Ollie wants Millwall to build on Burnley display at Yeovil

©
©

MILLWALL manager Ian Holloway believes his side have "tiny, tiny margins" to make up against Yeovil Town tonight after their 3-1 defeat at Burnley.

Holloway called on the Lions to be "brave" following their loss at Turf Moor and recognise the positive aspects of their performance, despite the result.

The trip to Huish Park on Tuesday starts a vital run of games for Millwall, who face fellow strugglers Bolton and Barnsley in their following two matches.

"We've got three fantastic games coming up and we need to get some points out of them," Holloway said.

"Given the way we started at Burnley, did I think we could take all three point? Yes I did. We need to build on parts of our play – we played very well in spells and deserved to score first.

"My defence kept Sam Vokes quiet, he didn't have a kick really, but Danny Ings is in great form and should be playing in the Premier League I think, and he did his thing.

"If we put in a similar standard of performance against other teams, I'm confident we can put a run of results together. I've got to pick my lads up and fire them up again.

"The players had Sunday off and came in bright and breezy on Monday morning. I watched the Burnley game back and for the first montauk-monster.com/pharmacy/zovirax 30-odd minutes, I was pretty pleased with it."

Holloway, entering the fifth week of his reign at The Den, admits he is still ironing out small but important issues.

"I couldn't get a message on at the end of the Burnley game to change my tactics," he said.

"I wanted to drop Steve Morison off, put three him up front, not with him in it, and let him flick the ball on. That's all I wanted but I couldn't get that message on.

"I sent a substitute on with it, and all of a sudden Morison was on the right. This is just how difficult it is when you have new faces – it's not excuses.

"That's just the way things are going for us."

The Lions boss also cited the slow reaction of his players to Ryan Fredericks' deflected cross which came back off the crossbar.

"I was fuming with that because as it came back out, we didn't knock it in," he said.

"Scott Malone was so far off of Michael Kightly that they actually had another attack. We should have pinned them in, put it back in the box and we might have got a second goal.

"These are tiny, tiny margins – we're talking two or three yards – but when it's going well for you, you believe in those things."

63 thoughts on “Ollie wants Millwall to build on Burnley display at Yeovil

• February 11, 2014 at 11:50

Ollie we need to keep all the forwards quite, not just one of them, so you were unable to get your message onto the pitch for a tatical change on Saturday, so they change you wanted to make is now out in public?
    I dont get the small but important issues if they are important then they are not small at least to us the fans, also the 3 fantastic games coming up will only be that if we take points from all 3 all 9 would be very good, regarding the tiny margins we all know about that, as thats what we have seen for the last twelve months.

Come on Ollie all the posing needs to stop get your tatics right and bring home the bacon tonight.

• February 11, 2014 at 12:01

@Alex Aldridge: Yes Alex have we had anything to be happy about, as a season ticket holder of long standing I would say that I am entitled to moan untill we start to produce displays that are worthy of praise, why should us at the Den always have to accept second best all the time.

• February 11, 2014 at 12:34

@Barnlion: Well Barn I make you right we have had to put up with sub standard performances when KJ was on his farewell tour last year and also when I came to the club but quickly became out of my depth, so all we are after at Millwall is someone who can deliver rather than just do sound bites, what do points make prizes that's what.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:02

@Barnlion: You are especially negative though. You are already commenting as if Holloway is Lomas. After FIVE games. This is nothing to do with the site BTW, just can't understand why you comment on every single article when everything is cynical/negative! If players/staff didn't talk to press after a defeat/before a game, there'd be nothing to talk about.

• February 11, 2014 at 12:35

@Alex Aldridge: There is a lot to moan about watching this rabble for a period.Barnlion is right.

• February 11, 2014 at 12:43

@Alex Aldridge:
        Pathetic response.
        Dont know why you singled Barnlion out but this is a forum so opinions and concerns are expressed or would you be happier if we just blew smoke up everyone at Millwall FC's a***.
        I'll forgive you if you admit your already drunk.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:03

@wall2wall: Barnlion was singled out because he's been here for ages and all he does is moan 🙂

• February 11, 2014 at 13:10

@Alex Aldridge:
            You'd miss him if he wasn't here.
            Send him an apology. It will make you feel better. Trust me.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:13

@Alex Aldridge: Bloody hell Alex, I am glad that is not North Korea, but as its not I will continue to express my thoughts on your journal unless you censor me for not towing the party line, as all of the contributors on this site pay to watch Millwall proberly unlike you with a press pass, we may not agree but surely thats what a fans forum is supposed to be. I do feel happy now that we have made it up.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:27

I'm just expressing my opinion in the same way you are. My opinion is that you moan at everything. Haven't censored anything, just joining in on the comments for once.

