Ollie confident Millwall can avoid drop despite Burnley loss

© Nicky Hayes
© Nicky Hayes

IAN Holloway is confident Millwall can avoid relegation from the Championship despite suffering their 15th defeat of the season at Burnley on Saturday.

With a crunch clash against Yeovil looming on Tuesday, the Lions manager has called on his players to build on the positives from their performance at Turf Moor.

Despite the 3-1 loss, Holloway said his side's display "was a step forward."

"We've got to be better than three other teams between now and the end of the season, and I believe if we can build on some of our play, we've got a chance of doing that," he said.

"But we need results right now. The next three games are six-pointers – they're important because the games are running out and they are against teams around us.

"There are big things to take from that performance, and are we brave enough to take them after a defeat? We have to put ego to one side and accept they were better than us.

"We were more organised and caused Burnley more problems than other teams would have here – albeit not enough. At crucial times, things went wrong for us – that's down to us.

"If we keep working hard, I think we can get out of the mire that we're in. Some people are waterlogged at the minute, but it's not going to drag me down.

"I'm just going to pump all of that out on the way home, no problem, and get our defences up ready for a game at Yeovil. We're Millwall, so we don't lie down."

Millwall took the lead at Turf Moor through Martyn Woolford's fine opener, but were 2-1 down by half-time.

Danny Ings equalised before missing a penalty – only for Dean Marney to score a second. Ings sealed the points with his 24th goal of the season after the restart.

"I am very disappointed for the lads," Holloway added. "Some important things need to start happening for us and I'm sure they will do against other teams given how we played.

"To get yourselves in front here is no easy feat, but we did that with a decent free-kick into the box, it dropped down and we put it in.

"What we're not doing at the moment is holding onto anything.

"We had a game plan to stop Ings and Sam Vokes, and for the first few minutes you could see that Burnley weren't quite at it. We started the better team.

"Given the season both teams are having, it was a big ask for us to carry on how we started for 90 minutes.

"When you get yourselves in front, when you're down the bottom, you don't seem to be able to hold on.

"From my point of view, we lost our game plan for the first goal. The ball went wide and their man was able to play it straight into Ings' feet in the box.

"I had two midfielders shielding the back four, and for the first time in the game they were not there. He's spun, smashed it and it's gone in.

"Five minutes before half time, all of a sudden we dropped deep, so deep that their midfielder was able to pick a pass from the edge of our box.

"I'd like to ask what on earth the penalty was for? Anybody got an idea? I didn't see any one of their players appeal for it – it was a ridiculous decision.

"When Bywater saved it, I thought our luck had changed – but it didn't last long, did it? That sums up the feeling in our dressing room, and we've got to take that off.

"A lot of our performance was not bad at all, against arguably the best Championship team I have seen this year.

"We've added some new players and we've got to get some breaks really quickly, because that dressing room is pretty low at the moment.

"We can learn from the structure of Burnley – they know where they're passing it, they don't take any risks and on top of that they've got great individuals.

"The third goal was the killer. We've given somebody too much time with the ball, one long ball over the defence and Ings gets onto it and scores.

"I'm enjoying working with this lot. I don't enjoy losing but I can hold my hands up to a better team, and today Burnley were better than us. In the end, it was too comfortable.

"That's as good a Burnley side I've ever seen. If there's anybody with a stronger chin than them, with a better group mentality, then I'd like to see them – hopefully not too soon."

102 thoughts on “Ollie confident Millwall can avoid drop despite Burnley loss

• February 8, 2014 at 18:43

Wasn't expecting anything from today. 6 points from the next 2 games will make things look better..... Crunch time boys, time to step up..... Everyone. Coyl.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:50

@les the lion: crunch time it is Les. Let's fill them seats cause there is no 12th man like a Millwall 12th man COYL

• February 9, 2014 at 09:38

@les the lion: Once again the Lions played okay for the starting half an hour. Not good after they scored.millwall boys good, even after the big fight in town.

• February 9, 2014 at 10:08

@BUSHWACKER14: once again, millwall fans quietly enjoying the day when disturbed by mindless louts n thugs???? Sounds like ya can't even enjoy a quiet beer in peace anymore!!!

