No room for sentiment as Millwall boss returns to old club

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL manager Ian Holloway insists he will put sentiment to one side when he faces old club Blackpool tonight.

Holloway took the Tangerines to the Premier League during three-and-a-half years in charge at Bloomfield Road but says he is determined to get one over his former employers.

The 50-year-old, who left his job at Blackpool in November 2012, suffered a 1-0 defeat with Crystal Palace when he returned to the Fylde coast last season.

He said: "I'm not sentimental about going back, why would I be? Blackpool weren't even the last club I managed.

"At the end of the day, I'm going up there with my new team to try and do something that might upset them. We're trying to catch them up in the table."

Nevertheless, Holloway looks back on his time at Blackpool with great fondness.

"Football is like the weather sometimes," he added. "Jimmy Armfield sent me a letter after I left, thanking me for the wonderful days in the sun. That's what it felt like.

"We had a wonderful period of our football lives together. I enjoyed it and so did the fans, but I can assure you they don't particularly like you after you've gone.

"It was a good time football-wise for me and I tried to leave them in a better situation than the one I found them in and I think I did that.

"I tried to give them things they hadn't seen before, which was a team that wanted the ball and played the right way. I enjoyed the squad we put together.

"But that was then and this is now, and I am enjoying my time at Millwall and hopefully we can turn the corner."

Pool were top of the Championship after the first month of the season but have not won a game this year and are sliding down the table at an alarming rate.

The Lions can move within one point of Barry Ferguson's side with victory on Tuesday, but Holloway said: "I'd take their points right now.

"They've got 35 already and are four points better off than us. We'd swap places with them in a heartbeat.

"Blackpool's recent form is irrelevant because our recent form, points-wise, hasn't been that good either.

"It is just the way things have come about for them because they had all those wins at the start of the season but they've lost Tom Ince and Matt Phillips.

"So what do you expect? If you take those two out of your team, you have got a totally different dynamic.

"It is a terrible journey for us, far too quick to turn things around and it should never have been a midweek game. But that's life and it will be the same for other teams."

12 thoughts on “No room for sentiment as Millwall boss returns to old club

• March 11, 2014 at 08:13

The bottom line here is that the FA do not want Millwall supporters in Blackpool on a Saturday night.

• March 11, 2014 at 08:15

Olly show them no mercz & lets get another priceless win then we can smash the anoraks...good to hear lowry could play some more goals from morro would be nice

• March 11, 2014 at 08:15

Chris Powell just been sacked by the train spotters

• March 11, 2014 at 08:17

@millwalllighterman: That's been coming for a while. Let's hope they give the job to Lomas.

• March 11, 2014 at 08:33

@NICKOLA: Not necessarily a good thing given their games in hand, new manager and all that.......

• March 11, 2014 at 08:40

@lion.ie: Yep, I said so a couple of weeks ago. Millwall need to try to catch those above them to drag them into it, rather than hope and pray Yeovil, Charlton and Barnsley keep dropping points. They've all got games in hand on us.
          At the end of the day our destiny is in our own hands.

• March 11, 2014 at 08:43

@lion.ie: they have a game either to nite or tomorrow .. I dont think there have a manager before next week..downside he was a s*** manager

• March 11, 2014 at 09:45

@Jim28: They've got Huddersfield at home tomorrow night. Jose Riga has just been named as their new manager. A Belgian.

• March 11, 2014 at 09:51

Winning or at the very least drawing is the way forward, the boys have proved recently that their best is good enuf to match it with anyone and even with the injuries they got that winning grin now. That backed by the finest group of supporters ( upstanding citizens that we are) in England will get us through! I feel like a beer! Onwards to Blackpool for some fun in the sun!

• March 11, 2014 at 10:01

Against Derby we had lost one more than them overall in History,so evened it up Saturday.Funnily enough we have lost one more than Blackpool so a win tonight for the Lions would also even it up !
    But what worries me is when we play a team on a long run without winning (Blackpool 18 games) we are the ones to break that run.Saying all that I think tonight will end in a draw,before Saturdays MUST win game.

• March 11, 2014 at 11:18

We got to look at Blackpool as being our hardest game of the season. Can't rest on the derby result.

• March 11, 2014 at 12:35

I'm not sure whether I'm being bold, optimistic or just plain nutty ... but we are going to win tonight and score TWO in the process ... after all isn't it about time we scored more than 1 goal in a match??!! Got to go quite a way back to find that ... December 14th away at Blackburn when we lost 3 - 2 ... 16 matches ago! Tonight and this coming Saturday v Charlton will define where we end up at the end of the season I think. Whatever position we're in, in the table after those 2 matches is where I think we'll end up. Better get some points then.