Ollie pleased with Bailey's response to fitness demands

©
©

MILLWALL boss Ian Holloway says he has received a "fantastic response" from Nicky Bailey after asking the midfielder to improve his fitness.

Bailey was absent from the Lions squad for Saturday's 3-0 defeat to Reading and Holloway confirmed after the game that the 29-year-old had been given a rest.

Holloway explained: "It is a fitness thing. I honestly believe he could have got injured if I had played him again because of all the hard work he's done.

"I trained him on Saturday morning instead, I have asked him what he is eating and we are looking at it. I'm getting a fantastic response from him.

"Scott McDonald came in as well and was terrific.

"After all the hard work we did in Portugal, I didn't feel I could pick Nicky – and we missed him a little bit with his organisation, to say the least.

"The other evening against Sheffield Wednesday one or two were like 'oh, get off the floor Bailey,' but he's given me everything he's got."

Holloway also discussed his dealings on the final day of the January transfer window, which saw Liam Trotter and Andy Keogh depart with Ed Upson and Simeon Jackson coming in.

"Trotter was a simple thing," he said. "Does he want to stay? Can we give him a contract? If not, get some money for him. We've done it.

"Bolton haven't got any money at the minute so they've taken him on loan and will pay us in the summer. I've reinvested that on Ed Upson and I think that's decent business.

"That left us a little bit short on Saturday and I had to play Shaun Williams with Josh Wright, who has been doing really well in training.

"Maybe I chose the wrong one and should have played Jimmy Abdou, who knows. I tried to do what I felt was right and for a while it looked like it might work.

"Some of our football on Saturday was lovely and I want that to come in the long term, but we've still got to play off of our front boys.

"I've got some extra ones now so hopefully they'll bring a fresh impetus and score when we need them to. We'll need them to gel pretty quickly."

37 thoughts on “Ollie pleased with Bailey's response to fitness demands

• February 3, 2014 at 13:15

fair - comments - back to full strength soon

• February 3, 2014 at 13:22

well done bailey! hopefully mcdonalds attitude has changed as well then? let's crack on now we have 5 blinding signings , once they all bed in i think we're gonna smash someone and that will be the starting point to our season! lomas really done a number on us ain't he!!!

• February 3, 2014 at 13:40

For a player of 29 years old who is unfit in January and told what he needs to eat is a bit ridiculous.

• February 3, 2014 at 13:56

@Longfield Lion: He's a footballer, not a dietician or personal trainer!

• February 3, 2014 at 13:58

@Bradders: True but he does not have to eat all the pies !!!

• February 4, 2014 at 00:11

@Bradders: the money he earns he can afford both...i know if i'am putting a few poundr on or h need to get fit...i dont have to he does

• February 3, 2014 at 14:58

@Longfield Lion: Controlling your diet is a minimum requirement of any professinal sportsman. Good that he is bringing in changes but really this should have been in place already. Shows a lack of professionalism in my opinion.

• February 3, 2014 at 13:46

Bailey told Holloway it would be a lot quicker just telling him what he doesn't eat.

• February 3, 2014 at 13:49

Get a fit Bailey in the side and make him captain. No disrespect to Danny but i think Bailey is better suited and will spur him on.

• February 3, 2014 at 13:59

I actually think this is a good post. The first few games Bailey played for us, I thought he played well, covered a lot of ground got some good tackles in and passed the ball well. He also had a lot of infuence on those around him. This is something we did not have on Saturday, the new players need a pro like Bailey around them to organise them. Now Trotter has gone I think Williams and Upson will do well, with someone like Bailey around them. As far as McDonald is concerned, he is one of the few players we have that actually thrives on playing on the ground football. He can hold play up until the forwards get in place, I think again this is something we lacked on Saturday, the forwards had little service from Feeney etc. The likes of Campbell, Morrison etc need players like Mcdonald around them. Saturday was a disaster, even though i thought until the first goal we stopped them playing, then the rest is history. But I think he is getting the balance right and it will come and we will stay up. COYL.

• February 4, 2014 at 09:07

@rikkiatwall: some posts really get on my nerve?s ...after saturday fans said morro was hopelesr..cack etc..didn't mention the other striker DJ who had apart from the 1st ten mins was poor..strikers are0 only good if they get service from midfield..though we took the game to em that final pasr was'nt there

• February 3, 2014 at 14:03

It's now February, and we are talking about diet, fitness, attitude, it's no wonder we are where we are. And it's not the youngsters, it's the senior pro's, the ones that should be setting good examples, what a mess Ollie has inherited.

