Crystal Palace midfielder Garvan a loan target for Millwall

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL are hoping to complete the loan signing of Crystal Palace midfielder Owen Garvan before Saturday's home game against Brighton.

The two clubs are close to finalising a deal that will run until the end of the campaign after Garvan turned down a move to Sheffield Wednesday.

It is understood Garvan is yet to give the move the final okay.

The 26-year-old is being targeted to provide cover for Nicky Bailey, who has been ruled out for the next month with a back injury.

Earlier this week, Lions boss Ian Holloway claimed losing Bailey had been a major blow. He said: "We have not looked the same without Nicky."

Holloway is also very concerned by the prospect of losing Shaun Williams and Ed Upson to suspension, with both players one yellow card away from a ban.

Garvan and Holloway had a public falling out during their time together at Selhurst Park but have seemingly repaired their relationship.

In August, the Dubliner was left out of the Eagles' 25-man Premier League squad and then posted on Twitter: "I'll be here longer then he will…trust me."

55 thoughts on “Crystal Palace midfielder Garvan a loan target for Millwall

• February 27, 2014 at 11:00

He's a decent player what I've seen of him, certainly we need someone to organise the midfield.

• February 27, 2014 at 11:02

Nothing against this guy, sure he's a decent player but another midfielder!!!!
    What about the defence, which is the worst In the league does that not need rectifying??
    What's next another striker???

• February 27, 2014 at 23:45

@dpendet: dpendet we have a good centre back in Jake Goodman just don't get why he has not been given a chance our ageing defence needs some youth in it at cb what's your view cause if we go down half of these players will head for the exit !

• February 27, 2014 at 11:03

THAT WILL HELP IF HES ANY GOOD....................
    LETS KEEP OUR FINGERS CROSSED !!!!
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE "
    THE STRORM

• February 27, 2014 at 11:03

It looks like Jimmy Abdou wont be here much longer then.

• February 27, 2014 at 11:12

@Eightieswall: He doesn't seem to rate Jimmy at all, but IMO with Bailey out we lack a leader in midfield; Jimmy certainly ain't a leader

• February 27, 2014 at 14:59

@Adsy77777: Agree Adsy but we need someone in midfield to do the dirty work and to break up play. Jimmy is a spoiler and i think we miss that with Bailey unavailable.

• February 27, 2014 at 11:19

Can he score goals ??????????/

• February 27, 2014 at 12:54

@Longfield Lion: scored against Ipswich u21s a couple of days ago I believe. Don't know his previous record. Should be a decent signing - Upson/Williams close to being banned, Chaplow + Bailey forever injured, Wright not good enough, Abdou? I still love him!

• February 27, 2014 at 11:47

This was the first player i fort olly would get when he took the job...for a palarse player he is pretty good...didn't he score that 30 yarder against us last season..still blnody good un

• February 27, 2014 at 12:13

@Jim28: I'm surprised, he fell out with Ollie big time at palarse, Ollie said he would never work with him again (more contradiction from the mental one), whilst Garvan tweeted 'I'll be here a lot longer than him, believe me'.

• February 27, 2014 at 14:17

@Adsy77777: wouldn't be the first palarse midfield player at the den..Nicky Chatterton was so good his goal at dagenham bough the house down

• February 27, 2014 at 14:19

@Jim28: Great player for us, Chatts

• February 27, 2014 at 19:19

@Adsy77777: surely our best ever signing from palace was Steve Lovell , cost nowt 27 goals in one season , not bad for a converted full back !!!

• February 27, 2014 at 14:20

@Adsy77777: well he was right about being at palace longer.

• February 27, 2014 at 14:37

@Adsy77777: n6t a french0reporter taking it uhe wrong way

• February 27, 2014 at 11:48

How many players is that now this season? We can't keep throwing new players at the problem. It's a well known fact that settled teams perform best. We seem to have a few players making their debuts every other game.

We've got a big squad of well-paid players and its about time we started getting the best out of what we've got.

