Midfielder Williams vows his best is yet to come at Millwall

© Nicky Hayes
© Nicky Hayes

SHAUN Williams has enjoyed making the step up to the Championship but says Millwall fans are yet to see the best of him.

Williams has impressed for the Lions since making his £250,000-move from MK Dons and came second in the club's player of the month poll for February.

The 27-year-old has vowed to keep improving and believes playing more games with new midfield partner Ed Upson will help him get better.

He said: "I'm really enjoying playing with Ed. He is my type of player because he likes to get the ball down and pass it.

"I think we have a good understanding already and it's only going to get stronger the more games play together.

"I've found the step up to the Championship okay but I still know I can do a lot more.

"The first couple of weeks have been enjoyable and disappointing at the same time for me. I am enjoying the challenge of playing in this division, and I believe I'll only get better."

Millwall now face a daunting trip to third-placed Derby County after back-to-back defeats, but Williams says performances have been improving in recent weeks.

"Our defensive shape looks a lot stronger and we are conceding less goals than we were, but it's been a bit frustrating in front of goal," he said.

"I think we need a bit of luck really and the boys need a bit of confidence too. I'm certain that if we get the rub of the green, we'll start banging them in.

"There are 39 points left to play for and we have still got to play a few of the teams around us at home.

"We have got Derby next and they are in a good run of form, and obviously we are at the opposite end of the table, but we need to enjoy the game and focus on creating chances.

"We have been improving as a team over the last couple of weeks. Derby like to play fluid football and that might open up a few gaps for us to exploit."

8 thoughts on “Midfielder Williams vows his best is yet to come at Millwall

• March 7, 2014 at 11:24

Get into it Shaun go hard and remember, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Goals will be the only answer to our problems.

• March 7, 2014 at 11:26

Don't get too comfortable in the championship, you might be playing your old team next season

• March 7, 2014 at 12:18

Why is derby a daunting trip. Now Madrid or Barcelona yes. Derby never 3pts for the wall sat.

• March 7, 2014 at 12:37

@block 28: I think he must be talking about the road works just before the LeicesterForest Services on the M1, not the Derby County side that beat us at the Den 5-1 surley not, no need to worry we will be alright. As soon as Ollie finally gets the 2 new strickers he has been talking about.

He already has a pair at the club they dont normally play up front but with the right coaching they could do like at Gareth Bale he stated off as a full back, its staring him in the face its Smith & Shittu nuff said.

• March 7, 2014 at 12:56

get stuck in.hopely get some points

• March 7, 2014 at 13:16

I remember when we first got holloway u lot were up his a*** complete an utter c**** on this site the same c**** who will be straight bk up his a*** when someone gets an hyding mugs the lot of ya

• March 7, 2014 at 16:08

@Borough wall: I still am up his crevice, no matter what. He is not at fault. I would take attacking football any day of the week

• March 7, 2014 at 20:14

Williams is definitely one of the better new additions to the club. Really like what I've seen from this lad- comfortable on the ball, picks his passes, hits the target from free kicks and works hard... GO ON MY SON! - Make a name for yourself and bang in one of those free kicks!!! MIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL !!!