• February 9, 2014 at 12:36

@BUSHWACKER14: what has mindless alledged Millwall fans got to do with us staying up....? Nothing. As ever, they will do more harm than good.... Can really see that going down we'll in the discussions to let us develop the land next the the den.... More reason to kick us out into the middle of know where..... That'll help....???

• February 9, 2014 at 12:54

@les the lion: Of what I saw of it and was also told by the Millwall fans involved, Burnley trouble makers threw out 7 Millwall fans from a pub in town, they met up with some other Millwall fans in another pub, when the trouble makers arrived there. You can imagine the REST.

• February 9, 2014 at 13:14

@les the lion: quick to blame millwall fans for the trouble. Who needs the FA

">grassgrower

• February 9, 2014 at 14:20

@block 28: only saying what I saw.

• February 9, 2014 at 15:01

@block 28: YEP, NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. I KNOW MANY TIMES WE WERE SET ON, JUST BECAUSE WE SUPPORTED MILLWALL FC. VERY EASY TO BLAME OUR FANS............I DONT BELIEVE THAT OLE RUBBISH! " WE' RE THE BEST BEHAVED SUPPORTER IN THE LAND"...............STORMIN' NORMAN SAYS LIONS FAN ARE INNOCENT.

• February 9, 2014 at 16:15

@les the lion: you should be ashamed of yourself slagging millwall supporters of ..these fans travel all round the country to watch millwall ..not to kick of..but they will defend themselfs...6r would you enjoy yourself if we all got a kicking

• February 9, 2014 at 16:54

@Jim28: well said Jim28, we are right with you all the way. Sad, when your own fellows go against Millwall fans.

• February 9, 2014 at 17:21

@Jim28: @Jim28: I travelled half the country too, and paid the same money as everyone one else and am entitled to give my opinion.... Nothing to be ashamed of. Not saying we can't defend ourselves but we don't do ourselves any favours. The real shame is we all get tarred with the same brush..... I posted about the need for the team to step up.. and some one posts about fighting...that had nothing to do with it... ?? Anyway, not here to argue, hear to support the lions, home, away...anywhere

• February 8, 2014 at 18:45

Oh well, onwards and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please get a settled side asap and I'm sure things will work out.
    We are the worst team I've seen this season and find it very hard to believe we're 4th bottom. Usually the team with the worst goal difference go down so I'm not holding my breath.
    good luck with the travel tonight and tuesday, hope you have enough time to sort the morale out in time for Yeovil.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:47

A point today would've been a major plus. Gotta grind a win out Tuesday and Saturday. This month will shape the rest of our season I reckon. Come on lads.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:49

well ollie u signed a two year deal , so next season you will be judged whatever div we are in , it will be your team , so good luck and i wont make any judgement till then , lomas didnt work out damage has been done , club left it to long

• February 8, 2014 at 18:56

I think Ollie need so get down to managing Millwall rather than be one of the 'Millwall boys'.
    We are going in the right direction. A month ago that would have been a 5-0 spanking. Get the first eleven sorted. At home, yes, put more attackers on the bench and away, more defenders. Dunne was the only defender on the bench today which indicates that Jack Smith has seen his last game. From the outset today, the midfield looked weak. With Bailey we have a holding midfielder who does organise things. If we can stop the training ground injuries, then currently we have a midfield of Upson, Williams, Bailey and Martin. Well, that would be my formation. Feeney can take a hike. Not up to this level and never has been and totally inadequate even on the subs bench. Jackson isn't 100% fit yet which is obviously why he didn't start. A forward line of theortetically, Easter, Morison, McDonald, Jackson and Campbell even allowing for the permuatations, should get us goals. If, and only if, the midfield can defend and supply. We're running out of games. Get the first eleven in place and stick with it. Charlton are worse than us. That won't last. Their manager will be gone by next week then we'll see a resurgence. We can't keep relying on the bottom three dropping points. We need to get 3 at Yeovil and then continue. I'm still confident we'll survive but it is up to us. Not the others.

