Holloway: Millwall were worthy winners against Ipswich

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway admitted he was "made up" with Millwall's battling performance in their 1-0 win over Ipswich Town on Saturday.

Holloway's first home game in charge of the Lions ended in a well-deserved victory thanks to a debut goal from Tottenham loanee Ryan Fredericks.

He said: "I'm made up. The lads deserved it. We took on a fantastic bloke in Mick McCarthy, whose performed almost a miracle in the last year, and I think he'll be disappointed.

"We were up for the fight and ready for it. My question is where has that been in the past? It was a fluke goal, I don't think Ryan meant to do that – it was a cross.

"I'm just delighted we held on. We could have scored a couple more but I'm very pleased for the lads because they gave me what I asked for. For me that's the bare minimum.

"It's nice to get something you've earned."

Fredericks scored the winner just 24 hours after arriving from Spurs.

"Ryan only trained with us for an hour and a half yesterday and I have been particularly pleased with the reaction of the other players to him," Holloway said

"He's replaced a couple of senior pros who I don't think are quite fit enough and haven't been coached to go forward, so I've brought in someone who can do that.

"I had to change both full backs and the players respected and accepted every decision I made today."

Holloway also praised centre backs Danny Shittu and Shane Lowry for their performances – and was delighted with the reception he received from the fans.

"That is how I remember Danny," said Holloway. "I got him believing in himself when he was a few years younger. I thought Shane Lowry alongside him was absolutely immense.

"They were all closing down and pressing – it looked like they were together as a team. Let's hope that continues.

"I loved the crowd – I thought they were brilliant. I love everything about this place, it feels like I've come home. I feel I'm with people who understand me.

"I'm not so sure how many people actually like me but I don't really care – and that rings true around here."

58 thoughts on “Holloway: Millwall were worthy winners against Ipswich

• January 18, 2014 at 18:29

GET IN!

• January 18, 2014 at 18:34

Right now IH everyone likes you. It's so refreshing to hear the managers post comments "they gave me everything I asked for" as supposed to the week in week out b***** of Lomas " we just didn't give it anything"and " I am so disappointed"

• January 18, 2014 at 18:34

well down to ollie , the boys worked there nuts off , BUT TRUE WHERE HAVE THEY BEEN FOR 4 MONTHS ,what a great game against a decent side , BUT FEEL CHEATED FOR THE PREVIOUS GAMES , its a new era now and very excited by what ollie can bring for us, the next home game cant come quick enough for me great stuff today

• January 19, 2014 at 10:04

@munson68: please don't lament on our past fellow lion, our cloud with silver lining has arrived.seeing the team yesterday proved there was very little in the tank under the previous management compared to our new management team who have miles to go

• January 18, 2014 at 18:39

Never seen a manager hug a groundsman before, extraordinary effort ! For all who couldn't make it today I can report it was proper 'wall

• January 18, 2014 at 18:41

Well done boys,performance was far from polished but nobody who attended today could doubt the effort they put in.COYL

• January 18, 2014 at 18:44

Brilliant. So much effort and a fluke goal in our favour. Ain't been able to say that for ages. Even the officials were good.

• January 18, 2014 at 20:39

@bonnie1272: Are you sure about that Bonnie? IH was doing his nut at the side of the pitch to both the 4th official and the linesman - perfectly justified, but he ranted for about 5 mins!!

Superb effort by the boys, all I ever ask for is 100% effort and we got that today. Shittu was immense as was Lowry, so glad they are both back on form. Only change I'd make is McDonald, I thought he was lacking something today.

• January 18, 2014 at 21:29

@crossenoughtogrowl: I agree, I saw him and thought he was quite hilarious.

Can you imagine if he had been the manager in the last few games with the officials we got then?

• January 19, 2014 at 11:15

@crossenoughtogrowl:

They say footballs about opinions and this typifies it, I thought McDonald was superb today. Played that #10 role well, got on the ball a lot, rarely gave it away and looked our most composed player.

