Millwall boss not fazed by relegation rivals' games in hand

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

IAN Holloway is not fazed by the fact that Millwall would slip into the bottom three if teams below them in the table win their games in hand.

Charlton have played three fewer fixtures than the Lions, while Barnsley and Yeovil have two matches to catch up on following recent postponements.

But Holloway, when asked whether his side's position was skewed because they have played more games than their relegation rivals, said: "I don't care about anybody else.

"We've got to be better than three other teams. That is the remit. It's going to be tough. It was going to be tough because of the amount of games we've won already this season.

"I know there's enough games left for us to get enough points providing we start working and functioning as a unit and I think we are."

Holloway reiterated that he has been pleased with Millwall's recent performances, and in particular their resilience and fighting spirit.

"We've gone behind twice [against Bolton and Yeovil] and didn't show it this time," he said.

"That shocked me against Reading – we were so good against Reading and the second we made a mistake the whole ground emptied of buoyancy and we struggled to get it back.

"In the last couple of games I have seen us get stronger and stronger no matter what has happened and we certainly didn't get what we deserved at times.

"I want my attacking players to feel free and feel good about themselves because they're seeing some chances come their way now.

"Hopefully they'll start taking some of them."

31 thoughts on “Millwall boss not fazed by relegation rivals' games in hand

• February 17, 2014 at 10:03

I thought we played quite well against Reading, said to my son they were the best team l had seen at the den this season, and wont be far away at the end. We should have gone in front on that game, but there lies our problem, as on Saturday, we cannot score when we are on top, we did everything but, the knee off the line was unbelievable, the keeper had one of them days. 22 chances, vast improvement, can only get better.
    ps. Reading spanked QPR 3-1 so they are a good side !

• February 17, 2014 at 10:06

Keep playing like Saturday and we won't lose too many more. Would be nice to go 1 up and then see how we perform coyl.

• February 17, 2014 at 10:24

@jdt1885: the trio in mid in the first half williams making things tick with upson along side him solid...then woolford in front..easter & morro working hard up front...D&D very good at the back..Keep playing like that & the wins will come..starting saturday

• February 17, 2014 at 14:45

@Jim28: Jim again we are on the same song sheet!!! Believe!!! COYL

• February 17, 2014 at 12:11

@jdt1885:
      WE HAVE ALRWEADY BEEN I - 0 UP..............
      IN FACT WE'VE BEEN 2 - 0 UP AT BOURNMOUTH..........
      HAVE YOU NOT BEEN TO SEE ANY MILLWALL MATCHES ?
      LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ATTEND SSON !!!!
      " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN.....................SAYS, WE STILL HAVE THE WEB - SITTERS ABOUT !!!!!

• February 17, 2014 at 12:13

@bermlion:
        SPELLING CORRECTION :
        TO SEEING YOU ATTEND SOON..... [ NOT SSON ]

• February 17, 2014 at 10:09

Totally agree Ollie, we are playing much better football, keep creating the chances and we will start winning, starting with 3 points on Saturday. COYL

• February 17, 2014 at 10:29

There is nothing better than watching Millwall play and having the belief that we will win, even after going a goal or 2 down!!! It's fantastic and this performance has absolutely transformed everyone's belief's that we can do well this season!!

The team are clearly putting in the effort, creating chances and although they had a penalty saved we had 2 cleared off the line and should have had a penalty ourselves.... which would have been 4-2 to us.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, because there is a real possibility that we could get relegated but with Holloway, his positivity is infectious and attacking style is fantastic, even if we got relegated I'd expect us to come back up straight away!

• February 17, 2014 at 10:52

@Bradders: I would not expect us to come straight back up.Just look at the struggle Bristol City and Sheff Utd are having.We must stay up.

• February 17, 2014 at 10:50

Situation is we cannot afford to lose at Barnsley.And we must beat Charlton.

• February 17, 2014 at 10:51

It's all well and good having games in hand but you still need to win those games which is easier said than done!
    The good thing for us is we have to play both Barnsley and Charlton, plus if you look at the teams above us, we also have to play Blackpool, Birmingham, Doncaster and Bournemouth, so lets drag them into this relegation battle.
    Personally, I'm feeling really positive about this weekends game. Come on you lions Miiiiiiiillllllllllll......

