Holloway: Millwall are improving and results will soon turn

©
©

MILLWALL boss Ian Holloway is confident the recent improvements in his side's performances will soon be reflected in results.

The Lions were beaten 1-0 by Brighton at The Den on Saturday but Holloway claimed their display represented another step forward under his management.

Holloway admits, however, that Millwall now need to prove that they deserve to stay in the Championship by converting performances into points over the coming weeks.

"I'm seeing a big difference," he said. "I saw spirit – whoever I brought on, whoever I took off, that's more like it. The effort was unbelievable from everybody.

"How we have actually lost again I do not know, but such is life. Maybe we shouldn't miss from three yards out and maybe we've got to start believing in ourselves.

"I believe it will turn, I really do. It has got to turn quickly I know, but I believe it will. The boys have got to be brave enough to turn this around and stop looking for excuses.

"We've got to start finishing off our opportunities."

Holloway measured the Lions' progress by comparing the substitution of Shane Lowry for Scott McDonald with a similar change he made against Reading last month.

On that day, John Marquis replaced Mark Beevers and the Royals scored two quick goals.

"What really pleased me was the changes I made and the way the players understood them," Holloway said.

"We looked dangerous towards the end of the game, which wasn't the case at Barnsley.

"I took off a centre half and the last time I did that we went to pieces like a jigsaw, but this time it caused Brighton all sorts of issues and we looked strong.

"The tougher it gets, the tougher we have got to get. When I get knocked down, I get back up again and that's my life motto. I'm going to keep getting up because I love this place.

"I want my players to understand that I won't go against them, I'll keep working and keeping fighting with them, because that's what our duty is.

"We don't need referees to help us because I think we will be better than three other teams. It's alright me saying that but we have to prove that.

"There are a lot of things in our performances that are looking better – Ed Upson and Owen Garvan were terrific I thought, and Shaun Williams is excellent with his range of passing.

"We're getting there."

48 thoughts on “Holloway: Millwall are improving and results will soon turn

• March 3, 2014 at 14:18

JUST OFF FOR THE FITNESS BREAK IN SPAIN .....4 MORE POINTS WHILE WE ARE AWAY. NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. STORMIN' NORMAN.

• March 3, 2014 at 14:20

Please let results go our way just for a change can't remember last time we won! Keep the faith! COYL!!!

• March 3, 2014 at 14:22

I still believe that you will be a good manager for us Holloway.
    Keep going.
    There are plenty of others that do despite the results.

• March 3, 2014 at 14:24

Unlike the majority on this site I actually do believe we will stay up. IH has had a a hell of a task with what he inherited from Lomas but it is coming together. It will be tight but there are at least three teams who are worse than us.

• March 3, 2014 at 16:42

@junkmale: What are the signs that it is coming together? We may be playing slightly better but the results speak for themselves - we can't score nor can we keep a clean sheet. I'm not saying it's Holloway's fault at all, I'm just saying that whilst it is a bit better, I'm still not convinced. Maybe if he had 10 points from 9 games rather than 6 I'd be a bit more contented but hey, each to their own.

• March 3, 2014 at 18:06

@harryfabian: you can't ignore the fact that we are playing better possession football and I admit that it amounts to nothing if we do not score BUT,if 1-2 of our strikers start to put their chances away we will start winning games. We aren't looking like leaking 3-4 goals a game anymore and we are dominating possession. There are two clear signs that positive steps forward are being made.

• March 3, 2014 at 14:36

Dear mr hollaway i want to know wot improvements are you refering to..cos saturday we went backwards compared to the bolton performance....there is a saying.it goes like this...dont p*** down my back & tell me its raining

• March 3, 2014 at 14:47

Ian it seems to me that you have just looked at the box set of Rocky movies while listening to tub thumping by Chumbawamba, the improvement is that we lost by less goals, but that will not keep us up, we need a win from somewhere to at least give us the supporters something to hang onto.

Saturday is going to be really hard but what a morale booster if you can get something up there, coould be the spark to egnite the team, talk is cheap so lets see action we are owed it big time from them players.

• March 3, 2014 at 18:16

@Barnlion: after they spanked us 5-1 earlier in the season and are one of the leagues leading scorers if we could manage a point it would be very welcome before the more realistic chance of points against Blackpool.

• March 4, 2014 at 11:34

@MFC Lion: MFC the word that I used was IF and it is an almighty if as well, but being a Millwall supporter we live in hope, but I conceed to your knowledge that is more likely to produce something than Saturday at Derby.

• March 4, 2014 at 14:08

@Barnlion: wasn't having a go Barn. I said myself IF we could get anything at a good footballing team like Derby would do the lads confidence the world of good.

