I'll be ruthless during relegation battle – Millwall manager

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

IAN Holloway says he will be ruthless with his team selections between now and the end of the season as Millwall battle relegation.

The Lions boss insists he will not pick players who he believes do not have the stomach for the fight – and admits his starting XI against Brighton on Saturday could be telling.

He said: "I'd rather focus on the positives but if I need to kick someone's backside, I will. If I need to leave people out because I don't think they're trying hard enough, I will.

"If I have got to give someone a hammering, I will. I have got carte blanche to do whatever I like and I will.

"We need our fans to stick with us and I will guarantee them one thing – that everybody will be working until they drop.

"Did I see that from everybody at Barnsley? Probably not, hence I will be keeping that in mind when making my next selection."

Holloway believes Millwall are no more or less likely to be relegated than "five or six" other teams – and says nobody can predict how the rest of the season will pan out.

He said: "I have had an open and frank meeting with the players and I said a few bits and pieces. My job is to show them what they didn't do right and then go again.

"I am trying to work out why we're not functioning like we should do. If I'd had a full season of selecting the team, I don't think we'd be in this mess.

"I have taken over at a very difficult time – you ask anybody who's trying to turn a team around, it's not easy. It's about hard work, people who care and doing the right things.

"We've got 14 more chances and who is to say we cannot win enough of those to stay up? Nobody can, that's the truth.

"Nobody in the league wants relegation, but why are we focusing on us? There are five or six other teams who could go down with 14 games left."

60 thoughts on “I'll be ruthless during relegation battle – Millwall manager

• February 26, 2014 at 11:01

It's not hard to work out what's wrong We can't score more than 2 and we can't defend stop talking b******* holloway and get it sorted or we are going down

• February 26, 2014 at 11:12

@woolwich lion: Typical comment.... what do you mean talking b*******?? If he is asked questions would you prefer him to do a Lomas and start talking about rubbish or actually saying he will be ruthless and making decisions based on hard work and performance??

Oh and do you not think he is trying to "get it sorted"??

• February 26, 2014 at 11:17

@Bradders: I like what I am hearing from him, he is demanding desire, commitment and quality, isn't that what Millwall always wanted to see? If you don't like the comments don't read the posts, you'll find your blood pressure drop dramatically and you can just turn up on Saturday and be surprised at what decisions he has made. Personally, I like to hear what is going on, even if it is just messages from the management team.

• February 26, 2014 at 11:18

@Bradders: Sorry Bradders, my comment was aimed as a response to Woolwich Lion, not you.

• February 26, 2014 at 12:04

@glyngo: anyone can talk a good game I must be the only consernd fan that we can't score can't defend teams around us have games in jan yes the performances have got better but the results haven't I'd rather us play dirty and win than attractive football to scrape a draw or lose its all about results at this time of the season IMO

• February 26, 2014 at 12:12

@woolwich lion: You didn't say anything about scoring or defending in your previous comment.... you are right we can't score but we are defending better as a team until Holloway goes "Gung-Ho" to try and win the match.... or would you prefer a nice 1-0 loss rather than going for it?

He knows our weaknesses, Holloway has been around the block and will be working on those to make them right.... but doesn't happen overnight!

• February 26, 2014 at 12:19

@woolwich lion: I don't disagree with anything you just wrote, but I thnk the fact that Ollie is sharing his concerns shows that he is not yet in full control over this squad, and as we now both KJ and SL both had the same problem I am interested to hear how things are developing. Eventually we have to stop blaming the managers and start looking at the players who seem to be the one consistent factor in the whole debacle.

• February 26, 2014 at 12:14

@woolwich lion: Well done Stormin' Norman! You posted exactly what 'Ollie' is going to do at midnight 23 02 14 ( when you came back from Barnsley ) a good kick up the back side. Ollie is now listening to the Supporters.

• February 26, 2014 at 18:35

@woolwich lion: Your right and if he is asked questions should do a one line answere,end of. He's not obliged to appease anyone with long comments that come saturday still do not put the ball in the net.At the end of the day the buck stops with him like any other business.

