Millwall manager wary of Bolton's counter-attacking threat

©
©

IAN Holloway says Millwall will be less "gung-ho" against Bolton on Saturday.

The Lions manager started four strikers and two attacking midfielders in the 1-1 draw with Yeovil in midweek but is wary of being caught on the counter attack by the Trotters.

So Holloway admits his approach will be more cagey.

He said: "Bolton have got a very distinctive counter-attacking style. They will try to catch us on the break, so I'm not sure I'll be as bold as I was the other evening.

"I expected an open game on Tuesday because Yeovil were going to go long, quite direct, and I hoped there would be spaces for my front four to utilise.

"Bolton will plan on us being very open and will hope to counter-attack, so I do not think I'll be quite as gung ho.

"I've identified some weaknesses in us. We don't lock things down once we go attacking – we struggle to defend after our own attacks. Teams can break on us too easily.

"We can be a bit naive at times."

Holloway added: "If Bolton have got a vulnerable spot at the moment, it is their back four, so we'll try to get at them and put them under pressure.

"We need to push our full backs up and get more crosses in. Against Yeovil, we put the ball across and Morison scored a very simple goal, but that can be hard to deal with."

Millwall will move six points clear of third-bottom Charlton with victory tomorrow, albeit having played three more games than the Addicks, who are in FA Cup action.

"We're still looking over our shoulders because other teams have played fewer games, but if we get the right result on Saturday we can go above Bolton," Holloway said.

"I won't underestimate Bolton, but I'm confident we can beat them.

"If we can draw away and win at home, we won't have too many problems. I am trying to get the lads into an optimistic frame of mind so that they're anticipating a good result.

"It's about getting them out of the malaise they were in. I think that's gradually coming. I don't think they've actually given me a bad performance yet."

13 thoughts on “Millwall manager wary of Bolton's counter-attacking threat

• February 14, 2014 at 11:25

Let's have the same amount of effort and commitment that we showed against Ipswich please.
    If we do that then we will beat Bolton.

• February 14, 2014 at 12:53

@wall2wall: i agree with you there wall,where has that energy and commitment gone,when i saw the ipswich game i thought we have no problems in staying up ,lowry missing four games must have some thing to do with not being as aggressive ,i hope lowry see,s that he has to cool down because against ipswich and up untill he got sent off against sheff wed he was fantastic,IMO joint man of match along with danny shittu against ipswich ,and man of the match untill being given his marching order,s aginst sheff.
      I am hoping when he return,s he can play with passion but cool down a bit,perhap,s IH should give him a minder,so when it look,s like he is getting to hot and bothered the mider can try and cool him down,because against ipswich and sheff wed untill he went he showed what an asset he can be.

• February 14, 2014 at 14:02

@jim1222:
        Agreed Jim.
        We need that die for the cause attitude that we saw against Ipswich and yes Lowry was playing great in his natural position.
        Just needs to be controlled aggression otherwise he is no use to us suspended.

• February 14, 2014 at 12:05

Well at least they know our tactics now

• February 14, 2014 at 12:18

Hopefully Steve it's a cunning BLUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

• February 14, 2014 at 12:24

.must be a change. From Ollies post yesterday whe nhe said he wouldn't change our attacking style!unless this is a double bluff! COYL!!!

• February 14, 2014 at 12:29

This is a great chance for us to get some breathing space and also move above Bolton. Whatever team Ian Holloway puts out and which tactics he uses, I just hope everyone is up for it.

• February 14, 2014 at 13:19

Come on lads, it's mind games, Ollie knows he's got trotter in their camp, so he's putting out stuff ( like mourinho does) just to scramble the opposition's brains. He' s far too astute and experienced to tell them how we will set up and play. That was the plank's (lomas ) way, not this fella.

• February 14, 2014 at 14:23

I like a Cunning - Plan , ( I did say cunning ) , go to it Ollie, what about the crowd attendance? Will that be up ? Not gonna worry anyway, long as I get a burger & beer.

• February 14, 2014 at 14:57

Draw away, win at home, what luxury. coyl

• February 14, 2014 at 16:55

@WestKentLion: indeed. If we could do that we would be in the play off zone rather than a relegation battle.

COYL LETS STUFF EM!

• February 14, 2014 at 17:24

COYL!!! NUFF SAID

• February 14, 2014 at 20:02

Great piece of double bluff by Ollie. Less gung-ho eh? Well we have got some injuries in defence and after the team he put out against Yeovil I expect us to go 1-1-8 and I'm not talking about the £3 a minute directory of enquiries line....