4-4-2 not an option since Millwall sold Henry, Ollie says

©
©

MILLWALL don't have the right players in their squad to play a 4-4-2 formation, manager Ian Holloway believes.

Some Lions fans have called for a back-to-basics approach from their side as they bid to secure Championship football for another season.

Holloway, who does not play with traditional wingers, admits Millwall need to improve the quality of their crosses into the box, but he is not about to abandon his tactical beliefs.

"I don't think too many teams are used to playing 4-3-3 as we have been doing, but I don't think 4-4-2 is an option for us having lost James Henry to Wolves," the Lions boss said.

"I am used to having more movement and getting more rotation in those wide areas, and that's something we're working on. That's an ongoing situation.

"I had Yannick Bolasie and Wilfied Zaha at Crystal Palace, and at Blackpool I had Tom Ince and Matt Phillips with Seamus Coleman and Stephen Crainey as the full backs bombing on.

"We are working with two young lads (Scott Malone and Ryan Fredericks) who are doing well, they're improving and giving us width."

But Holloway added: "Henry was our best crosser of the ball and we lost him.

"You can't argue with that fact. That's nothing against the lads we've got because they can get good deliveries into the box."

One winger who has been left out of Millwall's squad for recent matches is Lee Martin, who Holloway explained has been asked to improve on certain aspects of his game.

He said: "Lee is working on one or two things. It's no good me believing things about him if he doesn't believe them himself.

"I have asked him to look at himself and he's doing that. Hopefully he will get over some of the damage that has been done by Manchester United earlier in his career.

"The boy is coming along well and I'm really excited about his future development, whether that's with us or someone else.

"Every one of our individuals has got to blend into the team structure and the team unit.

"Providing I see what I'm looking for, players will get into my team. Lee knows exactly what I want to do and I can confidently say that he is having a right good go at doing it.

"His training this week has been as good as anything I have seen from him, even when I had him at Plymouth. That bodes well."

24 thoughts on “4-4-2 not an option since Millwall sold Henry, Ollie says

• March 6, 2014 at 09:59

dont see why you cant use woolford on one wing and martin on the other

• March 6, 2014 at 10:09

We don't have the right players to play 4-4-2. Why was this not resolved during the transfer window or using the loan system. We only have one winger who apparently has gone off to find his real self after suffering damage whilst at Manchester United. What could they have possibly have done to him??? Then IH says that when he has sorted out his head, his future may or may not lay with us.
    If we then do not have a winger who can put in good crosses, why does he play Feeney.
    Sorry, I like Holloway, but I think its about time he kept such things to himself, it makes him look stupid, if he has not got anything worthwhile to say then keep quiet.

• March 6, 2014 at 10:36

@rikkiatwall: so we sacked one clown and got a bigger one

• March 6, 2014 at 10:48

@Jim28: I am not sure I would go as far as a clown, But do you hear other managers talking so often about Weakness's, Strength's, Tactics and even personal stuff about players. Not too good in my mind.

• March 6, 2014 at 14:55

@Jim28: Trouble is, it's not funny anymore!

• March 6, 2014 at 18:07

@Adsy77777: I always found him entertaining when he managed someone else but now he's here it's wearing very thin.

• March 6, 2014 at 18:29

@Sealion: A bit like Jo Brand - mildly amusing but you wouldn't want to wake up next to her every morning.

• March 6, 2014 at 10:22

It seems to be one excuse after another and after a while it gets tiring..if he can't get the best out of Feeney then why did Freeman get the best from him at Bolton...once the shine wears off you can see the real article and 40 players used in one disasterous season does no bode well...cut the crap statements we hear, keep quiet and do the job you are paid to do

• March 6, 2014 at 10:48

If thats the way that he plays (4-3-3) then why bring in two out and out strikers Campbell and Jackson and use them playing out wide, they are not going to score from being out wide. We certainly do not have the players to play his preferred formation as we have only won one game since he took over. I still think that we need to revert back to a 4-4-2 formation, can't be any worse than we are doing now. As the old saying goes "if you don't give it a try, you'll never find out"

• March 6, 2014 at 11:01

I agree some of the articles are becoming trivial but also think if you don't want to read what IH has to say then then don't log onto this site?? For me IH makes a fair point here. During the game against Brighton it seemed to take an age to get the ball into wide positions meaning Brighton always had plenty of cover for our attacks and then when we did eventually get the ball to crossing positions the final ball put in we're disgusting bad and the two guilty parties were Malone and Fredrick's !!! For me Malone was woeful, on the occasions he did make positive runs he either held the ball up way too long and got tackled or he put crosses in that ballooned high and wide.... Both men need to produce more accuracy otherwise we'll continue our form of struggling to score!!!