• February 26, 2014 at 11:19

Am I missing something here or is this speech basically his job deiscription, surley you should have been doing this from day one ???

• February 26, 2014 at 11:29

@Barnlion: Barn fully agree that's what I did when I took over and I have a better record than him, but no one on here as ever said sorry to me.

• February 26, 2014 at 11:47

@lomas a ledgend: know one said sorry to you SL cos you were a useless c*** !!! IH is trying to turn it round after all the shower of s**** you bought ( although it's taking longer to do than I thought ) so go f*** yourself u ginger c***!!!

• February 26, 2014 at 13:27

@dpendet: That's your opinion plenty dont.

• February 26, 2014 at 13:57

@<a href="#@lomas a ledgend: like your team selections and your tactical know how dopey the above does not make sense

• February 26, 2014 at 12:05

@lomas a ledgend: looks like we got a anorak or vermin.posting..or he's got a right sense of humour...which one is it

• February 26, 2014 at 12:20

@lomas a ledgend: Dear Steve, legend is spelt without a 'D', so D for spelling I am afraid

• February 26, 2014 at 13:30

@glyngo: That's the Irish way of spelling it. Also I dont have a leg to stand on.

• February 26, 2014 at 12:59

@lomas a ledgend f*** off our site u dirty vermin c***.

• February 26, 2014 at 13:35

@block 28: I only played for them I am not a supporter of them, I will be there Saturday as usual hopefully beating Brighton to ease our plight.

• February 26, 2014 at 11:32

@Barnlion: I think you are missing something.... sometimes you play players because of their quality they offer the team over passion, commitment and hard work!

It's the same reasons why managers always stuck by Trotter because he was quality on the ball but put no hard work in.

• February 26, 2014 at 11:47

@Bradders: Bradders what you are talking about is not the same as what I am talking about, all I am saying is that Holloway is stating the obvious of what being a football manager entails, and I dont see why he is making it.

He is the Millwall manager with a two and half year contract, he has brought his own coaching staff in and several players as well into the club. He does not need to get involved with this site making excuses, just get on with the job he is employed to dao and lets all hope he gets in right.

• February 26, 2014 at 11:52

@Barnlion: I agree, but if the guy is asked questions by the media then what is the man meant to do??? I'm sure he would love to get on with it... but does the media, who keep pestering him, allow him to do his job??

Blame Aldo and the other journo's for asking Holloway questions every couple of hours not Holloway!!

• February 26, 2014 at 12:37

@Bradders: Bradders I know what you are saying as you have made the same point on here several times regarding IH having to answer questions just for copy on NAD, I am not blaming him just say ing maybe he should be more picky with when and what he says.

After all I am sure that the majority of us fans would have a talking clock as manager if it started getting the right results and moved us up to safety, as far as him being pestered he has made a living out of coming out with funny comments and being a "carcature"

• February 26, 2014 at 13:33

@barnlion: I give up!! This has all gone over your head...

• February 26, 2014 at 11:26

hes basically just took over FFS, hes inherited a squad that was unfit and playing a s**t long ball game. hes not going to preform miracles straight away hes doing the right thing, hes signed a two and a half year deal with us, hes not going to want to manage a league 1 side next season just like we don't want to be supporting a league 1 side. pi**es me off when people s*** off a manager that has one of the best cvs in this league and knows the division inside out. Holloway is the best person for this job.......I sometimes question what the hell some of our fans are thinking with the stupid comments. COYL MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

• February 26, 2014 at 23:00

because some supporters have not got a Scooby do.

• February 26, 2014 at 11:31

At the moment it doesn't seem that to many of the players have the bottle to get the job dun but confidence is a massive part of the game and can turn with just 1 piece of inspirational play, I hope the boys throw caution to the wind and go back to playin like they did when they just loved the game and before money etc became the major factor. Sounds like w*** but the best times you have in ya life is when ya really passionate bout somethin, whether it's rootin, a job, ya kids or the game you love passion is when you do it the best. Win lose or draw, wot a f***** club this is and let's raise hell doin this together.

