Robinson among Millwall players made available for loan

©
©

IAN Holloway is willing to sanction a loan move for club captain Paul Robinson.

Robinson has made just one appearance – in the 3-1 defeat at Burnley – since Holloway was appointed Lions boss.

The 32-year-old has battled a catalogue of injuries over the past 18 months and has found regular competitive action hard to come by this season.

Holloway has confirmed that Josh Wright, Jack Smith and Justin Hoyte are also available on a short-term basis.

But Robinson would not be allowed to leave The Den if fellow defender Danny Shittu picked up a niggle.

"Robbo needs to catch up," Holloway told the Southwark News. "He is a little short of match practice and I would loan him out if I could.

"He played the other day for the U21s, showed a great attitude and he's a fantastic leader.

"But would I play him and Danny in the same team? At the moment, probably not, and I think he knows that. Last weekend I needed Alan Dunne's pace and we had a better balance.

"We sent a circular out on Tuesday which said: 'I have a few players who I would loan out, please call me and I'll do it short-term. They're good players, they're just not getting in at the moment. They'll help you and we'll do it for a small percentage of their wages.'

"But if we get another injury, and Danny goes down, Robbo won't be available.

"If clubs want to take him, it would have to be right now. You can't get his sort of experience these days so hopefully that might be the case and something happens.

"At the moment he's still part of my squad, he's working hard and I'm happy with him. To be honest, I'd rather have him in my group so that he understands what I want him to do."

Holloway will not hesitate to plug gaps in his squad with youth team players, having named 20-year-old midfielder Jack Powell on the bench against Bolton last weekend.

The Lions manager said: "I am looking at young Jack, who scored again for the U21s, and he is jumping up and down shouting 'what about me?'

"It's all about freshness, getting the right energy and balance.

"If you look at Wright, for example, he has only played seven games all season and that is not enough. He needs to go out on loan and get up to speed for me to judge him fairly.

"Sometimes you need some youth instead."

30 thoughts on “Robinson among Millwall players made available for loan

• February 20, 2014 at 09:08

Mixed emotions with this one. Seems fair that he go out to get match fitness elsewhere. But is this the beginning of the end for Robbo?

• February 20, 2014 at 09:53

@Brooks88: could all so be the be the making of robbo...

• February 20, 2014 at 10:42

@Jim28:

Granted, but from this seasons performances it's difficult to judge

• February 20, 2014 at 11:10

@Brooks88: I feel quite mixed about this too. Maybe he has lost match fitness, but he certainly knows what playing for Millwall is all about, unlike some players brought to the club in recent years.

I would like to know who sanctioned the signing of Hoyte in January. He didn't impress on loan and was then signed by the club after Lomas left. About as much sense as signing Marquis, who's never going to be part of first-team plans.

• February 20, 2014 at 15:27

@Micky Lions: I'm with you mate re Hoyte. I sent an email to the fotb, asking who sanctioned the signing. He told me that the deal was done when lomas was here and Millwall did not want to renege on the deal to take him on an 18 month contract when the transfer window opened. Basically to save face they went through with the deal.

As you will recall we were manager less at that time, so I also asked why there was no get out clause in the deal.

After all what business would sign new
        Machinery if a month down the line they sacked the operator?

The answer was what sort of company would continue to trade losing £5m a year?

Why can't we have a fotb who answers serious questions with straight answers?

Oh and now he wants our votes. Not from me this time, hopefully someone will oppose him this time.

• February 20, 2014 at 09:13

Think he made ot clear when he played Dunny last week and Robbo was on the bench, but I bet robbo was thinking when he saw Boltons goal go in, I would have won that header and cleared my lines, But its a shame and I do really wish him the best and why would not some one snap him up ( 1 careful owner will accept part ex).

• February 20, 2014 at 09:42

@Barnlion: you cant say he would have cleared..( 1) he is not match fit & 2 dunno is on top of that dunno is faster when their both at peak fitness...& in football nothing is certain

• February 20, 2014 at 10:08

@Jim28: Jim, I am not saying that, its just my take on Robbo sitting in the dugout thinking that to himself, as I am sure he must have otherwise he would not be human mate.

• February 20, 2014 at 10:16

@Barnlion: maybe the old robbo would of but I don't think he would of done much now. as much as I respect him, his been useless in the air this season.As soon as he got dropped from the squad, set pieces haven't been such a nightmare. I think this could be the end of robbo best of luck!!!!

• February 20, 2014 at 09:34

Pity, he has never looked the same since the injury.

Old Father Time is the one manager that never gets the sack.

• February 20, 2014 at 09:35

Can't say I'm surprised.
    Unfortunately for Robbo, being out for nearly all of last season has caught up with him this season.
    Ollie wants us to play the ball out from the back. Not really Robbo's style!
    Good luck Son, propa Millwall Legend!

• February 20, 2014 at 09:38

When you are in a relegation battle it is probably not sensible to loan out the club captain. We need Millwall people / characters at the moment, rather than a collection of journeymen who have no real identity with the club and have yet to deliver anything of significance. He talks a lot but does IH really understand our club?

• February 20, 2014 at 10:13

@drifter: Thats true drifter, when you are in a battle you need those who have been there before Wembely 2 years ago, I know he will do a job if he goes to someone else, but I would like to see him back with us when he packs up in some capacity, good bloke and good CB before the injury, good luck Robbo.