• March 3, 2014 at 15:16

I Agree we need a bit of luck a game where we score three goals the confidence will be there and I can see us going on a run everyone needs a bit of luck being at the bottom unfortunately it's hard to come bye and if everything evens itself out over a season we only have 13 games left to prove this rule so in the next 13 games expect dodgy penalties harsh sending offs fordey allowed to handle outside the area if things do really even themselves out we will defo stay up if they don't I still think we have enough and once we score a few we will score loads COYL MMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

• March 3, 2014 at 18:17

@millwall dave: yes if things even out expect wall to win the next 13 😉

• March 3, 2014 at 15:18

• March 3, 2014 at 15:30

Are Upson and Williams facing 3 match bans after their inevitable next bookings? It seems virtually impossible to field a settled side!

• March 3, 2014 at 15:42

@drifter: think it's only 1 match not sure tho hope only 1 match as most cards were picked up playing for Yeovil or mk

• March 3, 2014 at 16:01

@millwall dave: think its a 2 or 3 game ban, because they got most cards playing for previous clubs has nothing to do with length of ban.

• March 4, 2014 at 09:13

@dpendet: 2 match ban for 10 bookings

• March 3, 2014 at 16:01

Yeah , with you all the way Ollie, I saw major improvements again on Saturday,much better defending, no long ball stuff, good passing and movement,good spells of possetion. Just sort that top end out and we'll be alright . And yeah UPSON superb,and the others were good, I really like what you'r doing, bring us some goals and some wins soon and complete the task.

• March 3, 2014 at 19:49

@bordersarebest0170:
      The team coped better with a daft substitution cos they are getting used to weirdness occurring when we are a goal down.

Other than that I can't detect any improvement whatsoever.

• March 4, 2014 at 09:16

@dpendet: 2 match ban for 10 bookings@The Humble One: i know it was a strange substitution again but this time we had williams to slot in in place of lowry and to be honest his distribution is good so would be a sound bet to play instead of lowry or shittu as he dont play the long ball crap we're used to seeing

• March 3, 2014 at 16:01

Yes we need a bit of luck! But he needs to stop tinkering and go back to basics 4-4-2 as we are not good enough too play the system he wants us to play yet!
    Forde
    Fredericks shittu lowry Malone
    Martin upson Williams woolford
    Jackson Morison

• March 3, 2014 at 16:44

@mfc31: I also thought we needed a return to 4-4-2 but that would have meant the last 9 games and 2 months would have been in vain. 4-4-2 isn't guaranteed to work either and I'm sure IH knows more than we do when it comes to tactics. 4-2-3-1 is for the long term and we have to adapt as the game adapts. If it doesn't work this season, we will play much better football in league one and should get promoted, as long as we do what we did in 2009/10.

• March 3, 2014 at 16:03

Forde
    Frederick's shittu Lowry Malone
    Martin upson Williams woolford
    Jackson Morison

• March 3, 2014 at 17:25

Open letter to Directors IH and Players.
    I think that all the above need to know that the supporters lives and expectation on match days is there whole working week condensed into passion and watching there love for Millwall,at some high and involved costs from all walks of life.
    All the above and especially the players need to realise there privileged position of being able to play professional football and wearing the Millwall shirt,that said without us there lives would be completely different so with that in mind and the remainder games that are left it would be nice to see the effort and application by all in these remaining games to keep Wall in this league.
    Should any players feel at any time that giving there all is to much,then please think what us the supporters have to endure to finance match days, and give us something to be proud of a team that can and will fight for there lives .
    13 games is more than enough to save our selfs lets start at Derby come Wall For Us The Supporters.

• March 3, 2014 at 17:48

Well I think the players are giving their all, the Bolton and Brighton games they couldn't have tried any harder. As for 442 I hope not, we would get outnumbered and overrun in midfield by all the teams( which is most ) that play with a five in their so 442 not for me, it's a bit old hat, it would work if we had Gerrard, and players like him.

• March 3, 2014 at 18:27

We will stay up.

• March 3, 2014 at 18:42

There is definitely signs of improvement, although results haven't shown this to be the case. I think most supporters are behind you Ollie, and yes we're due that bit of luck to get us going, but its got to happen very soon. We should be better than three teams in this league but with only 13 games remaining, that is getting harder to believe.

• March 3, 2014 at 18:50

Here's your chance Mr Holloway to put your point about refs on national radio. Durham and Gough have just had a pop at you saying your talking rubbish about the bias of refs. We long suffering supporters know its true and now it seems so do you. So come on get on talk sport and tell them why you believe this to be the case and shut Durham up.