• February 3, 2014 at 14:06

Fit or not Baileys movement on and off the ball is to slow needs to liven up his whole game there's no time to dwell on the ball it's 110% all of the time if he can't manage that mentally and physically he's of no use to wall shape up or ship out

• February 3, 2014 at 14:12

A vote of no confidence for Wright there then, good. I don't think he's cut out for the Championship. I'm sure everyone would agree that whilst Jimmy is limited as a player, he'd have done a much better job on Saturday, and IH virtually said that himself in the article. I think losing Trotter forced his hand a bit, and with injuries to Chaplow, Bailey not being deemed fit enough, Wright got his chance - Hopefully the last. With Upson, a fit bailey / Chaplow and Williams, we should have the makings of a decent midfield. With a bit of luck IH will also bin off Feeney. He frustrates the hell out of me and I don't think he deserves a place in the squad, let alone the first 11. Hopefully IH will get a settled starting 11 and stick with it - Consistency is the key. Really hope we get our s*** together.

• February 3, 2014 at 14:15

WELL, WELL, JUST GLAD OLLIE IS KEEPING TABS ON THE PLAYERS THAT ARE NOT QUITE FIT , YET.
    JUST NEED SOMEBODY TO CHECK ON SOME OF THE SUPPORTERS FITNESS..................
    SOME MAY NEED A PACKET OF SOOTHERS, TO IMPROVE THEIR SINGING VOICE !!!!
    [ ESPECIALLY THAT BLOCK 8............HA HA HA ]
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN

• February 3, 2014 at 14:26

• February 3, 2014 at 15:03

@WestKentLion: Isn't it nice and refreshing to have an honest manager? Better than Lomas coming out with excuses every 10minutes saying why this happened and that happened!!

• February 4, 2014 at 09:33

@Bradders: so we had one manager who blamed the players..now we got one who blames himself..still the same outcome..WE LOST..nothing refreshing about that

• February 4, 2014 at 14:30

@Jim28: thing is jim lomas was right to blame the player,s,70% of goals against us during lomas management were down to school boy errors or rank bad defending just look at the video,s and you will see what i mean.
          we had a schoolboy error by bywater on sat ,we can,t blame IH for that so why blame lomas for mistakes made by player,s when he was in charge,but IH did take the blame for team selction and substitutions because he made those decisions,and fair play to him he took it on the chin.
          If those player,s had not made those error,s we would be top half of the league,so let,s judge thing,s as they are and not how we want them to be.
          To many player,s on our book,s are not up to it some are lomas,s fault,but jacket has to take some of the blame imo,but to many on here jacket is a legend and wont have a word said against him.
          this post is not a dig at you so dont take it personally

• February 4, 2014 at 15:12

@jim1222: i was at the matches you mentioned ..one thing i dont want to do is watch em again..i'am not backing either of em up...but the defending under lomas was woeful...but hollaway had the misfortune of having a clown in goal that apart you have to admit the defence been sorted alot..hollaway against reading...u said it all

• February 3, 2014 at 14:41

I think The manager will get the best out of bailey in the long run as he was actually a similar player himself.

• February 3, 2014 at 15:11

Trust in Ollie , he will get us there and then back home again !

• February 3, 2014 at 15:30

Bailey was amazing for charlton a couple seasons ago, lets hope he finds his form

• February 3, 2014 at 19:54

@sadlier89: when and if he gets fit he should play a more advanced role, played there for charlton and had a very decent goal record.

• February 3, 2014 at 16:19

i think ollie is seeing what is what , we all make mistakes , and he now knows josh wright should not be in front off bailey or abdou , i hope he makes up with macdonald cos he is quality and he is ours , must try and build around him , i think we missed him in 2 games he aint played , he is a handfull , drop him if his not doing it but he played well against tractor boys , please someone bang there heads together and stop this , we the fans need to have the best 11 out there and i for one think macdonald should start , he is on a 2 year deal not a loan player who will leave at the end , we need to gel the team together for now and next year what ever div we are in , cant do that with loan players

• February 3, 2014 at 16:42

I don't think letting Trotter go was that simple, there is more behind it than meets the eye. We certainly missed him on Saturday, the forwards were not exactly getting fed with decent passes as when Trotter was in midfield and we ended up with our forwards having to search for the ball. What about Morrison? I looked at ratings in newspapers and Danny got the best (he was the best imo ) Morison was very average, if we are to move up we need a proven goal scorer, maybe Jackson will fit the bill.
    Still in IH we must trust and may see everything differently.

