Millwall top scorer's bravery on the ball earns Ollie praise

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

MARTYN Woolford has been praised for his bravery in possession.

Millwall's top scorer took his tally for the season to seven with the equaliser against Bolton last weekend – his second goal in three games.

And manager Ian Holloway has hailed the versatile midfielder for embracing his possession-based style of play.

"Woolford is a great lad," the Lions boss said. "He's enjoying his life and scoring goals. He's in a fantastic run of form and I'm still finding out where his best position is.

"I love his finishing and the way he strikes the ball. He looks like he's got goals in him and he's learning to understand two or three different roles, which helps coordinate the team.

"Against Reading, he was our best player because he constantly wanted the ball. If the ball doesn't come to him, he goes and gets it. He's brave.

"You have to be brave, you really do, particularly when you don't quite yet understand the overall structure, the style of play and where the spaces are going to be.

"The more you do something, the more you understand where the space is. That's why the likes of Everton are passing the ball now.

"If you watched Barcelona on Tuesday, they understand where other people are going to be, all of the time. My boys are doing it from fresh and it's tough for them."

Speaking immediately after Woolford scored his latest goal, Holloway revealed that the 28-year-old has expressed a desire to play as a striker.

He said: "Woolford was our top scorer when I came in, and when we went to Portugal he said to me, 'I'm your top scorer, why aren't you playing me?'

"I told him he hadn't scored for me yet! Now he's my top scorer and I'm delighted for him.

"The great thing is, he thinks he can go up front as well, and he's still scoring from midfield.

"When I get my two widemen scoring, my centre forwards scoring and my midfield three scoring, I'll be more than happy.

"At the moment we are creating some chances, which is nice, and we are doing it at a time when it's bobbly and windy. You've got to be brave, stick to your guns and keep going."

11 thoughts on “Millwall top scorer's bravery on the ball earns Ollie praise

• February 21, 2014 at 07:58

When watching millwall v bristol...we were winding there subs up..woolford was one of em..sum one shouted if your not in that starting 11 you must be s***...MW looked & started to giggle...he came on for city & scored...then KJ got him...he struggled some of his games was poor ...i fort wot a useldess sod...but i'am pleased to say i was wrong..not only is he our top scorer his all round play has vastly improved...mostly due to one man ...himself..keep it up

• February 21, 2014 at 08:11

@Jim28: that's right jim, & he has shown great composure on the ball and is not afraidbto bring it down and go round players. I think he has neverbplayed better football than he is right now.

• February 21, 2014 at 08:01

Woolford lion of south London, good on ya for earning sum praise but Marty son , we need ya to play like a man possessed! Go to the next level and do it, Jesus luvs you and so does Ollie !!! Bravery and millwall SOUNDS GOOD!!

• February 21, 2014 at 08:34

Definitely the most improved player at the club, certainly a very good shout for player of the season. Any midfielder who can get into double figures regarding goals, and I'm sure he will has to have something about them. Playing as a striker, who knows might just be worth a try. Although we have enough strikers and its time they started to deliver.

• February 21, 2014 at 08:55

Martyn I think you should show our strikers where the back of the net is coz we need goals and they ain't coming soon enough or tell em you'll have there posisition might wake em up a bit

• February 21, 2014 at 09:20

Woolford is player of the season already it's a shame is will to win ain't rubbed off on the others if half our team played with his passion & workrate we would be in the top half of the table. Well done wooly keep it up

• February 21, 2014 at 09:52

He has been a cut above everyone else this season, confident on the ball and playing positive football as well as being the most consistent player this season!

Hats off to "Where's Wooly"!!

P.S just wish the other players would try and play with the belief and confidence that Wooly has!

• February 21, 2014 at 11:05

Judging by the warm up routines, he is one of the sweetest strikers of the ball at the Club. Watch him next time they are practicing, he shoots with both feet, but his left foot drills the ball and almost never off target.

• February 21, 2014 at 11:23

@">glyngo what! I hav to come out of the pub earlier.

• February 21, 2014 at 13:33

Glyngo, I was watching them practising shots at the goal before the Bolton game and mentioned to my daughter how worrying it was that most of them missed when they only had the goalie to beat.

Block 28, think i may take a leaf out of your book and stay in the pub longer, then i wont have to watch the ball constantly drift wide or go over the top.

• February 21, 2014 at 17:28

@glyngo: They have warm up routines ? I'm on my 5th pint at that time...