• February 8, 2014 at 19:19

@NICKOLA: I am getting more and more pessimistic as each game passes - the midfield is a big worry- Upson and Williams have a lot to prove - simply if they don't come good we will go down ; the other midfield options, Bailey, abdou martin and woolford just don't give us enough control or goal scoring threat - perhaps chaplow can get his act together for the run in, but I have just quoted 7 players you can add feeney 8 and we don't know which 4 are likely to start any given week - good players pick themselves - same for the 5 forwards you mention, who should play? They are all much of muchness, until the time one or two start playing better and scoring regularly - ironically despite all the goals I think if we could get a settled lowry, shiitu or beevers with Malone and the Spurs kid the defence might be alright - you wouldn't believe at this sage of a season there could be so many permutations

• February 8, 2014 at 19:01

NEW BOYS DID NOT SEEM TO MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE. UPSON TAKEN OFF, WILLIAMS SEEMED SLOW AT THE BACK. ROBBO HAD A BETTER GAME THEN HIS LAST COUPLE PLAYED. BYWATER PRETTY GOOD, SAVED PENALTY WELL. MILLWALL'S BEST PLAYER, CAUGHT OR PUNCHED MOST CROSSES. NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. STORMIN' NORMAN .........VERY PLEASED AGAIN WITH FANS SUPPORT FOR THE LIONS. PROUD TO BE PART OF IT"

• February 8, 2014 at 19:28

@bermlion: berm hope you have as good a journey home as possible, done it a few yrs ago after a 3-2 defeat in league 1. Poxy journey.
      still believe fitness, confidence and unsettled starting 11 will cost us this season.
      I didnt expect anything today but a massive well done has to go to bywater but cant help thinking it is easier for him to perform well away from home as most who go away aren't in it to get on players backs.
      well done for your suport today.
      on the dartford issue, was there today and cant believe how much free and open spaces there are around there, absolutely screaming out for a 20/25 k seater stadium if it goes belly up against lewisham. The place could easily accommodate a championship club and the transport links are vast.
      You going tuesday ?

• February 8, 2014 at 19:06

Charlton and Barnsley both have a tough run in and i think Yeovil are doomed already, I think we will come good and get the points needed,

• February 9, 2014 at 11:31

@Eightieswall: I make you right Eighties, but what a sad state of affairs for a second season having to stay up by virtue of 3 other teams going down, I will take it but just shows that we have not progressed since KJ left at the end of last season.

• February 9, 2014 at 12:43

@Barnlion: Agree with you mate, Its been 2 steps forward and 3 steps back ! I will be happy when the season ends, Its been a long hard drag.

• February 10, 2014 at 09:01

@Eightieswall: If he dont do the business tomorrow night, then we are right in the sticky brown stuff well and truely, we have been proforming like this for 12 months now, with 4 different managers (maybe we can leave bomber out of it) but the common thread is the players and by that I mean quality or lack of.

• February 8, 2014 at 19:22

I always thought this was going to be a relegation season with a slight boost of confidence in my opinion via Holloway's appointment. We have been in free-fall 2 managers prior to Holloway so the last thing I want to read is negative criticism of Holloway who seems to have taken on a load of steaming overpaid faecal matter. He is the man we need next season in the 3rd tier (maybe 2nd tier but I doubt it).

• February 8, 2014 at 19:36

@SE14: He'll probably be a decent manager to get us up if we go down, but my concern has always been whether he's the man to keep us up. Despite the damage done under Lomas, it wasn't/isn't too late to turn things around - and the only objective this year is to avoid relegation. But my big worry is that Holloway seems to be like Lomas in just throwing lots more new players at the problem, with no evident improvement - either up front or in defence.

Maybe I'm being unfair as he's only had five games, but he's had the January window, five new players and a week away in Portugal and we still look just as bad as before.

• February 8, 2014 at 19:41

@SE14:

the spurs kid played, upson played, Williams played , DJ played, Jackson played , all IH recruits
      Holloway is not immune to criticism - one win in five, 3 for 8 against

• February 8, 2014 at 20:10

@timchimes: Well, allowing for the injuries to Shittu, Beevers, Bailey the starting line up would have been different. It's obvious that Jackson isn't 100% fit but I do see him and Campbell starting at Yeovil. Williams and Upson in midfield, assuming either Shittu or Beevers are fit. Frerdicks and Malone with them. Then a a midfield of Upson, Williams, Bailey and Martin. If we don't get at least a point with that team then we really are in the shiteb against a team that on paper, are worse than us. If it was me managing Millwall I'd be going for a point with a 442 formation. I really hope Ollie doesn't through caution to the wind with a 443 especially given our defensive record. It's easy being an on-line manager but the philosiphy away from home should be ' Don't lose'. Ultimately, a win at home and a draw away, ie: 2 points a game willl see us end up mid-table. 1.5 points a game see us in 17/18th position. Averaging one point a game will see us relegated.

