Millwall loanee: Holloway rift was blown out of proportion

©
©

OWEN Garvan has claimed that his so-called falling out with Ian Holloway was blown totally out of proportion.

Garvan hit the headlines last September when he seemed to criticise Holloway for leaving him out of Crystal Palace's 25-man squad for the Premier League.

He posted on Twitter: "I'll be here longer then he will…trust me."

But the midfielder, who was reunited with his former Eagles boss when he moved to The Den on loan last week, has hinted that he may not have been referring to Holloway.

"People in the media assumed a lot of things – there was never any fact behind it, but that's probably what sells papers," Garvan told the Southwark News.

"People take things on Twitter the way they want to take them. I put myself out there so I suppose I only have myself to blame.

"There has never been a problem between me and Ollie – we're always chatting about tactics because we're both football people and care about winning.

"Disputes are part and parcel of every club and every walk of life."

Garvan added: "I wasn't surprised that Ollie called me.

"The option came up and I wanted to play and feel part of the dressing room.

"I took a day or two to think about it and there was some talk of me going elsewhere, but I wanted to come to Millwall."

Holloway also downplayed his reported bust up with Garvan and added that he was thrilled to have re-signed the 26-year-old.

"Owen wants to play football and to play in every single game," the Lions manager said.

"At the time I told him that, if he was in my 25-man squad, he would be on the bench from time to time."

"He was a bit angry and upset and he said he didn't want that. As a manager you have to bare that in mind and give people what they want – and sometimes you can be wrong.

"At the end of the day, I know what we need here and I think he's perfect for us. I'm glad he agrees with me and I can't wait to work with him again."

27 thoughts on “Millwall loanee: Holloway rift was blown out of proportion

• March 7, 2014 at 09:49

Who really gives a s**t what you have to say...excuses excuses

• March 7, 2014 at 09:53

@Jim28: I think we all give a s**t because he is the Millwall Manager whether we like it or not.... don't think we would get a better manager.

Owen is a good player and was instrumental in getting Palarse promoted so I'm happy to hear what he has to say Sunny Jim!

Smille, cheer up for once.... it won't hurt to smile

• March 7, 2014 at 10:18

@Bradders: no we all are not interested wot this palarse scum has to say..plus i didn't mentinn the manager he did..he can sugar coat all he likes ( cos he has to )..more thing i'am not your son & never would i like to be..

• March 7, 2014 at 10:45

@Jim28: I didn't say you was my son, but might have been good if you was as I'd protect you from your predatory uncle!

• March 7, 2014 at 11:16

@Bradders: sounds like someone had a rough childhood...wot a f**king w*****.,.

• March 7, 2014 at 11:44

@Jim28: haha it's all a bit of banter, get off my fishing line mate.... typical though having to resort to name calling rather than firing something back at me.

• March 7, 2014 at 09:51

Thats really interesting stu zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzSorry nodded off.

• March 7, 2014 at 09:56

It's sort of believable that they probably shitcanned each other and now have a sort of brother marries sister awkwardness bout their relationship but , this is millwall!!! This is a serious club and put whatever f***** crap in the past behind you both and let's get this show on the road before we all become completely irrelevant.

• March 7, 2014 at 10:08

Thanks Aldo for deleting my post.... why can't you take a bit of criticism and a bit of thought behind the website??

Maybe because you won't make enough money from it?

• March 7, 2014 at 10:17

@Bradders: If you have a complaint Bradders, please email us. That is not what the comment section is for. Thanks.

Edit: here's my email, alex@newsatden.co.uk - drop me a line.

• March 7, 2014 at 10:40

@Alex Aldridge: It's not a complaint, it's seeing what the fans want....

If I e-mail you, all you will do is brush it under the carpet and not change how many "non stories" are written, because that would change the amount of money the website and you earn.

• March 7, 2014 at 10:54

@Bradders: Seeing as you won't email me, I'll respond on here.

The purpose of the site, which has been the same from day one, has been to cover everything and anything. Sometimes stories are less hard-hitting than others, of course they are, and in a relegation battle that can upset people. The coverage wouldn't be any different if we were top of the league, and there wouldn't be any complaints about non-stories then!

Re: earning money. You are getting a service for nothing. It's free to read. I don't understand how you can feel ripped off. At the moment, the site is running at a loss. We could write less and earn more by charging a membership fee, but we really don't want to do that.

• March 7, 2014 at 11:06

@Alex Aldridge: Alex, I agree with some aspects of what you have said.

It has been said on here many times before (and not just by me) that some articles are needless and actually portray our manager as someone who "talks the talk" and "needs to put all this talk into practice/action" but this is only because you are writing up articles constantly.... it's all about perception and it doesn't look good for our team & manager.

There wasn't once where I said I'm feeling ripped off, so not sure where you got that from???? I like many just want good articles about our club on a regular basis, not the needless articles which are posted every hour on the hour (perception again).

What about coming up with catchy title for articles, like "International Striker Injured" (hey I'm no journo)... then you would have fans of other clubs looking at them on NewsNow, meaning you could write less articles because you would have a higher volume of readers..... just a thought.

• March 7, 2014 at 11:14

@Bradders: Like I said though, this bad feeling is based on results. Should the manager not be quoted because the team is losing? Ollie went on Lions Live last night and covered a lot of the content that's been on the site this week. The perception would be even worse if he said nothing! This seems like a case of shooting the messenger...

• March 7, 2014 at 11:26

@Alex Aldridge: Alex, if we was top of the league and flying I would want exactly the same as if we were bottom, the perception of our Manager being focussed and just want a few articles a week which have substance.

You have said on here before that you have a quick 20 minute call with Holloway to get the latest news, not sure how you are the messenger if you call him and report what he has said, your choice to post an article, not his!

You do go out and look for articles don't you, or is that not what you are paid to do?

You can tell Ollie knows his stuff and what he is trying to do, but just look at some of the comments on posts..... lots of "less talk, more action", which only comes from articles on here and makes Holloway look like a clown with having to come up with a new article for you and the media every 5 minutes which some fans get bored of and some frustrated with as its the perception of less time focussed on players and more time with the media.

• March 7, 2014 at 11:41

@Bradders: This is why I'd prefer for you to email me. I'm not going to clog up the comments section going back and forth on this.

• March 7, 2014 at 14:03

@Alex Aldridge: Say again Bradders mate ..chill out take a pill

• March 7, 2014 at 10:10

Let's see some of this talk translated to results on the pitch before its too late.

• March 7, 2014 at 10:18

all this s*** talk.do your talking on the pitch

• March 7, 2014 at 11:09

If it was sorted why would u come on here & bring it up again. We don't want to no. Everybody knows wot was said. Move on & do your talking on the pitch.

• March 7, 2014 at 11:23

@block 28: make you right ...he's not south african is he

• March 7, 2014 at 12:43

This week from the derby game to the Charlton game we need 6pts out of 9. It's time they showed a bit of care of why they are getting paid has if we went into work like that we would be fired!!!

• March 7, 2014 at 13:18

I like all the feedback keep it up aldo

• March 7, 2014 at 15:18

@ALDO: I come on this site to read what ANYBODY has to say, I am always happy to read what YOU put on here, so please carry on doing what you are doing, it keeps me informed and up to date,and I am always interested. If bradders and co don't like what you put on here why the hell do they read it. I just don't get this attitude at all. Well done ALDO, keep it coming and thank you.

• March 7, 2014 at 18:28

....he,gets on my tits that is.