Commercial director explains season ticket price increase

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

ALAN Williams, Millwall's commercial director, has revealed that a four percent increase in season ticket prices was unavoidable.

Lions fans have seen prices rise by, on average, £1 a game for the 2014-15 campaign.

And Williams has said that extra revenue is needed to help the club comply with Financial Fair Play regulations.

He said: "With the club's wage bill rising and FFP coming into effect, we have had to look at increasing season tickets.

"It works out at about £1 per game, per person, so it's not a big increase.

"It's a four percent rise and that helps our finances. A slight increase in revenue will make it a little bit more palatable for the chairman to maintain his current level of investment.

"We have to make money but we're sensitive to the fact that we must offer value for money. An increase after four years without an increase is acceptable I think.

"It's hard telling people that they have to pay more money for something, especially when we haven't had the most exciting of seasons, but prices have only gone up a small amount.

"We haven't put matchday ticket prices up because that happened two years ago and I don't think it would be fair to go above the £30 threshold."

Millwall are promoting next year's season tickets with the motto 'Stronger Together'.

Williams explained: "We want to put a message alongside any announcement we make. This is the first campaign that we're really sending out with a message behind it.

"As everybody knows, this team play better when the fans are behind them. When The Den is really rocking, the atmosphere is second to none.

"What we are trying to say is that if players and fans stick together, we will be stronger. We want to put across that our fans are appreciated and needed.

"It's not just a marketing blurb."

Visit millwalltickets.com for more information on season tickets.

45 thoughts on “Commercial director explains season ticket price increase

• March 4, 2014 at 11:48

so coz our players who don't deserve to even be paid this season are earning so much we the average working class man have to fork out more ? sounds fair! or even worse like me who is struggling to find full time employment. this is the most sickening statement on this page so far this year. and that in it's self is really going some millwall you're gonna lose more and more support like this , my patience is wearing f****** thin and im sure im not the only one! leave the a*** licking out of it as well it don't wash with me anyway it's embarrassing.

• March 4, 2014 at 11:59

Mate, ya hav to pay the players the going rate or there won't be any players and there won't be anything to watch. Increases are s*** especially when ya strugglin and when the teams not winnin it's even more s*** but the clubs gotta pay the bills or they,l wind the joint up.

• March 4, 2014 at 12:55

@grassgrower: this ffp is double standards...cos it dont affect the teams who got relagated from the prem..for two seasons they will still receive in the region of 20 million .making it a rich club poor club leaque..clubs like millwall have to operate on 5 mil..where's the fair in that...so it was obvious tickets would raise cos nxt season we mite have to play 4 more games & there be less season tickets holders

• March 4, 2014 at 13:11

@Jim28: fair point Jim, I'm a long way away and don't get to see a lot of goings on apart from what I read on these pages so respect to you all.

• March 4, 2014 at 18:54

@Jim28: @Jim28:Jim, where are the extra games coming from. 24 teams in the championship and 24 teams in division one.

• March 4, 2014 at 12:38

Well when working people are struggling to make ends meet!!! How can a club that look nailed on to go down, be increasing prices??

Millwall are a real fans club, and this will effect gates next season. I am not earning big money and could not afford season ticket this season. So there is no way I can get one next year!!

We are paying for the inflation in football, which is being caused by players wages. And one day will cause our game to collapse. Football is a working class game, that is now becoming a middle class sport as the working class family man as to make sure him and his family are fed!!

Millwall one day will get this, and do more for the working class fan base. I went to my first game in 1976, 0.70p to get in that night I think. My mum only had to give me £2, to get there watch the game buy programme and a burger.........That now seems a lifetime away.

Time we tried to focus on the roots of our club, not middle class people who don't understand what Millwall means to people like me!!!

Enough said

• March 4, 2014 at 13:05

@Mickthelion: not sure mick if ya pointin at me as middle class but I'm just average, I've worked at this level in football in aust and know well the struggle of keeping a club afloat during desperately hard times. There are sum gd posts here suggesting waiting to see before increasing and that's a smart thing to look at but really, the club probably needs a complete review of all it's operations as it heads into the future and sum innovative ways to protect and add value to its whole supporter base , unfortunately rising costs are always there and the clubs need to deal with it in the best manner they can.