• February 8, 2014 at 20:40

@NICKOLA: I think the 443 formation you mention may be our best chance, the extra man could come in handy. 😉

• February 10, 2014 at 08:24

@Sealion: 443? I know Bywater is a liability but you can't have 11 outfield players.

• February 10, 2014 at 09:15

Where is Old les and Harry Fabian when you need them to put things into perspective.

• February 8, 2014 at 19:55

I'm not!!

• February 8, 2014 at 20:15

It would've been nice to get a better result today- a draw would've been a good result. But with the list of players that were out today, I'm not devastated or surprised about the score. We are nowhere near the finished article and were playing a side that have been on form from the off and are unbeaten at home this season (19 games!). Similar situation to the reading game.
    But Yeovil, Barnsley and Bolton are MASSIVE games. Again not easy, coz they'll be fighting for their lives, but hopefully it will start to click.
    Well done to the lads who went up north- could hear you lot throughout, even when we were 3-1 down. That's the kind of backing the players need, so stay positive and roll on Tuesday! Getting myself ready for the not so long drive down to sunny somerset! COYL.

• February 8, 2014 at 20:47

Tim chimes you are laughable 5 games in and you expect holloway to beat burnley away, when you are up there you get the luck, if IHkesps us up I'll be happy with that, he has brought in his own players have you heard of giving them time to gel?? Simeone Jackson is no where near fit so he doesn't really count at the minute, come end of the season if we go down then look at criticising IH!!

• February 8, 2014 at 21:06

@millwall-1988:
      no - I can't accept that - there is no offence meant - I have not said at any point I expected us to win or even get a draw - look carefully and I said it is the manner of defeats that tell you about a team -ultimately the facts speak for themselves - Yoevil were winning today and lost , Barnsley were two up with 10 mins to go and couldn't win - that is the pattern for teams who fid themselves at the bottom - we led but couldn't hold on for 2 mins - it is not a coincidence - this is not what good teams do - ultimately after Ipswich we did not beat Sheff Wed, we lost 3-0 at home to Reading and lost 3-1 today and it could have been more - simply look at the facts - 5 games 3 goals for an attacking manager - I am not slagging IH off , merely demonstrating that an awful lot has to change if we are to survive and it is no good keep blaming Lomas

• February 9, 2014 at 10:05

@millwall-1988: mate really haven't the luxery of time to let em fully bedded..we need these players to perform..as for jackson dont count..if thats the case send him home

• February 9, 2014 at 11:07

@millwall-1988: If Jackson isn't fit what is he doing here, he is only signed to the end of the season so how many games are we going to get out of a fit Jackson I bet his money doesn't depend on how fit he is more the pity.
      One of the reasons we are in the s*** we are in is because we signed rusty unfit players at the start of the season.We do not have time for them to get fit they need to hit the ground running.
      Have a look round at the other teams that got players in during the window many of them are making an instant return, no gelling required there.

• February 9, 2014 at 12:00

@Sealion: you are right as usual Sealion - If we are bringing in people for a quick fix to keep us up then why bring in unfit players. Plus I am not sure we are seeing Ollie getting the best from players -DJ for example scores as sub on debut saves us the game, what more could he or we expect - then has he looked like scoring in the next two matches or has Morison? - it has got to happen now --- this latest defensive injury crisis again I find totally inexplicable - other teams don't go through this or if they do perhaps at one point in the season. Take WHU , they lost all their key defenders and got smashed for a couple of weeks, but now they are back and the goals have stopped going in. Do you see at Chelsea for instance, oh, Cahill , Terry and Luis are all unavailable at the same time, we will have to play with our 4 and 5th choice (not forgetting of course that if it did happen to them they would still have quality to come in) You have to manage your resources intelligently. But we can't. That's why I call it shambolic - We might stay up but through luck rather than judgement

• February 8, 2014 at 20:54

If we can take some points of the top clubs fine, but it all about the games that we have against the bottom sides, we must start winning these games starting with Yeovil on Tuesday. Looking forward to the standing terracing, we be just like the old days.

