Millwall signing hopes his experience will rub off on Malone

©
©

NEW Millwall left back Fede Bessone knows he faces a difficult task to dislodge Scott Malone from Ian Holloway's starting XI.

The 30-year-old is eager to play regular football after making just five senior appearances in the past two years, but accepts he is likely to be Malone's understudy.

And Bessone hopes his experience will rub off on Malone, eight years his junior.

"I like both full backs," he said. "I watched the Bolton game and they performed really well. Scott is quick, strong and comfortable with the ball.

"You need young players with energy and enthusiasm. I'm here to help with my experience – and he can help me as well because he knows the club better than me.

"At the end of the day we are a team – you fight for your place, but I am a teammate and I will help Scott if I can. He's a very good left back."

Bessone sounded out fellow Spaniard and Blackpool star Angel Martinez before putting pen-to-paper on short-term deal at The Den.

He said: "I've never worked with Holloway before but I used to play with Angel at Espanyol and he played under him at Blackpool.

"I like to know where I am going so, before I signed for Millwall, I spoke with Angel, and he said positive things.

"He told me Holloway is a passionate manager who loves to keep the ball and score goals. He has a Spanish style and that's good for me.

"It is great to find a manager who wants to play in the right way, in the way I have been playing all my life at Barcelona, Espanyol and Swansea.

"Hearing that made my decision very easy."

When asked about Bessone's arrival, Holloway added:  "My two full backs are running on empty. I've never seen anybody run up and down the field like they do – both are fantastic.

"I really like Bessone and he's trained fantastically well. He is wonderful on the ball and he'll give us a bit of calmness. I also think he could tuck in as a left-sided centre back as well.

"I don't think Mark Beevers really likes left back, and Shane Lowry is a centre half in my opinion – I wouldn't play him on the left unless it was an emergency."

24 thoughts on “Millwall signing hopes his experience will rub off on Malone

• February 19, 2014 at 13:41

Lots of permuations there !

• February 19, 2014 at 19:50

@NICKOLA: malone & bessone i'am sure i saw them on boardwalk empire

• February 20, 2014 at 08:58

@NICKOLA: OH YES, WE DO SEEM TO
      HAVE A LOT AF PLAYERS AVAILABLE AT THE MOMENT.................
      [ SO THATS A GOOD THING ], LETS HOPE THE ONES OLLIE SELECTS TURN
      IT ON AT BARNSLEY...................
      WE WILL BE THERE WATCHING AND SUPPORTING MILLWALL ALL THE WAY.
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN

• February 19, 2014 at 14:03

Maybe that's bye bye Beevers?

• February 19, 2014 at 14:14

I really hope his experience doesn't rub off on anyone. If he had been at the top of his game and played 100s of matches, fair enough, but he's only played just over 100 games in his career, and he's 30!

• February 19, 2014 at 14:14

105 CAPS IN 14 YEARS OF FOOTBALL........... WOULDNT REALLY CALL THAT EXPRIENCE

• February 19, 2014 at 15:04

@Mo Slater Fruit and Veg: Mo your right and for a third of those games that gave him the experiance where for Espanyol B team, so he never made it into there first team, but give the lad a chance as we do with every other player that we sign that no one has herd of.
      Look at the succsess of the likes of Bob Peeters.

• February 19, 2014 at 15:52

@Barnlion: ID GIVE HIM A CHANCE ALL DAY LONG BUT JUST DONT SEE HOW HE IS GOING TO IMPROVE OUR TEAM GIVING HIS TRACK RECORD GOING TO BE MOST WASTED WAGES... I.E JUSTIN HOYTE ASWELL.... SOMETIMES I FILL MILLWALL JUST GO THROUGH WHO IS AVALABILE AN GO YER HE WILL DO WERE TAKE A 50 50 GAMBLE ON HIM AN SEE IF HES ANY GOOD WEN 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 WITH MILLWALL THERE PONY AND A WASTE OF TIME... JUST FILL WE COULD TAKE MORE THOURT IN OUR SIGNINGS INSTEAD OF FILLING THE CLUB UP WITH DEAD WOOD PLAYERS!

• February 19, 2014 at 14:45

Don't know about you but I find the Spanish football boring. Watched Barcelona last night and they played keep football all in the midfield, it bored the pants off of me!

• February 19, 2014 at 14:54

@AireLys: I can't see us resembling Barcelona anytime soon so I wouldn't worry.

• February 19, 2014 at 14:56

@AireLys: i agree it is mind numbing the keep ball game, but they kept a clean sheet against a free scoring powerhouse like man city. But if playing the "wall way" with a bit more keepy possession then perhaps we could score and keep a clean sheet too?

• February 19, 2014 at 15:45

@AireLys:

Barca had four good chances and a good goal disallowed.

We are too used to 100 MPH football, we get found out in world cups because of it.

Meanwhile in SE14, I am happy that IH is getting on with a difficult task.

• February 19, 2014 at 16:05

@wongo:

Unfortunately the kind of football we love at Millwall has been found out at International Level, then Premier League level and now Championship Level. "Millwall type" players will never see success again like we have known in the past.

Personally I would rather watch exciting football at a lower level than the tippy tippy stuff of the higher eschelons - we might even win a few games!

• February 19, 2014 at 15:46

I like to see a bit more down the wings with Millwall then decent crosses into the box for the likes of Morro and DJ. Not this slowing down of the game and 50 million passes in midfield, but that's me!

• February 19, 2014 at 16:23

Sounds like another sick note. But if he could coach Malone into a decent left back that can only help us. I still think we need a winger that can cross a ball then we can judge our strikers.

• February 19, 2014 at 16:27

He has come in as back up for Malone so Lowry can focus on left sided CB. Makes perfect sense to me. Good work Ollie

• February 19, 2014 at 18:22

Totally agree with roders, he's here as cover until end of season which now means no more CBs playing left back which most on here have complained about. If JS was any good then bessone wouldn't have been entertained. He also knows his place in the squad so no big time charlie attitude which can only be a good thing.
    nice work ollie

• February 19, 2014 at 18:34

He has trained with us for a month, which shows IH can keep some things quiet, i think he has his back 7 now, Federicks, Dunne, Shittu.Lowry, Beevers, Malone and Bessone!, cover everywhere if/when required, ( sorry Robbo), Midfield looking good in my opinion now we have Williams and Upson and Woolford, Jimmy will run and breakup attacks all day and now has players he can give the ball to who want it, and they look comfortable on the ball, plus Martin and IF fit Bailey and Chaplow. my only concern is our forwards, i am a fan of Morrison but Jackson, Easter and Campbell and MacD all seem the same type of player, me i would play Morro and Jackson. But in Ollie we trust.. COYL

• February 19, 2014 at 21:12

@BazzaWalworthrd:
      That's some list - as if I wasn't depressed enough already!

• February 19, 2014 at 18:38

Is he gonna play or be a coach at Millwall? Thought Lomas was the one who had more coaches then good players.

• February 19, 2014 at 19:19

Time will tell, honestly I think he will make sub a couple of times and that's it.

• February 19, 2014 at 21:27

@lion01: To me, this looks like bringing someone in to boost the squad so that others can go. I reckon, we'll be saying toodles to Hoyte, Smith and Wright before this month ends. I'm assuming that Connolly has already gone.

• February 19, 2014 at 23:10

@NICKOLA: he's playing for Crawley now. That's more like his level!