• March 4, 2014 at 12:42

Its ironic that if the team were doing the bussiness on the pitch and ergo more would come to watch there may have been a case to not raise the ticket price for season ticket holders, but because of there failings we will foot the bill, why some of these highly paid show ponies are earning if the reports are true over £1000,000 a year.

Maybe not the whole amount is being paid by Millwall but we will still be paying a large amount towards the total, and how many of us will be lucky enough to get a 4% pay rise this year, and I hope that I will be proved wrong, but a hike in ticket prices to watch Div 1 football to boot.

• March 4, 2014 at 14:58

@Barnlion: I appreciate the club has to think about income, but there should be some scope for prices if we go down.

What they don’t admit is that income is struggling because the running of the club could have been so much better since we were promoted. I know it’s not easy with Millwall, but the club doesn’t seem to do as much as other London clubs to sustain its fan-base or attract new fans. Meanwhile, Ambler is a PR nightmare and Berylson appears to have let the situation with Lewisham Council happen on his watch.

But the biggest problems have been on the pitch. There’s a natural link between attendances and success on the pitch - and the last three years have been bloody awful. Jackett wasn't really given the resources to push on after promotion and since last summer we've signed every unwanted freebie and loan going. Maybe if we thought a bit more about quality rather than quantity, we’d pick up a lot more decent young players like Williams and Upson.

• March 4, 2014 at 12:50

surely the club should be waiting to see where we will be playing our football next season before looking at price increases. if we do go down and I hope we don't but all the big earners will be off like a shot and we will be left with at best a mediocre team with lower league players coming in on lower wages. if the club want our money early they should ask for 50% now and the rest when we know where we will be playing next season with adjustments to suit.

• March 4, 2014 at 13:32

@davep263: millwall have to make the decision now..cos the early bird s/tickets are going on sale today up untill 5th april...i like many are out of work...so i rely on the cheap early bird one

• March 4, 2014 at 17:44

@Jim28: i to buy the early bird as I have to buy for wife daughter and grandson but still think they could take a deposit and then decide once we know where we are playing next season might even encourage more people to apply for the early bird tickets and get more season ticket holders

• March 4, 2014 at 12:58

4% hike,us fans should get a 50% refund for having to watch a load of old s*** before holloways appointment

• March 4, 2014 at 14:31

@DANGEROUS: at least a 50% refund. This team must have broken some trade descriptions act of impersonating a football team for the first half of this season!

• March 4, 2014 at 12:59

I can think of 11 ways to save money every Saturday

• March 4, 2014 at 13:11

Seems strange that season ticket prices are fixed when you do not know what League we shall be in next season.I can understand the Club wanting to start selling season tickets as soon as possible,but it just means you will pay the same for League 1 as you will if we stay up ?

• March 4, 2014 at 13:31

@Longfield Lion:

agree, I worry that this will see a big drop in season tickets next year, especially if we do go down, which as we all agree is highly likely. I'm surprissed the club haven't put into place some sort of scheme like others suggest where we pay a deposit now, and then the final balance is based on what league we end up in next season, that would at least give them an indication of the uptake which would help them budget for player wages next year.

• March 4, 2014 at 13:27

Again a nobody at millwall thinks he knows what's best for us fans. Don't they understand that relegation will see fewer fans & a increase will further see less fans who thinks up this rubbish.

• March 4, 2014 at 13:41

Aint blamed AMBLER for a while must be AMBLER'S. Fault..well he was director of finance when he was at fulham

• March 4, 2014 at 13:38

Translation: "We need more money because when we go down we'll have to pay Championship clubs to take over McDonald, Chaplow & Bailey's contracts".

• March 4, 2014 at 13:58

@jamie: Jamie totally agree with you mate, plus there several other as well mate who will need contracts paid up, but we are the clubs revenue stream mate, so cough up and suffer Div 1 for more money than we have paid for watching the championship.

• March 4, 2014 at 14:03

Fair enough, it's not like your p****** money away paying wages for rubbish, under forming players, endless loan signings and paying off a crap manager who should never of been appointed in the first place.

Millwall hierarchy always looking to please the loyal fans.