• February 26, 2014 at 11:48

look lets just get behide the team on saturday.hopefully get 3 points .every game now is a cup final.simple as .no one likes us we dont care.

• February 26, 2014 at 12:07

Don't worry Ollie millwall fans might hav a go at the players at matches & on here. But we are all & always will stick by our wall. All we ask is the same from the players.

• February 26, 2014 at 12:45

Another day another soundbite, These journo's must wait outside ollies house and hope he says something.

• February 26, 2014 at 12:47

Ollie bites yer legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 26, 2014 at 12:49

Holloway has said the players will keep working until they drop, I hope he dont mean drop to league 1.

• February 26, 2014 at 12:52

@LEE1337etc: great post, agree totally , you show the common sense and loyalty a lot on here say they have but don't show.

• February 26, 2014 at 13:16

He is after players who are up for the fight and will die trying. First choice has to be Jimmy, followed by Dunney, Lowry, Woolford and Shittu. Any one else up for it? Form an orderly line and sign to say you will die for the shirt. Lets see who really has got the b*lls.

• February 26, 2014 at 14:00

@rikkiatwall: after saturday the mental one has told his players not to go public....Also i see berylson has fended of a deal by chinese investors...JB went on to say he is here to stay

• February 26, 2014 at 14:01

Robbo once but not now. Still don't rate our centre backs, to slow and cumbersome for my liking, they' ok when the ball is in front of em , but sideways and turning really not impressed, and it's not been addressed by any of the managers

• February 26, 2014 at 15:03

Dion Dublin "The Huddersfield wingers are scared to go to the touchline because of the noise the Millwall fans are making."
    Daily Mail "Last night I witnessed one of the most powerful displays of support ever seen at a football ground. When one side of the ground finished chanting, the next side took over and the melody continued all night. Millwall fans have a tainted history, but last night they were truly magnificent"
    That was evident throughout last night with the already excited locals being whipped up into a frenzy ahead of kick-off by the PA system belting out 'London Calling' by The Clash and Millwall's club anthem 'Let 'Em Come'"
    Mirror "On a breathless night with hearing aids at warp factor seven, Steve Morison sent Millwall swaying up Wembley Way again. Nobody cranks up the volume louder than Millwall, and the Lions' determination to end their play-off hoodoo was fuelled by a brand of fanatical support once enjoyed by dictators."
    Remember these days,14 games left lets get behind IO and the team and keep the Den an unpleasant place for away teams

• February 26, 2014 at 15:35

@millwalllion:
      Exactly as you have called it....

it is up to us to galvanise this team
      WE ARE THE SOLUTION that the manager needs to lift OUR TEAM
      lets have a noise like we used to have at the Old Den...for the rest of the season
      if it does not work (but it will) then we cannot say we have not played our part
      COYL

• February 26, 2014 at 15:36

@eio:
        I WANNA HEAR YOU SINGING MY NAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 26, 2014 at 16:50

@millwalllion: I remember that night. My mate (who's also a Millwall fan) was working as a Sky sports camera man and he was situated just behind Blocks 27 -28 and he said the atmosphere was mental and that the Huddersfield players were scared sh!tless of coming anywhere near our fans.
      Those were the days.

• February 26, 2014 at 18:05

@Syd the Lion: i was in block28 that night & the night we played q.p.r. The season they ran away with the league...tabaat made 1 run down the wing ...that was enough for him..didn't come near us again..& we beat em...i'll be in there again sat giving it

• February 26, 2014 at 15:19

We need 8 or 9 wins out of 14 it's that simple.Not holding me hopes up to be honest!

• February 26, 2014 at 18:30

@gavlionse15: only if the teams around us are going to get 9 or 10 themselves, which isn't going to happen.