• February 8, 2014 at 21:25

We go a goal up, which this and the previous manager told us was so important,yet we couldn't defend it for 2 mins , then we couldn't hang in for a draw,very very poor. We are not good enough to get anything at Yeovil, we are almost certainly going down. What a useless group this is.

• February 8, 2014 at 22:20

The worry is that we've already lost the impetus of Holloway's arrival. We've got one win out of the new-manager syndrome. So it says the players who were here when he arrived weren't just unfit and demotivated: they weren't good enough. The new players Holloway has brought in, mostly guys who look a little over the hill to me or from clubs pleased to get rid of them, will take time to bed in. Time we haven't got.
    And all this talk about bouncing straight back after a relegation is a fiction. When did that ever happen for us? About 1964 is the last time I can remember from the old 4th division in the Sixties. The money you lose, the players who don't want to play in a lower division, and the fact that they are used to losing, make it impossible almost to bounce back unless you get a shedload of money.
    Holloway has to keep us in this division or his career and Millwall are going down the pan. My worry is that he deosn't know how to put a team together that is mean and onlovely in defence and can grind out 1-0 wins. And that is what will be needed now.

• February 8, 2014 at 23:18

@Eddie Grace: I agree totally - we are a soft touch still and just look at sheff utd and Bristol city if you think we will come straight back up

• February 8, 2014 at 23:37

Everyone is acting like we are relagated the wall wont go down easy

• February 9, 2014 at 10:55

@Jim28: Its been easy so far Jim, I try to be a realist and it just looks like business as usual. The initial lift Ollie gave to the team seems to have worn off according to him.
        There seems to be a certain inevitability about it all.
        I wish I was a bloody optimist but nearly 50 years of supporting Wall have ground it out of me.

• February 8, 2014 at 22:57

My worry is not with Olli its J B . . If we go down and what with all the regeneration business is he going to say to himself "f*** this, lomas was my fault I'm on a loser with the regeneration anyway . . B******* to this im off" . . At the end of the day he is a businessman and probably runs with the no sentiment in business ethic

• February 9, 2014 at 00:01

@Fingers: one thing the council has down by doing the deal with renewal is bring mfc back to the table ...lets face it mfc were dragging thier heels a bit..we wont be informed the fans never are...so JB& LCC will sort em relfs out & so will the team

• February 9, 2014 at 01:12

@Fingers: he,l stay if he,s got millwall in his heart fingers, he,s obviously a shrewd businessman with a great feel for the deal but mate, the real courage is the bloke who,s got an empty pocket but still turns up week after week when things are a pile of s***, I reckon Berylson is a man with a bit of both . And in the end if he,s not the the real people of the wall will stand side by side as they have for generations. Press on always.

• February 9, 2014 at 15:20

@grassgrower:

I hope your right, Id like to think JB is a man of substance.. its a funny ol game though..

• February 8, 2014 at 23:12

We'll be lucky if the Yeovil game is played. I live not far from there and everything is a quagmire around here, flooding, the main line shut due to a landslide just pass Yeovil station, and heavy rain forecast on Tuesday.
    Losing Trotter was a major blow and we do not have a midfield player capable as he was of creating chances and making telling passes. I really hope Holloway can turn the team around. But like this poxy weather when will the rot stop?

• February 9, 2014 at 00:31

Hope it 's not on, gives a bit more time for our injured players to repair

• February 9, 2014 at 09:19

@bordersarebest0170: who's idea was it to have a match in jan or feb..down that end of the country...no way you can play any kind of football...probably the reason they got 2 big meo up front..s

• February 9, 2014 at 03:38

My local team in adelaide , adelaide united had been shockingly inconsistent over the last few years and accused of being underachievers. They appointed a new coach Josep gombeau a few months back after again falling to the bottom of the table. After a few weeks in the job and sum very poor performances he fronted the media at an after match presser and it was on !!! He listened to the critics and then proceeded to question them on their achievements in life!! To cut a long story short, from the first day he said he had a vision but would take a bit to inact it and was shitcanned but sum weeks later adelaide united are now looking formidable and just beat allasandro del piero,s sydney united 3 . 0 there,s always hope !! Go wall !!