• January 20, 2014 at 08:01

@Tel: Hello Tel Boy. Thought you weren't coming on here anymore? Did you go to the Den because the Anoraks were up at 'borough?
          I thought McDonald was average. Remind me, did he have a shot or anything else that perhaps looked like a shot?

• January 20, 2014 at 09:03

@REAL Supporter: Well I agree with Tel. Surely if you know much about football you will know that McDonald was playing in a striker role but as a link between midfield and attack. He consistently found space to get on the ball and was the only one (maybe Martin aside) who showed real composure. No, he never had a shot but did Morison (our striker)? Playing in that role is about linking up, which he did, not about how many shots. Who would you replace him with, Marquis?

• January 18, 2014 at 18:44

Oh yeah, a few players are going to get their botties smacked in the next couple of weeks, and can then go and sit on someone else's bench.
    To those players that have been taking the p***, I thnk it would be a very good idea if they donated a percentage of their earnings so far this season to Neil's charity. And then say sorry.

• January 18, 2014 at 18:52

Over the moon. Just know that he has already identified the issues with the team and that he'll react to sort it out. A proper manager who will get us all dreaming of a bit of success. I've got my fingers crossed he brings in a quality striker that finally beats the Goddard transfer fee! Absolutely buzzing tonight. Got my mates birthday and the vodka is going to go down all the sweeter! COYL

• January 18, 2014 at 18:59

@NICKOLA: yes wood and mac together would be great stuff

• January 18, 2014 at 19:02

@NICKOLA: but I reckon we can get wood for 500k. Why would we break the bank when we don't need to. Otherwise look elsewhere

• January 18, 2014 at 19:15

@bonnie1272: Well, he can't start a game for Leicester in the championship, so certainly won't if they go up. That might give him food for thought. He's proven at this level and we all know what he is capable of. I'd sign him up to a million quid including add-ons. Ollie is going to be getting rid of a few so that would help fund it, albeit by a little.

• January 18, 2014 at 19:21

@NICKOLA: nik the players he gets rid of, may just cover the wages. Last time they tried to sign him, JB was quoted as saying he would've been the most paid player for us ever. I don't think we need to break the bank this time round. I'm also sure Ollie will have other players on the radar. I also think Morison will come good as well and may be a cheaper option in the summer, Leeds must want rid.

• January 18, 2014 at 18:52

it might have been a fluke goal but from where I sat it looked a great goal.it certainly was not a fluke loan signing from yet again spurs who have over many seasons provided players who we have bought or loaned from.he looked comfortable on the ball,and with a bit of savvy.well done from me to the whole board for taking on mr ian Holloway and staff.no more critism from me to the board.superb transformation.

• January 18, 2014 at 18:56

He says this is the bare minimum he wants, brilliant, there can be no giong back now,, bringing in young Ryan worked out and the lad delivered so well done to him. Danny and Shane were stalwarts after taking a lot of stick from some fans so lets give them some praise as well. Byfield in goal had a nervy task after replacing Forde but also did his job as all the team did. For once let's give them a great big round of applause. They will come back from Portugal a new team! (Any spare places?)

• January 18, 2014 at 19:07

Not having endorsed the Lomas era with any attendance, I have been following the Lions via News At Den all season. Back in the fold today I did not recognise the team as the one I had ben reading about in the posts all season.
    The team playes ad a unit...A bold move to put Morrisson McDonald and Keogh in the same team but it seemed to work. Everyone played their part even the officials were a much better standard than usual.
    Morrisson and Keogh pressed and harried superbly....McDonald was tricky....Malone and Lowry paired up well...I think Martin just edged MOM what a shame he blazed over the bar after doing all the hadd work.

Even the crowd clapping off the Ipswich player that was obviously hurt bad. Did I notice the missing fitness coach as one of the stretcher barers.