• February 17, 2014 at 10:56

So refreshing to see positive posts on the website . Its was clear on Saturday, probably for the first time , the way IH wants us to play. I for one was surprised at playing Dunne at center back and leaving out Robbo, he knows Dunne is not the answer (not tall enough), but proving what can be achieved, with a player who can pass. Williams looked like hes played in this division all his life, and Upson can only get better. Bearing in mined what we have on the bench, midfield looks solid. Just a little bit of luck up front, we will win games. We must keep backing the players, manager, etc, the standing ovation was outstanding. So onwards and upwards, no going back !

• February 17, 2014 at 11:00

@sups8892: I couldn't agree more, it's great to see a bit of positivity and move away from the dross which is usually put on the website!!

• February 17, 2014 at 11:12

I think when Scotty Mac came on he changed the game for us, he looked far more hungrier than Morrison and his link up play was superb.

I would prefer to see scotty mac and jackson up front, the midfield is looking good and when shane returns in the middle of defence we will start looking good but we must turn our possesion in to goals, do that and we stay up.

• February 17, 2014 at 11:22

All this talk of the CB pairing on Saturday how good it looked, the first time Bolton asked Dunne to defend a cross they scored, I know Ollie said Fredricks was partly to blame but the CB has to get infront of the striker but Dunne started in front but the striker musseled him to get the header in.

What was Shittu doing handeling the ball when it was going out for a goal kick, if the pen taker had taken an half decent one it would have been 2 nil and good night, with all this happening when Bolton where one of the worse teams that I have seen this season at the Den and we did not finish them off with 4 up front again ?.

Beating Barnsley and the other 7 very hard away games is critical to us staying up there are also a couple of hard home games Brighton being one, I do think that Ollie has the right idea and I like the fact that he wants us to play good football, but I just hope he has enough time to to both save us and play good football.

• February 17, 2014 at 11:29

@Barnlion: Only a matter of time before we had a negative comment....

This game is in the past, we played well created chances, should have had a penalty or 2.... had a couple of goal line clearances and their keeper was their man of the match.... I think that says it all!!

We absolutely should have won the game but if we carry on playing that way, we will win more than we lose or draw, that's a fact!

• February 17, 2014 at 11:54

@Bradders: Bradders I try not to be negitive but I call as I see it maybe I should get the optician to put a tint on my glasses mate, I know about what there keeper done, but so did Forde as well. Yes we should have won we had enough chances but we did not and thats my point.

After last season I thought we might see some improvement in results but we are still struggling, I really admire you optimism regarding the remaining fixtures and I hope for all our sakes that you are correct , but the away games are very tough indeed, all I hope ids that Ollie gets a bit of luck and the side clicks to make us all happy (even me)

• February 17, 2014 at 12:08

@Barnlion: Are you sure you don't already wear those tinted glasses mate?!

You cannot compare last season to this season.... look at what we had up front Hulse and N'Guessan, Tyson etc we never really created any chances and couldn't score a goal at the end of last season whereas since Holloway came in, there is more belief in the squad and more creativity with better strikers.... these are facts not opinions.

These in THEORY should mean more wins and I believe they will because we are playing as a team now and everyone is putting a shift in! We was all over Bolton and although Forde saved a penalty the lads can take confidence from pulling another game back!

Just look at some of the facts and be positive as negativity isn't healthy!!

• February 17, 2014 at 12:46

@Bradders: Bradders its the results that concern me last year this year S*** results and only Peterbourgh being even more S*** than us saved us last term mate and you need the negitive so theat the positive can make a circuit.

• February 17, 2014 at 13:06

@Barnlion: last year the results were s*** and we deserved to get beat..... this year the results aren't great but since Holloway has been in the performance level has been far from s***.

This isn't an Electrical Apprenticeship mate, the negativity isn't needed when we have played as well as we have.... would have agreed if we was below par but isn't the case!