• February 9, 2014 at 09:52

Its going to take ollie time to sort out the mess we have here.He has come to try and make us play football and no more of the long ball rubbish like before.He just doesnt have the players for this style that he wants us to play.Any team who play against and use a quick passing game rip us to pieces.We sat an raved on how great shittu was against ipswich lets be honest ipswich played the long ball game which made him look great.Ollie needs to get players in with vision and flair, starting from the defence.Lets just survive the season and let ollie work his magic in the summer.

• February 9, 2014 at 10:14

THAT PORTUGAL TRIP WAS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. ITS CLEAR THAT THE TEAM BEING PLAYED DONT RUN AND CHASE SO ARE NO WHERE NEAR FIT ENOUGH! THAT MONEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN TO THE MILLWALL FANS WHO FOLLOW SOME OF THIS LAST 60MINS OF SO CALLED FOOTBALL RUBBISH THAT IS BEING PLAYED DURING THESE MATCHES. IF SHITT

• February 9, 2014 at 10:24

@bermlion: SHITTU AND BEEVERS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THR STARTING TEAM AT YEOVIL WE MIGHT AS WELL GIVE UP. MILLWALL FANS GIVE 100% SUPPORT TO THE TEAM BUT IT BECOMES EMBARRISING IN THE END. SO COME ON OLLIE AND MILLWALL TEAM START TO GIVE MORE TO THE SUPPORTER, NOW! NO ONE LIKES US , WE DONT CARE. STORMIN' NORMAN............WANTS MORE EFFORT. PS. SORRY FOR THE TOO LONG POST.

• February 9, 2014 at 10:20

my biggest worry is ollie dont do a palace on us , and go and give us that speech about not getting the team to play , he wont want another relegation on his cv , prem div november , div 1 may , dont look good , for his cv , i hope i am wrong but its a cut throat game football ,

• February 10, 2014 at 10:01

@munson68: Munson,
      That's his M O the same as Keegan and Coppell when it gets tough and before the team goes down, they leave becuase they cant take pressure, but if he goes who would want to come down the Den, that will be 4 managers in under a year.

• February 9, 2014 at 10:20

Keep the faith boys. 9 points now coming up. Yeovil 2-1, Bolton 1-0, Barnsley 2-0.

• February 9, 2014 at 10:47

@AireLys: thats wot i like to see an optimistic millwall not many of us left....coyw

• February 9, 2014 at 10:53

@Jim28: Jim28, I not optimistic, I'm realistic. Did we really expect anything from Burnley? It will now come, and believe that one day some team will be the whipping boys and think that's going to be Charlton 4 or 5 -0

• February 9, 2014 at 19:18

@grassgrower: @AireLys: been going to millwall for 45 years i get behlnd them every week..& yes i did think we had a outside chance of beating burnley mainley when comes to millwall like many we think we our heart..

• February 9, 2014 at 11:18

@Jim28: scream n shout at the games Jim, millwalls a madhouse and if the boys are struggling to score then you blokes have to roar the ball into the net, the den is a place I've only been to twice live and I still can't get the noise out of my head. We can't drop, no f***** way!

• February 9, 2014 at 10:36

I don't think many people realise how hard it is to score a goal. The goal from post to post is 8 yrds ( 7.32 mtrs ) and 8 ft high ( 2.438 mtrs ). To have a near miss is quite good,some say clever,but to get the ball on target is the aim and so to get that ball past a goalkeeper into the net is the ultimate. So,if you are payed thousands to do that,plus that is your job,imagine how difficult it is,plus,you only have 90 mins to do it. I have seen children over the park score goals,remember,everything is relative. But that is because the chidren are not professionals and are not payed thousands and it is not their job,but i have seen them score a goal.

• February 9, 2014 at 10:44

@shoot ffs: It's not very hard to score a goal against Millwall at moment-alas.

• February 9, 2014 at 11:05

@Peckhamlad: Wonder what the secret is.........

• February 9, 2014 at 11:20

Must admit,we have to remain positive but when a manager comes in or a couple of players as well you normally see a lift or more.Just wonder when that will be. Time to gel,time to get fit etc etc just need to see a glimer of light somewhere in that void...........plus hassle with the ground,it's a s*** time for us and we all need to see something coming from somewhere. Someone said that if Charlton get a new manager they expect to see them turn things around,thought that 's what we were hoping for.

