Malone: My outburst at fans was wrong but it shows I care

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

SCOTT Malone believes that his heated exchange of words with Millwall fans at Barnsley shows how much he cares.

Malone was criticised by supporters on social media for lashing out at the away end during the latter stages of last weekend's 1-0 defeat.

The left back has admitted that his frustration at the result got the better of him and that he "lost control" of his emotions.

But the 22-year-old does not want his outburst to be misinterpreted as a sign of disrespect.

He told the Southwark News: "It was purely frustration. I was chasing the ball down but I couldn't quite get there and I ran it out of play for a goal kick.

"I was frustrated about that because it was a chance for us to get the ball into the box.

"When you're that close to the stand you can hear some of the abuse being shouted at you and I lashed out – at myself more than the fans, to be honest.

"But I shouldn't have said what I said because the fans spend a lot of money supporting us and they have the right to voice their opinions.

"I was wrapped up in the game and my frustration got the better of me.

"But it also shows that I care. I care a lot about the club and I hope that shows in all of my performances. I give everything for the cause and keep running.

"I desperately want to stay up because nobody wants a relegation on their CV. It's been my breakthrough season and I don't want to remember it as the year we went down.

"I really want this to be the start of something good at Millwall with a new manager and a new team, so we have to stay up.

"I lost control at Barnsley but that was only because it means so much to me."

Fans on Twitter also complained that striker Steve Morison mouthed off to the terraces, but manager Ian Holloway was not aware of the incidents.

Holloway said: "I didn't know about that. If I had known about that, I would have definitely said something to them.

"At the end of the day, we are all in this together and the players and the fans are as upset as each other.

"But our players should never react to the fans – we get back to work and get them back on side with our next performance.

"They were upset because we fizzled out – we made some bad errors and we went forward too early – but I'll certainly never argue with our supporters."

Millwall look to make amends for their shock defeat at Oakwell when they host Brighton on Saturday – and Malone insists the fans' support will be vital.

He added: "We need them to get right behind us, make as much noise as possible but also to be patient as well.

"It is up to us to go 1-0 up rather than keep falling behind. If we can get in front, I think we can start controlling games with our passing.

"We're at The Den and that's an advantage for us.

"It is going to be a footballing game – Brighton play a passing style and we are trying to do things the right way under the new manager. It should be a good game."

36 thoughts on “Malone: My outburst at fans was wrong but it shows I care

• February 27, 2014 at 09:16

I'm sure uve been called a useless c*** heaps of times by the fans SM, in the heat of battle s*** happens!!! I reckon "play on" Let's just get a vital win this weekend!!!

• February 27, 2014 at 09:16

HE IS STILL YOUNG AND WILL LEARN FROM HIS MISTAKES BUT............. WE NEEED TO WIN FOOTBALL MACHTES, END OF.

• February 27, 2014 at 09:27

Not sure if you are as frustrated as the fans SM, but I will let you have your say obviously, as we the fans only have the terraces and this site to show you our frustrations and emotions. I understand that you are a pationate footballer as I hope the rest of the team are about OUR Millwall. So go out on Saturday against Brighton, give nothing less than %100 and that will please US THE FANS WHO PAY your wages. Do it not and reep the conciquencies. Other than that good luck saturday and give'em hell as we will from the terraces.

COYL!!!!!

• February 27, 2014 at 09:28

Wasn't at Barnsley, but I'm sure the fans that made the long journey had reason to have a go at you, I'm a ST holder and at the home games you've been useless, can't cross and shooting as if you were playing rugby as for your defending???
    Up your game and be the Scott Malone of earlier on in the season when you was looking the best left back we had in years!

• February 27, 2014 at 09:39

Stop talking & get on with it!

• February 27, 2014 at 09:42

Don't understand why theres such uproar - some of our fans are absolute p***** and need to be told about themselves - as this very website proves time and time again!! He's young, he's good and actually gives a t***.... I think its a good thing we have a player showing such passion!!

• February 27, 2014 at 12:54

@TheBermondseyBomber: so the fans writing these comments don't give a t***? B******* mate, if he had a bad game( he's had plenty lately) then the lions fans that went oak well are entitled to vent there feelings and as a Professional he should except that and ignore it!!!
      Were you there?

• February 27, 2014 at 13:21

@dpendet: Who said the fans dont give a t***?? You've clearly not read my post correctly! So called "supporters" have questioned our players' commitment and accused them of not caring about the club or the shirt - Malone clearly does care!

Do you mean "their" feelings and he should "accept" that?

He accepted it and responded - because you've purchased a ticket and gone to Yorkshire doesn't give you the right to abuse anybody!

• February 27, 2014 at 13:37

@TheBermondseyBomber: you smart a*** c***, thanks for the English lesson, but your not that smart cos I wasn't at Barnsley if you read an earlier post!
          So a player retaliates when he gets abused and that shows he cares?
          I don't think so, he should up his game, that would shut us fans up!
          Hope the grammar was up to scratch you c***

• February 27, 2014 at 13:46

@dpendet: Are you more upset that I don't agree with you or the fact you've proved my point about the half-wit bunch of tools that post on this site?

