Millwall boss: I will keep my head while others lose theirs

©
©

IAN Holloway insists he won't hit the panic button.

Many Millwall fans fear their side is in real danger of being relegated after results conspired against them last weekend.

But Holloway is staying calm after losing 1-0 to Barnsley – and hopes supporters and players alike will do the same.

The Lions boss said: "I've overseen 800 games as a manager so you won't find me panicking.

"When you keep your head while all others about you are losing theirs, that is when you find out what kind of man you are.

"I am not going to lose my head over one lost game by the odd goal. If we had capitulated, lost 5-0 and everyone had stopped trying, then that's totally different.

"But everything has been blown out of proportion because we lost a game.

"If you're going to panic, thank God you're not in the dugout or on the pitch. The last thing I want is my players panicking.

"I have got to make them believe in themselves and work hard, and if I don't get a reaction I won't pick them."

Holloway added: "Nobody wants to go down but I've said that if we do, I am going to carry on and get us back up.

"I'd much rather stay in the division and I'm going to do all I can to facilitate that.

"If that means I have to chuck players out, drive somebody away or bring somebody else in, I will do it.

"I will do whatever it takes to give Millwall fans the team that they want – a team that can fight, tackle and chase lost causes.

"I've seen the players doing that but if this lot aren't good enough to keep doing it, then I'll make changes. But I'm not seeing that at the moment and I don't think that's the problem

"We need a bit of a confidence, to get someone scoring and to score from set pieces. We're going to work in a calm, calculated, hard-working fashion."

26 thoughts on “Millwall boss: I will keep my head while others lose theirs

• February 27, 2014 at 10:27

That's OK Ian but the facts are :
    We have not scored more than 1 goal in the last 12 GAMES.
    We have only scored 3 goals in 1 game this season.
    We have the worst goal difference in the League.
    We have conceded most goals.

I suggest you give the STRIKERS a good kick up the a***.

• February 27, 2014 at 14:15

@Longfield Lion: it's true we need the strikers to find their shooting boots quickly.

At least we've only let in a single goal in the last 3, albeit against not very good sides.

• February 27, 2014 at 10:42

very much agree , if we could put the ball in the back of the net we would take a lot of pressure of our defence thus gaining in confidence , the last 3 or 4 home games we could have been 3 up at half time if we buried our chances.

• February 27, 2014 at 10:50

When we went 1 down against Reading we ended up with 4 strikers on the pitch, Is that not panicking or is it gambling. Ollie needs to be careful that all this talk doesn't backfire on him he seems to come out with something new everyday. Its all well and good saying these things but if nothing changes on the pitch his words become worthless.

• February 27, 2014 at 12:00

@Eightieswall: It’s still February, so I don't want to hear any b******* promises about bringing us back up. Holloways job this season is to keep us up - end of.

Our situation wasn’t that awful when he took over just after Christmas and he’s added lots of new players to an already large squad. So he has to start proving himself now and not next year. Jimmy Nicholl did that and look where it left us – administration and several years at a lower level.

• February 27, 2014 at 10:51

I think some people need a reality check - this team was getting trounced week by week under Lomas. We aren't suddenly going to become world-beaters! If we are going to stay up it will be a struggle, it was always going to be after wasting half of the season. Everyone needs to stick by Ollie and the team. He hasn't had the start we all hoped for but you've got to keep the faith - probably the best manager we could have got at the time! Whether we like it or not, we've got to stick by Ollie and hope he comes up with the goods! This is Millwall, we never do things the easy way but we've got to keep our bottle!

• February 27, 2014 at 11:00

@DanLion: I think everyone is behind Ollie and the team and the fans have been patient considering the crap we have had to watch this season. But we need the fighting talk to be on the pitch not on a message board.

• February 27, 2014 at 14:19

@DanLion:

Very good summary of our current situation.
      IH has a plan and it will take time for his method of play to become second nature for the players.
      Until that time comes we must sit tight and work our way out of this situation, the IH way, as he is in charge.
      In the home games we have played since IH took over we have played well for maybe ten minutes and then the players revert to the same old crap we have seen for past two years.
      In the match against Bolton however we were on top for vast majority of the match, playing better football without producing the goods.
      We are getting better, whether it will be enough to keep us up we will find out at the end of the season, but if we panic now, we will certainly be relegated

• February 27, 2014 at 20:38

@DanLion: I AGREE we have 14 games to play I dont think OLLIE knows his best starting 11 .WE ALL NEED TO THINK POSITIVE .