I have a 100% attendance to win ratio this season....Myself and IH have really made a difference

• January 18, 2014 at 19:07

Was there today and must say the players efforts were fantastic! To see a lot of them towards the end suffering from cramp really proved how much work was put in! It also shows just how unfit they really are though. The crowd was excellent and really got behind the lads. Lots of work still to do but it was a real privilege being there today 🙂

• January 18, 2014 at 22:21

@m4rky8oy: I agree with you particularly the crowd. I did not hear one negative comment toward any of our players at all today. How very refreshing.

• January 19, 2014 at 13:45

@bonnie1272: bloke sat behind me repeatedly called bywater a west ham c*** as he was making his way on the pitch. How nice of him.

• January 19, 2014 at 13:52

@MFC Lion: yeah well that might of been me!!

• January 18, 2014 at 19:33

The good defence was there all the time, just needed the odd kick up the **se ! Ollie has the advantage over the Ginger in that he doesn't have to live up to his predecessor, so he can make his own choices & rattle a few 'senior' faces. Now to make a serious hole in that G Difference, could be vital come the death ! So the front line needs a shake up, and I reckon he's just the man to do it ! ... Onwards & UPWARDS.

• January 19, 2014 at 10:12

@frank: Except for quiet a fwe the idiots in the Upper CBL booing Bywater as he came on to subsitute Forde (how stupid, we are 1-0 up and the last thing we needed was a goalkeeper lacking even more confidence!) And to a lesser extent they did the same when he (Bywater) came over to applaud the (CBL) crowd at the end of the game (think he was the only MFC player to do it!). MFC really do have some moorons who are supposedly supporter!

• January 18, 2014 at 19:35

mustard today fluke goal who cares. every player put in a shift,.well done lads you've earned back a bit of pride in yourselves and for the badge.

• January 18, 2014 at 19:53

@TONY BLOCK28:

I thought he disguised the shot well

• January 18, 2014 at 19:51

Me & my boy have just got back from the game,wow what a transformation.
    Danny shiftu & Shane Lowry were the stand out players for me today in a great team effort.
    What a difference a proper manager makes.
    Ollie I Love the way you direct the team from the touch line & show us your pride & passion something that has been missing from the Den for far to long.
    Also great to see you hugging the groundsmen at the final whistle & showing everyone that we are all part of the same team no matter what role you play at the club.
    Keep up the good work boy's cos I feel like I got my Millwall back today.
    Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

• January 18, 2014 at 19:59

We got our Millwall back

• January 18, 2014 at 20:07

Excellent stuff boys, am gutted I couldnt go today but like wall my daughter put in a massive shift in her show along with her team mates, collectively outstanding and giving their all for the cause.
    What a win double.
    was keeping up with the game on twitter, first time I'vedone that and was pleasantly surprised to see chaplow tweet on the goal, hever never made the squad today but was pleased as punch. Credit to all today.
    Thanks IH and to JB for making us proud of our club again.
    Miiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllll.

• January 18, 2014 at 22:23

@lukesmithmfc: they did us proud mate. You would've loved it. Was a proper wall performance.

• January 18, 2014 at 22:50

@bonnie1272: is it worth watching fls tonight bonn ?
        Im going next couple games but now worried I might be a bad omen, if we lose to Wednesday bonn you can blame me

• January 18, 2014 at 21:02

Gotta give Ollie credit here. He's come in only 12 days ago, brought in a terrific right back (to shore up an obvious weak area). stopped us bleeding goals inside two games, got players using the ball wisely (with great shape of 4-2-3-1), read the riot act to the players, taken us fans and the club to heart, aquired good coaching staff and had JB fork out for a tough training visit to Portugal. The man is a bloody miracle worker!! COYL

• January 18, 2014 at 21:39

Don't know what my best moment was, seeing Holloway have a go at the linesman or seeing him kiss most of the players and hug all the groundsmen at the end. Mr Holloway in a short space of time you have done wonders. You have got the team playing the ball on the deck, you have got all the players working hard,you have got the whole place buzzing, and you have given us our Millwall back. I know it's early days but I'm sure there's plenty more to come and I can't wait.

