Millwall boss told squad to study Champions League ties

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

IAN Holloway hopes the Champions League performances of Bayern Munich and Barcelona in midweek will have inspired his players for their trip to Barnsley.

The German and Spanish giants both recorded impressive victories on English soil, defeating Arsenal and Manchester City respectively.

And Holloway told his squad they could learn a thing or two by tuning in to both games.

He said: "I wanted them to watch the Champions League this week because, in terms of what I talk about and how we try to do things, they'll have seen the best in the world doing it.

"I want us to get on the ball, make little angles so that we can pass it quickly and sharply. It is an education for everybody – it will take a while but I'm seeing an improvement."

Lions boss Holloway believes the improvements in his side's style of play were there for all to see against Bolton last weekend.

"I was very, very pleased with the attitude of the players," he said.

"I think the work rate of the team is back and the fitness is coming. I sent the players for a run on Tuesday and the results were better – someone was 12 seconds quicker than before.

"I saw more of the patterns that I have been talking about. When we let a goal in, my two centre halves just shelled it up in the air again, but after that they calmed down.

"When we did hit long balls in the second half, I thought we hit the right areas and Steve Morison caused them problems when I pushed him to the right.

"Whether I'll play him there again, I'm not sure. I know he can do that and it complemented the other attackers we had, but I need to get the balance right."

28 thoughts on “Millwall boss told squad to study Champions League ties

• February 21, 2014 at 08:54

Never thought I would hear Bayern Munich and Barcelona mentioned with Millwall.Am I dreaming.

• February 21, 2014 at 09:01

The mental one'st it again..gone right of the rails..who asks him these questions ..cos it dont do him any favours with the crowd

• February 21, 2014 at 16:54

@Jim28: Ha, Ha, Ha, Jim28, got to be somebody who's just out from the Local - Loonies Home that is asking these questions . ( I think Ollie just plays along with it ! ) .

• February 21, 2014 at 09:04

agree morison played well on the right, but that would leave no target man to play through the centre, if we could get two established wingers that tracked back well enough that morison didnt have to do their dirty work he would be 10x more effective, as imo hes one of the best target men in the championship - rarely loses a header and has great distribution.

• February 21, 2014 at 09:10

Beginning to share your optimism IH. Maybe we will see by 4.45 Saturday whether they were watching the football or the Brit Awards.

• February 21, 2014 at 09:43

@kenfromtheden: Barnsley fans used to sing 'It's just like watching Brazil' - there's obviously going to be some quality football on show on Saturday.

• February 21, 2014 at 09:24

MILLWALL PLAYERS STUDYING BAYERN MUNICH AND BARCELONA FOR INSPARATION TO GO AND BEAT BARNSLEY HA HA SAYS IT ALL.........

• February 21, 2014 at 09:49

@Mo Slater Fruit and Veg: Sort your caps lock out!!!!

You are most probably a market trader so used to shouting but no need for it when you're not selling fruit and veg!

• February 21, 2014 at 10:15

@Bradders: THAT WAS SO FUNNY I NEARLY FELL OF MY CHAIR

• February 21, 2014 at 10:21

@Mo Slater Fruit and Veg: Wasn't meant to be funny, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.....

If you are struggling to afford a new keyboard, I'll happily buy you a new one if it's busted! Also stop "liking" your own comments, doesn't make you bigger (although the caps lock is on!) and better.

• February 21, 2014 at 10:35

@Bradders: IF ITS ATTENTION YOUR LOOKING FOR WITH THESE NEEDLESS POSTS BECUASE YOUR WIFE IS AVEING IT OFF ELES WERE THEN YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE FOR THAT LAST COMMENT YOU MADE IM GOING TO LIKE IT SO YOU GET THE ATTENTION YOU DEEPLY CRAVE..

• February 21, 2014 at 10:49

@Bradders: Attention, trying to take the p*** out of the missus, where has this all come from.... I can see you are an angry little boy!!

I wouldn't waste my time with you.... I just don't get why you are typing with the Caps Lock on??? It's not needed!!