• March 4, 2014 at 14:42

Very surprised at the comments here to be honest.
    We've not had a season ticket increase in, what, 5 years? During that time we've been promoted a division. You can moan all you like about what division we'll be in, but at the end of the day - i pay to watch Millwall, not the opposition. On top of that, when alls said and done, it's going up about a £1. So it'll work out for me £15 a game. What level of football do you need to drop to, to see a game for £15 from a decent seat week in week out? I'm pretty sure it'll be lower than League 1

• March 4, 2014 at 15:01

@ChrisR: it's the timing that's the main issue for a lot of fans I feel. Awful football earlier in the season combined with relegation threat = bad time to announce season ticket increases.

I agree about the long price freeze that has been in place. A rare example of the men in charge doing something well.

The clever thing would have been to introduce an increase when we got promoted. Yes people would still be annoyed (no one ever wants to pay more) but the feel good factor at the time would have meant it wouldn't affect sales.

Should we go down may well result in even less sales than they were going to get.

• March 4, 2014 at 17:56

@DANGEROUS: @ChrisR:

It might be nice to watch a decent game from a crap seat

• March 4, 2014 at 15:08

I think the point is, based on the fact we may well be in league 1 next year, the increase is questionable. There are a number of players out of contract and some will leave. The wage bill will then reduce and those that havent left, I would hope that someone had the sense to include a pay cut if we do go down.

The standard of football has been poor, the club are forcing the early bird in the likely event that post 5th April would could in fact be down.

• March 4, 2014 at 16:10

want a joke.talk about rob your own fans.the football we have been playing is rubbish. wont be getting a season ticket next season.the club has never done enough to get more fanbase.un like other clubs .we wompnt say names.millwall has not ran right .now they are asking for more money to watch this s***.the club dont have any shame.simple as.in that there are takeing the p***.

• March 4, 2014 at 17:33

I was taken off last time so here it is again

• March 5, 2014 at 10:06

@colin66: good statement JB f**k them all off

• March 4, 2014 at 17:42

Sorry Wall the easiest way is drop the players wages by 2% that will cover the shortfall and the further shortfall once where relegated and playing in league 1 with smaller crowds.
    Then introduce a win bonus which in conjunction with bigger gates following a success full team will again raise more revenue for both the club and players
    Don't s*** on your own fans Wall look at the big picture you have taken the easy option Think Again !!!!!!!!!

• March 4, 2014 at 17:59

Guys, I know it's tough out there at the moment and the players haven't done themselves justice so far this season, but I have been a season ticket for over 8 years now and have only known one increase during that time, if we don't increase it will mean fines under FPP rules and the could be the end of us.

• March 4, 2014 at 18:44

After the lack of goal scoring ability upfront with the news that season tickets were going up NOT down I was just about done with millwall but after the game I was invited into my dad's mates box where him and about 10 other loyal fans were. Where I was so p1ssed off with millwall in general I wasn't really in the mood for a party but amongst them was millwall Julie! She was bubbly and so positive about the day. When I asked her about us getting relegated and the season ticket prices she simply said 'we are the mighty millwall, I'll follow on till the day I die! Premier league or league 2, it's my millwall no matter what'. The point I'm making is that we'll all be here after this sh1t lot of players have gone so we might as well make the most of them and make Ollie feel just as loved as he clearly loves us! COYL!

• March 4, 2014 at 18:49

No one likes a price increase especially after the couple of seasons we've had but if by paying an extra 1520 quid or so per season we are helping the club and the chairman who don't forget has invested untold millions, balance the books then so be it.

• March 4, 2014 at 19:08

Hope holloway stays next season if we go down. I think going down will be good for us we need to start again and holloway is perfect to do that think we will come straight back up if so. I think the club as a whole is preparing for life in league 1 already... i worry if we stay up things will only be the same next year no changes will get made and we will be in the same situation with the same players as the board will just look past it

• March 4, 2014 at 19:14

I will not be renewing and it has nothing to do with the increase after endless years of being a STH, its more the way we are treated by contractors works closing roads and footpaths for months on end, like the Silwood Estate footpath (closed for 18 months and more recent 3 months) and the Bolina road permanent closure.
    I travel from Rotherhithe Tunnel and the regen alongside all the other crap is a nightmare waiting to happen, just wait and see what obstacles supporters will be put through added to watching poor performances and I have had enough after attending for over 60 year.