• February 27, 2014 at 10:54

Aldo, How doe's these interviews and quotes come about? Doe's Ollie call you up and tell you this stuff or do you ask him these questions?

• February 27, 2014 at 11:29

@Eightieswall: Spoke to Ollie on Tuesday night for 25 minutes. Quotes you see on NAD and in the paper this week were from that phone call.

• February 27, 2014 at 11:06

ROLL ON SATURDAT AFTERNOON 3.00PM....................
    SHOULD BE A GREAT MATCH AS IS USUAL.............
    [ BRIGHTON USUALLY BRING A FAIR TURN OUT ]
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    THE STORM.........................

• February 27, 2014 at 11:39

@bermlion: stir em up Norman!!!!!!!!!!

• February 27, 2014 at 11:39

Holloway less talk, more goals.

• February 27, 2014 at 12:34

Whats the old proverb: If you can keep your head whilst everyone around you is losing theirs ... then you obviously don't understand the severity of the situation!

In Ollie i trust!
    2 - 1 to Millwall saturday!

• February 27, 2014 at 12:47

Lets hope they aint singin "We're GAY...an we're beating you..." like last season...made me chuckle then but will defo make me cry this time round.

• February 27, 2014 at 13:16

Getting tired of hearing these statements about how strong a man or manager is. Bottom line is Ian, you've done f*** all so far. If anyone needs a kick up the a*** its you son!

• February 27, 2014 at 14:20

Trouble is, I think he keeps his head in a jar of brine!!

• February 27, 2014 at 14:22

A bit glib saying: 'everything has been blown out of proportion because we lost a game'

That match was not just a game but a season defining moment - the win would have lifted us literally and figuratively and lend us a tiny bit of breathing space. That game's result has now left us wide open for all the no hopers around us in the league

• February 27, 2014 at 15:04

It just seems that his comments go around in one big circle...from not going down to we might...from players doing their bit to some are not good enough. Many Millwall fans saw last Saturday as capitulation and view relegation as the expected outcome...many fans are resigned to this and will soon stop listening to quotes designed to feed a media circus. Defeat at Barnsley was totally unacceptable...end of!

• February 27, 2014 at 15:14

Youre right drifter...lets just be done with the fella....sack him....bring in warnock an give him a few weeks to sort it all out an if he doesnt....sack him n all

• February 27, 2014 at 15:59

@Hurlocksgonnagetya: He's obviously here to stay until the end of the season, come what may. We might have a moan about his comments/results on here, but our crowd's have been really supportive so far. Think how much stick Lomas was getting by now.

But there's no doubt about how poor results have been. Despite all the nonsense about bouncing back-up if we go down, unless he makes more of a fight of it, there's no guarantees he'll be around come the start of next season.

• February 27, 2014 at 16:10

@Micky Lions: The support has definitely been there at games an lets keep it that way...we were all delighted with his appointment and knew it was gonna be a difficult task to iron out the mess lomas left behind but a few weeks in and already some of the vultures like drifter are starting to circle an b4 u know it holloway will become that little bald-headed c**t from palarse.

• February 27, 2014 at 20:13

As much as I expect us to go down I cant and won't be blaming ollie for it.
    I said on here last season when we had wood and hendo, that as much as winning is a habit, so is losing,
    both habits are difficult to get rid of which we are finding out right now, also as much as his comments are starting to wind people up I believe he'd say very similar if results were going our way and if they were none of us would bat an eyelid. Give the man a break, all he's doing is trying to restructure our club with for once, a football philosophy. We've never had one so how can we expect it to happen straight away ? I agree we haven't the luxury of time on our side and nothing is going right for us but, the man needs us to suport him, forget what he's done in the past otherwise we will only question his failures cause of the position we are in. He's in a no win - so are we at the min, so no wise cracks - situation. He cant be expected to name names so has to be clever with what he says and some of it will obviously be contradictive and some times controversial. Just give him a chance to get the job done, he's proved already he will drop anyone who don't tow the line and he doesn't seem to have too many favourites, yes his signings havent done it as yet and he also has more than one idea to try and change it when things aren't working, I'd much rather that than do nothing about it.
    lets stick by him and it will come good, even if it's next season in league one.

• February 27, 2014 at 22:52

i know the rot is deep.but i hope ollie can keep us up.if we dont start winnig at the den we are f*****.no one likes us we dont care

• February 28, 2014 at 11:26

Hate to be the one to point it out to you Oliie, but although we may have not lost 5-0 the players DID stop trying