Jackson in talks as Millwall plot last-minute transfer deal

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL ARE hoping to sign Simeon Jackson before Friday's transfer deadline.

Jackson, who is also on the radar of south London rivals Charlton, has held talks with boss Ian Holloway about a move to The Den.

The 26-year-old was a summer target for the Lions but moved to German outfit Eintracht Braunschweig instead.

But Jackson has struggled in the Bundesliga, failing to score in nine appearances so far this season, and now he wants out.

The former Norwich frontman has asked to cancel his contract and his agents are currently negotiating a pay-off.

Holloway is also in the market for a right-sided centre back, but he may wait until the loan window reopens in a week's time to strengthen his defence.

If Jackson is to return to English football, with London his preferred destination, he must reach an agreement with Braunschweig by 11pm tomorrow night.

Provided the striker is a free agent by then, Millwall – or any other club – will be able to sign him outside of the transfer window.

But Jackson's exit from Germany will depend on him having a deal lined up elsewhere, so the likelihood is that he will be on the move in the next 48 hours.

A source confirmed: "It is likely that Jackson will come back to the UK and his club are doing a deal with him.

"But as every club would do, they are waiting to see who wants to take him before they finalise a pay-off with him.

"He needs to be paid up by Friday, but after that he is a free agent and would be available to sign any time.

"Millwall are very interested but a lot of things have got to happen very quickly for the deal to go through."

One player who could be leaving SE16 this week is Scott McDonald.

McDonald was left out of the Lions squad for the 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday and it is understood he has held amicable discussions will Holloway about a move elsewhere.

The Australian's agents are said to be exploring possible destinations for the 30-year-old – be that on loan or a permanent basis – ahead of Friday's deadline.

Meanwhile, Holloway has fired a warning to the out-of-contract players in his squad, telling them that they must decide quickly whether or not to sign new deals.

Contract talks were held with Liam Trotter and David Forde before Christmas, whilst several other players have been promised fresh terms.

"I made some decisions [for the Wednesday game] and I believe they were the right ones given the response I got out of the group," Holloway said.

"Now what is going to happen is this: if you don't sign your contract, I might have to get rid of you because I talk about commitment.

"I want to be here and I want people to want to be with me, and if they don't I have got to be a businessman and sort it out.

"We've got two days left of the window, but there is also the loan window after that and it makes life a lot easier. I'll be making some decisions.

"I am not a miracle worker but I develop groups of people who want to work hard for each other and trust each other. Normally they out-play their wages by a zillion miles, so that's what I've got to do here.

"It's not about how much you might want next year, or what you might get from somebody else, I don't deal that way. 'Do you want to play for me son?'

"They've seen me now, so they should turn around and say 'yes please' or 'not really, I'm going.' If that's what they want, we will move them on and see where we are."

Meanwhile, young Millwall striker Aiden O'Brien has joined League Two side Torquay United on an initial one-month loan.

50 thoughts on “Jackson in talks as Millwall plot last-minute transfer deal

• January 30, 2014 at 08:17

Good player. If Holloway can work his magic, he will be a fantastic player for us. Seal the deal JB!

• January 30, 2014 at 09:12

@NO1LIKESUS:
      We already have 3 very similar (supposedly good strikers) to support Morrison - Easter / Cambell & McDonald - and now we are after another one with a very similar style and build who doesnt seem to be doing much where he is now - and hasnt done a great deal anywhere else.
      How IH (our new messiah??) left Mcdonald out completely and had Marquis on the bench against SW is just beyond me. Also picking Keogh ahead of Mcdonald?? - IH & SMcD have obviously fallen out
      McDonald is the best of the three we currentl have as he can link play as well - yet he is being maouevoured out. We dont need support strikers - we need to put some real pressure on Morrison as although a better performance on Tuesday - he is not doing enough and does not show any real ex premier league quality. Similarly Trotter - just going through the motions. It will be a sad loss to let Mcdonald go

• January 30, 2014 at 09:59

@crow191049: My initial reaction was similar to yours but McD has had a good while with us and has not set the world alight. Simon Church of Charlton has scored more goals for them than McD has done for us. If IH believes he doesn't need him, that's good enough for me. As for as Morrison goes he seems to be happy living in the past.

• January 30, 2014 at 11:38

@Profiler4: Agree with you regards to McD, But Morison was mine and most peoples man or the match on Tuesday night. He is getting better & better IMO

• January 30, 2014 at 12:49

@Windy: I wasn't there so I bow to your opinion. An in-form Morrison can only be good for us. Hopefully IH sees it that way especially at the end of the season when McDermott wants him back.