• March 4, 2014 at 19:32

Don't really care to be honest. Was never going to renew.

• March 4, 2014 at 19:37

I'm not personally too bothered about this. Yes, paying out more money for something is always sh*t, but I don't really look at this in the same light as say, energy firms taking money off us. As long as it's put to good use in stabilizing our club- which I think overall it will be... I don't mind.
    Going down the den for those couple of hours in a long week brings me a lot of pleasure - win or lose - and to me, that is worth paying for.
    Not saying that some of the comments above don't ring true e.g. high player wages, champ or lge 1 next season? etc... But the difference to me is £13, what's that... 3 bottles of Carlsberg p***?!

• March 4, 2014 at 19:37

MOAN MOAN MOAN! It's hardly gonna break the bank is it!

• March 4, 2014 at 20:50

In fairness bearing in mind the teams form this announcement was always going to be met with hostility, and I hate the idea of spying more for less but as many have pointed out the early bird offer is pretty decent in terms of cost per game and gives the most committed a chance to save a few pound in return for their dedication. Hard facts are that professional football is a costly business with only a select few clubs in the country actually turning over a profit and if we as fans expect the chairman to keep putting his hands in his pockets to finance new players (albeit many moody two bobs wasters) we as fans should equally be expected to back up him up a little with a small bit extra (£1 per game). At the start of the season many fans on this forum were chuffed with majority of the signings made by lomas i.e Bailey, MacDonald, Morison, Chaplow who all on paper looked like an improvement to our squad but equally commanded big wages... Sickeningly these signings have generally been s**** but unless we want to ask the chairman to stop taking optimistic risks to try and improve our on field fortunes we should suck up what is 'necessary change' to help contribute to sustaining our clubs future!!!

And final thought, although I'd be gutted to see us back there I will still pay to watch my wall even in division 1, as I did when bought my first season ticket with my first wage over 16 years ago!!!

• March 5, 2014 at 02:21

I am pleased to see fans on here also share my opinion. We was all buzzing at the beginning of season JB bought in players we would never of expected to come here.... Since IH has came he's also invested in the wages of Jackson & Campbell plus signed a couple of decent players long term.

The fella deserves an extra 20 quid next year for that alone, we are a massive club with a pathetic turnout we need to compete and with the FFP coming into play we need to pay a bit more for the people who don't turn up unless it's wembley...

I know it's in bad taste because of the way we are playing but I don't care it's 12 quid to watch Bromley so 15 quid to see my Millwall I'm ok with that. They can have the extra poxy pound a game I'd pay double if it meant competing with the likes of Leicester and the other big payers.

People moaning about an extra 20 quid a season need to be rethinking weather they have the spare money for season ticket in the first place and get down the food bank....

Come on guys JB showed ambition please back him or he will be gone then we are finished.... Unless we have and rich supporters willing to find us I know Danny Baker won't be able to afford it haha

• March 5, 2014 at 06:57

Rumour has it that several Championship clubs have written to the FA threatening legal action if FFP fines are imposed on clubs do not have parachute payments propping them up. Will be interesting to see what happens there

• March 5, 2014 at 09:56

It's a bit of a side issue but will the club get an opportunity to make sum coin out of the aust v equador game and do you guys reckon a few people will turn up?? It,d be great if the club could reproduce sum of Tim cahills old playing strips to sell to the aussie fans .

• March 5, 2014 at 13:29

Nobody is forcing you to buy a season ticket. If you don't want to just go to the odd game, as loads of fans do. Also, they are in a no win situation. We all want decent players, and I think we have some (and loads of s*** ones I grant you) so we have to pay what the going rate is. If we didn't imagine the outcry on these pages. I bet the average increase across the Championship sides will be bigger than 4%, so I think we got of light. If we go down, what do you want them to do, get rid of everyone and sign some non league players just so we can save a £1 a game? No, I don't think so.

• March 5, 2014 at 14:39

here you go championship season ticket prices

• March 6, 2014 at 16:09

No problem with the price rise from me. Its part of life. Everything increases in cost and football is no different.