• February 27, 2014 at 11:59

@Micky Lions: I agree a settled squad is definitely what we need.... but if Williams or Upson gets another yellow then we will be left with A headless chicken (Abdou) who can't actually play the football which Holloway wants and A guy who cares more about his hair than football (Wright).... I'd take Garvan over any of those 2 any day of the week.

The Summer is when Holloway can get rid of Chaplow, McDonald, Hoyte, Jack Smith, Paul Robinson.... you are talking about £40,000 a week, if not more for these players who just aren't good enough.... then bring youngsters in on half the amount who are hungrier and fitter!!

• February 27, 2014 at 17:34

I think you will find that 40.000 grand just about covers Morrison and mcdonalds wages .

• February 27, 2014 at 12:16

@Micky Lions: Shows you the scatter gun approach to recruitment, 8 possible central midfielders and only one leader / battler - Bailey. I think it's something, judging on recent performances, that we needed to address.

• February 27, 2014 at 11:49

Can nobody see that what we lack is creativity yet another work a day midfielder is not what we need. We need wingers with real pace for a start and someone who can pick a pass I mean when was the last time you saw a millwall striker clean through one on one with a keeper?

• February 27, 2014 at 12:16

Wot we need and wot may be available on the market is 2 totally different things...we are definitely lacking creativity in the middle of the park so if this fella can bring that to the table then lets make it happen...there seems to be a of bloody 'experts' on here who keep telling us what we do and dont need...real life football aint like wheelin n dealin on fifa 14....u can only bring a player in if he seems available, is good enough to add to the team and obviously whether they wanna come n play at the Den....if a player meets this criteria then i dont give a monkeys whether he's a RB, LB or a tea-lady... FFS...let Holloway just do his job an don't forget wot we all said when he first took the position....the little bald fella is gonna need 'time' to sort this shovel of s**** squad out....already a lot of u plastic fifa managers have forgotten that....Rome wasnt built in a day...UP THE LIONS!!!!

• February 27, 2014 at 12:46

@exiledlion: Lee martin v Sheff Wed - Missed

• February 27, 2014 at 12:47

Yeah agree, if a lot on here had their way,we would have a new manager after every defeat. Cos they know best

• February 27, 2014 at 13:01

Couldnt actually believe some of the postings on here the other day after the barnsley defeat when a few clowns were actually questioning all of us that were so quick to post our satisfaction at Holloways appointment...? The fella is no doubt as nutty as squirrel s**** an talks a loada boll***s at times but we all knew that when he arrived....you dont buy a doberman an moan that it wont stop barking....was at the training ground last week an watched him in action an i gotta say the man is somethin else....obviously dont wanna get relegated but if we do the fella is still the right man for the job an we're lucky to have him....so all u jokers shouting "Shoulda got Warnock" already....JOG ON.

• February 27, 2014 at 13:25

@Hurlocksgonnagetya: I hope you're right. I'm certainly not suggesting a change of manager but my honest opinion is that this is going to end in tears. As for being a joker or a clown or jogging on, I've got my opinion, you've got yours. Like I said, I hope that you're right and I'm wrong.

• February 27, 2014 at 13:38

I dont let my missus have an opinion cos i find she just moans n all.

• February 27, 2014 at 13:42

Another midfielder... Haha! Another f****** midfielder! If we are to bring in someone, why oh why have we not brought in a winger? We have never replaced Henry and seem to have resorted to playing centre forwards in a wide position. The strikers aren't scoring due to the lack of delivery coming out wide. I've never seen a squad with such a lack of balance. If we were to sign anyone, I would have gone for Jonny Williams. Seems like a 'Guy Moussi' signing to me. Waste of money for me.

• February 27, 2014 at 13:48

@manclion: It would also help if we had someone in the middle who could actually win a ball in the air instead of all the midgets we keep getting. Most of the teams we play actually have someone big who can cause problems in the area.
      I know we have some big guys who can cause a few problems in the area, the trouble is they are defenders and the area they are causing problems in is our own.