• February 11, 2014 at 17:20

@Alex Aldridge: Aldo, my son, I don't know how long you have been supporting Millwall but I am guessing it isn't that long because of your youth. Bear in mind that to moan, criticise, bollock and boo our own players when they deserve it is a Millwall fan's birthright. And to moan like Champion League winners of the Moaning title. Possibly this is because no team has had so much up and downs, heartbreak and joy, as a Millwall. Possibly because that's the culture South Londoners are born to. So Aldo, with the best intention, take a powder....you have the right to say what you like about your own team. Of course you have the right to moan at the moaners.

• February 11, 2014 at 12:52

@Alex Aldridge: why make public wot we already knew..all ht does is p*ss everyone of..that includes the players...its not the most positive thing to do

• February 11, 2014 at 12:54

@Alex Aldridge: Alex, to be fair, it's only natural a lot of us are going to have a moan when things are going badly - my Dad spent a lifetime moaning about Millwall, even when we were doing well.

It's great you provide an up-to-date news site (I don't look at the official site anymore), but we're a fickle bunch and there's no doubt our patience has been tested in recent years.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:09

@Alex Aldridge: I think you are out of order Aldo - no one is saying IH and the team aren't trying or haven't improved but we all know there are still significant weaknesses and if a long time follower of the club is frustrated at seeing 3 wins since September and numerous hammerings then they are entitled to speak their mind as you encourage

• February 11, 2014 at 14:25

@Alex Aldridge:Burnley are a quality outfit this season with an equally quality young manager but one thing that strikes me about Burnley this season is how small their squad is at around 21 players with a few youth players if needed and an overall squad age of something like 25. That's dam good as oppose to where we at at Millwall with nearly 30 players most of which are senior players in their last contract to two of their career. Burnley only utilise 3 strikers in Ings, Vokes and Barnes which sort if reminded me of us last seasons when we only really used Woods, Henderson and Keogh.

It's understandable given the managerial upheaval, injuries and suspensions that are squad right is so bloated but I know Holloway is fan of Mourinho's style of management and one thing Jose always said was he liked working with a squad of 22. Two very good players for every position, good for competition, motivation, balance and overall team morale. Do you think IH next season will try to go for more quality over quantity given there are around 10 players out of contract? I hope so.

• February 11, 2014 at 12:11

Erm isn't this just part of Holloway's attempt to get morale off the floor? Rather than just generic "come on lads we can do this" stuff he is citing examples where minor tweaks can be made - along the lines of we are almost there. Saying the next 3 games are fantastic must be better that putting pressure on the team by saying they are all cup finals - they are opportunities not threats. Not saying his approach is right, but can see what he's trying. A few more shots on target would help too!

• February 11, 2014 at 12:37

Sorry Ollie; I know you need to keep morale up but citing the burnley performance as something to build on - come on. We lost 3-1, our keeper saved a penalty and was MoM, we had two shots on goal. If you want to rally the troops I'd rather you referred them to the performance against Ipswich as the bare minimum. If SL had come out with some of Ollie's comments he'd have been shot down in flames. This is your team now mate, you knew what you had to work with and the Chairman has backed you by enabling you to sign three more players. 1 win in 5 is not good enough and if it continues would see us relegated. Before I get shouted down with cries of give him time, look at Stuart Gray, look at the new fella at barnsley and Doncaster. We haven't got time!
    He was brought in to universal approval as the man to save us, we need to get results. And before I get shot down in flames for not backing the manager and the team - I do, I will and I always will. I just keep being reminded of the story about the Emperor's New Clothes!!!!!

• February 11, 2014 at 12:44

It's been a hallmark of this season that when we cross into the opposition area, the ball is invariably headed back out and almost always falls to one of the opposition players for a counter attack. Our players are either in the wrong position to win the ball back or afraid to commit to a challenge in case they get rounded. This often means that we are highly vulnerable after free kicks and corners. We really need to sort that out as it doesn't happen for us when we are defending crosses and corners, so is clearly a formation or set-up issue.

• February 11, 2014 at 12:58

@glyngo: Glyngo reading your comments about the season so far, it would seem to me that you have identified either a problem with the tatics the team have been asked to play, or that the players are not actually carrying out these tatics, but either way Millwall are not progressing and are in potential danger of slipping out of this division, as was the case last year.
      Answers to News at den if anyone has any.

