Millwall new boy Upson not fazed by Yeovil boss' claims

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

MILLWALL signing Ed Upson has hit back after Yeovil boss Gary Johnson claimed his performances this season have not been up to Championship standard.

Johnson sanctioned Upson's £100,000-move to The Den on transfer deadline day last week before stating that the 24-year-old had not been one of the Glovers' better players.

But the midfielder was Yeovil's leading scorer with five goals to his name, and has revealed that his relationship with Johnson had become "a bit hostile" prior to his January move.

"He [Johnson] can say what he wants – if he wants to say that about his top goalscorer, that's fine," Upson told the Southwark News.

"I have got no doubts at all that I have made the step up to the Championship. I've proven myself with my performances and by getting the goals I've got.

"You've got to take things with a pinch of salt and wonder why people say certain things. It's a game of opinions and sometimes you just have to let things go.

"The circumstances were slightly strange in the build up to me leaving. I picked up an ankle injury against Huddersfield at the end of December and I didn't start after that.

"I kept coming off the bench but I did not get back into the team. It got to the point where things became a bit hostile, but I don't want to go into it that too much."

Upson added: "This is the right move at the right time, with the right manager and the right team.

"I was a bit emotional leaving Yeovil because I'd been there for three years, had some good times there and made some good friends too. I made my home there.

"But to be honest I was ready to move clubs and start a new challenge and start afresh somewhere else.

"I feel like Millwall is the right place to do that. For me this was a happy decision."

28 thoughts on “Millwall new boy Upson not fazed by Yeovil boss' claims

• February 6, 2014 at 11:18

sour grapes mate! he started you in 28 games and won't let you play against them and made sure that was put into your contract? HAHAHA that tells you all you need to know ed! and now all of a sudden you're not good enough? the blokes an idiot!!! i have lost all respect i had for him. he should try f****** managing here he would know what losing ya best players is all about lol

• February 6, 2014 at 11:23

without his goals Yeovil would have 14 points right now.

• February 6, 2014 at 11:41

I think GJ is being he's usual poison dwarf self. To be honest i haven't followed Upson's career at all but i just looked on my fantasy league account and he's up there with he's points tally. That will do.

• February 6, 2014 at 11:44

Go get em ed, step up to the plate and smash that f***** for a home run! Everything's before you and it's time to show ya class.

• February 6, 2014 at 14:41

@grassgrower:

Absolutely what better opportunity and platform to prove him wrong than by an example of quality football and cool professionalism. Let em talk, Lions have the last laugh.

• February 6, 2014 at 11:49

If he wasn't up to championship standard why did GJ offer him a new deal AND insist he couldnt play against Yeovil! Sour grapes! mug!

• February 6, 2014 at 12:06

1OO% Sour grapes! Gonna prove to be a bargain for what we paid for him. Also appologys for my somewhat [ on reflection ] paranoid posts yesterday.THIS REGENERATION B******* WITH LEWISHAM IS DOING MY NUT IN! So sorry all again COYL!

• February 6, 2014 at 12:40

Well Ed my son, you said its the right Club, right Manager, Right everthing else, But the Main thing you've Missed - Out! The Right Supporters ( MILLWALL ) . You'd better play well Mate, now. Fancy forgetting the fans that are gong to support you each week ! Not great Upson.

• February 6, 2014 at 17:24

@BUSHWACKER14: upson not sucking up to the supporters is quite pleasing..all to often players come out saying how great the faos are..Do some really mean it(not on yer life)..we will soon know wot he thinks of us& vice versa.

• February 6, 2014 at 13:04

Don't let the numpty get down you down Ed. In fact Ed Up-son!

• February 6, 2014 at 13:23

Ed I think u will have the last laugh on Johnson,he's just jealous that u left a two bob club like Yeovil to come to the mighty wall! COYL!!!

• February 6, 2014 at 13:46

Ed has done very well in his time with us and we wish him all the best in the future. Thats what Gary Johnson should be saying. Unprofessional and no need for his comments.

• February 6, 2014 at 13:51

must thank Johnson hes just saved Holloway the job of motivating upson, wot a melon.

• February 6, 2014 at 17:11

@block 28: there mite be another reason behind humpty dumpty's little spat..he was fav before lomas..now that has to hurt the ego.. Get in there upson bring home the pts...

• February 6, 2014 at 19:18

What's going on!! I can't take much more of this! First the westSpam manager then yesterday a scumbag with a palarse shirt on news at den. Now having to relive that moment baily was on his a*** and us conceding that goal..

• February 6, 2014 at 22:35

That was when he was unfit he can stand now.

• February 7, 2014 at 02:38

His performances this season have not been up to Championship standard???
    Hahaha!Sounds like...when the fox does not reach the grapes,says that's immature!

• February 7, 2014 at 06:56

@Crazy4lions: even if upson is not up to championship standard ..and i'am only saying if..cos for one minute i dont think the mental 1 would go all the way to the end of the earth just to buy a mug..i have been to yeovil once that was enough..that was when they had a s*** sloping pitch..i have not felt the need to go back

• February 7, 2014 at 09:41

THIS TIME TOMORROW, WE WILL BE , WELL ON OUR WAY UP TO BURNLEY ............
    HOPE WE CAN GET A STRONG TEAM TOGETHER......................
    I STILL FANCY OUR CHANCES UP THERE.
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN..........................GETS READY, AGAIN

• February 7, 2014 at 13:48

@bermlion: The way you write your posts, I really hope to are about 12 years old

• February 7, 2014 at 13:48

@Steve: I really hope *you are about 12 years old

• February 7, 2014 at 15:45

@Steve: May I politely request you go and support One of your other teams ( West Ham, Crystal Palace and Leeds Utd ) You dont seem to be any good for Millwall FC and their Supporters. Cheerio Mate !

• February 8, 2014 at 07:49

@bermlion: good luck on the road berm, roar loud and get the points. Let emmmmmmmmmmmm aaalllllllllllllllllllllllll commmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeee downnnnnnnnnnnn toooooooooooooooo theeeeeeeeeeeeee dennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

• February 8, 2014 at 13:01

Johnson is a loud mouth well jell bell end! This is the idiot who turned down the chance to manage Wall before Jackett cos he wanted to go to a big club........ Bristol City! Nuff said