Slightly better results than what they can manage be that 3 wins I couldn't care less.

• February 26, 2014 at 15:48

look its not to late .on saturday get right behide the boys . we still can stay up beat brighton then try get something at derby then the big one charlton at the den.ollie will keep us up i am sure.no one likes us we dont care.

• February 26, 2014 at 15:55

we have just enough to stay up but the f****** players got to pull their f****** fingers out .should never lost to barnsley but if we get our points at the den we will be ok.no one likes us we dont care

• February 26, 2014 at 16:00

I understand the comment that IH is making that "I will be ruthless in my team selections" because it is obvious that some of the payers are not up for it. What I am not happy about
    it that sounds like it means yet another merry go round of team changes.5 against Yeovil, 4 against Bolton, 3 against Barnsley. I still think the best bet we have in avoiding relegation is to pick the same team and formation barring injuries and suspensions for the rest of the season rather than keep chopping and changing players every game.

• February 26, 2014 at 16:37

thats the idea of a squad. the manager will pick from the pool of playets who he sees fit for that game. never has to be the same 11 simply because nobody wants to be told or dropped that they are not good enough to play. in training this week who has looked hungry ans sharp and drop the players who looked lacklustre or having a bad spell(i know that could mean the whole strikeforce but) but hey

• February 26, 2014 at 16:55

@DELBOY64: I still think that you are better off playing a settled team each week. Look at the top teams in this division and yes they have a squad of players to cover for injuries and suspensions but they only make changes to their starting eleven if they have to. Mind you we don't have the luxury of having eleven players who pick themselves.

• February 26, 2014 at 17:00

Bearing a miracle we are down 50 + points will keep us up but we've won 6 games out of a possible 32 and people think we are going to win 8 out of 14 that's All our home games and 1 away I can't see that happening

• February 26, 2014 at 17:12

run your F...king Bo....ks off and work your Ar... Off No Excuses anyone or well be relegated

• February 26, 2014 at 17:46

IH is sounding a bit desperate to me - saying that ' If I'd had a full season of selecting the team, I don't think we'd be in this mess' and '"I have taken over at a very difficult time - you ask anybody who's trying to turn a team around, it's not easy.'

Early on he gave the impression that visible progress had been made, especially after the Portugal sessions, but he now seems to recognise that the problems are more deeply rooted, despite trying to lift the squad with some decent signings.. He sounds pretty depressed to me..

I personally believe we are in terminal decline from this division and we should all prepare for it...

• February 26, 2014 at 18:13

Too right mate.....

• February 26, 2014 at 19:21

@shoot ffs: people keep saying the new signings need time to be beded in..wot i saw against bolton trust me there already tuned in...then wot looked like a winning team & formation he changed..now he's gunna do it again..the only person who aint bedded in..its hollaway

• February 26, 2014 at 20:27

@Jim28: Most confusing manager..........

• February 26, 2014 at 23:06

what do you expect in 7 or 8 games in miracles ?not with that shower we have at the back .Holloway needs time especially after taking over from that useless t*** lomas.

• February 26, 2014 at 19:26

3 wins in our first 9 games,3 wins in our last 23 games.this is relegation form by any stretch of the imagination.looking through the fixtures with an open mind i cant see where we can pick up enough points to survive.i hope i am proved wrong and Holloway whips this bunch of wage thieves into shape but i think it was all left too long.if the board had acted just a month earlier it would have given the new man 6 games before the transfer window opened to have a look at the s*** we had and maybe he would not still be doing that now and we might have a settled side that want to play for the club.

• February 26, 2014 at 22:57

I did think IH would get us a little bit up the table but having 2 points against teams around us I don't think with current players they are capable to play as a unit and have class to score.

Hope IH does get us winning but why ruthless with starting XI only - Feeney shouldn't even warm the bench!

• February 27, 2014 at 09:01

give it 5 more games and if this bunch dont look like turning it around then send the money grabbing te-ts back to where they came from and use the contracted players to get us out of the mess we are in