• January 18, 2014 at 22:06

Brilliant transformation. How long were people on here telling that Ginger idiot to play Lowry at centre back. Even the substitutions made sense.

• January 18, 2014 at 22:15

IH has admitted that this is the most unfit squad he has ever taken over, that showed at the end with 3 or 4 players down with cramp, this was probably due to the fact that they ALL gave 100% for the whole game, which we have not seen for a long while, can you imagine what we could be capable of when they are fit ? Difficult to believe we have just watched the same team

• January 18, 2014 at 23:00

Have we got a song for holloway yet ?

• January 19, 2014 at 09:53

@lukesmithmfc: no need luke I have just looked up ih family tree it seems he was related to Stanley Holloway so he can sing one better than us on his own.

• January 19, 2014 at 00:47

Ollie and Millwall are definitely a good match of personalities, no matter what the eventual outcome.

• January 19, 2014 at 02:00

@glyngo: he mite be a raving loon..but he is a bloody genius.....wot a defference...bring it on sheff/wed

• January 19, 2014 at 08:59

What a difference a day makes. Over the moon with the effort from the team, and a nice pop at Dunne in IH comments. I hope the trip to Portugal makes or breaks the players and the ones it breaks, bye bye. COYL

• January 19, 2014 at 09:10

Absolutely superb afternoon. Was made very welcome by all the the back room staff and players whilst pitch side with my sons birthday package. Thank you once again Millwall.
    It got better as the afternoon went on. If you ignore the result for a minute, even if we lost I think that most fans would have been chuffed with the way we played. The movement off the ball was good, the passing was some of the best I've seen in a long time and all the players busted a gut for most of the ninety minutes. Even Trotter appeared to put in a proper shift. Some got tired towards the end, fair enough I suppose. I also thought all the substitutions made sense. What a change already. Mr Holloway you have already made a lot of disgruntled, disillusioned and angry fans happy. Long may it continue. We've got our Millwall back we've got our Millwall back.

• January 19, 2014 at 11:26

Definitely need a Holloway song. Thought our reception for him was average at best....he took the time to run to all 3 home stands before and after the game to acknowledge everyone and the most we could muster was a timid round of applause. A pal I was with suggested bringing back the infamous 'oh teddy, teddy' chant with an 'oh olly, olly'.

• January 19, 2014 at 16:29

@Tel:
      No way was that a timid around of applause in my opinion.
      Also at Millwall you have to prove yourself and I thought it was bang on personally and I reckon he would of thought it was alright too.

• January 19, 2014 at 11:57

Great day at the Den. Did not look the same team as only a few weeks ago. Bit fed up with idiots who shouted West Ham scum to Bywater, those days are long past and he plays for us now,. Ollie seems to be shaking things up, Keep the results coming lads. COYL

• January 19, 2014 at 12:20

Cracking performance and cracking atmosphere yesterday. First time the players have performed like a team and although we rode our luck at times felt anything less than a win would be unjust. Was some slick little moves in the middle of the park as the players extra work rate meant they were a lot closer to each other which meant the usual long ball tactics were no longer needed. I thought Shittu had a stormer, won every header, led from the back and even went on a mini run with the ball in the second half. Was my man of the match and looks a different player under holloway!! Really hope we can build on this result and pull away from the bottom three, only downer was all the teams below us picked up wins as well. Having busy stands must have added to the performance, hopefully we can keep that up to egg the lads on. Roll on Tuesday week, Milllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

• January 19, 2014 at 13:57

Shittu did have a great game. If he can repeat that for the rest of the season then on average he can look back and say his season was acceptable.

Same goes for most of the squad. One good shift hasn't made me forget the other 20+ games!

• January 19, 2014 at 15:31

OLLIE OUT !

• January 19, 2014 at 17:31

1 Voice for wall ours and IH our 12th man on the side who knows how to manage and orchestrate the fans great game 110% from all the players the only way is UP .