• February 27, 2014 at 14:06

Hey Manclion an sealion....give us a coupla names...who'd u want fellas...? Jonny Williams? Apparently linked with him but it aint happened so obviously he or palarse dont fancy it...messi would be a good fit dya reckon...? Just tried to sign him on football manager 14...am just waiting for a reply...

• February 27, 2014 at 14:27

@Hurlocksgonnagetya: Williams was just a suggestion mate, not necessarily him. bit of a leap to Messi don't you think? Doesn't matter anyway, he's joined Ipswich, Williams not Messi :). I'm routing for you with signing Messi, heard he's quite good. I'd love to have the time to play a game but sadly I have a job and not 14 years old.

• February 27, 2014 at 14:57

Still waiting for a list of your names Jose....an if youre at work why dont u stop telling Holloway how to do his job an get of with your own...? Ive just finished my paper round so am free to speak....

• February 27, 2014 at 15:17

@Hurlocksgonnagetya: That's very good mate, I see what you did there, you cleverly and sarcastically took the name 'Jose' implying that I am the presently successful manger Jose Mourinho due to the fact that I suggested on a possible addition. Sorry for depicting that gag but I just think a lot of people may have missed the subtle humorous undertone penetrated through that comment. Again well done.

Well I wasn't aware that Holloway was keeping tabs on the comment on this page, but then again, I guess there's just some things that watching a training session once and owning a copy of the latest Football Manager that just give you the edge against us clueless lot.

• February 27, 2014 at 15:49

Listen brains...i woulda thought a man of your obvious intelligence would of worked out that im not professing to have more knowledge than u clueless lot who love to immediately jump on holloways back an question his transfers, tactics and outrageous quotes that we knew he was famous for the moment things go awry....im happy to sit back an give the fella a chance to make his mark rather than try an be a plastic manager like u an jump on here crying..."Whys he doing that...whys he doin this...he shoulda done that....wahhhh!!!!" The ONE training session i did attend showed me he's got his work cut out with this lot an im pretty sure he knows more than u who he needs and doesnt need to sort stuff out...maybe u could give up work manc an get yourself down there to give him a hand...?

• February 27, 2014 at 16:18

I agree with your comment of allowing time for Holloway, and I will even if we go down. I get sick to back teeth of supporters lack of patience and demand instant results too. I was on here last year criticizing supporters for not giving lomas time prior to the Bournemouth result. But I'm still entitled to question transfers, tactics etc being made by the manager especially if they may harm the future of the club. For example I shudder to think of the wage bill at the moment. Bringing in a winger seems more of a priority and as you mentioned earlier williams was linked before, which looked like holloway was bringing in a player in that position, but no it was another central midfielder. Just disappointing is all.

• February 27, 2014 at 14:25

Is he on 9 yellow cards!!?

• February 27, 2014 at 14:46

Whilst I understand a lot of the comments "why do we need another midfielder" I can see that IH is trying to bring in additional cover to that area because with Chaplow and Bailey permanently injured and Upson and Williams on 9 yellow cards each that only leaves Jimmy as the alternative. I agree that we need a right winger to replace Henry but IH style of play doesn't include 2 wingers anyway. I also we agree that we need a big centre forward up front like Henderson and can only hope that IH will bring in someone like this irrespective of if we are relegated or not for next season once Campbell, Jackson, Morison and hopefully McDonald have gone.

• February 27, 2014 at 14:56

"We have not looked the same without nicky " surely the silliest comment of this inglourios b****** season

• March 1, 2014 at 00:22

@thecolumbusblock:
      I haven't the slightest idea what IH is on about with this one. Bailey has been just one more over the hill identikit injury prone mediocre journeyman amongst a whole flock of lookalikes. You could perm any four (or three for five or whatever the shambolic situation is supposed to be at any given moment) of them on a random basis and virtually nobody would give a monkeys.