• March 3, 2014 at 19:05

As frustrating as it is and all the talk bout bias n refs etc we just hav to win, the talking can only be done on the field , all the talk in the world won't help if we end up in league 1. The boys have to concentrate on playin hard and we have to concentrate on supporting hard. Millwall supporters standing tall true believers one and all!

• March 3, 2014 at 19:06

He saw "signs of improvement" but no goals again and that is what counts. Same rhetoric every week. WE need a goal scorer as we do not seem to have any at the moment.

• March 3, 2014 at 19:22

Things are getting a little better . Still need better delivers in to the box... Play Morrison as as a striker not a winger!!! Keogh was let go and has scored twice as a striker for blackpool .. Can't play two small boys up front again , playing miles off each other no chance of getting flick ons..
    Forde
    Fredrick's (just after 2nd half performance)
    Shittu,Lowry ,Dunne
    Woolford , Garvan, Williams, Upson,
    Morrison ,DJ

• March 3, 2014 at 19:22

• March 3, 2014 at 23:42

@Jim28: shows that people recognise the gradual improvement being made and that the squad is responding to Ollie s methods. If we do go down it will largely be due to what happened before Ollie joined the club and maybe we need to rebuild to move forward irrespective of the cost.

• March 3, 2014 at 19:23

ollie is our man .its going to take a bit of time to get us right.the rot in the team is deep.but there is 3 worst than us i think.lomas done alot of damage .ollie just needs to make us hard to beat.like kenny did.its not going to be easy.forget now good football for now just get some points what ever it takes.we must win our home games simple as.we must stick togother in this battle. on one likes us we dont care

• March 3, 2014 at 19:25

I was at millwall on saturday & at the final whistle a lot of fans stayed behind me included & appauded the players of..with that kind of backing we will stay up...coyw.

• March 3, 2014 at 19:59

I do not honestly think we will stay up, I just feel losing 3-2 etc is healthier at this stage than slim 1-0 losses. It's better to create and learn to tighten at the back rather than the other way.

All the other teams around us score a lot more and that's a worry, IH saying its going to turn is optimistic as the games are running out fast. I do not blame him one bit, the problems eating the squad appear far deeper seeded.

I don't know what is the best scenario long term for us? Is going down with the view to rebuilding and bouncing back at the first attemp the way to build momentum as Wolves will do (risky)? Is staying up by the skin of our teeth and continuing to struggle the way? This may seem wet but what is the let's say the 5 year plan?!?

• March 3, 2014 at 20:52

@JonnyBanks: My plan, stay up, rebuild over the next two years. Give Holloway a new contract and go for promotion from there. We can do it, as we all know we just need MILLWALL players. Ak 1988

• March 3, 2014 at 20:32

anyone just watch dispatches?? what a load of b*******!

• March 3, 2014 at 21:34

@Luke ColdBlow10: Yes,it was terrible i never knew this went on.They should have arrested them all for saying naughty words. Turned it off half way.

• March 3, 2014 at 23:45

@shoot ffs: I remember a couple of seasons ago- we played brighton away on a Wednesday night and we was all singing 'You've got aids brighton, you've got aids...' to the tune of kumbaya.. everyone was cracking up, even the brighton fans... Then when brighton went 2-1 up, they all started singing 'We're gay - and we're 2-1 up, We're gay - etc...' and us lot gave em a clap in recognition.... 1 word - 'B A N T E R' !!!!!! GET IT!?!? It means F*** ALL! 99.9999% of us aren't gona go out gay bashing! Maybe they should lock up people like Frankie Boyle??! Just in case he actually goes out and does some of the sh*t he comes out with! NO 1 LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE! F*** OFF CH4!!

• March 4, 2014 at 01:08

@Luke ColdBlow10: was a good nite played some great stuff...went this year & there was notices on the gates telling you that you cant sing songs relating to poofs gays etc..this seem to intensify the chanting...

• March 3, 2014 at 23:45

@JonnyBanks: didn't see it, usual rubbish I assume. Another documentary made with a biased viewpoint.

• March 4, 2014 at 08:47

@glyngo: it was about Racism which is rich coming from the bbc...didn't watch it either so dont lnow the full content...to tell the truth passed caring..its getting boring

• March 4, 2014 at 10:24

Lucky for us, other results went our way at the weekend, what with Doncaster, Charlton, Barnsley and Yeovil all losing.
    I think Yeovil have shot themselves in the foot having had 3 players sent off at the weekend. That could be the final nail in their coffin!
    Charlton are focusing all there attention on the F.A cup, which could work in our favour.
    Donny and Barnsley, who knows!
    Really need at least 6 points from the next 3 games.