Ollie won't sacrifice attractive style as Millwall battle drop

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway insists Millwall will play their way out of trouble this season.

The Lions are teetering three points above the relegation zone but Holloway is not about to sacrifice his attractive style of play for practical football.

The Millwall boss started four strikers in Tuesday's 1-1 draw with Yeovil and has vowed to continue making "brave" selection decisions in the final 18 games of the season.

He said: "I am going to implement what I want right now, plus a load of different things at the back which I learned when I was at Crystal Palace.

"I am implementing a structure, and I'm seeing it come. I'm going to be brave and I want them to be as brave as me and keep enjoying it. Sometimes you need to believe in a result.

"Against Yeovil, on another day, and with a bit more confidence, we'd have won. It was all a bit rushed – but I understand that, because it was a high-pressure game.

"We need to be more refined in our movements, but we'll get there.

"Every point we get is crucial – I think we have deserved more than the five that we've got in my first six games and I've been very pleased with 80 percent of each game.

"We've been good up to a point in each game, but we've fallen down occasionally on a lack of structure and understanding.

"The players need to be brave on the ball, and I'm going to be brave in my structure.

"I'm going to make them do it my way, and play the way I want us to, even though we're in a relegation scrap.

"We've got to get the balance right but I'm going to stick to my guns and do things how I want them to be done."

Scott McDonald made his first Lions start in almost a month at Huish Park after holding talks with Holloway about his future prior to the close of the January transfer window.

When asked about the Australian, Holloway said: "Management is about realigning people's thoughts, sometimes that's all that needs to be done.

"It was private what I discussed with Scott but he's had some difficult things happen to him during his footballing life and nobody wants to be at a club that's towards the bottom.

"There was a spring in his step on Tuesday, he looked a good player, he got hold of the ball and he had appetite. What more can I say?

"When you play for Millwall, that's what you've got to have and I don't care who you have played for before.

"I'm delighted for Scott and, as I said before, I don't shut the door on anybody. I want to get my good players playing better than they ever did before."

25 thoughts on “Ollie won't sacrifice attractive style as Millwall battle drop

• February 13, 2014 at 09:11

Ollie's a live by the sword type of bloke, at least there's no doubting what's on the blokes mind , hope he can encourage and extract the best out of the boys. It is a s*** fight we find ourselves in and frustration got the better of me yesterday but onwards we go to another battle arm in arm the millwall way.

• February 13, 2014 at 09:14

We need to average two points a game to ensure survival this year. If we can do that whilst playing attractive football then ok. If not, I'll cope with a few boring 1-0 wins.

• February 13, 2014 at 09:27

Worrying!

• February 13, 2014 at 09:48

@Adsy77777: After that statement all our opposition if they didn't know it already will just sit back and wait till we have over committed in attack and hit us on the break time and again. Its like taking candy off a baby.

• February 13, 2014 at 10:02

@Sealion: I am sure that although Ollie must have made these comments, are we to think that Friedman will plan his tatics based on this comment published in the Southwark News and on this site, I am sure this is just Ollie trying to distract us all and the opposition, and relive any pressure on the players, lets hope so anyway.

• February 13, 2014 at 09:28

I don't care how we beat the drop, as long as we do, so don't be proud IH and mix it up if necessary as I don't want to be watching league footie next season !

• February 13, 2014 at 09:36

We are playing much better football and had we taken 2/3 of the chances we had created we would have more points on the board. We are on the right track, even if relegation is the end result, the club is getting the right players in and building a style that weill get us future success. Of course, staying up this year would be a great start!

• February 13, 2014 at 10:09

@glyngo: i personally would settle for 3 strikers on the pitch..but i'am not the guv..so he can do his job & we will do ours ..cos if anyone's gunna get us up the league its the millwall faithful..c.o.y.w

• February 13, 2014 at 09:49

We just have to get some more points that's all, pretty or ugly. No match is going to be easy, but with the lions fans support. It can be done!

• February 13, 2014 at 10:12

The sooner this season is over the better because we need a major major player clear out. Burnley proved that quality over quantity is the way forward but this total squad rebuild needs to happen while we in the Championship over wise in if we get relegated to League One we might as well stick to most of the squad we already got since its suited to more their level unfortunately.

• February 13, 2014 at 11:38

@Bexley_Lion: I agree with the quality comment, and it looks like Ollie does too. I would argue that the squad would still need a clear out if we went down though, there would be too many players feeling agrieved at what happended and believing they should be playing at a higher level. Bet the atmosphere would be poor.

• February 13, 2014 at 16:36

@Bexley_Lion: I said the same last year - as long as we stay up, the sooner this season is over the better. We can use the summer to sort the squad out - the way it should have happened last time round.

• February 13, 2014 at 10:26

Yeah, I keep reading how we have 4 forwards on and people getting carried away,but listen, they are not playing as dedicated forwards, macdonald who is quality on the ball is playing quite deep,in front of midfield but behind the front man,the other 2 are out wide ish and dropping back in when we haven't got the ball, morro is the main front man, but I notice even he's dropping in deeper when we haven't got possetion, it's nowhere near as bad as it first sounds.

• February 13, 2014 at 11:43

@bordersarebest0170: I agree, we need to adjust to the new style as much as the players. In the modern game players generally have to be able to play multiple roles, gone are the days of strikers, midfielders and defenders. Players now fulfill forward or defensive roles all over the pitch, examples are players like Malone and Fredericks who play defensive roles but are very much part of the attacking midfield. strikers like Easter/Martin/McD need to be able to play int he middle of the pitch as much as up front.

• February 13, 2014 at 11:03

You cant play mind games with dodgy fuckman simply co he aint got a brain..come on mfc 3pts not only will we go above em can see dodgy getting the sacj...we can get 24pts from our remaining home games

• February 13, 2014 at 12:18

This is SUICIDE!! The team has no balance playing this way.I think he's just thinking I have four quality strikers here so I'm going to play them all at the same time.

• February 13, 2014 at 14:29

@gavlionse15: They have yet to prove their quality with us, past reputations count for nothing. Still hardly muster a worthwhile shot between the lot of them.

• February 13, 2014 at 13:26

There is no reason why you cant play 3 out of the 4 strikers with 3 reasonably disciplined midfielders and over lapping full backs, that's great attacking football and I am well up for that. BUT 4 strikers and 2 midfielders is too risky. We ain't no lab rat to experiment on! we need bravery of course we do, but Tuesday night and the 2nd half against Reading just didn't work for me.

Just reign it in a bit Ollie, yeah!

• February 13, 2014 at 14:51

Please let me know, am I the only person worried and angry about Ollie's statement? We could go down but at least Ollie would have stuck to his principles. He can always f*** off to another club but us supporters and indeed our club have to live with the consequences of his principles. I genuinely fear that relegation would be a disaster for our club with far reaching consequences. I personally am getting fed up of Ollie talking about himself whilst watching my team sink as he tries out his master plan. And for the record, apart from in very small patches, where is the attractive football he's 'sticking to'?

• February 13, 2014 at 14:52

Please let me know, am I the only person worried and angry about Ollie's statement? We could go down but at least Ollie would have stuck to his principles. He can always f off to another club but us supporters and indeed our club have to live with the consequences of his principles. I genuinely fear that relegation would be a disaster for our club with far reaching consequences. I personally am getting fed up of Ollie talking about himself whilst watching my team sink as he tries out his master plan. And for the record, apart from in very small patches, where is the attractive football he's 'sticking to'?

• February 13, 2014 at 16:13