• February 9, 2014 at 11:22

@SHOOT FFS : yeah mate,I think we all did realise that thanks, but as Peckham says teams we play against seem to be finding it quite easy to get the ball between our 7.32mtrs x 2.438 mtrs

• February 9, 2014 at 11:33

Come on boys we have always have s**t thrown at us but we are Millwall, we always come through it and we will again this season, that’s what makes us unique. Better to be that that some plastic team flag waving team like Chelsea.

• February 9, 2014 at 11:49

Problem IH's got is he doesn't yet know his best defence,midfield & forward line.
    Forwards are still isolated from the midfield without much service & the defence is back in dissaray .
    Then we got a goalie who saves a penalty against one of the best teams in the league at home who were always gonna create chances against us but gifts a goal at home against a side we need to take a point from.

• February 9, 2014 at 12:05

@Millwallsteve:
      yes 100% - we are still hearing these mutterings about we haven't got the players to play the way I want - well guess what you ain't gonna get them - find a system they can play - that is the skill of a manager -

• February 9, 2014 at 12:14

@timchimes: One bit of advice to IH. I bet the away teams dressing room is pretty smart and welcoming. Rough it up a bit, no hot water, only one loo working, cold. Have a couple of pictures up of Hurlock and Cripps. Let’s start when they arrive like the old Den. Word will soon get around and teams won’t like coming down to the Den.

• February 9, 2014 at 13:25

@AireLys: go as far as a toilet would you?

• February 9, 2014 at 13:27

@timchimes: unfortunately it's blocked though.

• February 9, 2014 at 12:31

Holloway should be sounding more confident seeing as we wern't in the bottom 3 when he arrived!! and the players absent are the same players that have been playing all season when we have conceeded the most goals in the Champ, I want Holloway to succeed and was over the moon with his appointment but so far he's excuses have been as poor as Lomas were, he doesen't know his strongest team and has been given the players he wanted by the board and like others have mentioned we seem to be the only club who always say we have unfit players, what is all that about, when olly was announced i thought there was no way we could down but now i am deeply concerned, his failure to address the defence with most goals conceeded in the champ is a worry and more than strange,and all these people saying well we shouldn't expect anything from places like Burnley why not??? we have signed proven players like Morison, campbell ,martin, bailey, jackson etc etc so why should be be losing to Burnley etc, the defeatist attitude is not Millwall and just seems like the easy excuse after every defeat, its getting boring now, these players are the highest paid squad we have ever had and will virtually bankrupt us if we go down, its time for these players and holloway to start putting there money where there mouths are and get us out of this situation, that Vermin s*** Lomas didn't leave us in bottom 3 so going down with Holloway and an expensive squad would be the biggest disgrace is our History, Sort it out Holloway you've had the backing of the board

• February 9, 2014 at 12:34

CRIPPS ? He is ex west ham, they won't like that on here.

• February 9, 2014 at 13:09

@bordersarebest0170: Cripps was a hero at the Den and repented his bad ways of playing for that on the other side of the water.

• February 10, 2014 at 10:46

@AireLys: Then also Charlton, but does it matter who someone has played for its how they play when they are employed by Millwall FC that surely counts not who the have had worked for.

• February 10, 2014 at 13:21

@Barnlion: What about Lomas then? He knew the feeling between north and south of the river but what did he do to try to try and win the fans?

• February 9, 2014 at 12:36

We will stay up %100

• February 9, 2014 at 13:08

Super Millwall need to play football again.Lets give it to them now! If any player does not want to be part of it - Speak Now ! Or forever hold your peace. And fans who Criticise other MILLWALL FANS ......... You know what you can do.( they and us know who they are just scroll back, they will write some more rubbish here, soon )

• February 9, 2014 at 13:10

@BUSHWACKER14: Well said Bushwaker14 and our season starts now.

• February 9, 2014 at 15:27

@>BUSHWACKER Nows the time to stand together like we used to. As for the players if u ain't got the minerals f*** off now. Come on u wall

• February 9, 2014 at 19:56

Heard a rumour that Leeds mite b lifting the ban can anybody confirm cheers.

• February 10, 2014 at 05:51

@block 28: leeds along with ourselves have been fighting the ol bil for the past couple yrs to get the ban lifted, heard a couple months ago they asked again but wether or not its genuine i don't know.
      All down to the ol bil mate, so I wouldnt count your chickens

• February 9, 2014 at 21:57

If anyone can rally the troops Ollie can! COYL!!!

