Report: Burnley 3-1 Millwall

BURNLEY came from behind to record a comfortable victory over Millwall.

The Lions took a shock lead through Martyn Woolford but the winger's opening goal was cancelled out within two minutes by top scorer Danny Ings.

Ings' penalty was saved by Stephen Bywater before Dean Marney gave the Clarets the lead, and Ings made the points safe with his second goal after half time.

Ian Holloway made four changes to the side beaten 3-0 by Reading, with Paul Robinson, Ed Upson, Lee Martin and Jimmy Abdou coming in for Mark Beevers, Josh Wright, Danny Shittu and Liam Feeney.

Scott Malone's early cross was tipped behind by Tom Heaton before Ryan Fredericks shot wide from distance as the visitors made a bright start.

Martin exchanged passes with Steve Morison on the edge of the area before the winger drilled well over the bar in the fifth minute.

Burnley's first effort on goal came when Sam Vokes beat Robinson to Kieran Trippier's near-post cross and headed over.

But Millwall took the lead in the 27th minute when a free kick into the box was headed clear to Woolford, who chested the ball down and lashed into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

The Lions' lead did not last long, however, as Ings turned sharply and finished well beyond Bywater.

Ings could have scored a second goal in the first half when he was tripped by Abdou inside the area, but Bywater parried his spot-kick.

The Clarets, though, did take the lead before the interval. Scott Arfield touched the ball off to Marney, whose first-time shot flew into the net.

Ings added a third goal in the 62nd minute when he latched onto Kieran Trippier's taking pass and poked the ball beyond Bywater.

Ryan Fredericks' deflected cross came back off the bar before Robinson's half-volley forced Heaton to make a safe as Millwall searched for a way back into the game.

But Burnley finished the game on top and would have added to their tally had Bywater not made superb saves to deny Michael Kightly and Junior Stanislas.

37 thoughts on “Report: Burnley 3-1 Millwall

• February 8, 2014 at 17:33

Never mind, sounds like we at least had a go and the fact that we were applauded off says something. Defence is poor but against a team like Burnley, you're always going to concde goals (QPR conceded 3 last week). Wooly scoring again is a positive and Upson sounds like he had a good game. Charlton/Barnsley/Doncaster/Yeovil all dropped points so it's not too bad. Hopefully we can pick up 3 points at Yeovil and start getting away from this bottom 3. Coyl and all that.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:50

@Alan.F: ON COACH COMING BACK. POSITIVE - PLAYED WELL FOR OVER MINS. NOT SO POSITIVES - DEFENCE WAS STRETCHED TOO MANY TIMES AFTER THAT. SHITTU AND BEEVERS BADLY MISSED. ABOUT 1,000 MILLWALL FANS WERE HERE. FANS GAVE TREMENDOUS VOCAL SUPPORT. NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. STORMIN NORMAN.........WIPI
      NG OFF SUE'S TEARS.

• February 8, 2014 at 17:33

JUST ONE QUESTION , HAVE THE LOAN BOYS MADE ANY DIFFERENCE , MUST PLAN FOR NEXT SEASON , GOAL DIFF WILL KILL US

• February 8, 2014 at 17:36

Unfortunately i am preparing for life in league 1 i just think the writing is on the wall this year but wont stop me supporting them.. its a shame how we have just hit the wall from half way through last season dont think our squad is good enough simple as that, but a clear out is neeeded and rebuilding is better in a lower league. Hopefully we can win some of the must win games to give us a chance of staying up anyway

• February 8, 2014 at 17:38

I'm not sure who or what to blame anymore - s*** defence, Ambler, injuries, the weather, Lomas, Lewisham Council, Trotter, the board - the list is endless.

I knew Holloway wasn't the sort to work miracles with our defence, but I thought he might at least get us scoring a few up front. The best thing in our favour is having three such s*** teams still below us.

• February 8, 2014 at 17:38

The keeper wasn,t to blame..for the defeat & it pains me to say that..robbo & ryan were blinding..the thing is we got 4 defenders..woolford was hard working & scored..after our midfield couldn't hold em back..morro tried to find others up front..but was isolated.

• February 8, 2014 at 17:44

Next three games,7 points possible. Keep the faith Guys COYL!!!

• February 8, 2014 at 17:48

@333lions: who got turned for the goal then

• February 8, 2014 at 17:54

@333lions: I'd love to see us do it, but I'm not sure if this team has it in them. Three wins since September says it all. God knows how many players we've used this season, but we still look like relegation material.