• February 17, 2014 at 12:11

I'm certainly fazed. Charlton have lost their last 4 I think, they aren't going to continue to lose every game. 4 points isn't enough and it should be 6 at the bare minimum. Relying on other teams to lose whilst we dither on getting a point here or there isn't good enough. IMO anything other than a win on Saturday is a failure. I don't really care about the level of performance or if we pass it from the back as long as we win. Let's just hope we can starting winning and our forwards can start doing what they're getting paid to do: score. Also, Charlton are due a heavy build-up of fixtures & their squad is small as it is, but all it needs is one win and then they're on a roll.

• February 17, 2014 at 12:28

We need hieght in the middle,on sat morison had a great game down the right,we could not have got better from an out and out winger but any cross was cleared easily by their big CB,s.
    The first half ball by upson to morisons chest was down the middle,moro,s goal against yeovil his finish was from a central position,i am told that morison and jackson played well at norwich as a striking pair,jackson playing off the bigger man,also our goal against sheff wed came from from an initial challange by moro when he was in the centre of the box [he got knocked out ] took no further part in the move but it was his challange that got the goal,IMO we need moro in the box when attacking.

• February 17, 2014 at 13:32

Bradders I know that you dont agree with my assesment of the team, but lets agree to disagree on this one, and although I may be negitive in my opinion I am sure that neither the players or Ollie take much notice of what I or othere pring on Aldos site, but as I pay to watch Millwall even I am entitled to have my view. But with 5 points from the 21 on offer over the last 7 games that Ollie has been in charge I would say that there is room for some improvement.

• February 17, 2014 at 14:22

@Barnlion: Not being funny, but I'm not giving opinions.... I'm giving you FACTS.... so whether you disagree or not doesn't make a difference...

I'm sure when you have been watching the games recently, you would have seen the improvement in the side as each game goes by... yes we haven't won as many as we should have but at least we are in the game!!! Better than getting battered 5-1 by Derby or losing 1-0 and playing terribly!

All I'm saying is it's best & easy to see the positives from the last game compared to the 1st game of Holloway's reign.

• February 17, 2014 at 16:14

For some fans who cliam they dont mean to be negative their having bloody good job

• February 17, 2014 at 16:18

@BARNLION: you ain't half miserable on here most of the time mate. Barn , we know the problems,we see em like you do, not enough wins, not enough goals, bla bla bla, but we can see improvements, and we want to be positive, Saturday we were very good,which we don't get to say too often. You say Bolton were crap,but you don't give your own team any credit for making em look it.when we are crap we will all join in the moaning with you,but don't keep finding something to moan about for the sake of it,we all know we are in the s*** ,but unlike you we sense a chink of light,so enjoy the moment.

• February 17, 2014 at 16:39

Despite only getting a draw Saturday, the main thing I took from that game and that I have not seen in over a couple of years, was thoughtful play moving from defence to attack. Cannot speak for away games as I have only done a couple this season, but not yet missed a home game and that is the happiest I have been walking away from the ground. Liked the way the new boys linked up and think that is the key to the end of season run in. I could criticize the 3 subs (on about 60 mins!) but we got away with it. I would hope as the midfield sorts itself out and the defence continue to pass the ball, as oppose to hoofing it nowhere that the results start to pick up.

• February 17, 2014 at 17:32

I agree with IH, lets worry about our results first. Must say at last it looks like we have 2 midfielders in Upson & Williams who look comfortable on the ball, make themselves available for a pass and have vision, also they both like a proper tackle and can head the ball as well! I think Lowery will be back Saturday and i would like to see Dunney at right back, thought the spurs lad looked nervous and in these games coming up i think Dunney will excel. Would also like to see Morro with Jackson up front ,with Woolford and MacD in the middle. But whatever team IH selects lets stick together , better to have the points on the board than games in hand in my opinion. COYL

• February 17, 2014 at 17:48

I managed to miss saturdays game but ive taken great heart from the positive comments from most of the people on here who went. Bloody hell we could do with a win though .

• February 18, 2014 at 00:58

@thecolumbusblock: keep on talkin the boys up, in the shops ,at the servo wherever we r just keep on pumpin the wall boys. Wins r close by and winning becomes contagious.