• January 30, 2014 at 11:41

@crow191049: I think Ollie likes SJ because he is more versatile than the other strikers we've got. He can play on the wing as well as across the front. The only player we have like that is Easter and you have to admit you would prefer Jackson over Easter.

• January 30, 2014 at 13:47

I agree with you there crow, i think it would be a shame to let McDonald go as i think he has done well so far. Looking in the market for a below par striker whose EGO obviously outways his ability isnt the way forward. I love the Holloway revolution but this seems abit strange.
        If Trotter is on his way, which it seems he is, then the most important thing at the moment has to be a replacement for him. On the plus side i do like the no-nonsense approach with players not wishing to commit there future to the club.

In Holloway we trust!

@crow191049:

• January 30, 2014 at 10:02

@NO1LIKESUS:
      RIGHT ITS STILL EARLY DAYS ABOUT " JACKSON " ........
      I'M SURE THERE WILL BE SOME SONGS ABOUT HIM VERY SOON.
      AND HEY !!! , WHAT HAPPENED ABOUT ALL THESE "NEW OLLIE - SONGS " ????
      I CAN'T SAY I HEARD THEM AT THE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MATCH.
      -----------------------
      MAYBE NEXT MATCH !.
      " NO ONE LIKES US WE DON'T CARE "
      STORMIN' NORMAN

• January 30, 2014 at 08:30

Fingers crossed, good player and will score goals for sure.
    shame about scott mcdonald think he's a good player.
    happy ollie has told the players to shape up or ship out.
    good early morning news has made the start to my day all the more sweeter.

• January 30, 2014 at 08:33

Get him in, and get some non Triers out is the message.0

• January 30, 2014 at 08:34

Really hope holloway can work his magic! I've always liked Simeon Jackson and think he'll add balance to our squad!

• January 30, 2014 at 08:49

This is 4 articles rolled into one, great job Aldo. Simeon is a quality striker at our level and would be an exciting addition, but shame to see McD go, I felt he had the most potential to actually go on a scoring run but clearly he has not caught the managers attention.

Agree about the out of contract players, if you wait too long they will go on their terrms, best to force an early decision so all sides know where they are going and replacements can be identified early. With the performances we have seen in the first half of the season, I would not be devastated to lose any of our squad to be honest, they are all replaceable.

• January 30, 2014 at 09:09

YES, I'VE ONLY SEEN BITS ON THE TV OF HIM, AND HE LOOKS LIKE HE'S WILLING TO CHASE AND HAVE A GO........ [ THE TYPE WE WANT - T.HURLOCK, L.BRILEY, B KITCHENER, T.TOWNER TYPE ],
    SO YEP, OLLIE KEEP DOING THE RIGHT THINGS LIKE YOU ARE IS MY MESSAGE, AND GET SOME IN.
    FANS ARE CREEPING BACK, BUT ONLY SLOWLY AT THE MOMENT.......................
    " NO ONE LIKES US, WE DON'T CARE "
    STORMIN' NORMAN...............................SUPPORTS THE MANAGER ALL - THE - WAY .

• January 30, 2014 at 09:11

Ollie IMO you got in wrong starting Keogh but you did remove him as he was never in the game, anothe CB when we have 4 and 5 as Williams sometimes plays there, as he did on Tuesday after Lowery was dismissed, If Mac goes I wish him all the best as he always seemed to give it is all when playing for the Wall, unlike some of his team mates. So he will be making way for Jackson if Ollie gets him.

There should be a lot fo movement at the club today and tomorrow as he will need to trim the wage bill as the new players he has brought in are high earners, so Aldo keep as up to date as quick as you can please.

• January 30, 2014 at 09:29

Jackson will be a great signing if we can pull this 1 off. I think we will ship a few out in next couple of days and happier days are a head at the den with mr holloway in charge at least his got the balls to tell players how it is for so long now most of the players have been under performing and not been dropped from the team until now so about time they did and good to see the spirit is returning to den

• January 30, 2014 at 09:33

Its taken ollie 2 weeks to sus out this squad. right back-sorted, central midfield-sorted, strickers-sorted, center back-being sorted, soon to be out of contract players-being sorted. He's done more since he's been here than the other plum did in 6 months.