• February 21, 2014 at 13:00

@Bradders: What difference does it make, matey ? As long as you can read it, don't like it scroll on, SIMPLE ! ( Some mothers do have them ) this is a Millwall site that's all, NOT AOL OR CHAT - SITES , that has rules to go by.

• February 21, 2014 at 13:09

@Bradders: @BUSHWACKER14 - If it doesn't make a difference then why is there a need to do it in the 1st place???? Why can't he just type with caps lock off like every other normal person or is he special and has to be different?

It annoys me just seeing it and has annoyed people on here before on other articles!

• February 21, 2014 at 16:28

@grassgrower: @Bradders: That a sign of weakness if you get annoyed over something so SIMPLE . ( Millwall Fans Are Strong Always! ) so just ignore it. Everybody can please themselves on here.

• February 21, 2014 at 10:28

Every week we talk bout winning, every week we nearly win. This week lets do sum serious damage to the opposition, lots of goals , millwall madmen on the run, drinkin p*** and havin fun, up till now we've had no luck, we,l win this week or go and get f*****

• February 22, 2014 at 00:19

@grassgrower: hey bushwhacker, I wasn't involved in that stoush, I was just havin a beer and tryin to relieve my boredom with sum poetry.

• February 23, 2014 at 12:27

@grassgrower: yes, sorry Grassgrower.......like the poetry......do some more, we need something to cheer us all up ( do you do RAP ? )

• February 21, 2014 at 10:43

Stop talking a good game, get up to Barnsley and let the football do the talking and give them a good hiding.

• February 21, 2014 at 12:15

I think Ollie's got a point with what he's saying here.
    If he is trying to get us playing in a similar style, our players should be watching these types of games, seeing as both Bayern Munich and Barcelona are the best in the business at doing it.

• February 21, 2014 at 19:05

@Syd the Lion:

In any area of life, if you want to succeed then you try and emulate the best and that is what IH is trying to get through to the players. We cannot hope to be as good as these clubs but if the players can learn anything then these are the tactics to follow.... to mne.dominate the possession, always be in a position to receive the ball from a team mate....sounds pretty basic to me....

but it involves a lot of hard work, hard running..being brave enough to put your foot on the ball...the complete opposite to what we have seen for the past few years.
      If we follow this style of play then we will become a better side...so simple and so much nicer than watching the hoofball that we have seen for ages at The Den

COYL

• February 22, 2014 at 15:27

@Syd the Lion:
      If he wants us to play in a similar style I suggest he goes out, buys untold Euro Lottery tickets and hopes to win enough to buy a whole new team capable of playing that way.

But in the meantime a point or three ground out playing sensible, grounded football would do nicely - and frankly I don't give a t*** whether IH gets bored by it cos he isn't being paid to enjoy himself or experiment with brave new formations - he's being paid to extricate us from this s**** situation by any means possible.

• February 21, 2014 at 12:56

Study this, bring us 3 points get us out of this hole ASAP

• February 21, 2014 at 13:39

Oli Oli Oli , oi oi oi, just get us out of this relegation Messi we are in, watch out the rest of Europe, we are Millwall ,we are not only the best team in London , but the best team in the World, well we could be if Oli can get the players to watch the world cup ......who knows...

• February 21, 2014 at 15:14

I TYPE HOW I WANT
    I TYPE HOW I WANT
    I NEED ATTENTION
    I TYPE HOW I WANT

sorry Bradders

• February 21, 2014 at 15:27

@harryfabian: Hahaha.... It's ok Harry you can join Mo and the Charlton fans on the special blue bus who thoroughly enjoy licking windows!

Sorry Harry

• February 21, 2014 at 17:32

Forget Barcelona and Bayern, the model to follow IS Swansea City, superb last night against a top Napoli side. Swansea are the club that should be emulated IMO

• February 22, 2014 at 03:30

I don't see anything wrong with watching and studying the best teams in the game.. Let's have it right they won't get any negatives from it. You moaners remind me of that green goblin from that adult learning advert shouting "you don't want to leeeeaarrrrrnnn"

Ha ha cheer up lads he's not mental he's just out spoken and I f***** love it!!!!

Coyl