Forde waiting for Millwall to make improved contract offer

©
©

DAVID Forde says he is waiting for Millwall to make him an improved contract offer after talks broke down at the end of last year.

Forde, 34, is set to become a free agent in the summer and has been linked with moves to Celtic, Swansea and Crystal Palace in recent months.

The Republic of Ireland goalkeeper held discussions with the Lions before Christmas but has confirmed that he turned down their initial proposal.

New boss Ian Holloway is in the process of "de-cluttering" his squad and will make decisions about which players to re-sign in due course.

But the Millwall boss has stressed that he "holds all the cards."

When asked whether Holloway's appointment made him any more or less likely to put pen-to-paper, Forde said: "It depends on what the offer is going to be."

Forde, who is touch and go to face Burnley this weekend after a quad strain, is one of the club's longest-serving players.

He added: "I haven't spoken to anyone for a long time now so I don't really know what's going on. Nothing has come back to me for quite a while.

"The manager did say that he would like to get me signed up, but as far as actual terms go, it's been quiet. The club did make an offer before Christmas but it wasn't what I was looking for and I haven't heard anything since.

"I'm just waiting to hear from the club again. I'm still very open and if the terms are right, I can see myself signing. But if not, we'll have to wait and see.

"I've had a lot of agents talking to me, claiming to be acting on the behalf of other clubs, so I suppose it's a waiting game now to see what develops."

Nine players in the Lions squad are out-of-contract in June, and Holloway says each of them will have to prove to him that they are worthy of an extension.

"Any player who wants a new contract has to demonstrate that they are good enough to play in this division and keep us in it," Holloway said.

"I have had a chat with each of the players and I know the ones who definitely want to prove to me that they are worth a better contract.

"Liam Trotter didn't want to do that, he felt he should have already got a new deal, so we got him a move to Bolton instead.

"Liam Feeney, for instance, wants to stay and earn a new deal, and so does Fordey. But I hold all of the cards at the minute and that's exactly how it should be at any club.

"I have had a chat with the senior boys who have been here for a long time and they know exactly what I'm looking for.

"Things haven't been right this season and sometimes you need to de-clutter and get other people in. I'm in the middle of that right now."

One player who is set to be offered a new deal is Jermaine Easter, who Holloway managed at Crystal Palace.

Easter moved to The Den from Selhurst Park during Holloway's tenure, but the Lions boss claims it was not his decision to let the striker go.

"Jermaine lifts our group whether he comes off the bench or not," Holloway said.

"His training is something that is completely and utterly outstanding. I let Jermaine leave Palace because I couldn't guarantee him a new deal.

"I liked him but somebody else didn't. I am giving him a new contract because the whole atmosphere at Palace dipped after he left. I've already agreed to give him another year."

24 thoughts on “Forde waiting for Millwall to make improved contract offer

• February 6, 2014 at 09:07

That's a surprise about Easter getting that commitment so soon, he is a decent player but we are yet to see the best of him. If Ollie thinks he can do the job I will believe him and look for the imporved performances that he thinks are coming. If Fordey goes, we wil have a major issue. Gerrar doesn't seem ready to step up just yet and Bywater is clearly not good enough. We need a nother No.1 keeper to give Gerrar time to develop to his potential.

• February 6, 2014 at 09:09

Loving that. Easter deserves a new deal without a doubt and I think Feeney should be given a chance also

• February 6, 2014 at 09:13

Maybe I'm on my own on this one but it seems to me that Fordey isn't showing the passion to wear the shirt that IH is looking for. No doubt we need him but at any cost?

• February 6, 2014 at 09:26

@Profiler4: I think thats harsh mate, he is right to push for a deal at this stage of his career, the club should ensure that he gets what he needs to stay. He has never shown any lack of commitment in the past, its just that this is the time for his cntract to be renenewed so these conversations have to happen. Fordey is a true No.1 keeper and therefore is a real asset.

• February 6, 2014 at 14:51

@glyngo: can we afford a new keeper / are there any out thetr of good quality willing to commit to the club long term. Personally I think it would be a very sad day if Fordey goes.

• February 6, 2014 at 09:36

@Profiler4: tend to agrre with you Profiler on this one and I would say that all the talk of Celtic and a couple of Prem sides looking at him, is way over the top.He is not consitant enough to play at that level at the moment with his big boot down the middle, and spilling balls out of his hands.

But he is okay at this level when he is fit and I would not want to lose him unless we had someone a lot better.

• February 6, 2014 at 10:07

@Barnlion: it seems to me that the mental one wants players to grovel to him about resigning...it takes 2 willing parties to come to an agreement...why should some one forde go running round like a schoolboy...sit down like grown men & iron it out...as for feeney useless sh*te that boy

• February 6, 2014 at 10:36

@Jim28: Jim you wont get any argument from me on that one mate, I would have left the E off any say it like it is.

• February 6, 2014 at 09:57

18 months ago I would of said give him away, but Forde has been brilliant since then, sign him up ASAP before the vultures come sniffing and we are left with Bywater in goal!!!!