• January 30, 2014 at 09:40

Tryed to get him in the summer...AA & SL made a right dogs dinner of it... Olly you mite have to do the work on this..totally agree about the contracts been going on miles to long...this is mainly down to greedy reps

• January 30, 2014 at 09:47

I'm not convinced but as the others are not exactly scoring fun fun, come on and give it a go

COYL

• January 30, 2014 at 09:54

ive liked mcdonald at times this season he has a class look about him on the ball and its a shame it hasnt worked out but for the wages hes on and if hes being disruptive like people have been reporting then i have no time for him at my club! Jackson would be an excellent signing finally some pace upfront

• January 30, 2014 at 09:54

I think McDonald is probably one of our better strikers, but he does get injuries quite regularly and if he wants to go we should cash in. Jackson will be a good replacement.
    I am a fan of Easter but Holloway had him at Palace and obviously doesn't rate him as he was sent out on loan to us, so I think he'll be off. I don't think Marquis is up to Championship standard but maybe Holloway and Harris can improve his game. Keogh has been off the pace for a while but I reckon we should keep him as he has the ability. I don't think we'll keep Morison after this season because he just isn't scoring but who knows.
    Whichever way you cut it, Campbell and Jackson are an improvement of the squad.

• January 30, 2014 at 09:58

At last, a boss who tells players to sign up or f*** off! Stop taking the clubs money if you dont want to be here, or else show some commitment and work hard to get us out of the situation you helped put us in, tos*ers

• January 30, 2014 at 10:12

I would welcome this and I've just read we are battling with Burnley for Ed Upson of Yeovil. Exciting times. COYL

• January 30, 2014 at 10:12

just seen on SKY that Bolton are afetr Trotter

• January 30, 2014 at 10:14

IH staying to get his squad together now, like Jackson would be a great signing!
    Liked Scott Macdonald when he first came to the den but has been crap lately and all he seems to do is moan on the pitch.
    Would also love Forde and Trotter to sign up but if they don't want to be part of the IH revolution then they can go and play in some BIGGER teams reserves!!!!!

• January 30, 2014 at 10:22

IMO a great signing I can't believe there are people asking what has he done well he scored a packet load for gillingham then in partnership with grant holt scored the goals that got Norwich into the PL then wasn't really given a chance once they were there this guy knows where the back of the net is has pace and scores all types of goals should make a perfect foil for morro. Shame about Scotty mac as its clear he has a touch of class about him just hasn't had the rub if the green.

• January 30, 2014 at 10:27

the reason we are in the market for this man is perfectly clear to me! you lot do realize we have the worse goal difference in the league and our top scorer is a rw player with only 5 this season so far lol plus i heard from a very reliable source mcdonald and holloway have had a bust up the little baby apparently stormed out of training monday after finding out he weren't playing tuesday night, which then i think led to dropping him from the team altogether . f*** the little midget criminal c***! if we've got any more bad apples i don't care who they are OUT EM!!! coz for the first time manage team and fans are united. why should we let 1 or 2 cry baby twats ruin it , well done I:H if there's any more drop kick em lol im sure you will .

• January 30, 2014 at 10:44

Well as glyngo says in his post " all our lot are replaceable", and I would'nt lose any sleep to lose any of em, after all this squad is a mish mash of our two previous managers, we fought relegation for half of last season, and fought relegation for half of this season, that's a season of relegation form, so Ollie, clear the lot out soon as, and get your own lot in.

• January 30, 2014 at 10:55

Would be a good signing for me got pace,power and knows where the goal is I remember the season Norwich went up to prem he banged in over 20 goals for them that season scored some crucial goals aswel
    get him signed up IH/JB

• January 30, 2014 at 11:06

If we get Jackson he will be better than MCd and we have seen what DJ can do. So let IH continue his transformation..

• January 30, 2014 at 11:12

Not as good as Marquis.

Sorry,Ha,ha.

• January 30, 2014 at 11:30

As a Norwich fan, I can tell you Jackson is f**king quick, but his finishing is not always great. He and Morrison usually had Grant Holt alongside them to hold up the ball for either of them.

One thing McDonald does do is win us a lot of free kicks in dangerous areas (although we rarely make anything of them). Not sure we'd get so much of that with Jackson.

That said, if McDonald is disruptive to the squad as people say, and as Morrison gets older and loses his pace, I think they would play well together.