• February 10, 2014 at 00:23

i just cant believe the injury list we keep getting,i am begining to think we might have some player,s copping out,its hard for me to accept we keep getting all these injuries.

• February 10, 2014 at 06:05

@jim1222: it does seem a bit weird in a week olly was praising bailey's fitness come friday he's dont his back in. This follows shittu in the out tray...then low & behold0 beevers gets the same injury...bet your life theo wij all be fit next saturday...then some will start moaning there not getting enough playing time

• February 10, 2014 at 08:52

we have had 3 managers and not one can get this team to play, something is very wrong down at the den

• February 10, 2014 at 09:46

@harrythelion: The problem is losing becomes a habit and any self belief goes, we had the same thing when we got relegated from the old Div1. We were doing OK then we were unlucky to lose a couple to superior opposition after out playing them, then we slumped the confidence went and the rest is history.

• February 10, 2014 at 09:04

Holloway needs a new formula. If he hasn't already done so he's gotta start thinking outside the box! If a virus still exists within the team it will gradually wear down the new players' ability to find a cure. Tougher job on his hands me thinks.

• February 10, 2014 at 09:08

Holloway needs a new formula. If he hasn't already done so he's gotta start thinking outside the box! If a virus still exists within the team it will gradually wear down the new players' ability to find a cure. Tough job for the new players coz their positive attitude will conflict with the negative attitude of some of the current ones. A real challenge for Holloway. Perhaps he might be better off employing a club psychologist!

• February 10, 2014 at 09:14

what a massive run of games in the next couple weeks. 9 points?? These games against Yeovil Bolton and Barnsley will let us know how we will end the season I think. Its not a case of can we tomorrow against Yeovil, its a case of we NEED to. Come on wall................miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• February 10, 2014 at 10:16

@leel331987: unlike some games when the others were fav t6 win. This is not the case with these & a couple of others..yeovil is a must win if only for a bit of confidence for the bolton game..2 back to back wins & we'll be buzzing..barnsley away ..leeds away doddle...charlton piece of p*ss..but the mental one not only have to out a team & stick to it..he has to sort himself out..we will do our part..c.o.y.w

• February 10, 2014 at 09:41

Trying to stay positive, but really fear that relegation is a dead on cert!
    I hope not, can't face going back to league 1, awful league with awful football.
    Come on Ollie, get the troops rallied and get 3 points tomorrow night.
    Miiiiillllllllll............

• February 10, 2014 at 09:47

Completely off topic, but this was also on the Charlton Website

'The club is aware that, on Saturday afternoon, racist abuse was allegedly aimed at a Charlton player by a home supporter.
    The suspect was identified, ejected from the stadium and passed on to local police. An investigation is now under way.
    The club takes these allegations extremely seriously and adopts a zero tolerance policy against racist behaviour.
    No further comment will be made at this time.
    Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140208-club-statement-1347923.aspx#QEwQmR8pEGdpsMLu.99

Funny how this hasn't been mentioned on the BBC or sky sports websites, or even in the papers.
    One rule for us, another rule for everyone else!

• February 10, 2014 at 09:48

" COME ON YOU LIONS "..................WE KNOW YOU CAN DO I !!!
    SO LETS START GETTING SOME 3 X POINTERS FROM NOW AT YEOVIL.
    FUNNY ENOUGH ! I DO LIKE GARY JOHNSON AS A MANAGER, BUT WHEN IT COMES
    TO WIING FOR MILLWALL.........THAT COMES FIRST.
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    THE STORM...................... IS READY FOR YEOVIL TOWN

• February 10, 2014 at 10:42

A major problem which neither SL or IH have addressed is that we needed better centre backs to shore up the defence. We expected a least one new centre back to be signed in the transfer window but that didn't happen. As a result with Shittu and Beevers injured and Lowry suspended we are now forced to play Robinson our 4th choice centre back together with Williams who was signed as an attacking midfielder although he has played in that position in League 1. Together with Forde being injured we playing a makeshift defence which is even weaker than the supposed strongest defence that was shifting goals galore. We will continue to lose matches unless we can get these players fit.

• February 10, 2014 at 13:24

when the going get tough our players get a sick note

• February 10, 2014 at 13:24

Have faith, 9 points now.

• February 10, 2014 at 14:03