• February 8, 2014 at 17:50

Pity we couldn't of held onto that lead for longer.
    Only 1 point for one of the 3 teams under us so no real damage done.
    Great fixtures coming up and it will see us getting some decent points I think.
    Absoultely no way we should be resigning ourselves to relagation at this stage.
    Onwards and upwards.

• February 8, 2014 at 17:51

Notice that IH plan for Ings went well !

• February 8, 2014 at 17:56

losing to Burnley ain't the issue - it is the manner of the loss - and the fact that there is a resignation about losing every match to a team in the top half - WHU weren't resigned to losing at Chelsea were they - once that fatalism takes hold you are in massive trouble - we were good for 20mins Ollie says - problem being the game lasts 90.

• February 8, 2014 at 17:59

Same old every week were f***** useless so are our players! Let's not kid ourselves! Is IH doing any better than SL?

• February 8, 2014 at 18:00

well I watched Yeovil v. Leeds on sky today and Yeovil look a very decent side, they got some decent players, I don't fancy us even there now. Still well done bywater to day, listened on player,sounds like he had a really good game, ( and it doesn't pain me one little bit) to say it unlike some.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:06

@bordersarebest0170: Probably our man of the match, hopefully he has turned the corner and the fans can get behind him.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:06

Seems to me Ollie needs to start getting his best team on the pitch the likes of bailey must be fit by now. Hope he sorts this quickly. We gave far to good a squad for league 1 but the table never liars

• February 8, 2014 at 18:08

@cram: Bailey now has a back injury, FFS.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:16

@Sealion: bailey's back injury (spasms) from over training most prob , perhaps like beevers

Ollie said during the week that Jackson could hardly walk after one training session and seemed quite pleased about it - it ain't preseason unfortunately , we need players fresh to play at their best - IH is walking a fine line - not sure how many more games he wants - the thing is we ain't asking for miracles - just a team that can stop half decent teams scoring three goals and to occasionally score 2 ourselves

• February 8, 2014 at 18:11

We are admirable, we continue to lose, anywhere and everywhere, but we are always ready to say ..."no problem lads, we'll win the next one!
    Positive is that we continue to have three below of us... hopefully it will be the same at the end of the season!
    COYL!!!

• February 8, 2014 at 18:16

I won't generally comment on a match unless Iwas at the game. I diddidn't expect to get anything from today but what is really starting to worry me is the goal difference. We are 3 points behind donny but ultimately it's 4 points. I'm hoping Holloway can turn it round but I still think the damage was done by lomas as he stayed too long. Bolton has taken on a bigger significance. We cannot afford to draw at home with the teams around us. COYL.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:55

@southlondon1885: It goes back before Lomas, the rot started not long after Wood and Hendo left and has been carrying on under the different personnel both managerial and players. We sign what look like better players but it does not help because they are usually rusty free agents or are injury prone.
      The problem is also that the more we lose the harder they get trained but they don't get any better because they then pick up training injuries. The players that seem to stay fit can't be relied on because they are the ones that get sent off (probably how they stay injury free). They need to take responsibility for their actions.
      So far this season of our new signings it is difficult to see any of them that have made any difference, the only difference they have made is to the wage bill:-
      Bailey has never been fit and has missed several games through injury. Not quite the mid field enforcer we thought we were getting.
      Chaplow, I like the bloke but it is easier to count the games he has figurered in than the ones he has been injured for.
      McD tries hard but is ineffective and gets pulled after 60 mins when he plays and rarely seems to be able to string more than 2 games together.
      Martin, starting to get a few games under his belt but missed quite a few with injuries, still doen't look like scoring even if he was the only player on the pitch.
      DJC, looks like what he is an expensive rusty journey man who may come good (bloody hope so)
      Jackson, bit unfair to judge but expensive and if he is hobbling after a couple of training sessions then it don't look good.
      PS we do not have any time left for gelling, or else we will gel our way into div1.
      Apologies for my ramblings.

• February 9, 2014 at 00:56

@Sealion: Very good post as usual.
        Too many average League 1 standard players. The common denominator? This is our third manager in 2 seasons and the results and performances are not improving. Says something!
        The sorry thing is if we get relegated there will not be the massive clearout that everybody demands. These players will AGAIN be given a stay of execution and and allowed to keep knicking a wage.

• February 9, 2014 at 07:44

@Sealion: I agree with when the rot started. Not signing Wood showed a complete lack of ambition on behalf of the board and the club. There's been a massive failure to get youngsters through the academy. They hardly seem to go on line and I can't think of the last time we had decent player through. Robbo is ok but is league 1. Since Cahill, Ifill, Read and co I'm really racking my brains.