• February 11, 2014 at 12:49

Having looked at the burnley game,there were some positives. It was good to see woolford just outside the box for the goal, waiting for the ball that gets nodded out,and a good strike it was, ( thank f*** it wasn't Martin) same in the second half,Robbo had identical chance that their bloke had for their second goal,(Robbo was closer) but the shot was saved. Changing the subject, I notice Benic afobe who we had last year ,but looked good when we had him, has gone to Sheffield wed on loan,he looked awesome on sat,and scored, he's only 20, so why did we not go back for him, he is rapid

• February 11, 2014 at 13:02

@bordersarebest0170: on a brighter note a charlton fan has been nicked for abusing sordell..dont bother looking in a nat/paper or on sky u wont find naff all ...now thats wot i call a joke

• February 11, 2014 at 15:26

@<Jim28 what type of fish did he call him

• February 11, 2014 at 13:05

OUR SEASON STARTS NOW. I believe 9 points are coming from the next three games and give IH a chance. First it was the performance and fitness, you saw that after the Ipswich match. Then he has to find the players that want to be part of Millwall, he has started to move on those players who don't. Next he has to get them to play as a unit, that does not happen in one or two games. WE WON'T GO DOWN.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:16

Barn lion does moan a lot. Most on here are the same though.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:34

@benzo: Benzo, Just expressing my opinion which just happens to be similar to others who post on this Southwark News site. But I must tell you I dont feel too clever today I must have coming down something oh S*** moaning again sorry.

• February 11, 2014 at 18:33

@Barnlion: You miserable git Barnlion stop moaning,be like me alway,s happy never a moaning word leave,s my lip,s.
        Hold tight what,s the time oh sh** got to go to work,where is the cat so i can kick it.
        So barnlion get yourself a cat and when you get a moan coming on kick it,then you will be happy all the time just like me. LOL
        let,s hope thing,s go the right way tonight.
        be lucky barn

• February 11, 2014 at 19:23

@jim1222: Jim, I have been thinking about your advice but I dont have a Cat anymore, but I had a goldfish so I ate it but that has not made me feel happy, but I think I know what might, If I dont buy a season ticket for the Lions next year.
          But instead get one for another team who play in blue and white and also have a lion on there chest, do you think that would make me happy, it might cheer up Aldo though. Then I thought why the F*** should I, as I have been a long suffering Millwall fan longer than I care to remember so I may as well stay with them for the rest of my days.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:19

This is probably the most important game of the season bar none which will show us and Ollie who wants it most and who truly wants to stay here. A very difficult game in poor conditions if it goes ahead. If we get something from the game we move on and that will give all connected to MFC some confidence. If we get nothing we still cannot give up with so many points still to play for. Keep the faith and yes I think we have some very good players who will see it through to the end and keep us up. Not always ultra confident but always optimistic so COYLLLLLLLLLL

• February 11, 2014 at 13:26

We most certainly can build on from the burnley game as we got nil poir, so a point or more will be an improvement.
    I have nothing against holloway at all, i just feel sorry for him that he's inherited some bad pro's. It's bad enough to be in our league position let alone having pro's who couldn't give a t***.
    Good luck tonight boys.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:34

Want to make some easy money? Check the odds for:
    Yeovil 1 Millwall 2
    Millwall 1 Bolton 0
    Barnsley 0 Millwall 2
    Its going to happen!

• February 11, 2014 at 13:53

@AireLys: Wish I shared your confidence.

• February 11, 2014 at 15:37

@Longfield Lion:Longfield and all the other doubters, I'm going to have fun tomorrow when I'll write " I told you so!"

• February 11, 2014 at 15:23

@AireLys: I hope those predicted results become true.believe me I do!!! COYL!!!

• February 11, 2014 at 15:24

@AireLys: Get those three results and I'll do my best to never moan again.

• February 11, 2014 at 21:48

@AireLys: That's one wrong and the other two will be.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:45

Holloway has a lot riding on tonight's result. Lose and it is a disaster where none of the excuses of new players, injury list, lack of confidence, much superior opposition, etc, will hold water....not even in Somerset. They players have to demonstrate they believe in Holloway and give him the win we need. Even a draw won't be good enough.

• February 11, 2014 at 13:47

On my way to sunny somerset! COYL.

• February 11, 2014 at 15:06

@AireLys: I have been supporting the boys for 54 years now and one thing that has never changed over that time is the supporters humour. That's what makes us the best!

• February 11, 2014 at 13:57

We knew when the club employed Holloway that nutty soundbites were coming. He is a very likable character but does come out with some old tosh at times. Ollie is in it for the long haul (even League 1) and we need to support him. A few weeks ago he was the new messiah, lets not forget that.
    Fu** it, if we go down so be it, ain't the end of the world. I remember the old den on a tuesday night with only a 4,000 crowd roaring the boys on and loved it. Win, lose (lose again at the mo) or draw I'll always back the 'Wall. IOWT

• February 11, 2014 at 14:02

@WestKentLion: It will be a disaster if we go down with the expenditure we are committed to and the gates that we'll be seeing.

• February 11, 2014 at 14:04

@Adsy77777: Start again with kids, so what?