• March 6, 2014 at 18:44

@davesavagesleftfoot: There is a marked difference between being interested in what the Manager of team you have followed all your life has to say and agreeing with what he says. So I'll carry on logging on and reading the horse sh*t that this show pony keeps spilling out and not agreeing with it. It's my opinion and I hope I am wrong about him for all of our sake, but so far there is nothing to suggest otherwise from where I sit.
      The other teams have stopped sending scouts to our games as Mr Holloway gives them all they need.

• March 6, 2014 at 18:44

@davesavagesleftfoot: There is a marked difference between being interested in what the Manager of team you have followed all your life has to say and agreeing with what he says. So I'll carry on logging on and reading the horse sh*t that this show pony keeps spilling out and not agreeing with it. My opinion, hope I am wrong about him for all of our sake, but so far nothing to suggest otherwise from where I sit.
      The other teams have stopped sending scouts to our games as Mr Holloway gives them all thy need.

• March 6, 2014 at 11:24

4 4 2 is the most common and straight forward formation you can use. If we cant play a basic 4 4 2 system then we are in complete and utter do do....

• March 6, 2014 at 11:45

Cos most other teams play with 5 in midfield and would outnumber and dominate our 4

• March 6, 2014 at 20:27

@bordersarebest0170: Don't Leicester and Burnley both play 442? Do they keep getting outnumbered in mid field?

• March 6, 2014 at 14:57

Some of the damage Man U done? Got to be kidding me.. Then you had him at another club and he was the same... Now you've got him here, dropped him, paying him to sort his head out and might let him go when he does anyway?!?

F me you really are off your head

• March 6, 2014 at 15:31

Henry went ages ago - nearly six months ago. Personally, I blame our current form on Jimmy Carter going to Liverpool.

• March 6, 2014 at 15:34

You can see an improvement in all aspects of the team except the final killer ball. Martins final ball has been awfull Feeney has been even worse. He talks a lot, a bit too much maybe. I just want him to stick with an eleven he thinks can do a job and let us get behind them . Then we'll take what ever comes, I really wish this season would end it's been a nightmare .

• March 6, 2014 at 16:15

IH can chat all day but until he solves the striker problem any formation is worthless.

• March 6, 2014 at 17:29

Never understood why we didn't try and keep Henry as I rated him as a good crosser of the ball but one to deliver dangerous free-kicks. IH has had time and brought in past by sell-by date strikers imo and no means to deliver width when needed. Martin couldn't hit a barn door and the less said about Feeney the better.

We need a miracle.

• March 6, 2014 at 20:20

Then Fu cking loan a player that makes 442 work if that's the solution?? If it's not the solution then the article is pointless isn't it???

Too many loan strikers at the club that we can not accommodate realistically at one time yet we openly admit we have no right side for all to see whilst giving Feeney who by definition is not good enough a new deal?? Am I being thick here guys?

• March 6, 2014 at 21:38

You lot are priceless sometimes... We can't be getting on Holloways back already... He's been handed a tough job, he's come in and putting in his own methods and yeah he has a lot of chat and we all think he has the players but clearly not.. but are we really complaining when we had Lomas who had no clue?
    If we do go down and I don't think we will it's because of Lomas' tactics where we were loosing by 3 goals or more regularly and played players who were out of form

Let's see how the end of the season goes and let him try and work some magic and if not get behind him and win League 1 next year! (but we won't go down)

• March 6, 2014 at 22:00

I like the honesty from Ollie, it's refreshing to have a manager being this open. Players can trust him if he gives them the same message.

• March 7, 2014 at 07:54

The thing I can't get my head around is all the loan players we have. What happens when we finally get a team playing well they return to their parent clubs to either be play , sold on, or put out again on loan.
    Not good for the team to have to rebuild every time this happens, and the more "on loan players" we have the more we have a unstable team. We keep hearing that this is a team game, and a team has to gel, No time what with suspensions, injuries, and other side line activities.