• February 27, 2014 at 17:28

This would be my team for Brighton, depending on us getting Garvan

Forde
    Fredericks Shittu Lowry Malone
    Williams Garvan
    Morison Upson Woolford
    Campbell

• February 27, 2014 at 18:05

I thought IH distanced himself from Jonny Williams as we were not looking at players who we had no chance of signing longer term? So I can only assume we intend to buy Garvan? My palace pals say he is a solid holding midfielder but lacks any pace whatsoever.

I understand IH only answers questions that are put to him BUT I do feel sometimes he should take a step back and say a little less, all his protracted answers and statements leave him open to contridicting himself, he has done this a couple of times already.

Sometimes less is more! Less chat and more results/points please for a while.

• February 27, 2014 at 19:01

@JonnyBanks: me & my mates have been saying this for weeks..reporters know wot buttons to press..cos he leaves himself well open.( bit like malone )..see how easy it is to be mis quoted

• February 27, 2014 at 20:02

@JonnyBanks: Garvan should feel at home in our team because none of them have any pace.

• February 27, 2014 at 19:31

"We have not looked the same without Nicky", in fact we have not looked the same without Trotter. Why does he keep tinkering with the midfield? How many midfield players have we had since the start of the season? Our defence is still weak and the forward line weaker still. Is he going to play the out of form Morison again this week? This is deja vue again for me.

• March 1, 2014 at 00:24

@Peckhamlad:
      I have no idea how many players we have had in midfield. They all looked the same to me - clueless semi-animated pinball bumpers the lot of them.

• February 27, 2014 at 20:34

Ollie is implementing the more modern 4- 2- 3 - 1 formation which sadly does not and will not include wingers, so as much as some think that is what we need, it ain't gonna happen, especially as the top 4 will rotate at stages during the game. We will see changes to the line up and during games until the right formular is found, it's frustrating as hell and very experimental but unfortunately very much needed. Lets hope we find it on saturday against a very good footballing side, we battered em away and undeservedly got a point, we should have got all three, so the players are more than capable of a similar performance.
    3 points on saturday
    COYLs mmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

• March 1, 2014 at 00:29

@lukesmithmfc:
      There isn't a right combination. The formula is intrinsically wrong - or the players available are wrong. Either way though this isn't going to work - "modern" or otherwise.

• March 1, 2014 at 10:59

@The Humble One: humble, I reckon the players available are wrong, hence the forever changing line ups and the huge gambles he makes during games and to be fare he has more or less said it from day one. It's bad enough having an unfit squad but to have players with lack of technical ability as well you can imagine how frustrating is for him.
        Tbh we've known for a couple yrs that the squad were not good enough, but nothing ever got done to rectify it. Now we have a manager who wants to do something about I think we should cut him some slack, he can only change a little at a time, bit by bit. He will get it right no doubt about it but it may mean going down to clear the decks.
        3 points today will be a step in the right direction

• February 27, 2014 at 20:39

Get rid of Morrison - he is expensive and rubbish - and not interested in MFC into the bargain.
    Look at his track record - off loaded all the time
    Look at the stats
    His only skill is as a right winger - Yet we pay him excessive CF wages.
    IH has not got a bloody clue what he is doing

• February 27, 2014 at 23:07

Brighton have signed Manchester Utd forward Jesse Lingard on loan to end of season. No doubt he will be playing against Millwall this Saturday. He is only 21 scoring four goals on his debut against Sheffield Wednesday on his debut when he was on loan to Birmingham. He comes from Man Un youth acadamy and is top drawer for the future according to Moyes.
    I think he would have been just the player that would have added the necessary bite to our lack lustre foward line, but we are stuck with the likes of Morison
    I fear we are not going to get a result thid Saturday, sorry to be pessimistic but the players Millwall have signed are not adding anything to the team, they are not strengthening the weakest areas (defence and forwards) I hope I am to be proved wrong we desperately need the win but are clinging at straws.