall...

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!

• March 16, 2014 at 19:14

I agree we should backi IH he is our manager and he will turn the playing style around even if we go down we need stability not another manager to bring another load of back room staff we had five years with KJ.

• March 16, 2014 at 19:04

B*****, forgot to do predictions this week!? I'd be dangerous if I had a brain.
    COYL do the Weeds

• March 17, 2014 at 00:02

Sounds like IH has given up the fight already. Maybe he was told from the off, dont worry if we get relegated, you will then have two years to have a complete clear out, get rid of all the high earners and base a new team around a few of the youngsters at the club and bring in players who are on the way up and will not demand a fortune in wages. It would certainly explain some of the decisions I H has made, such as playing Williams left back and total refusal to play 4-4-2 and insisting on 1-3-2-3-1-1 or whatever it is he is playing. Pick up on other comments, thought Fred was excellent yesterday, at 17, is just what we need, feared no one and got stuck in and wasn't afraid to try things out. The Austrian was also good, can hold a ball up, not seen that too much since Chopper left, surprisingly good with his feet, need to player wingers to float a few crosses in to see how good he is with his head. As for those who have been saying thats it im off and not renewing my season ticket, every one gets angry at what is happening and ive been in tears a few times over the past 50 years, but Wall is my team and i'll support them whatever league they are in, and who ever is managing or playing for them. The one constant in this is us, the fans. We will still be here after all of the IH's and players are long gone. COYL forever.

• March 17, 2014 at 00:51

I said after the brighton defeat that if we win our home games & win one away we should be safe..we won the away game..was it to much to ask to beat that shower of crap...now not only do we have to win the rest of our home games.we have to get another win away ( weeds would be nice )..or do we ...the teams below & above are not setting the world on fire

• March 17, 2014 at 08:31

@rikkiatwall: saw some highlights of the big Austrian on YouTube and when he smashed a goal he got the big psycho eyes going. Looked impressive, he,s a big unit and jeez , who knows , he can do some stuff with the ball. Funny if he goes on a rampage and surprises us all.

• March 17, 2014 at 08:05

Your reputation will suffer when you took over we were fifth from bottom. You have brought in 7 players (8 if you count the Austrian) some on huge wages. We are no better than when you took over maybe worse. If I gave you that scenario before you started how would you describe yourself. Success or Failure.

• March 17, 2014 at 08:56

@markbrowns: Your four lines of writing sum up it up nicely.

• March 17, 2014 at 08:59

That depends do you want the long answer or not so long anwser

• March 17, 2014 at 08:49

Whatever you read on message boards the football under Holloway is better but we just can't click up front at all.
    Watching Morison & whoever chasing shadows & being marked out the game is painful.No final ball & crossing & set pieces are p*** poor.
    We seem to be playing like a team who need to get relegated to get their confidence back.
    Looks more likely that will happen now.

• March 17, 2014 at 09:06

@Millwallsteve: with the changes that need to be made to this squad it is no surprise that we are whee we are. We are playing much better possession football but the lack of quality on the final pass and strikers that are so low on confidence that they cannot hit the target means it is highly unlikely we will stay up. Relegation followed by rebuilding will secure our future, the damage was done over the last two seasons when we failed to get the right players into the squad and now have a group that lack spirit. I have total faith that Ollie will bring us back up playing a better brand of football.

• March 17, 2014 at 09:22

If we do go down just watch the rats leave the sinking s***.& i dont mean just the players i'am talking about the glory hunting fans who call themselves fans when we're doing well...i for one will be at the den next year...

• March 17, 2014 at 11:26

@Jim28: that's good Jim I for one have already renewed my season ticket. Which players are you talking about. I believe the only person you have to worry about leaving is JB

• March 18, 2014 at 19:46

@Jim28:

Yeh, the 30k "I've always supported Millwall" brigade who turn out for Wembley once every few years . .

• March 18, 2014 at 08:25

The question we have to ask ourselves is if Holloway had said during his job interview; 'I can't save you this year, but if we go down I'll have a go at playing better football and try and get us up next year' would he have got the job? I doubt it very much. It's not like he came in with half a dozen games to go. We were not a basket case when he joined. Managers are paid to get results; the board hired him to maintain our status because to go down would be a financial disaster for us. Other clubs; palarse, wednesday, sheff utd; they have changed their manager and to a greater or lesser extent changed their clubs fortunes. They have made tweaks here and there but they have not been able to make wholesale changes. IMO a good manager gets the most out of what he's got, not complain about not having 'raisins', not insist on a way of playing that appears to be beyond the ability of the players we've got currently, not change 'tactics' (I use the word loosely) every ten minutes.

• March 19, 2014 at 14:52

Adsy - spot on.

• March 19, 2014 at 14:55

Very good.....does anybody apart from the lesser parts of the world read this if not WHY NOT