• February 6, 2014 at 10:28

I think talks between players and the club over their terms of contract ought to be private and not for the manager to blurt out in public. IH has a tendency to act like a prima donna, and that everything revolves around him. The proof will come if and when he starts to get results.

• February 6, 2014 at 10:35

I agree we should do our best to sign him up asap, at Championship level he is one of the best. However, I think he maybe thinks he is better than he is, to play in the top flight in this country, you have to be the complete package, and we all know that Fordey's decision making and distribution is sometimes not what it should be. So, if he wants to move up a league he should be prepared to do quite a bit of bench warming at best. So,stay where you are Fordey, you know it makes sense. COYL

• February 6, 2014 at 10:37

Forde is a must to get tied down - people should not underestimate how important he is to the club on and off the pitch. Good to hear that about Easter. I wonder if those who were slagging Ambler off for signing him in the summer before a manager was appointed are still so critical.

• February 6, 2014 at 12:43

@Steve: Must admit I was critical of Easter being signed and still am. He's probably a decent League One player, but at this level he's no more than a squad player. Any team with him as their main striker is going to struggle at this level. Holloway obviously sees something in him, but he also sees something in Marquis too, which worries me quite a lot.

• February 6, 2014 at 10:55

Look fordey, if ya keep a cleen sheet for the next 3 weeks then u,l be able to stay at the greatest football club on the planet. It's not asking a lot mate!!!

• February 6, 2014 at 11:02

Fordey I'm not your biggest fan however, this season you have played well behind a leaky defence and without you we would have let in a lot more goals. Please sign we need you and kick Bywater far far away from us, maybe save Shittu for that as he tends to whack the ball whenever he get is !!

• February 6, 2014 at 12:27

We will see, still think he can only play the Last 20mins , comes on as SUB.

• February 6, 2014 at 13:26

@BUSHWACKER14: easter comes on when the other players are either jaded or out on their feet...he scores & everyone thinks he's great...proved how great he was at southend ....MUG

• February 6, 2014 at 14:51

Gotta respect Ollie's view on another deal for Easter. To be fair to Easter , he's hardly had a run in the side has he ? His attitude has been 100% and bear in mind we've struggled to create chance after chance so it's no surprise we have no one in double figures when it comes to goals.
    As for Fordey , I can fully understand him at his age wanting a "retirement" contract. If he's our No1 , pay him so in my opinion.
    But Ollie's the boss and that can never be challenged or undermined or he'll lose respect from the other pros.

• February 6, 2014 at 15:49

I understand Fordey's point of view but he needs to be realistic... Agents acting on behalf of these clubs??? That means nothing? Does he seriously think he will replace Fraser Foster who has been in superb form of late, even at Swansea and Palace he will be a number 2. He must want a massive pay rise because we would of signed him up already...

Sticky situation but if we can get someone in to replace I would replace. He's not committed to Millwall at all he turned down contract because he though someone would buy him in January.... Nobody showed up so now he wants to talk about renewing his deal....

We have had it with loads of muppets turning down new deals, what happened to them? They end up at Welling United or best case Brentford at Southend... Remember Dave Martin went to Derby??? He's playing non league now the muppet.

I want Forde to stay but let's have it right he's not too good for us... Sign Forde or finish your days on the bench or non league... Fact!!!

• February 6, 2014 at 17:28

Think a Forde is a top professional, he has been a consistent performer for us and was controversially trusted to play at international level by a highly experienced top level coach in trappatoni. From the games I saw he held his own for his national team and has grown in confidence. Therefore I can understand why he feels he deserves a good deal and truly believe his character, big game experience (cup runs, playoffs, internationals) and organisational skill will be very hard to replace so on that basis we should sign him up!! Plus fact he is an established international will attract other promising players who want to catch the eye, I think this was a big factor in why Williams chose us over Brighton???

• February 6, 2014 at 18:49

Forde should have signed a new deal. We owe him nothing really. Don't forget we have stuck by him when he went through a period where he couldn't stop making mistakes and although yes he has been an excellent keeper for us and probably my favourite keeper since I've been watching us, but I think he's getting above himself abit if he thinks he could hold down a first team spot at a club better than ours. Forde cost us 13 points last season through his mistakes, it was discussed on one of the forums at the time. Hardly premiership material.

• February 6, 2014 at 19:00

Forde was very good for a few seasons - then had a really bad period ...and has now come back to his somewhere near his best. (Yes I know he lumps upfield - but Olly will sort that)

Unfortunately this season, he has stood behind a defence (and mid field) that have not given him the support and protection that he needs.

Olly is on his way to addressing that - although Lowry needs some 'anger management' help (or 'why it's stupid to lose your rag' as we call it).

Olly has had help in this way - Lowry, for whatever reason, needs the same.

My view is - retain Forde and have a settled defence based on Shittu and Lowry (when you can join us Shane 😉 .

They were excellent vs Ipswich - so they CAN do it.

• February 7, 2014 at 00:10

@kitch: he can see good players in germany..blackburn..yeovil..blechly.(mk) & north london...but the players already here he has to assesr them..he's been ere over a month..wot players did he bring to portugal

• February 7, 2014 at 02:48

Millwall should offer him a contract & if he don't sign everybody would no where they stand. Then we can move on.