It is definitely a worry but I still think Lomas stayed far too long. I originally was one who said give him 9 games but after 7 it was clear he was in way over his head and I was then calling for him to go before too much damage was done. I think it will be incredibly close this season and this week will be pivotal to our survival. COYL.

• February 9, 2014 at 07:44

• February 9, 2014 at 07:46

On loan. Not online just to clarify. Although sometimes I wonder if scouring ebay would bring about a decent player

• February 8, 2014 at 18:29

Didn't expect any result today but still disappointed that we conceded yet again 3 goals. Can we not just lose 1 nill for a change.
    We're 4th bottom with minus 28 it's beyond ridiculous and soooooooo f e c k I n g boring.
    don't know about you guys but I cant see us getting a result down Yeovil tuesday night. I just think the travel will disrupt everything. If we lose then without doubt we will go down and it must be said deservedly so. This is the worst team and season we've had for a very long time and I completely agree with munson68 what have the loans given us but there's enough games for them to give us something the one im frustrated with is morison although I like him he just aint doing it for us when we're really desperate for something from him. I guess when your luck runs out it really runs out.
    I feel almost exhausted by this season, we play s h I t we lose we play bad we lose we play ok we lose we play out of our nut and at best we draw.
    I cant wait when we play the same starting 11 in consecutive games, hopefully we will get that with lowry's shittu's and bailey's return.
    Whats the odds on the triplets starting on tuesday ? DJ, JACKSON and EASTER.
    Down but not quite out so here's to a hopefull result tuesday night.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:45

@lukesmithmfc: If we lose at Yeovil ( double over us ) we will go down.Our goal difference,goals conceded,away record is dire.I really thought that IH coming in things would change.It has not happened yet,will it change ?Who knows,but if we are not good enough to get anything at Yeovil.what chance for the rest of the season?

• February 8, 2014 at 19:01

@Longfield Lion: longfield I just think we are useless mate and dead certs for the drop although we're 4th bottom teams around us still have games in hand and theres a little gap starting to appear a couple places above us.
        lets not kid ourselves this is the laziest group of players we have ever had, and we're running out of time to get them all fit.
        Fortunately we will have a decent manager in holloway to get us out of league one with hopefully a brand new team who will be professional enough to keep themselves fit, cause fitness has ultimately cost us dear this season

• February 8, 2014 at 19:10

@lukesmithmfc: I fully agree about the USELESS and LAZY GROUP.Will we stay up,next 3 three games will give a very good indication about that.

• February 8, 2014 at 19:18

@Longfield Lion: I hope so longfield but it is only hope cause theonly games I felt we were by far the better team was against reading and brighton away, we dominated ppossession in both games but lack of fitness, intelegance, and discipline cost us the three points.
            tuesday will bring further disruption to the starting 11 with upson unavailable due to the pathetic clause written into the contract.
            on 4he plus side we still have games against the bottom 3 who are of league 1 quality so it should be a great test of things to come next season

• February 9, 2014 at 01:03

@Longfield Lion: Need a minimum 6/7 points from those next 3 games.

• February 8, 2014 at 18:31

Get the feeling Charlton at home, March 15th, could be a massive game! Not just for EVEN MORE bragging rights, but an absolute must win with them down around us! Good job i've already got my tickets booked! COYL

• February 9, 2014 at 08:11

We will lose at Yeovil unless Holloway prepares the squad well enough for a battle. Our front line haven't been scoring because the service from midfield is poor. The longer they don't score, the less confident they feel, and when an opportunity to score comes on a plate that is why they miss. In the final analysis however, it is difficult for fans like us to understand let alone accept that despite the undoubted quality our strikers possess we still cannot score enough goals. Goals win games & if you have decent strikers on the pitch they need to score & regularly if we're gonna avoid the drop. I know it would be a draconian measure but personally I would dock each player £1000 a game if their performance fell below the accepted level. I hate feeling this depressed about my beloved lions. I cannot remember in over 40 years supporting them it feeling as helpless as it does currently. Rant over!

• February 9, 2014 at 19:45

@NO1LIKESUS: I felt a lot less optimistic when we went down under Jimmy Nicholl. Playing resources were at an absolute minimum. This season we have four real quality strikers, that season we finished up at Ipswich playing Tony Witter (a central defender) up front. We won't go down this season.

• February 9, 2014 at 12:20

Holloway's track record in this division is excellent, but I'm a bit worried that we've hired an Ossie Ardiles style manager to fix the worst defence in the country.

• February 9, 2014 at 19:46

@jamie: That's why Des Bullen has been brought in. Not Holloway's fault our best defenders are injured or banned.