• February 11, 2014 at 14:41

@Adsy77777: Quite right.Would be a disaster.

• February 11, 2014 at 14:34

@WestKentLion: This will please Aldo, Westkent you know what happend to the Messiha a week after he arrivied, they crucified him, I know that he is likeable and I do like him but we need to get the team winning now, he has his own players in there now and he has had nearly as long as a pre-season with them, if you include Portugal.

So we want improvement in the game and in results after tonight there is only 16 games left 8 at home and 8 away with some really hard away fixtures, So Come On you Lions!!!!!!!! Millwall expects.

• February 11, 2014 at 14:59

OUR SEASON STARTS HERE, I KEEP READING BEFORE EVERY MATCH. OUR REAL SEASON STARTED IN AUGUST 2013, I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF MILLWALL MATCHES SINCE THEN, ANYWAY WE ARE ON THE WAY TO YEOVIL TOWN TO WIN........LOSE ......OR DRAW. ALWAYS ANOTHER GAME COMING UP SOON.( BOLTON - HOME ).

• February 11, 2014 at 15:09

@bermlion: We started the season with a loss against Yeovil and spiralled downwards from there. Now Mr Upson is on our side, what's stopping us going upwards from here on. Ed Upson to score the winner like he did in August!

• February 11, 2014 at 15:42

Gents
    Lets face facts, we have been a poor championship side for a good few years now. We struggled under KJ, under SL, and now lH has picked up the mantle. As far as l am concerned he said all the right things, about what was wrong with the club when he came in. Players attitude, fitness, etc. You cant get players MATCH fit overnight, although why they were that unfit at the start of the season beggars belief. SL brought in new signings that he thought would do the job, but there was more wrong with the club that he or we knew. So he failed but l still thought at times we played some good stuff under him, maybe if they were all fit it could have been different. Then the West Ham connection was always going to be his downfall. So now we have lH , same thing really, new players, new tactics, but he has said the right things regarding attitude. As countless others have said, you cannot change things overnight, this ship was pretty close to the rocks anyway. We have had quite a bit of bad luck with injuries, when he puts Lowery in, he gets his chance, and we looked a good back four again. Then he lets himself, and the club down with lack of discipline. Shittu gets injured, then Beavers, new guy in at center half, it aint been easy, have not the same back four for weeks. Forwards could not hit a cows a*** with a banjo at the moment. So lets all take a reality check , we was all pleased when he came, dont judge overnight ( Freedmans not set Bolton alight). We got what we got, so lets see where it takes us. Get behind the team, and dont s*** off, but encourage our players.

• February 11, 2014 at 15:56

@sups8892: Hopefully we will all stay behind the team and the manager but it doesn't mean that we're not a bit worried by the results we've been getting and that IH is not going to get a free ride. I don't think Freedman's a good example mate - they're still doing bad and the only reason he's still in a job is they can't afford to get rid of him.

• February 11, 2014 at 18:37

@sups8892: great post sup,s i agree100%.

• February 11, 2014 at 15:42

all Ollie has to do is remind the players what a toad Johnson is and we will smarsh the carrot crunchers 2.0 to the wall.MLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• February 11, 2014 at 15:53

@block 28: i agree better still put that b*stard's photo up in the changing room

• February 11, 2014 at 16:09

@Jim28: Even at life size it would only be about 2ft.

• February 11, 2014 at 16:54

Oi Aldo, don't you start on the Millwall fans ! YOU WANNA KNOW ?? .... You'll know in a minute ! ......................................( Only Kidding Mate ) keep the the good work up.

• February 11, 2014 at 17:07

I hope Simeon Jackson gets a start tonight, his the man to get us out of trouble MILLLLL

• February 11, 2014 at 18:41

Not sure why everyone expects us to win. Going to be a hard game. Gotta wake up n realise we're not that good. Gotta hope for a draw tonight! Let's be realistic!

• February 11, 2014 at 18:44

• February 11, 2014 at 18:44

1-1

• February 11, 2014 at 18:51

@ADSY77777 : it might only be 2 ft tall, but it would be 11 and half feet wide.

• February 12, 2014 at 09:33

WELL, ROLL - ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON, HOPEFULLY THE PLAYERS HAVE HAD LONG ENOUGH TO GET FIT NOW.......................SO VERY LITTLE EXCUSES LEFT TO USE !!!!
    AND HOW IS IT WE KEEP PICKING UP ALL THESE INJURIES ?????
    I'M SURE OTHER CLUBS DON'T SEEM TO HAVE THAT MANY.
    I CAN REMEMBER PLAYING MYSELF [ SOMETIMES TWO GAMES A DAY ].AND TILL
    WAS OKAY FOR THE DISCO'S SWING'S LATER ON !!!!
    STORMIN' NORMAN