• February 20, 2014 at 15:04

@drifter: agree in part drift, but have you thought that maybe he's showing robbo some respect by giving him a chance to get some game time in someone else's first team rather than in our uncompetitive u21's for a month or two ? i think it's good management myself, honest upfront and no bull s h i t.

• February 20, 2014 at 10:19

After reading the article..robbo ( wembley winner )..may still have a futre at the club..only if DS picks up an injury...this is always possible..normally for the first 2 months of tie season...the thing is does robbo want to be a spare part..dont think so..THE END IS NIGH

• February 20, 2014 at 10:21

@DRIFTER: dunne, LOWREY, shittu , beevers, Malone, plus all the midfielders are our players, and are very much part of the club. Our forwards are on loan but what's that got to do with Robbo. Even morro who is on loan was our player,but we sold him,then brought him back. So who is do you think don't identify with the club?

• February 20, 2014 at 10:21

I agree but Robbo has struggled - albeit that his presence around the club is massive. IH needs to deliver some results rather than talking about delivering them. Some of the people he has brought in are no better than some of what we have got - and although he keeps talking about fitness - some of the recent imports plainly are not fit. Also some team selection has been questionable - at best and as for substitutions - my Mrs would have more idea.
    If IH had any WH connections we would not be putting up with his results performance thus far.

• February 20, 2014 at 10:49

SORRY TO SAY ROBBO LIKE MANY OF THE OTHER SENIOR PLAYERS ARE NOT SAFE THROUGH REPUTATION ANYMORE AND ARE FIGHING FOR THERE PLACES LIKE THE NEXT MAN....... THANKS FOR YOUR EXCELLENT SERVICE ROBBO BUT INJURY HAS GOT THE BETTER OF YOUR CAREER AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE REMBERED AS AN ALL TIME MILLWALL LEGEND..... BUT TIME FOR A NEW MILLWALL LOOK AND A FRSHEN UPP.......

• February 20, 2014 at 10:55

A big figure and a real Millwall player, but Robbo isn't the player he was. I am not sure he is really good enough at Championship level, where is lack of pace and poor distribution is exposed. Since his injury he has had a mobility issue as well. Age has also caught up with him.
    We need quicker centre backs who can pass the ball out and I am afraid Robbo's time is up.

• February 20, 2014 at 11:26

I would put him out with a view to recall him coz we ain't blessed with much cover in CB position. I personally don't think Robbo would want to leave millwall judging by the way he was jumpin up & down on the touchline last sat. Why not let him join Harris with coaching young players. Worth a go.

• February 20, 2014 at 11:30

We got rid of Darren ward cos he had become a bit slow and had lost his edge, unfortunately Robbo has reached the same stage, he's yesterday's man, shame.

• February 20, 2014 at 11:49

Match fitness only no good him going to a club and sitting on the bench, same ad josh wright who is young and can onky get better but needs matches, smith and hoyte can f--k off

• February 20, 2014 at 11:50

A true lions legend and seems to be a nice bloke when getting interviewed, but nothing last forever and I think Robbo has been off the pace this season.
    Good luck mate, I'm sure there will be plenty of takers!

• February 20, 2014 at 12:02

I bet Robbo is wishing KJ would of sanction that transfer to Reading a couple seasons ago when they started slow in this division before finding their feet and gaining promotion to the prem. Funny how a footballing career can turn on a dime when you least expect it. Good luck Robbo wherever your last contract may take you but I doubt there's anything more millwall can promise you at the tail end of career mate.

• February 20, 2014 at 12:19

WELL, IT WAS ON THE CARDS...........IF WE ARE HONEST !!!
    ROBBO WAS A GOOD SERVANT, BUT THERE COMES A TIME WHEN YOU HAVE TO MOVE DOWN THE SCAKLE A LITTLE, IF YOU WISH TO PLAY ON AS A FOOTBALLLER...............
    [ WE AT THE DEN NOTICED IT FOR SOME TIME ]
    SO NO SURPRISE WHEN OLLIE AND THE MANAGEMENT FITNESS TEAM SAW IT.
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WEDONT CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN ..............WISHES ROBBO ALL THE BEST.

• February 20, 2014 at 13:23

I wished I could turn the clock back but alas I cant best o'luck for the future Robbo
    as for the rest of the team IH needs to get his finger out and get rid of the dross and get points on the board as points mean prizes

• February 20, 2014 at 13:23

Head vs Heart. Robbos a Millwall Legend and always will be. But , for the good of him and the team is it time for pastures new ?
    Like Dunney , when you get to 31 , 32 , it's not always easy to impress a new manager.
    I wish him well whatever the outcome

• February 20, 2014 at 14:31

Robbo may have lost a bit of pace and that but what he has lost he makes up with his passion! Just like JT he's not fast at all but his passion for the club still makes him a top player

• February 20, 2014 at 21:07

He has served us well over the years an excellent professional and a great example for others I'm sure he might be management or coaching material . . But his time has come to move on now . . Personally I don't think he is championship quality now and hasn't been for a few years I wonder if K J would have him for a few months as a favour?

• February 20, 2014 at 21:19

the winds of change are blowing through the club,long overdue I am afraid.and think there will be more additions.to all millwall players going out on loan,thank you for all the ups and downs over the years.