You started talking to me sunshine - told me I'm talking b******* and called me a c*** - no wonder the tabloids have such a field day when it comes to our club when its fan base is represented by you!

Just so you know I don't give a f*** if you went to Barnsley or not !

Call me a c*** again, go on, just for good measure - p****!

• February 27, 2014 at 13:56

@dpendet: you mean to say - you're not that smart *

• February 27, 2014 at 14:19

@TheBermondseyBomber: I reckon you need a lesson in English as well mate, as your grammar is not as good as you make out to be. And stop calling us lions fans p*****!

• February 27, 2014 at 14:31

@dpendet: My grammar isn't that good to be honest but its a damn site better than yours you dunce! I called you a p**** and said earlier some fans are p*****!

Anyway you're boring me now so here's to 3 points on Saturday - COYL!

• February 27, 2014 at 20:55

@dpendet:

Wishing your Gran a speedy recovery mate

• February 27, 2014 at 15:16

@TheBermondseyBomber: yes mate, agree with you , 3 big ones on Saturday!
          P.s I'm only 7 so my grammars not that bad is it !!!!!!!!
          COYL

• February 27, 2014 at 15:46

@dpendet: C*NT

• February 27, 2014 at 17:09

@TheBermondseyBomber: if you cant give it you need to be able to take it and that's the problem with some of our fans! Well said!

• February 27, 2014 at 14:09

@TheBermondseyBomber: fans are passionate, things get said in the heat of the moment.

No one particularly likes being called a c*** even if it's just a throw away comment. Whatever was said to Malone he in turn gave some abuse back. He's only human.

Happens at every ground, in fact it's hardly news worthy at all so I will leave it there.

• February 27, 2014 at 10:01

every player that wears a millwall shirt should show passion. If you want to gob off to the. fans then get in the stand & do it or shut the f*** up as for ambler saying the players care more than the fans. Just proves he still don't understand the fans.

• February 27, 2014 at 10:02

We all need to stay together fans and players alike COYL!!!!!!!!!!

• February 27, 2014 at 10:32

Didnt make it Saturday so cant really comment but to me it sounds like something out of nothing. Hes a kid hes p**sed off. Were p**sed off. But at the end of the day were all in it together. At least SM is showing that hes listening to us.
    2 - 1 Millwall Saturday!
    COYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 27, 2014 at 11:10

YES, I DID SEE IT HAPPEN AT BARNSLEY, AND HEARD ABOUT THE BACK LASH ON THE SOCIAL - MEDIA,
    [ I DID NOT MENTION IT ]...........BUT AS ITS COME OUT, NOW.............
    LETS HOPE FOR SOME REAL FORM.............!!!! FROM OUR PLAYERS.
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN...................................KEEPING STUMP !!!

• February 27, 2014 at 12:34

Is anyone really bothered about something so trivial. It's what happens at football matches,lots of shouting abuse, and our supporters are the best at it, so they got some back,so what,big deal, Sunday mornings everyone's chucking abuse at each other, it's not personal.

• February 27, 2014 at 14:09

So SM gobbed off at some fans.......so what
    As supporters we are very quick to shout abuse at players, managers and refs....
    if we cannot take it we shouldn't give it.....end of
    anyone who is still moaning about this should get a life or else stick to strictly come dancing and give polite applause and when prompted go wild with excitement

COYL

• February 27, 2014 at 14:53

Bermondsey 35 dpendet 0

• February 27, 2014 at 15:57

I don't blame any player from giving some back , some of our fans crucify the players at every opportunity , no wonder they look like they don't want the ball half the time . Get behind the players even if things are tough .

• February 27, 2014 at 16:48

News just in : the BERMONDSEY BOMBER V DPENDET Chief supporting bout on the groves/ froch bill.

• February 27, 2014 at 17:04

Malone was probably the best outfield player Saturday and I can see why he would be frustrated as some fans abused him for no reason!

• February 27, 2014 at 18:35

@MFCTOMMY: I'm a fan of 40 years mate and I wouldn't want to play on front of our crowd , one misplaced pass and the boo boys are on your back instead of getting support they just get slagged off .

• February 27, 2014 at 19:27

S teve M orrisson
    S cott M alone
    S wearing M illwall
    S ado M asochism
    Silly M essages
    S tevenage M accelsfield
    S tarts Making sense

I 'll have a £10 double on Groves and the Bermondsey Bomber

• February 27, 2014 at 19:33

In Michael Calvin's book he talks of the time when James Henry goes up to jacket in the dugout and says , " arc at that boss, I've just made the only mistake I've made all day, and our own supporters are calling me a c***". Says it all about our so called wonderful supporters, or should it read woeful ?

• February 27, 2014 at 19:39

What an exchange of views, "fantastic" best laugh I've had for ages and the " I'm only seven " comment was brilliant. I'd laugh more if dpendet is only seven. Have a great day and let's get hard at it sat. Go lions, kick a***!!!

• February 27, 2014 at 22:46

we pay your wages c*** .show us the respect

• February 28, 2014 at 08:29

We have to show some too