• January 30, 2014 at 11:47

Keep Mc Donald and develop him into a attacking mid fielder. He is skillful enough and his attitude ids great.
    Then....Dump Trotter who is brilliant but mentally very lazy, when he turns up!... . With the money, buy someone who can hold the ball...a Briley type! In Ollie we trust! COYL

• January 30, 2014 at 11:53

I think its clear that IH want to play attacking, pressing football and needs players that are high energy, FIT and pacey which Jackson epitomizes. With regards to McD, i like him as a player and he has fantastic technique and poise on the ball and he's first touch is the best in the squad, But he's slow, injury prone, un-fit, want too much time on the ball and not aggressive or quick enough when closing players down. I think IH is doing the right thing in pursuing SJ and letting McD go....IMHO

• January 30, 2014 at 12:51

@Windy:
      yes we lack pace - we couldn't get behind Wednesday -if the full backs can't overlap then someone up front needs to stretch teams and with Mac and Morison we can't do that - he is playing Bundesliga football - i am sure he can cope with bottom 6 championship

• January 30, 2014 at 12:55

@Windy:
      Exactly what I think as well about McD Windy. Plus the fact that he wont play the simple ball and get caughts in posession. Over rated for the wages he takes from us and if he has already fallen out with Holloway he must be a bit of a plum in my opinion.

• January 30, 2014 at 13:36

@wall2wall: yes - ultimately someone has got to put the ball in the net and Mac won't be doing much of that , for all his effort - There have been numerous times this year (like bailey) where he has mouthed off on the pitch to others on the pitch, who he thought weren't doing a job -he might have a point , but he comes across to me as a sulker - don't forget Boro let him go - to me jackson is more dynamic and will win games with one piece of skill

• January 30, 2014 at 12:43

I'm sure we were after Jackson a few seasons ago, I've always thought he could do a job for us and I'm sure Ollie could get him scoring again.

With regards to him being a similar player to Easter and DJ, I wouldn't be surprised if Easter leaves and DJ is still on loan at the moment so perhaps Ollie is looking at the bigger picture.

As for the with me or out statement, I agree, about time we got rid of all the deadwood sitting on contacts costing the club a fortune and that includes Trotter who seems disinterested and I'd get rid of Keogh as well, sorry but he's never really done it for me, as a striker or in the role he's currently playing.

• January 30, 2014 at 12:53

Would be delighted to sign Simeon Jackson and sorry to loose McDonald. I guess the problem is with McDonald is he didnt show enough commitment during the week away in Portugal which is a bit suprising as he is normally one of the harder working players on the pitch. Bloke has class no dout but his goal return has been very dissapointing.

• January 30, 2014 at 13:01

@Steve: I think McD would have done better playing alongside Hendo or Wood, he never got the service he needed and the last thing you want when you are short is the ball constantly lumped up to you.
      You could see he was getting very frustrated and with no protection from the officials he had no chance, constantly getting flattened and lumps kicked out of him.
      So good luck Mc sorry it didn't work out but no one can say you didn't put a shift in.

• January 30, 2014 at 14:40

@Sealion: Yea cant argue with that. I think his football brain level was a bit ahead of everyone elses

• January 30, 2014 at 13:16

I thought McDonald did well against Ipswich but I won't be losing sleep about selling anyone on this squad, we all know they've been hopeless all season with few exceptions so let the manager get on with it .

• January 30, 2014 at 19:39

@thecolumbusblock: sorry about replying to myself but I very much include trotter in this ,absolute waster.

• January 30, 2014 at 17:03

first of all id like to say good luck to young lion aiden obrien up at torquay hope is loan spell goes well ....fill sorry for md because lets be honest he was a trier and we all know a lot of the players let him down but its a new chapter now in the millwall history book and its great us millwall can come together and be as one so lets get behind the wall for the rest of the season and sing are hearts out for the wall

• January 30, 2014 at 18:49

Jackson in McD out, whats wrong with that? In Ollie We Trust

• January 30, 2014 at 19:30

Agree with Sealion on Mac- He had a good touch and striking technique, but lacked in strength and height. Plus the service he was getting didn't suit him one bit = in the air and not accurate. Not devastated to see him go, as I feel he always had the odds stacked against him when it came down to battles with these big, physical defenders.
    Also agree with North London lion on Keogh as it just seems he can't replicate the form he had playing alongside Kane. He was fantastic during that period- created chances out of nothing by chasing defenders non stop and then clinical to boot. Would love to see him turn it around under IH- his work rate's improved- but he's been off the boil for a long time now...

• April 10, 2017 at 20:45

I like what you dudes are up to. This sort of cool work and exposure! Keep up the fantastic work guys, I've you guys to my blogroll.

• April 11, 2017 at 10:12

Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group? There's a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks

• April 12, 2017 at 10:22

You could certainly see your skills in the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.