• February 3, 2014 at 17:22

Pretty much what most of us have been saying. Sensible post from Ollie.

• February 3, 2014 at 19:07

@Adsy77777: unfortunately, I am a little cynical.

Could it be that holloway with his fitness stance has unsettled bailey and macdonald and tried to prove his point by not playing them.

I'm hindsight, that went t I t s up, and maybe he now realises that he needs both of them on the park rather than training away from the first team squad?

Only a thought.

Also to all of those other millwall supporters, not aimed at anyone specifically, who enjoy condemning actions of other supporters - I will admit to being one of those that voted with my feet by leaving as soon as the third goal went in.

That is my entitlement, just like it is some in this site to voice an opinion without attending games.

I didn't see anyway of getting back into the game and quite frankly, I had better things to do.

On another point, I personally didn't cheer or boo bywater. Personally I couldn't give one about his previous connections. I do know that he isn't good enough though, and yes he is still better than I will ever be!

• February 3, 2014 at 19:31

@bonnie1272: Possibly Bonnie, but to be fair Bailey hasn't looked the fittest last few games.
        I was referring more to the realisation that he would probably been better off playing Jimmy.
        As for me personally, I'd far rather frustrated fans leave early rather than throw bottles.
        One of the things I don't agree with on this site are the people who like to judge what constitutes a Millwall supporter - by virtue of being on this site I would have thought it was pretty much all of us on here. I am fortunate enough that my circumstances allow me to attend every home game and a selected few away games. I know that that is not the case for everyone who posts on here. I don't believe that that does not entitle them to have their opinions on the club dearest to their heart.
        What I do like on here is that the vast majority give their opinion and on the whole that is the basis of an exchange of opinions rather than personal abuse. This is not the case with all our forums unfortunately.
        I also didn't boo Byewater and like you, don't give a monkeys who he played for before - it's probably not a good idea to undermine your goalkeeper who's already nervous and by general consensus, probably not good enough in the first place. If Ollie ever thought he was good enough it doesn't take a football genius to work out he's a liabilty.

• February 3, 2014 at 21:02

@Adsy77777: agree with you completely ads.

Hasn't bailey just come back from Portugal where I believe the intention was to get everyone fit?

Clearly that worked eh?

• February 3, 2014 at 18:50

Trouble is our midfield have hardly had time to gel.
    Williams has just come into the championship & Wright hasn't started for weeks.
    It was too big an ask to expect them to dominate the midfield.

Thing is they were doing ok till Bywater dropped his catch.

• February 3, 2014 at 19:31

@Millwallsteve: All the more reason to have played Jimmy on Saturday IMO.

• February 4, 2014 at 09:52

@Millwallsteve: williams last week was supposed to be the dogs..& better than trotter...so like we looked to trotts i was looking to SW to do his job..halfway through the half i had to ask my mate to point him out...didn't didn't impress(hope that he will come good)

• February 3, 2014 at 20:32

IH says it how it is- it's nice when the manager is seeing what we are all seeing! COYL!
    On an unrelated subject- liking Baileys picture- reminds of Ricky Gervais in extras- "IS HE HAVING A LAUGH!"

• February 4, 2014 at 09:27

WELL, IT LOOKS A NICE DAY OUT THERE TODAY [ TUE ]............
    SUN IS OUT, SO MAY DO A LIITLE FITNESS - TRAINING AS PROMISED !
    GET THE SHORTS AND SUN GLASSES READY, ESPECIALLY AS SUE HAS BOOKED UP
    A WEEK IN THE SUN IN SPAIN EARLY IN MARCH.
    [ SO , SADLY WILL MISS A COUPLE OF AWAY - GAMES..........DERBY & BLACKPOOL ]
    SOMETIMES THEY SHOW THE MATCHES ON THE TELL OVER THERE...........
    NEVER MIND !
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN...............................IS READY FOR THE SUMMER !!!

• February 4, 2014 at 15:33

@bermlion: i'am sure you will get some insight in those games on newsatden. You find find its a poor 2nd choice...happy trails

• February 5, 2014 at 09:30

@Jim28:
        YEP, KEEP THE SHIP AFLOAT AND THE MILLWALL FLAG FLYING
        WHILE WE ARE AWAY FOR A WEEK...................
        " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
        THE STORM..........